Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Old 07-04-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 346 Likes on 258 Posts
Re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: DEAD DEAL WALKING?]

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Yea, sure, Mitch. I mean, it isn't like you can just send out an update to the app once it's complete...

I'm gonna say this is the end. Decent ride.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Like every company shuts down when they need to update their app.
Old 07-04-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,330 Likes on 906 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Dear MoviePass Suckers Subscribers,

It has come to our attention that some of you are still attempting to get some use out of our service. MoviePass was the number one entertainment option for millions of customers until you people thought you could actually see movies with it. That was never the intent. MoviePass is a subscription service that you are supposed to pay for, forget about, and not use. That’s how subscriptions work people! Instead, you people broke it and ruined a good thing for the rest of us.

In response, and in a effort to make MoviePass profitable for its board members (legal fees ain’t cheap folks, especially in criminal cases!) we are suspending the current MoviePass app completely. Don’t worry, we will replace it with a new and equally useless app so that we can resume charging your credit card at some random point in the future. You do not need to take any action and please, for God’s sake PLEASE do NOT try contacting us to ask for any refunds or credits.

We do apologize for the inconvenience of reminding you that you forgot to cancel back when you could. We are working hard to make sure this interruption of charges to your credit card will be as short as possible. Once the new useless app is functional, you are welcome to resume enjoying the ability to not use our service. Rest assured, with the enhancements to the new app we will likely be raising prices and reinstating customers who left us anytime in the last two years.

Got to go — the power company cut the lights and the Feds are at the door,

Mitch Lowedown
Last Surviving Executive Of Movie Pass, signing off.
Old 07-04-19, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Geez, now I really feel like an idiot for giving them another try. They made money off me since I paid for 4 months and only saw like 4 movies. I'm just sticking with Cinemark movie club. The whole service runs smooth as silk and they seem invested on making long term improvements to it. I love that I can just reserve my ticket online, pick my seat, and it's all saved right in the app. I skip the lines and they just scan my phone to print out the ticket.
Old 07-04-19, 06:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The sad thing is, once this will be officially over, Mitch Lowe might be a laughing stock (he already is) and will have lost a lot of money, but thereís no true schadenfreude because heíll just go back to his mansion and remain set for life.
Old 07-05-19, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Their laughing stock is under a penny per share and was delisted.
Old 07-05-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I'm only surprised they didn't pull this before the big summer blockbusters were out.
Old 07-05-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm still aboard this sinking ship, but this is likely the end. Funny how a year or so ago I'd get ticked at the folks on this board saying they checked into a movie just because they could, but only a few months ago I started doing the same if I had, say, 1 movie left towards the last couple of days of my billing cycle. I'd get a ticket to whatever shitty movie was offered that day just to get the theater reward points.

This whole fiasco will make for a good business book someday. It's only fitting that: 1) that email originally went to my junk folder and 2) the very last flick I saw with MoviePass was Shaft.
Old 07-06-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by skywalker8
The sad thing is, once this will be officially over, Mitch Lowe might be a laughing stock (he already is) and will have lost a lot of money, but thereís no true schadenfreude because heíll just go back to his mansion and remain set for life.
Yup!

Last year Mitch's brother Mark Lowe closed down his long-running video store that I live about 10-15 minutes away from. They founded the store back in 1984.

I absolutely love Physical Media but it was definitely a small feat still being able to run a Video Store in 2018.
Old 07-12-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,068 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
I'm still aboard this sinking ship, but this is likely the end. Funny how a year or so ago I'd get ticked at the folks on this board saying they checked into a movie just because they could, but only a few months ago I started doing the same if I had, say, 1 movie left towards the last couple of days of my billing cycle. I'd get a ticket to whatever shitty movie was offered that day just to get the theater reward points.

This whole fiasco will make for a good business book someday. It's only fitting that: 1) that email originally went to my junk folder and 2) the very last flick I saw with MoviePass was Shaft.
Well played
Old 07-13-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Dear MoviePass Suckers Subscribers,

It has come to our attention that some of you are still attempting to get some use out of our service. MoviePass was the number one entertainment option for millions of customers until you people thought you could actually see movies with it. That was never the intent. MoviePass is a subscription service that you are supposed to pay for, forget about, and not use. Thatís how subscriptions work people! Instead, you people broke it and ruined a good thing for the rest of us.

