Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 11-17-17, 03:54 PM
  #651  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 24,425
Received 1,269 Likes on 728 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Upgraded the to new plan both my wife and I. This is a slam dunk for us.
Old 11-17-17, 04:55 PM
  #652  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,135
Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Seriously thinking of switching. I activated my card on Nov 1 and have seen 7 movies at 4 different theaters. Total has been $60 so I would hit $90 in one month. Easy.

Of course, I'm going to the movies more because it's a no-brainer at $10/month. Normally, I would go once a week. Only reservation is if they go under. I have a week or so to think it over.

But, it's a shrewd business move considering December is coming up. Someone mentioned it would be a great Christmas gift, now that you can pay the whole year off. My money is this deal will end come January 1.
Old 11-17-17, 05:05 PM
  #653  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,102
Received 1,912 Likes on 1,480 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by TomOpus
But, it's a shrewd business move considering December is coming up. Someone mentioned it would be a great Christmas gift, now that you can pay the whole year off. My money is this deal will end come January 1.
Also, gifting isn't usually allowed, but they did put some kind of process in place for a limited time.

I think the deal will end when they reach a magic number of paid subscribers...

Oh, I don't remember if it was mentioned here, but when they changed the TOS last month, they put some new language in. One of the new things is that you can't resubscribe for 9 months if you quit.
Old 11-17-17, 05:33 PM
  #654  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 9,413
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Yeah that 9 month thing is a little old, but I saw comments to some of the articles where people said they would cancel and re-sub just in time for the big movie seasons, so I can see MP trying to minimize that extreme example.

Question - how do you all work it when you want to buy multiple tickets for the same showing? As in, seeing a movie with people and want the MP to cover my ticket. I guess I could just ask them to do two totally separate transactions but one of my theatres is assigned seating. Theoretically one could order multiple tix, scan the MP for whatever it went for, then pay out of pocket for the rest, but their TOS are definitely phrased a little firmer than they used to be, especially with that cash charge for each instance of noncompliance.
Old 11-17-17, 06:28 PM
  #655  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,135
Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I would think separate transactions unless the theater allows to use multiple forms of payment for one transaction.

As for reserve seating, just have to make separate transactions and be quick to snag adjoining seats. My app doesn't indicate if theaters have reserved seats even when that's all they have (Alamo).

Speaking of Alamo Drafthouse, when I used my MP there, the counter gal asked if I had checked in. I said "Yep, just did it outside." She said they've been getting people that haven't checked in yet, so they are being proactive in asking.
Old 11-17-17, 07:05 PM
  #656  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 18,206
Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I'm in. I watch 2-3 movies a month. When I don't have MP I don't watch movies but it's a very enjoyable experience for me when I get to do it.
Old 11-17-17, 07:06 PM
  #657  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 18,206
Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Yeah that 9 month thing is a little old, but I saw comments to some of the articles where people said they would cancel and re-sub just in time for the big movie seasons, so I can see MP trying to minimize that extreme example.

Question - how do you all work it when you want to buy multiple tickets for the same showing? As in, seeing a movie with people and want the MP to cover my ticket. I guess I could just ask them to do two totally separate transactions but one of my theatres is assigned seating. Theoretically one could order multiple tix, scan the MP for whatever it went for, then pay out of pocket for the rest, but their TOS are definitely phrased a little firmer than they used to be, especially with that cash charge for each instance of noncompliance.
You start # of people - 1 days ahead. Want to go on a Friday with 2 other people, go on Wednesday, sign in for random movie you don't want to see, get an advance ticket for your movie on Friday. Repeat on Thursday. Then on Friday sign in for your movie and buy the third ticket.

EDIT: They changed their TOS, you used to be able to only see each movie once and now you can see any movie multiple times, so just sign in to your movie on three different days. Even easier.
Old 11-17-17, 07:08 PM
  #658  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 44,102
Received 1,912 Likes on 1,480 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
You start # of people - 1 days ahead. Want to go on a Friday with 2 other people, go on Wednesday, sign in for random movie you don't want to see, get an advance ticket for your movie on Friday. Repeat on Thursday. Then on Friday sign in for your movie and buy the third ticket.
He's not trying to get around the TOS to purchase multiple tickets with his Moviepass account (please don't do this), he's trying to purchase tickets together so they can sit together and just buy his separately with moviepass.
Old 11-17-17, 08:40 PM
  #659  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 9,413
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Yep - I want to buy three tickets, and have MP pay for mine.
MP activates for like 11.50 or something which is slightly more than one ticket (at least matinee), so I either have to pay for one with MP then the others on my card, or run the risk of them catching that I bought 1.25 tickets with the MP instead of just 1.

