Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Old 08-09-22, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts
Re: The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

So which one would you get? They both come with different gravy, so presumably price would be the only factor (or perhaps region compatibility?).

I rarely revisit supplements, ever, but I just get tired of different regions having different stuff that contributes more or less equally to the appreciation of lesser-known films like this one (despite its exalted status in HK cinema circles, itís probably unknown to the majority of people who shop at Vinegar Syndrome, for example). This is a great HK movie, but it doesnít need two limited editions that only partially overlap, except maybe to provide income to ubiquitous supplement producers on both sides of the pond.
Old 08-09-22, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

I'll wait for the 88 to get released for the inevitable comparison. I'll get whichever one has the better presentation. If they're the same, I'll probably go 88 just because I've purchased every other HK film they've released (except 1 or 2).

As for competing limited editions, I'm not going to complain about that given the fact that we're finally seeing these movies presented properly on disc for, in many cases, the first time ever.

And I certainly don't begrudge the boutique labels making a little coin off me. I'm fairly certain no one in that business is getting rich. One of the guys from Eureka even posted on the other forum that they might not have survived the last couple of years without the HK stuff. I'm happy to help keep the train rolling.
Old 08-09-22, 07:39 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

It looks like Tiger Cage is selling really well. Per their newsletter this morning: OUT NOW - Only 570 / 4000 left in our warehouse!

Plus, it seems like the limited edition of The Seventh Curse is pretty scarce now too.

Definitely looks like it is good to be in the HK business right now!
Old 08-09-22, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I couldn't believe how fast Seventh Curse sold out. Maybe because it has some horror appeal and crosses over with that audience?

Either way, I was glad to get shipping confirmation this morning from Terracotta for my order which included both Tiger Cage and Seventh Curse (among a few others).
Old 08-09-22, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Maybe because it has some horror appeal and crosses over with that audience?
That. But I think the artwork really sold people. Plus Ni Kuang's death last month.
Old 08-09-22, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Definitely looks like it is good to be in the HK business right now!
Especially the premium-priced "fancy packaging" side of it! As much as I deride it sometimes, these sets are virtually all replacing old HK discs in my collection, and too often I can't resist these deluxe versions even though I should know better and just get the standard editions when they come out.
Old 08-12-22, 09:51 AM

Old 08-12-22, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forced to choose again!

Hopefully they're able to re-use at least some of the archival stuff and outtakes from Eureka's edition. That would help.

Philip Chan is someone who should be interviewed about a lot of Hong Kong movies. He's fluent in English (whether he uses it in the PS3 interview or not) and has a unique history: pop singer turned high-profile police inspector turned screenwriter, actor, director and ultimately industry executive at multiple levels. Don't like his politics – he's another mainland sellout (against Hong Kong on certain aspects) – but he's undoubtedly got lots of stories. He's also fairly conversant with regular folks on Facebook.
Old 08-14-22, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just watched my copy of Monkey Kung Fu. I know I've complained about the over literal subtitles on some of these releases before, but this one in particular jumped out at me.

Not only were there a handful of passages that flat out didn't make much sense to my ear, but the "drunken monkey" style of Kung Fu is constantly referred to as "drunken ape". I don't speak a word of Cantonese, so for all I know that is exactly what they're saying. But I have never heard that style referred to as anything other than drunken monkey. The title of the movie is Monkey Kung Fu, for goodness sakes. Now the caveat is that I've never seen this specific movie before. Maybe some other version has called it drunken ape, but somehow I doubt it.

Did it affect my enjoyment of the movie? Probably not. At least not enough to ruin it for me. I just needed to vent. I appreciate all the work that goes into these releases, but sometimes the people working on them overthink things a bit too much for my tastes.

Old 08-15-22, 03:30 PM

Kung Fu Bob hint below. It looks like one of the teased re-releases might be Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin?

Here's a WIP photo teaser (though it's been finished at this point) for an upcoming 88 Films release.
It's a kung fu "McGuffin", and a lot of dangerous people (some also disarmingly beautiful) are after it at any cost. Stay tuned for details... #secretkungfumanual #88films #yourstylecanneverbeatmine #whatcoulditbe?

Also, this just leaked via MVD.

Old 08-15-22, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a great movie my any means, but decent enough. I'd say it's probably not worth upgrading my HK Blu-ray, but who am I kidding. Of course I'll buy it.

And I'm totally up for an upgraded Snake and Crane. Hopefully they re-release all four of the early Jackie titles they did before they really upped their HK game. I never bought any of them due to underwhelming reviews.
Old 08-15-22, 04:24 PM

Frank Djeng posted on Instagram that The Iceman Cometh will be out by the end of the year too.
Old 08-15-22, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I still have not watched Gorgeous so I will be interested in that. I have mixed feelings about Iceman Cometh. Itís nice that itís getting an HD release but I wasnít too crazy about it even with Maggie.
Old 08-15-22, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only seen Iceman Cometh once who knows how many years ago. I remember liking it, but I also don't remember a single thing about it.