In response, and in a effort to make MoviePass profitable for its board members (legal fees ainít cheap folks, especially in criminal cases!) we are suspending the current MoviePass app completely. Donít worry, we will replace it with a new and equally useless app so that we can resume charging your credit card at some random point in the future. You do not need to take any action and please, for Godís sake PLEASE do NOT try contacting us to ask for any refunds or credits.

We do apologize for the inconvenience of reminding you that you forgot to cancel back when you could. We are working hard to make sure this interruption of charges to your credit card will be as short as possible. Once the new useless app is functional, you are welcome to resume enjoying the ability to not use our service. Rest assured, with the enhancements to the new app we will likely be raising prices and reinstating customers who left us anytime in the last two years.

Got to go ó the power company cut the lights and the Feds are at the door,

Mitch Lowedown
Last Surviving Executive Of Movie Pass, signing off.
Old 08-01-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Back from the dead? This afternoon the MP app had an update available. Under the update's "what's new" section is "resumption of Moviepass subscription services". I checked my email and received this on 7/25, only it went straight to my junk mail folder:

Dear Loyal MoviePass™ Subscribers,

Thank you for your patience while we continue to make technology platform enhancements to the MoviePass™ service. We are writing to update you on our progress and our plans for continuing the service.

We have been working hard to bring the MoviePass™ service back to you as soon as possible with an improved technology platform, one that also allows for new features and ongoing enhancements to be made in the future.

Last year we were consumed by our unexpected explosive growth, but have learned that we must focus more on the day-to-day needs of our loyal subscribers like you.

Yesterday we reactivated the MoviePass™ service for a randomly selected subset of subscribers to conduct initial testing, quality control and a scalability analysis. You can check to see if you are in the initial group by going to the MoviePass app on your phone. If you are part of the group, you will be able to download the update for the app and see movies as usual. If you still see the service interruption message, you are not part of the randomly selected initial group. Please continue to be patient while we roll out the updates to all subscribers in the coming weeks.

We are excited to continue to improve the MoviePass™ service, using the valuable insights we gained as the leader which transformed the movie industry to make moviegoing affordable for everyone.

As a reminder, a subscriber will not be charged while the subscriber’s service is interrupted.

If you are a monthly subscriber, you will be credited for the days of your service interruption. If you are an annual subscriber, once the service continues, we will automatically add the number of affected days to your one-year term.

In either case, you will not need to request a credit or contact MoviePass™ customer service to get credit for the number of days of your service interruption.

We thank you for your loyalty to MoviePass™ and hope to provide all our subscribers with an enjoyable movie-going experience again very soon.

Sincerely,
Mitch Lowe
I updated the app and there's no service interruption message when I open it, but it says I have 0 movies available for the month. (And it still has my regular date for the ending of my billing cycle this month; no days were credited.)

There are a lot of big titles available - Hobbes & Shaw, Toy Story 4, Spider-Man, Lion King, actually pretty much most everything currently out except strangely Once Upon a Time in Hollywood - however I don't know if my account is back or not. For some reason, my favorite theater (a Bow Tie, small chain) doesn't have any showings listed, but I may swing by one of the other theaters today or tomorrow and try to buy a ticket.

EDIT: I force closed the app and then reopened it. Now it says I have 3 movies, but the billing cycle still ends on the same day.

Last edited by DJLinus; 08-01-19 at 01:31 PM.
Old 08-01-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,899 Likes on 2,785 Posts

I don't intend this to be a thread crap, but with Regal's new service launching this week and then AMC already having a very successful run. I don't know why anyone would want to continue to put up or support the shenanigans of this company.

You have 2 great major chains who created services that are sustainable and have good price points if you're an avid movie-goer.

Seems like Mitch Lowe just won't accept that MoviePass is a failure. At least Sinemia had the decency to realize it just wasn't working for them and they shut down.
Old 08-08-19, 12:33 PM

Received 4,809 Likes on 3,254 Posts

MoviePass, the movie ticket subscription service which was all the rage in 2018, experienced such an explosive rise and tumultuous fall that I would not be surprised if someone ended up making a movie about it one day. And thanks to a recent in-depth report on the company’s questionable business practices, here’s a scene that could be used during the “beginning of the end” portion of the eventual film: CEO Mitch Lowe ordering his employees to change the passwords of heavy MoviePass users so they would not be able to log on and use the service. Read more about that and some of the other aspects of the MoviePass scandal below.

