Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-23, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Okay I did a second look on the app.

Morning shows are 18 credits
Afternoon shows are 40 credits
Night shows are 60 credits

I’ll have to double check weekdays again. Based on that credits scale alone, you won’t get much value living in my area only going to the movies on weekends at 68 credits a month.
Old 06-17-23, 04:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Okay I did a second look on the app.

Morning shows are 18 credits
Afternoon shows are 40 credits
Night shows are 60 credits

I’ll have to double check weekdays again. Based on that credits scale alone, you won’t get much value living in my area only going to the movies on weekends at 68 credits a month.
Ouch, yeah, that's not worth it. The range in my area is 10-25. Most things are 10 up until about 6pm, so it works out well for me.
Old 06-17-23, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

I have 136 credits with my "Free Month" for $20. Once these run out, I'm out. Not worth it. At that rate if I wanted a 2nd subscription, I might just pay $4.95 more and get Regal Unlimited and have access to Unlimited movies.
Old 06-17-23, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Just used it to get my ticket for No Hard Feelings early preview tonight. Had to drive to the mall theater.

super easy. But ouch 60 credits Have 76 left now. Maybe I’ll use them up on a few week day matinees.
Old 06-20-23, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Got my card today and activated it. I have 68 credits. AMC is 7 credits for every showing even evenings.

I also noticed the times coincided with the IMAX shows. None of their regular digitals times share the same showtimes. If the credits/times are the same tomorrow I'll see if it gives me access to The Flash in IMAX for 7 credits.
The following users liked this post:
The Cow (06-20-23)
Old 06-21-23, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk God

I saw Elemental on Monday for a matinee. It cost 24 credits.

Looks like weekday credits are:

Morning: 18 credits
Matinee: 24 credits
Evening: 30 credits

I have 52 credits left. I'll try to get a few more matinees in before I cancel at the end of this trial. This is just not worth keeping even to see non-premium screen movies. Way too expensive for this market. If you live in a smaller market, it might be more worth it.
Old 06-21-23, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As expected the IMAX experiment didn't work.
They need to fix the app or the card is useless for me because the app only lists the IMAX times none of the regular shows. I will give them feedback and see if they can fix it.
Old 07-10-23, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, I cancelled my 1 month trial today. It would have renewed on Friday. I still had like 32 credits left out of the 136 they gave me. I managed to use it for 3 movies. Elemental, No Hard Feelings and Sound of Freedom.

I never really needed a 2nd theater subscription. But, I wanted to give it a try and see how it's changed since the original incarnation blew up. It's easy to use, but for my market (Southern California), it's way too expensive, especially if you only have time to go on weekends. I already posted above how expensive the credits are for weekend shows. A-List is still a great value.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-10-23 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-11-23, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I tried again to use it on a regular movie but it wouldn't let me check in. I wouldn't click "check in" and screen wouldn't change. I even tried to get ticket at boxoffice just in case it still went through but app was being buggy. No dice. Not worth the hassle of not-knowing if the app would work or not at the theater. Plus it didn't work at my local theater. Cancelled. Again. Lol. I had 68 credits unused.
Old 07-11-23, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Sorry that you guys have had trouble or crummy rates in your area. Still working great for me.
Old 07-11-23, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
Sorry that you guys have had trouble or crummy rates in your area. Still working great for me.
Same here.
Old 07-11-23, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One of their solutions to my issue with the app only loading IMAX times was to send me a link to their FAQ like it was something I was doing wrong when it was THEIR app. That ticked me off. I know how to use your service because I used the shit out of it before.
ntnon (11-27-23)
Old 07-11-23, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wanma
Same for me, it's my best option and has been working well outside of my initial problem.
Old 11-17-23, 08:22 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

UPDATE 1:
You asked, we delivered! No more waiting in line or missing out on your favorite seat. With our new online ticketing feature, you can book your same-day tickets from anywhere, anytime.
*Standard online service fees apply
Try it now!

UPDATE 2:
The wait is over - start saving 30% or more on movie tickets today with the MoviePass Virtual Card. No more waiting for your MoviePass card to arrive in the mail.
Prefer to keep it old school with a physical card? You can always request one in the in-app chat or by e-mailing [email protected].

UPDATE 3:
Bigger screens, better sound, more comfortable seats - Immerse yourself even deeper, with premium format movies, like IMAX, Dolby, RealD 3D, 70MM, BigD, 3DX, and more.

UPDATE 4:
The perfect gift for every movie lover - Put MoviePass in their stockings, under the tree, or in their inbox to give them movie magic for 3, 6, or 12 months.
Old 11-17-23, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Additional updates, just for fun . . .

Ted Farnsworth was arrested in November of 2022 for his role with MoviePass. A few months later, he was part of a business venture which purchased the National Inquirer in February of 2023. He was arrested in August for his shady dealings through MoviePass. In September, some, not all, of the charges were dismissed. On his Linked In Page, Ted describes himself as a " financier, entrepreneur and consummate disrupter."

Kalid Itum was arrested in February. It is alleged he used MoviePass funds to reimburse himself for throwing a party at Coachella. Word is it was a "raging kegger" which upped his social media profile. No update found.

In September of 2022, the same month the former MoviePass execs were hit with charges, Mitch Lowe went on the circuit, giving interviews to several media outlets and promoting his new book. Lowe told Variety, "
It truly was embarrassing and hurtful,” says Lowe. “I tried as hard as I could, but I should have tried harder. I should have been more thoughtful, and I should have been more strategic. But I’ve got to live with that.” He then asserted that level of strategery that he could have implemented: "Given enough time and given enough money and some good luck here and there, we could have been a success . . . " Good business strategy, Mitch. No updates after September 2022 were found.

NOTE: MoviePass is NO LONGER under the leadership of this group of con artists*. It is under old/new management when the original founder bought it back from bankruptcy.

*We have no evidence and are not implying Mrs. Wormer had any role or knowledge about the MoviePass scams run by Lowe, Farnsworth, and Itum. We have been told, off the record, that Mrs. Wormer divorced Dean Wormer, moved to Chicago, and was working in an off-off-off- Broadway stage adaptation of Showgirls. She may have had an Only Fans page as well.

Old 11-20-23, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

I just want to add that in addition to adding the ability to pre-order tickets and access to premium formats, Movie Pass also jacked up the cost per movie. At least in my neck of the woods. Movies that I used to be able to see for 9 or 15 credits are now 15 and 20, respectively. My $10 used to get me 2 or 3 tickets a month, but now it's closer to 1.5 tickets per month. And that's if I only go on Mon, Tues or Wed. If I go on a weekend, or see a high demand movie, the $10 barely gets me 1 ticket a month.

Overall I still get my money's worth, but not by much. I have no reason to not keep the service, but it's taken a little bit of the joy out of it.
Old 11-24-23, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Movie Pass has a 30% off BF sale for 1 month. Again, the value of this service heavily depends on where you live. In Los Angeles and NYC, it's not worth it. You're better off with AMC or Regal Unlimited.

Old 11-24-23, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I’ve gotten at least 6 emails from them last couple of days with that offer.
🤦‍♂️
Old 11-26-23, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

^Same. 30% off of ONE MONTH is not a Black Friday sale. It is a trial, and not a good trial at that.
ntnon (11-27-23)