Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Don’t like it? Cancel.
I just need some details, just like the others posting.
Old 06-24-18, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Hmmmmm. I’m on the annual plan right now until December. Not sure how this will effect me...
Old 06-24-18, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I imagine those that go weekends after 6pm will see​ the peak pricing for big movies. I would hate to work customer service for them when that hits.

But, I welcome the option to use it for the few occasions I hit IMAX (which is the AMC).
Old 06-24-18, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I imagine those that go weekends after 6pm will see​ the peak pricing for big movies. I would hate to work customer service for them when that hits.
I could definitely see weekend nights for big movies get the peak pricing. My local theater has discounted ticket prices on Tuesdays, though, and some evenings tend to get slammed. I guess that would be peak, too.

I'm not thrilled about that change, but if it helps keep them afloat, so be it. It's still a great deal. I tend to go movies during weekend/Wednesday days or right after work during the week, so it would only affect me sporadically. I just wish I knew how much the surcharge will be. And they'd better let you know that there will be a fee (and how much) before you check in, preferably long in advance. (Like if you open the app in the morning to check upcoming showtimes.)

As for the other new options, I wouldn't use them, but cool for everyone else.

Apropos of nothing, I can't believe I've seen 47 movies since I got MP in mid-December. Damn. When this wave inevitably crashes, it'll be back to just Marvel/Star Wars and another movie here or there in the theater and the rest just waiting for streaming/Redbox.
Old 06-24-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

I signed up in October and have seen 19 movies so far. That's more than I would have seen otherwise. However, it's getting less and less good for me. There's only one theater in my town (NCG Theater) and I liked to go there on Mondays for matinees while my kid is at school. It never populates a movie list, with "Unlisted Showtime" being the only option. I've contacted both NCG and Moviepass about it multiple times...each blaming the other. MoviePass said if I continue to use that option to check in, I'll be flagged for abuse.

The next closest theater is a locally owned theater that populated showtimes, I can check in, but the card has been declined all 3 times I've been. The owner uses an iPad and a Square to run the card, and it says "declined". Even though it should just run like any Mastercard, it always declines.

NEXT closest theater (20 miles away) is a Marquee that has great screens and big reclining seats, but only about half of their showings appear in the app. For instance, today they are showing Jurassic Park on 4 screens, but only a 12:50 showing is listed on Moviepass.

I'm tired of trying to work around all the faults with this service, that I thought was AMAZING when I first signed up (my wife has it, and uses it less than I do). Plus we go to a local Drive-In during the summer months, and they are cash only so it's not a MP option. I think I'm just going to check in to movies I want to see when I want to see it, and use the Unlisted Showtime if necessary. If they ban me, so be it. I signed up for "Any Movie, Any Day".

That's not what I have.

And I have had multiple in-app chats with MoviePass about these issues.....and get different excuses every time.

I'll just go back to seeing a few "must see" films in theaters and waiting for them to hit Netflix or HBO.
Old 06-24-18, 12:04 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Again, it’ll likely come down to simple math for every individual. Imagine I’ll always be game to watch 3 films per month for $20. Normally it’d cost me $40 for matinees at my only real theater option. So even if MP’s pending premium time upcharge is $5, and all my showings hit this upcharge, then I’m paying $20 per month for 3 films that would have cost me $40 or more. I’ll stick with it at that price point, and even pay a few extra dollars for the occasional imax or 3D film. But I’m not optimistic it’s going to survive.
Old 06-24-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Movie Pass sounds like the kind of financial hot mess (like timeshare memberships) I try to avoid. Suspicious of their business model.

AMC's version actually makes sense and intrigues me, although it's more expensive and it's terms require family members to have their own memberships.

Considering average AMC ticket prices, the $19.99 monthly fee saves money even if you only see one movie a week. At the max 3 movies a week, that's $1.67 a movie. At that price, there's movies I'd be tempted to see that I otherwise wouldn't give a second thought.
Old 06-24-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I just need some details, just like the others posting.
Then, what was the purpose of the final word of your previous post?
Old 06-24-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Hmmmmm. I’m on the annual plan right now until December. Not sure how this will effect me...
The peak pricing won’t affect you until December. The premium options will be available to you as soon as they are rolled out.

From the email:
Peak pricing - Annual and Quarterly subscribers will not incur peak pricing until their current subscription term ends and then renews.

Premium showings - These features are being tested currently and will slowly roll out to all our members over the next several weeks.

Last edited by RoboDad; 06-24-18 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-24-18, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

And I just finally got the email today about pic submissions.
Old 06-24-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I finally got to use it again at JW this afternoon. Before that it was Deadpool 2 and April before that. Not really getting my money's worth but this time of year I'd rather be chasing a little white ball around a golf course than sitting in a theater. Rained today so made my decision for me. Still have not gotten an email about uploading ticket stubs.
Old 06-24-18, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I don't really get the Surge Pricing thing - unless it's just a way for them to get some additional income.