Gorgeous has one spectacular fight sequence, but is otherwise a fairly forgettable romantic dramedy. Jackie was obviously ready for something different at this point and Gorgeous (as well as his move to Hollywood) kind of marks the end of his golden period.

It's crazy to think that we're *this close* to having a mostly complete, high quality golden era Jackie Chan filmography on Blu-ray. For as many years as his catalog was abused, to have come this far in just the last few years is a minor miracle.

By my count the only important golden era titles that still need a release are Island of Fire, Twin Dragons, Thunderbolt, First Strike and Who Am I. I'd take the HK cut of Rumble in the Bronx as well, but it's really not that different from the US version.
Old 08-15-22, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I still have the old Sony DVD of Gorgeous with Jackie’s commentary. Yeah it’s a fairly forgettable movie. Shu Qi is very nice to look at after she gets all glammed up. But Jackie is old enough to be her Dad.
Old 08-15-22, 05:56 PM

The Sony DVD cuts 20 mins out.

I’ll be selling off my Hong Kong disc. It’s worth a rebuy to me. Really dig the artwork. The fight with Brad Allen is awesome and it’s a nice tribute that they are giving him a credit on the cover.
Old 08-15-22, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-15-22, 06:33 PM

I should probably finally crack open by Di Leo Collection sets from Raro.
Old 08-16-22, 06:53 AM

The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (08-16-22)
Old 08-16-22, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ Nice to see someone tracked down Pat Ha (at some point) for an interview about ON THE RUN. Just wish it was something that could've been included on the disc instead of in the booklet, which means subsequent buyers of the standard edition won't be able to read it. She's literally the primary reason the film is so good (Yuen Biao's no slouch, but still)

- - -

Originally Posted by DJariya
But Jackie is old enough to be her Dad.
This was already a trend in several of his movies by the time GORGEOUS came out, and he continued it for a long time afterward. I mean, the guy looked young-ish enough in some of this 90's movies (when he was in his 40's) to pass for being in, say, his 30's, but I recall a number of reviewers of the era (pros and amateurs) pointing out the age discrepancies between him and his leading ladies. I actually enjoyed GORGEOUS as a romantic comedy, and was already a fan of its director when it came out as he'd written a number of already-classic 90's pictures (and directed a couple as well). I think it works perfectly well on the 'HK romantic comedy' level overall (cute theme song, too) but it's hard not to cringe a bit at the real-life 22 year age difference between the leads (I wonder if that's his biggest age gap?), and the Brad Allan fight is spectacular but seriously out of place. It feels like it's only there because it's expected in a Jackie movie. Upgrading from the HK Blu-ray would purely depend on the supplements in this case, as well as a decent sale price down the road. I can't imagine they'd be including the US cut and Chan's commentary, but both are no great loss. I do agree that it's good they released it anyway. Who knows, maybe it'll flip a switch in some newer fans (who've been hoovering up the constant stream of action classics these companies have been reissuing) and send them off in search of more HK dramas. Nah, scratch that.

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I have mixed feelings about Iceman Cometh. It’s nice that it’s getting an HD release but I wasn’t too crazy about it even with Maggie.
Originally Posted by rocket1312
I've only seen Iceman Cometh once who knows how many years ago. I remember liking it, but I also don't remember a single thing about it.
I think this one's pretty solid. Yuen Biao was in another movie that year with similar themes called PEACOCK KING that people sometimes assume is a sequel/prequel based on the artwork. It the lesser of the two pictures by a wide margin, though. Both are available from Panorama in Hong Kong, but both are just re-issues of previous upscales with phoney 5.1 soundtracks, so it would be nice if 88 eventually gave both of them a proper polish, even if the PEACOCK KING isn't much of a keeper (it's not like people won't buy it if it's packaged up real fancy!).

Originally Posted by dex14
I should probably finally crack open by Di Leo Collection sets from Raro.
​​​​​Likewise! I think those have been in my stacks for about 40 years now . . .

Last edited by Brian T; 08-16-22 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-16-22, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only seen a couple of the Di Leo films from those Raro sets, so I can't speak to their overall quality, but Milano Calibro 9 is worth the price of admission on its own. I highly recommend diving in.

I'm intrigued by Blood and Diamonds, but I don't think it's considered top tier Di Leo. I'll probably try to watch some of the others before I jump on that one.
Old 08-19-22, 10:03 AM

Old 08-19-22, 10:09 AM

A bunch of titles leaked on Amazon UK. Iceman Cometh is a Deluxe Edition:
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-19-22, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m glad that 88 Films pick these up for US release here. It will be nice to upgrade from my Fox/Fortune Star DVD.
Old 08-19-22, 03:44 PM

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.