But tonight it turns out the only seats were in the front row (another side effect of going to reserved seating -bigger seats, so fewer of them, and the front row really sucks), so we didn't see anything tonight.
Old 11-17-17, 09:50 PM
  #660  
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,521
Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I've found that usually at theaters with assigned seating, if you just walk up to the counter with your whole group, they will usually let you select x number of seats together and pay for each seat with a different credit card.

Or another trick that I've used if my friends want to buy tickets in advance, I tell them to buy seats with single seat gap in the middle (usually people won't buy a single open seat in the middle of a row). And then I buy the extra seat with my MoviePass when I get there. Sometimes I have time and am in the area, I will run up and buy the extra seat earlier in the day (instead of waiting until right before showtime)

You are of course taking a risk that someone else might buy that seat, but I've never had that happen yet. If I'm going with just one other person, I have them buy the second seat off the aisle, leaving a single open seat for me.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 11-17-17 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-17-17, 10:42 PM
  #661  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
tanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 9,909
Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by fujishig
Someone mentioned elsewhere that they're planning for an IPO around March of next year. So on the bright side, they should be around at least until then, but this does seem like a way to drum up sub numbers to make the IPO more attractive (though are investors really that dumb to just look at growth and not how they're attaining that growth and whether there's a path to profitability?). But what do we care as long as we can go to cheap movies?
I guess an IPO could be both good and bad. On one hand you (hopefully) have more investors and more cash but on the other hand you need to demonstrate profit and growth a lot more.

Either way there's no way I'd invest in Movie Pass but I sure am going to take advantage of it while it's still here.
Old 11-18-17, 11:00 PM
  #662  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 18,495
Likes: 0
Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Anyone have issues with MP this evening?

Just had my first hiccup and it sure was frustrating. I had checked early in the day and decided to check out a late night showtime. Upon arriving at the theater, I pull up my phone and it shows no theaters available. I was able to click the "no theater" option and had one of "check-in if movie is missing" messages. Only clicking on that did no good, it couldn't tell I was standing right at the front door of the theater. I updated the app and then uninstalled/reinstalled it to no avail.

I had 2 choices, go ahead and pay out of pocket for the film and work on being reimbursed (heard others indicate a need to do that previously) or give up. I chose the latter, now out 45 minutes of my time round trip.

I do plan to contact them about this "glitch", but there's not much they can do about it. Aside from fix it. Just checked my phone now and it still shows no theater.

Hope this difficulty is isolated. I've used MP nearly 25 times and it's been a flawless experience. Tonight was irritating, however.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 11-19-17 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-18-17, 11:21 PM
  #663  
DVD Talk Legend
 
whotony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: ^ Kristen Bell
Posts: 23,025
Received 594 Likes on 429 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I had a hiccup too today. Took a few minutes to load before it accepted my checkin.
Old 11-19-17, 07:01 AM
  #664  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 44,972
Likes: 0
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,082 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Anyone have issues with MP this evening?

Just had my first hiccup and it sure was frustrating. I had checked early in the day and decided to check out a late night showtime. Upon arriving at the theater, I pull up my phone and it shows no theaters available. I was able to click the "no theater" option and had one of "check-in if movie is missing" messages. Only clicking on that did no good, it couldn't tell I was standing right at the front door of the theater. I updated the app and then uninstalled/reinstalled it to no avail.

I had 2 choices, go ahead and pay out of pocket for the film and work on being reimbursed (heard others indicate a need to do that previously) or give up. I chose the latter, now out 45 minutes of my time round trip.

I do plan to contact them about this "glitch", but there's not much they can do about it. Aside from fix it. Just checked my phone now and it still shows no theater.

Hope this difficulty is isolated. I've used MP nearly 25 times and it's been a flawless experience. Tonight was irritating, however.
Have you tried restarting your phone?
Old 11-19-17, 07:20 AM
  #665  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,135
Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Anyone have issues with MP this evening?

