Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Yeah people were just questioning how this could be a viable business when you're only charging someone $10/month and letting them see up to 30 movies per month, which they pay the theatres full price for.

If you saw 15 movies at $12 per ticket, that's $180 and MoviePass just lost $170 from you. And I along with 3M+ people took full advantage of their stupid business model.
Old 09-22-19, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

And it was a (presumably) viable business before they hired Lowe and went chasing after the pricepoint. It wasn't available in all areas and it was certainly costly but I'm sure some people got their money's worth. It was when they were trying to stay afloat and cooking numbers (look at how many subscribers we have! we have a business model, promise! Those theaters will totally give in! We're going to spend money on films like Gotti to expand our portfolio!) that they got shady, but I guess they had to shut people off and change passwords to even stay afloat at that point.

Costco basically allowed everyone up to a certain date to get a full refund too so I'm sure they took a massive hit with that.
Old 09-23-19, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
And it was a (presumably) viable business before they hired Lowe and went chasing after the pricepoint. It wasn't available in all areas and it was certainly costly but I'm sure some people got their money's worth. It was when they were trying to stay afloat and cooking numbers (look at how many subscribers we have! we have a business model, promise! Those theaters will totally give in! We're going to spend money on films like Gotti to expand our portfolio!) that they got shady, but I guess they had to shut people off and change passwords to even stay afloat at that point.

Costco basically allowed everyone up to a certain date to get a full refund too so I'm sure they took a massive hit with that.
Costco took the hit on that one. I'm sure they didn't get a penny from MP.
The following users liked this post:
MR Round (01-30-20)
Old 09-23-19, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman
Costco took the hit on that one. I'm sure they didn't get a penny from MP.
You don't think so? When it happened moviepass was still a viable business, and costco is pretty ruthless when it negotiates with vendors.
Old 09-23-19, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fujishig
You don't think so? When it happened moviepass was still a viable business, and costco is pretty ruthless when it negotiates with vendors.
I honestly don't know. I would have suspected they would have initially refunded all the customer's money out of their own pocket and if they tried to go after MP for that I wouldn't be surprised if they got shot down. Yeah sure ruthless in negotiations but you have to have a company that cares about their future to care to negotiate. When people started asking for refunds is when the Mission Impossible weekend thing happened and that was the beginning of the end. I'm not privy to info but I wouldn't be surprised that they didn't get a dime out of MP.
Old 10-29-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Still charging those on-file credit cards ... I called it!

https://nypost.com/2019/10/17/moviep...bank-accounts/

MoviePass resurrects from the dead to charge bank accounts

By Nadine DeNinno

October 17, 2019 | 8:13pm | Updated

Enlarge Image

NYPost Composite/ShutterstockThe ghost of the shuttered MoviePass appears to be haunting bank accounts this October.

The movie subscription service, which shut down for good Sept. 14, has allegedly resurrected from the dead, appearing as a variety of mysterious charges on credit cards, former members tell The Post.

Maricar Tinio from Chicago says she was charged twice for unknown fees in September after service was terminated — once for her $9.95 membership and another for $5.64.

“I think they need a class-action lawsuit filed against them,” she says.

Rachel Vidak of Boulder, Colorado, canceled her account in January 2019 when MoviePass “began retracting the promises that made them worthwhile” and was still charged twice in September — once on the day of the shutdown announcement. She ended up filing a fraud claim with her bank to get her money back and is now a member of AMC’s unlimited Stubs program.

“It feels like theft,” she says. “I can say for certain that my trust in them is completely gone. Even if they manage to make a comeback, I strongly doubt I would ever consider going back to them.”

In an email statement to The Post, CEO Mitch Lowe says reports that subscribers were charged following the Sept. 14 service interruption are “false” and former subscribers are simply misreading their bank accounts.

“One single subscriber, out of the many thousands of MoviePass subscribers, was charged $9.95 on September 15 and has been refunded that amount,” he says. “We are aware that some of our subscribers have mistaken refunds appearing on their credit card statements for charges.”

MoviePass made a splash when it launched a $9.95 monthly membership for unlimited theater screenings, which quickly resulted in troubles for the company. Though it quickly added millions of users, the company started running out of cash just as fast and even lowered its prices to combat the turmoil.

CEO Mitch Lowe then announced it was dropping its unlimited plan but after a revolt from subscribers, brought it back just days later. Behind the scenes, the company completely ran out of funds, the app started crashing and the service became nearly impossible to use. MoviePass finally crashed and burned when Helios and Matheson’s stock tanked and desperate measures for a reverse stock split fizzled.

