Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-22, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I was able to just now join the waitlist and instantly received a confirmation email.
I do have and like AMC A List but if/when MP comes out, time to make a decision. But I'm actually not even seeing all that many movies in the theatre anymore, maybe I should not have either plan.
Old 08-25-22, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,720 Posts

I just checked my email and the last email I got from them was in 2019 and it made me laugh:

An exclusive offer for past subscribers:
Come back to MoviePass and join our Uncapped Plan for only $14.95 a month.

And then in tiny print:

Your movie choices may be restricted due to excessive individual usage which negatively impacts system-wide capacity. See Terms of Use section 2.5 for further details.

I guess if they're going to start monetizing selling info (I still don't know how else they're going to generate money) getting everyone to give them their email address and zipcode again is a good start.
Old 08-25-22, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I joined the waitlist.
Thanks for signing up for the MoviePass waitlist. If you'd previously joined, your first spot is saved. We'll let you know when you're eligible to sign up! — The MoviePass Team
I have no idea what it is but I figured I'm in until it costs something.
Old 08-26-22, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

I got the wait list email. I put me email in for shits and giggles. I want to see what chains are signing up for this. Doesn't cost me anything to see more details.
Old 08-26-22, 06:39 AM
Banned

Received 378 Likes on 296 Posts

Cool! I’m in!

What did I get?
Old 08-26-22, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
Cool! I’m in!

What did I get?
More spam email?
Old 08-28-22, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have and love A-List, so I wouldn't let go of that under any circumstances, but I am cautiously optimistic about this now 3rd go-round of Moviepass.

I'll wait and see what the value prop is of their "credit" system. If it gets me some movies at a reduced rate at non-AMC theaters I'd like to frequent more often, yeah, I'm buying in. But with a virtual CC, I want to get out on my terms if (or better, when) it all goes up in flames again.
Old 08-29-22, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

The new/old CEO, Stacy Spikes, has been trying to get PreShow off the ground for the past couple years. The concept was originally watch 15-20 minutes of ads, and get a free movie ticket. It had a facial recognition component that would track your gaze to make sure you were watching the ads, and would pause when you weren't giving it your attention. It kind or crashed and burned or fizzled out when the pandemic started, and many people couldn't use the virtual credit card to buy movie tickets. You can read more about their experiences in the PreShow subreddit.

Last year, they relaunched as PreShow Interactive, which, in exchange for watching ads, gave you virtual currency you could use to buy in-game items for popular video games. I can't find any experiences, so it seems like it was a very small beta group, if it ever was working at all.

So, now we have new MoviePass, and it sounds like he's still trying to leverage this ad-attention technology. Aside from the name, it seems like it will operate essentially like PreShow. It has the same sounding credit system, and gaze-tracking system. It sounds like you'll get a set number of credits per month for your $10, $20, or $30 membership, and you can get extra credits by watching ads, and then convert them into movie tickets. I suspect this will crash and burn like all the previous PreShow iterations.
Old 08-29-22, 05:00 PM
Banned

The way they’re pushing this hard with all the emails they’ve sent me seems pretty scammy.
Old 08-29-22, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,353 Likes on 978 Posts

I only got the one email about the wait list.
Old 08-30-22, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Yeah. One email about the waitlist opening on whichever day it opened. Then one email that I was on the waitlist.
The following users liked this post:
TomOpus (08-30-22)
Old 08-30-22, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jjcool
Yeah. One email about the waitlist opening on whichever day it opened. Then one email that I was on the waitlist.
I got a few more. Either way they say little to nothing about it.
Old 09-02-22, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,356 Likes on 928 Posts

I received this:

Thank you for joining our free wait list! In order to continue to hold your spot in line, please update your credit card information. For just $14.99 per month, we will make sure your spot in line is not lost. Thank you for your interest in MoviePast, where you can watch unlimited* movies if you can get past our bullshit.

*Unlimited is, of course, being used ironically and refers to a finite number of carefully curated movies which you can enjoy as long as you don't enjoy them too often.

PS -- Ted is asking all MoviePast lovers to send lawyers, guns, and money ...

Old 09-05-22, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm. You seem to be the only one mentioning them asking for a credit card number already. Interesting.
Old 09-05-22, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Last email I got was just the waitlist confirmation. Said they'll let me when I'm eligible to sign up.
Old 09-06-22, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 189 Posts

Did you all read the email he posted? It was a joke

I'm on the waitlist also. I got my money's worth and got hundreds of tickets. I quit right before it went bad coincidentally due to lack of time.
Old 09-06-22, 08:40 AM

Received 2,272 Likes on 1,329 Posts

Every time we get an email from them my spouse and I have a good laugh, which really is the best medicine, so maybe I can pay for a membership out of my HSA.
Old 09-06-22, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It wouldn't be Moviepass if they promised something and didn't deliver.

They did say that invites to the Beta cities would go out over Labor Day weekend and that doesn't appear to have happened. They just today confirmed on Twitter the list of the Beta cities - which they had already confirmed to press outlets early last week.
Old 09-06-22, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Just got this email from them. They are testing it in Chicago, Dallas and Kansas City.
Old 09-06-22, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in Chicago, looks like the launch is still a few weeks out even for those in the test cities.

1. In the coming weeks, we’ll send out exclusive access codes to create your account and sign up for your desired plan. To ensure we are able to meet demand, a limited number of access codes to the MoviePassBETA will be sent at a time. When you receive your code is based on your place in the waitlist.
Old 09-06-22, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Not a good value at all unless you have no access to Alamo, Regal, or A-list.

Old 09-06-22, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just got this email from them. They are testing it in Chicago, Dallas and Kansas City.
Yep, got my email tonight. I would've preferred the number of movies was per WEEK instead of per MONTH.
Old 09-07-22, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

That is some pretty poor scaling on the pricing. Your first $10 gets you up to 3 movies? But each additional $10 adds only one more movie, at best, to that?
Old 09-07-22, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not even sure how this works for them if they didn't cut any deals with theaters. I don't think most theaters do variable pricing now, do they (other than like Tuesday 5 dollar days or something)? I know the Batman did some kind of extra surcharge, but otherwise it costs the same amount of money to watch a movie at 7pm on Saturday as it does 7pm on Wednesday. And even beyond that, if the price of the tickets they're buying exceeds the monthly price (and why would you subscribe if it doesn't) again how are they making money? Assuming people will sub and forget to watch movies?

Maybe they forgot to add the whole "watch ads on the platform to get points" stuff yet?

Also why not just invite your "friend" and get two basics instead of upgrading to the next tier?
Old 09-07-22, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, potentially, in the top markets, this is $10 per ticket. In itself that isn't a bad deal, especially for some of the premium formats (IMAX, etc) Sadly, this is nowhere near the deal that the original Moviepass was. So sad that some assholes scamming the system had to help ruin that for everyone. Thankfully, my circumstances have changed and A-List, which was useless to me in the past, is now a viable option. Once there starts being regular releases of movies that I ma interested in seeing, I am strongly considering jumping on that boat.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.