Just had my first hiccup and it sure was frustrating. I had checked early in the day and decided to check out a late night showtime. Upon arriving at the theater, I pull up my phone and it shows no theaters available.
Didn't you buy your ticket within the 30 mins from check-in?
Old 11-19-17, 08:43 AM
  #666  
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,521
Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

There was an outage last night. They posted this on their Facebook page just now

Originally Posted by MoviePass
Last night, MoviePass experienced a brief outage that impacted our members' ability to check in to movies. If you are a current member and paid out of pocket Saturday night, please submit your ticket stub or receipt to [email protected]. Thank you.
Old 11-19-17, 01:55 PM
  #667  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,672
Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Month to month is still great, but you guys balking at this concept realize MoviePass locked people into one year contracts in the first few years of the service, at 30-40 a month, right? There was still a risk of them going under, changing the terms, or kicking people out and then making them pay the full fee. Paying 90 up front is pretty damn generous and safe compared to that.
I would much rather lose only $10 than $90, if the program goes under.
Old 11-19-17, 01:57 PM
  #668  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 7,672
Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
You start # of people - 1 days ahead. Want to go on a Friday with 2 other people, go on Wednesday, sign in for random movie you don't want to see, get an advance ticket for your movie on Friday. Repeat on Thursday. Then on Friday sign in for your movie and buy the third ticket.

EDIT: They changed their TOS, you used to be able to only see each movie once and now you can see any movie multiple times, so just sign in to your movie on three different days. Even easier.
But still gaming the system, and violating the TOS.
Old 11-19-17, 02:01 PM
  #669  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 18,495
Likes: 0
Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by dex14
Have you tried restarting your phone?
Yes. Did everything I possibly could. Sounds like it was down for everyone. Hopefully a random event. I've had zero issues until last night.

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Didn't you buy your ticket within the 30 mins from check-in?
I probably wasn't clear. I checked the app that morning for showtimes. There was one at 10:45 last night. Got to the theater and pulled up the app and there were no theater/film listings at all. So I couldn't check in.
Old 11-19-17, 02:04 PM
  #670  
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner
 
Obi-Wanma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 12,521
Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

If you want to buy your ticket out of pocket if/when that happens again, you shouldn't have any problem getting a refund. It might take a couple of weeks for them to get to your email and process your refund, but they will. They will just issue a refund to the card that you pay with in the amount of the ticket. When this has happened to me, I have used that same card to buy the ticket, that way the refund gets issued to the same place.
Old 11-19-17, 02:08 PM
  #671  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Cardsfan111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 18,495
Likes: 0
Received 373 Likes on 234 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
If you want to buy your ticket out of pocket if/when that happens again, you shouldn't have any problem getting a refund. It might take a couple of weeks for them to get to your email and process your refund, but they will. They will just issue a refund to the card that you pay with in the amount of the ticket. When this has happened to me, I have used that same card to buy the ticket, that way the refund gets issued to the same place.
I considered it. And probably would have had I been with others or if it was a film I was really anxious to see. But I figured it would take time based on what you and others have said about their response time and didn't want to go through the hassle.
Old 11-19-17, 08:08 PM
  #672  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,135
Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I probably wasn't clear. I checked the app that morning for showtimes. There was one at 10:45 last night. Got to the theater and pulled up the app and there were no theater/film listings at all. So I couldn't check in.
Gotcha!
Old 11-20-17, 10:20 AM
  #673  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 1,071
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Some may find MoviePass' competitor www.sinemia.com as an option instead of, or complement to, MP.

I heard about it recently but have not given it a try, so this is just a notice that it is out there.

Some features:

Monthly Membership:
 Tickets for any theater, any day, any showtime, any movie
 2D - 3D - IMAX - 4DX - DBOX - ScreenX
 Buy tickets in advance from home or at the theater
 Your card will be sent right away, shipped free
 Bonus: Invitations to premieres, galas, and special events

There is an option of "sinemia for two" so when you buy tickets, you get two tickets instead of one.

The main drawbacks are price and the limit on tickets you buy per month, but there are features that MP does not have.

The main positives are the types of movies you can see, ordering from home, "couples" plan.

The positives don't really fit me other than the ordering at home, so I'll probably pass.
Old 11-21-17, 03:32 PM
  #674  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 40,135
Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Did you guys get the survey email about Justice League? I thought there were two interesting questions.

1) Did you purchase concessions?

2) (paraphrase) Would you have seen it if you didn't have MoviePass?

It was pretty short, only like five or six questions.
Old 11-21-17, 03:33 PM
  #675  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 9,413
Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

There's the direct data-fication. I did not get that survey. Was it email or in the app?
I did buy concessions. and I would have seen JL anyway. But there's a ton of movies I wouldn't have seen without MP.

The few times i had to do the OOP reimbursement, I never had a problem.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.