After briefly blaming fraud and schemes from theater owners for its troubles, a temporary shutdown was announced in July before it officially terminated on Sept. 14.

Though no longer operational, many Twitter users reported random charges from MoviePass in the past month since the shuttering and vented their frustrations online.

“A big middle finger to MoviePass, which despite having closed on 9/14, is still charging my card ($4.64 for no service). Canceling my card, but there’s a reason why this company failed,”

“I’ve literally had to put a block on them through my bank because they wouldn’t stop charging me,” one crafty

“MoviePass why are you charging my credit card? There is no service and your app says no charges until there is a change,”

Others are frustrated that since the app has been terminated, they can’t even reach customer service to dispute claims.

“Please explain why I was just charged for your service, when your service is currently down. I’m only contacting you via Twitter because your website has lost the feature to communicate with you,”

Some users even report that they were charged in the days before the announcement — and even the day of — that service was canceled.

“Shameful MoviePass that on the very day you are closing you are still charging people for their (no longer available) plans,”

“MoviePass charged me on the 12th and shut down on the 14th. I need that refund or it’s war. #stopplayingwithme,”
Old 01-29-20, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...0XRn3Xhwd_j-no

Moviepass update

The parent company Helios and Matheson filed for bankruptcy. So yeah they are still dead and will never come back.

In its bankruptcy filing, Helios and Matheson listed the estimated value of assets at between $1 million-$10 million and $60.9 million in total creditor claims.

Old 01-29-20, 01:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

So there's still a chance?????

Old 01-29-20, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I was with it until the end - laziness/forgetfulness kept me from canceling a couple of months prior - and was pleasantly shocked when I got a prorated refund on my final billing cycle, which was charged a few days before they announced the end of the service. I believe it was eight bucks and change.

BTW I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was going to turn my card into an ornament and last month I did:

Old 01-29-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

RIP Moviepass

Updated 5 hours agoMoviepass filed for bankruptcy liquidation, meaning the movie-ticket subscription service won’t be revived. The service, which shut down last year, said it may owe as much as $1.2 million to 12,000 subscribers, or almost $100 a pop. Its unique proposition had aroused skepticism and industry opposition alike: unlimited-movie access to subscribers for $10 a month. The business, which began in 2011, also proved unprofitable.
Old 01-29-20, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Huh? How do they owe subscribers anything, let alone $100 a pop?
Old 01-30-20, 09:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RIP MoviePass. Thanks for the thousands of dollars worth of movie tickets over the years.
Old 01-30-20, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Huh? How do they owe subscribers anything, let alone $100 a pop?
I assume this is from the bait and switch class action lawsuits that have been bubbling up, mainly from people who say (rightly so) that they were advertised unlimited movies and then were hit with all kinds of restrictions that didn't allow them to even see a movie a month. That's the only reason I can see for why they're just liquifying instead of restructuring.
Old 02-16-20, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some MP/H&M bankruptcy fallout:.

Moviefone, Worth 1% of Its Former Value, Is Being Run by One Employee After Parent Company’s Bankruptcy

By TODD SPANGLER Is there a future for Moviefone? The relic of the high-flying dot-com days is in limbo, essentially running on life support after the movie listing and news site’s parent company, Helios and Matheson Analytics, filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy last month.

Helios and Matheson went belly-up after accruing unsustainable losses from MoviePass, the now-defunct theater subscription service. Meanwhile, tucked away in the bankruptcy filing was the disclosure that the net book value of Moviefone’s intellectual property is estimated to be $4,379,504. That’s just 1.1% of AOL’s $388 million stock deal for Moviefone in 1999, right before the internet bubble burst.

While Moviefone is now worth just a pittance of its erstwhile valuation, it’s actually one of Helios and Matheson’s most valuable assets: The company reported total assets of under $10 million in the Chapter 7 filing.

Nearly all of Moviefone employees were laid off at the end of January after Helios and Matheson’s Chapter 7 filing. However, the site still has one staffer left to keep the lights on (who, for the record, is not “Seinfeld’s” Cosmo Kramer): Moviefone general manager Matt Atchity tells Variety he’s been retained by the trustee overseeing Helios and Matheson’s liquidation to keep Moviefone running pending a sale of the property.