Were you a frequent MoviePass user who suddenly found yourself unable to log in to the service? Mitch Lowe knew you were costing the company tons of money, but instead of figuring out some other way to offset costs (or, you know, doing some actual math before dropping the price to an unsustainable $9.99 per month in the first place), he targeted some heavy users and changed their passwords without their knowledge.

Business Insider spent four months working on an article that chronicled MoviePass’s entire trajectory, and I thought that story about changing the passwords of a small group of heavy users was bad enough…but then I saw that after the company ran out of money in July 2018 and had to borrow $5 million in cash to keep it afloat, this happened:

“…the temporary loss of cash led Lowe to make “Mission: Impossible — Fallout,” among the most anticipated releases of the year, unavailable on MoviePass. He also ordered that half of subscribers be frozen out the weekend of its release, former employees said. Complaints once again appeared online, leading MoviePass to send out a tweet saying it was “working on a fix towards this technical issue.”

In the wake of the Mission: Impossible fiasco, things somehow got even worse.

Per Lowe’s orders, big blockbusters would no longer be available on the app. MoviePass also enforced what it called a “trip wire,” an automatic shutdown mechanism for all users that would be activated if MoviePass went past a certain amount balance. If money ever ran out, subscribers would see the following message on the app: “There are no more screenings at this theater today.”

The trip wire started at a few million dollars, but eventually it wound down to a few hundred thousand.

“It was a guessing game,” said a former staffer. “There were some days we actually got all the way through without the trip wire going off.”

The full Business Insider article is worth a read, as it recounts stories like the time MoviePass worked with Jerry Media, a company involved with the disastrous Fyre Festival, and spent more than $1 million to host a Big Boi concert at Coachella while fielding tons of calls from subscribers who didn’t even have their cards yet.

MoviePass is still technically clinging to life (even though it has lost a colossal percentage of its subscriber base), but a compliance counsel at the U.S. Department of Justice told Business Insider that MoviePass’s behavior is “certainly unethical and could be illegal,” so it seems as if the company’s days are numbered.
https://www.slashfilm.com/moviepass-...5zRs5SedecTcGk
Old 08-08-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,066 Likes on 845 Posts

Old 08-08-19, 01:07 PM
Banned

Received 1,020 Likes on 674 Posts

If all this is true, then Lowe and everyone involved should go to jail but since they are white and rich, they'll probably be punished by giving people vouchers to see the shitty movie they produced.
Old 08-08-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,071 Likes on 768 Posts

Based on the comments in this thread alone over the years, I would be surprised if anyone didn't already assume they were manually manipulating available films to reduce their loss.
Old 08-08-19, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Most of that was heavily speculated, except for the changing passwords thing.

Were they getting money in some other way to be able to reenable the accounts every day? I'm kind of confused, unless somehow the subscriber money would come in in intervals, but even then that wouldn't be enough for them to sustain operations the way it's described.
Old 08-08-19, 03:05 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,250 Likes on 887 Posts

Old 08-08-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,799 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't intend this to be a thread crap, but with Regal's new service launching this week and then AMC already having a very successful run. I don't know why anyone would want to continue to put up or support the shenanigans of this company.

You have 2 great major chains who created services that are sustainable and have good price points if you're an avid movie-goer.

Seems like Mitch Lowe just won't accept that MoviePass is a failure. At least Sinemia had the decency to realize it just wasn't working for them and they shut down.
Our local theater is a Marcus theater and we like it MUCH better than the closest AMCs and Regals. I would still use something like MoviePass since they don't have their own system. But I dropped the service without ever using it because of all the restrictions. Only paid for like a month of it. I'd love for Marcus to get on board though!
Old 08-08-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Old 08-08-19, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 318 Posts

Wow, what a shit show.
Old 08-08-19, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,899 Likes on 2,785 Posts

If any of that is proven to be true, that is criminal. Someone should shut down this shady ass business.
Old 08-08-19, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dear Loyal MoviePass™ Subscribers,

To whom it may concern, or To all you ignorant bloody wankers still out there,

Thank you for your patience while we continue to make technology platform enhancements to the MoviePass™ service. We are writing to update you on our progress and our plans for continuing the service.