I saw how the stub uploading could cut down on folks using their cards for ineligible movies or concessions.
I understood why limiting visits to one per movie could keep folks from costing them a fortune seeing the same movie over and over again.
But the movie costs the same whether you see it 8 pm on Friday night or at 5 on a Thursday, so why change the Surge fee, unless they just thing they can milk a few extra bucks out of their subscribers.
Old 06-25-18, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

The peak pricing won’t affect you until December. The premium options will be available to you as soon as they are rolled out.

From the email:
I'm pretty sure if you opt in to use premium upgrades you have to also opt into the surge pricing as an annual member. So either keep your legacy terms or convert over.

Also, it's obviously a way to get more money/ keep them afloat, whether it's to get more direct revenue from the surcharge or discourage people from using the service as often.
Old 06-25-18, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm pretty sure if you opt in to use premium upgrades you have to also opt into the surge pricing as an annual member. So either keep your legacy terms or convert over.
The email was pretty specific in stating that the peak pricing policy would not affect current annual and quarterly subscribers until their next renewal.

That makes sense because it is a policy change/restriction, not a new opt-in additional service. The other new features don’t take away any benefits for any subscribers.

I suspect that the actual implementation of the peak pricing policy is that, when it rolls out to everyone, it will take effect at the start of each member’s next billing cycle, whether that is monthly, quarterly, or annually.

But, of course, you are free to believe whatever you wish.
Old 06-25-18, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The email was pretty specific in stating that the peak pricing policy would not affect current annual and quarterly subscribers until their next renewal.

That makes sense because it is a policy change/restriction, not a new opt-in additional service. The other new features don’t take away any benefits for any subscribers.

I suspect that the actual implementation of the peak pricing policy is that, when it rolls out to everyone, it will take effect at the start of each member’s next billing cycle, whether that is monthly, quarterly, or annually.

But, of course, you are free to believe whatever you wish.
Or I can believe what a reddit verified Moviepass employee said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassCl...lu&sh=33c646e0

The annual plan members would have to take the good (premium) and the bad (peak) together in order to gain access. It's your choice.
But you believe what you wish. Granted given the general level of customer service the guy could be mistaken.
Old 06-25-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't really get the Surge Pricing thing - unless it's just a way for them to get some additional income.

I saw how the stub uploading could cut down on folks using their cards for ineligible movies or concessions.
I understood why limiting visits to one per movie could keep folks from costing them a fortune seeing the same movie over and over again.
But the movie costs the same whether you see it 8 pm on Friday night or at 5 on a Thursday, so why change the Surge fee, unless they just thing they can milk a few extra bucks out of their subscribers.
I think they just want to discourage people from going to the movies. Such a weird service where their interest is for you to not use the service.

Kinda pathetic that these supposedly super smart CEO can't figure out a way to make Moviepass beneficial to both the theaters and their company.
Old 06-25-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or I can believe what a reddit verified Moviepass employee said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassCl...lu&sh=33c646e0

But you believe what you wish. Granted given the general level of customer service the guy could be mistaken.
I will choose to believe what the official company statement specifically indicated, not what some "employee" rambles on Reddit.
Old 06-25-18, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

So far I have paid MoviePass since last August and have yet to see one movie. I just don't have time anymore and when I do, I go with my daughter and we order online due to reserved seating which doesn't work with MoviePass. I should probably cancel especially with all the restrictions coming. I like the idea of being able to go for "free" when I want, I just haven't been able to make it work.
Old 06-25-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Dang, I would've cancelled months ago. I wonder how many others are in the same shoes.
Old 06-25-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
So far I have paid MoviePass since last August and have yet to see one movie. I just don't have time anymore and when I do, I go with my daughter and we order online due to reserved seating which doesn't work with MoviePass. I should probably cancel especially with all the restrictions coming. I like the idea of being able to go for "free" when I want, I just haven't been able to make it work.
Why would you keep it 10 months and not even see 1 per month? I realize things come up sometimes which hinders free time, but you basically wasted $100. You should have asked yourself at first do I have time for an all you can watch movie service? Sounds like a huge misjudgment on your part. Got caught up on getting into the hype I guess?

Last edited by DJariya; 06-25-18 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-25-18, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Why would you keep it 10 months and not even see 1 per month? I realize things come up sometimes which hinders free time, but you basically wasted $100. You should have asked yourself at first do I have time for an all you can watch movie service? Sounds like a huge misjudgment on your part. Got caught up on getting into the hype I guess?
Ssh, he's subsidizing the rest of us, c'mon now.
Old 06-25-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Ssh, he's subsidizing the rest of us, c'mon now.
True Movie pass should thank him for the free money.

So please Josh carry on with your subscription.
Old 06-25-18, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
True Movie pass should thank him for the free money.

So please Josh carry on with your subscription.

That's what I was going to say.
Old 06-26-18, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Stock at 29 cents ...
Old 06-26-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There's a reddit ama (ask me anything) with Mitch Lowe today (coincidentally the same day that AMC launches their program), it starts in 10 minutes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm...80&sh=79e45fc8

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.