Atchity, who also is a co-host of the “Breakfast All Day” film podcast, joined Moviefone in September 2018 after a stint as head of programming for The Young Turks and prior to that serving as editor-in-chief of Rotten Tomatoes.

The site’s current movie listings are automated, with showtimes linking directly to AMC Theatres, Regal, Cinemark and other movie theaters. Previously, Moviefone had an online-ticketing partnership with NBCUniversal’s Fandango.

Helios and Matheson acquired Moviefone in April 2018 from Verizon (which picked up the movie site via its AOL deal) for $1 million in cash, plus HMNY stock that is now worthless. After the acquisition, the company discontinued the Moviefone mobile apps — and directed users to download the MoviePass app instead. The strategy, according to MoviePass’ then-CEO Mitch Lowe, was to try to use Moviefone to boost the cinema-subscription service’s subscriber base and generate more sponsorship and marketing income.

Moviefone was founded in 1989 as a dial-up service for checking movie times, and at one point operated a nationwide toll-free number (800-777-FILM) and numbers in 67 local area codes across the U.S. In 2014, AOL shut off the phone service and tried to reposition Moviefone as a broader entertainment destination stocked with more news and other content. (Today, the 800 number, operated by XIP Services, welcomes callers 18 and older to “America’s hottest talk line.”)

The original Mr. Moviefone — co-founder Russ Leatherman — parted ways with the service in 2013. His trademark greeting (“Hello, and welcome to Moviefone!”) was memorably spoofed in an episode of “Seinfeld,” in which Kramer’s new phone number keeps getting misdialed by people trying to get movie info, whereupon he decides to impersonate Mr. Moviefone.
https://variety.com/2020/digital/new...ue-1203505129/

The following users liked this post:
The Valeyard (02-22-21)
Old 02-20-20, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What?! It's only worth 1% of, how much did AOL pay for Moviefone $388 million dollars?!

...oh of AOL stock
Old 02-22-20, 02:02 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For every Apple, Google and Microsoft, there has to be huge failures to balance things out
Old 02-19-21, 10:15 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Mark Wahlberg’s Unrealistic Ideas, the company behind HBO’s Emmy-nominated McMillions, is taking another deep dive into the absurdities of greed with the story behind the rise and fall of MoviePass. Unrealistic Ideas has teamed with Assemble Media and Insider (formerly Business Insider) to develop a premium limited docuseries chronicling the demise of the famed movie-ticket subscription service.

The docuseries is based on Insider reporter Jason Guerrasio’s award-winning coverage of the rise and fall of the company. Guerrasio’s reports chronicled MoviePass’ explosive growth in 2017 after offering unlimited theatrical movies for just $9.95 a month, through its downfall.
https://deadline.com/2021/02/moviepa...234696207/amp/

Old 02-19-21, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Bound to happen. I'll watch.
Old 02-19-21, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

yes! That's what I wanted, even though I never subscribed to MoviePass haha

I wanted to see another Fyre Festival-type documentary
Old 02-19-21, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

If they had only held out a little longer, they might have started making money when the pandemic shut the theaters down. With no money going out, and revenue coming in from people that didn't cancel their account, they could be making bank right now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
jpcamb (02-19-21), tanman (02-19-21)
Old 02-19-21, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

I loved the service when it was $30 a month. It worked great and had great customer service. I'm not sure that they made any money, but I would bet that they weren't bleeding it like they did after they went to $9.99.

Customer Service went to shit after that too.

I mean I still took advantage of it and saw lots of movies, but I knew that their days were numbered after the price cut. I stayed monthly the whole time and never went in for a year, because I never expected it to last that long.
Old 02-19-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, they may not have been making money hand over fist but their older model certainly didn't bleed money like the 9.99 did. They even had regional pricing, to account for, you know, regional differences in movie prices.

I still remember thinking they must have some deal with the theaters when they dropped the price, and then to find out that they not only didn't have deals but they were paying full price for each ticket just blew my mind.

The movie has to have scenes where people check in and get a movie ticket just for the free parking, then throw the ticket away. That's like peak movie pass.
Old 02-19-21, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

You also had people checking in and buying a ticket every day just for the theater rewards points.
Old 03-16-21, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Any idea what this countdown is all about?

https://www.moviepass.ventures/

Rebranding during a pandemic? Classic MoviePass.
Old 03-16-21, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Any idea what this countdown is all about?

https://www.moviepass.ventures/

Rebranding during a pandemic? Classic MoviePass.
why were you on that site??

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.