We are so glad that you have left your credit card number on file with us while we have been partying on a beach in a undisclosed non-extradition country. We are writing to let you know we need more money to pay off local law enforcement officials. More hookers and blow would be nice too.

We have been working hard to bring the MoviePass™ service back to you as soon as possible with an improved technology platform, one that also allows for new features and ongoing enhancements to be made in the future.

We have been hard at work for the last ... oh, six hours? Man ... six hours, I am beat. That’s like ... carry the one to the tens column ... two months of work! Anyway, we have been working on ways to get your money flowing back to our pockets. Well, our lawyers’ pockets.

Last year we were consumed by our unexpected explosive growth, but have learned that we must focus more on the day-to-day needs of our loyal subscribers like you.

You greedy bastards almost broke us, which isn’t fair when companies like Uber and Byrd succeed at fleecing investors. Anyway, we are trying to scheme ... er ... focus ... more on your wallet since the Feds cut us off from investors. Unless you still want stock, then you can buy it direct from us. Ted has actually been using share certificates as roofing for his beachside hut. We have plenty to spare.

Yesterday we reactivated the MoviePass™ service for a randomly selected subset of subscribers to conduct initial testing, quality control and a scalability analysis. You can check to see if you are in the initial group by going to the MoviePass app on your phone. If you are part of the group, you will be able to download the update for the app and see movies as usual. If you still see the service interruption message, you are not part of the randomly selected initial group. Please continue to be patient while we roll out the updates to all subscribers in the coming weeks.

Now for the good news! We are telling you that the Movie pASS app is once again fully functional for self-selecting suckers who are willing to go in and try it. Of course, that full functionality means more of the great Movie pASS features you love such as: continuing to charge your credit card, listings for blockbuster movies that you can’t attend, listings for premium ticket theaters (like IMAX and 3D showings) that you still can’t use your Movie pASS card for, and random member only e-mails from my dog. Once you log in and reactivate permission for us to bill your credit card, you will be able to resume seeing movies as normal (meaning not at all with your Movie pASS card). If you try to access the app and find that it is not working, then your valid credit card is no longer on file with us, so piss off. Unless you want to give us an updated credit card number. Come on, Uncle Mitch is having the DTs and needs help.

We are excited to continue to improve the MoviePass™ service, using the valuable insights we gained as the leader which transformed the movie industry to make moviegoing affordable for everyone.

We are excited that we still have a few members who presumably died before they could cancel the service! Using the lessons we have learned from Nigerian scammers, we are proud to have revolutionized the movie business and look forward to new and interesting scams to perpetrate.

As a reminder, a subscriber will not be charged while the subscriber’s service is interrupted.

Don’t forget, we will only bill you for as long and as much money as we can. No need to cancel. Your membership will self-terminate when we can no longer withdraw funds from your bank.

If you are a monthly subscriber, you will be credited for the days of your service interruption. If you are an annual subscriber, once the service continues, we will automatically add the number of affected days to your one-year term.

If you are still a subscriber ... if you are still a subscriber ... oh come on Mitch, I can’t even keep a straight face writing this ...

In either case, you will not need to request a credit or contact MoviePass™ customer service to get credit for the number of days of your service interruption.

In either case, DO NOT CONTACT US. We will not refund anything or issue you any credit anyway. Go watch Gotti!

We thank you for your loyalty to MoviePass™ and hope to provide all our subscribers with an enjoyable movie-going experience again very soon.

We thank you for your naÔvetť and loyalty to Movie pASS and hope that the underage native girls come back soon with our coconut drinks and Viagra.

Sincerely,
Mitch Lowe

Sincerely,
Mitch Lowedown
Old 08-08-19, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can’t believe it took this long for employees to start talking.

Unfortunately the Business Insider article is behind a paywall.
Old 08-09-19, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,961 Likes on 2,024 Posts

I think MoviePass was created by the Underpants Gnomes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.