Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 04-29-24, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 830 Likes on 390 Posts
Re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yes, with one of the original founders, right?
Yes, that's correct. I'm a member and it works fine for me.
Old 04-29-24, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,330 Likes on 906 Posts

Why would you be suspect of this being a puff piece? I mean, the relaunch e-mails had more information about his book than about the service.
Old 04-30-24, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Why would you be suspect of this being a puff piece? I mean, the relaunch e-mails had more information about his book than about the service.
I just figured "as told through the eyes of the visionary founders" meant it was from one point of view and since one of those founders runs the new moviepass, they'd take that opportunity to talk about the new service and how it's different. Not a puff piece per se but definitely helping to get the word out.
Old 05-16-24, 10:39 AM

Received 4,808 Likes on 3,253 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
https://www.ifccenter.com/films/moviepass-moviecrash/
MoviePass, MovieCrash (2024)
MOVIEPASS, MOVIECRASH chronicles the origin story, meteoric rise and stranger-than-fiction implosion of the theatrical movie subscription app, MoviePass, as told through the eyes of the visionary co-founders. The film details the unique challenges they faced in building the pop culture phenomenon, only to eventually find themselves cast aside, watching from the sidelines, as new executives seized control and havoc ensued

This debuts on Max on May 29. I'm a little skeptical about how the logline seems to lionize the founders.
Old 05-29-24, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Up on Max now, great doc, feel bad for the original guys, makes me want to take a look at MoviePass again and resubscribe just to support the original guy.

Farnsworth and Lowe are a bunch of clowns, hope they get whatís coming.
Old 05-30-24, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,898 Likes on 2,784 Posts

Just finished the documentary. Really good film. Mitch and Ted both belong in prison, especially Ted.

I hope Moviepass 3.0 works out for Stacy Spikes. He seems like a good guy. Although it’s not for me. I already explained in this thread the new pricing structure is too expensive if you live in a major city.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-30-24 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-30-24, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 790 Likes on 642 Posts

I never used it but I watched the documentary.

It is nice the original founder is back but could it work today with less people going to the theater and streamers were still in their infancy when moviepass was a success?
Old 05-30-24, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I never used it but I watched the documentary.

It is nice the original founder is back but could it work today with less people going to the theater and streamers were still in their infancy when moviepass was a success?
Could what work today? The Mitch and Ted era? No way, unless they were able to pressure the theaters to actually work with them. They were basically just giving away money. The only way it could work is if people subscribed and never used it, and the subscription more than covered the cost of going to the movies. But why would subscribers stay?

Last edited by fujishig; 05-30-24 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-30-24, 09:55 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 887 Posts

Watched the doc. It was good and was nice to have some gaps filled in from that whole timeline, but it also just felt like an ad for the relaunched service. I was tempted to sign up again, but the credits distribution seems to have gotten a bit worse at some point as noted by someone else in this thread. Maybe Iíll check it out after summer is over.

The more interesting story here, to me, is the ever more frequent cases of venture capital firms buying ownership of companies, spending all the money and/or incurring insurmountable debt for the company, then taking off when it falls apart. Every case is unique, but thereís some similarities between MoviePass, Toys R Us, Red Lobster, etc.
Old 05-30-24, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I just finished the doc and found it interesting. I was an early adopter of MP and quite happy to pay $30-40 a month in exchange for feeling like I was in some kind of exclusive club that allowed me to make the movie theater a daily home away from home. I knew the $10 would never last long, but I was surprised at the doc revelation of Ted being nothing more than a stock hustler instead of a real businessman who had a legit plan for MP profitability.

I can't imagine how infuriating it had to be for the founders to see their stock valued at 80 million become only worth pennies. Ironically, the company might have thrived due to covid. Like the insurance biz, it needed customers to pay for the service but not use it. The difference is insurance customers hope they never have to use it where MP customers feel like they are throwing their money away if they use the service.

Last edited by dvdjunkie32; 05-30-24 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-30-24, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,898 Likes on 2,784 Posts

Mitch Lowe was basically a snake oil salesman, who was spewing nothing but lies to keep the company afloat. I was actually surprised that he participated in this film. Maybe he was hoping to try to redeem himself. Not surprised that Farnsworth didn't participate. That guy is nothing more than a white collar criminal.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Abob Teff (06-01-24), Dan (05-31-24)
Old 05-31-24, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I just finished the doc and found it interesting. I was an early adopter of MP and quite happy to pay $30-40 a month in exchange for feeling like I was in some kind of exclusive club that allowed me to make the movie theater a daily home away from home. I knew the $10 would never last long, but I was surprised at the doc revelation of Ted being nothing more than a stock hustler instead of a real businessman who had a legit plan for MP profitability.

I can't imagine how infuriating it had to be for the founders to see their stock valued at 80 million become only worth pennies. Ironically, the company might have thrived due to covid. Like the insurance biz, it needed customers to pay for the service but not use it. The difference is insurance customers hope they never have to use it where MP customers feel like they are throwing their money away if they use the service.
Can you elaborate on the covid part? They would've stopped losing money hand over fist because the theaters were closed but I also think it would've made people cancel in droves and would've been a nail in the coffin (if they weren't already dead). Same with the emergence of Stubs A List and the other programs straight from the theaters themselves. The only thing I could think is if it made theaters desperate enough to play ball with them.
Old 05-31-24, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,280 Likes on 985 Posts

Watched it this morning and it was really good. Typical that the brothas got usurped from their own company by the white folk. And they tanked it.