Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-22, 06:03 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: The Official 88 Films Blu-ray Thread

From the sound of things said by some who work on these releases... the Miramax titles are starting to break free.
Old 06-20-22, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Brian T (06-20-22)
Old 06-28-22, 12:54 PM

Old 06-28-22, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 611 Likes on 449 Posts

Pat Ha is phenomenal in this. Frankly this deserves the fancy SE treatment as much as RIGHTING WRONGS, even though I have to admit I'm getting tired of all the useless packaging accompanying these things. Justified fears of the handover literally saturate this film, as does the cutthroat opportunism and corruption that flourished as a result, making it one of the absolute best HK noirs. I've noticed it's been MIA on Hong Kong discs for a while, too. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the kind of title the watchful lapdogs of the benevolent CCP don't want the locals being influenced by anymore. Really wish Kung Fu Bob would tone down his colour palette, though.
PhantomStranger (06-30-22)
Old 07-01-22, 12:05 PM

IDK why it doesn't show an image for the video, but it works still.

Old 07-28-22, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is On The Run being picked up by VS here in North America or is this just a UK release?

Originally Posted by Brian T
Pat Ha is phenomenal in this. Frankly this deserves the fancy SE treatment as much as RIGHTING WRONGS, even though I have to admit I'm getting tired of all the useless packaging accompanying these things. Justified fears of the handover literally saturate this film, as does the cutthroat opportunism and corruption that flourished as a result, making it one of the absolute best HK noirs. I've noticed it's been MIA on Hong Kong discs for a while, too. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the kind of title the watchful lapdogs of the benevolent CCP don't want the locals being influenced by anymore. Really wish Kung Fu Bob would tone down his colour palette, though.
I just watched this and agree 100% Brian. I need to own physical copy of this film. I now need to watch more Pat Ha films as phenomenal doesn’t even begin to describe her performance here. Why did I wait so long to watch this?
Brian T (07-28-22)
Old 07-28-22, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Is On The Run being picked up by VS here in North America or is this just a UK release?
UK only, at least for now. I don't believe anything's been announced stateside. If it's a straight-up Vinegar Syndrome title, Monday would be our best bet in the short-term. It doesn't fit VS' descriptions for their September, October, or November slates (and they take December off). So unless it's a partner label title or from one of their other imprints (like VSA, which I wouldn't expect), or unless VS has more to their calendar than they're saying, it's August-or-nothing there for 2022. (Their August tease is "FORGOTTEN GIALLI VOL. 5 + 4K UHD debut of a 70s Drive-In Horror classic + 2 others!", and I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility that this could fall under "2 others!".)
LorenzoL (07-28-22)
Old 07-28-22, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I just watched this and agree 100% Brian. I need to own physical copy of this film. I now need to watch more Pat Ha films as phenomenal doesn’t even begin to describe her performance here. Why did I wait so long to watch this?
I think a lot of people say that when they first see it, and see Pat Ha in it, especially as she's not immediately familiar to western viewers who aren't deep divers of non-action HK movies, and that's in part thanks to a short-ish career in the 80's that saw her mostly cast in ensembles as wives, girlfriends, etc. She's a good actress given a chance to be great in this one film, and she was only like 22 or 23 at the time! She then went right back to routine roles afterward. I doubt you'll find a performance of hers that equals ON THE RUN, even though she's quite good in everything I've seen her in. A couple of months before this she had a pretty decent 'serious' role in WOMEN PRISON.

ON THE RUN is also kinda unique in director Alfred Cheung's career, as he specialized mostly in comedies (most notably the HER FATAL WAYS series), dramas and comedy-dramas, some with occasional spurts of action, but nothing nearly this dark. Basically, he made a lot of movies we'll never see released by the western boutiques, but thankfully they're turning up regularly now on decent (finally!) HK blu-rays.

Bummed to hear there's no US equivalent on the horizon. I'm sure it's on some company's radar, but at the rate they move on HK stuff over here, I won't hold my breath.

For now, I'll grab the UK disc. Just hope it has decent extras. It would be amazing if 88 Films was able to score an interview with Pat Ha. As far as I know, she's out of the business these days. She came out of retirement in the 2010's-ish era, mostly playing small supporting roles and mothers, then presumably retired again.
Old 07-30-22, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing is that I’m not unfamiliar with HK films but according to Letterboxd, the only film that I have watched with Pat Ha is Winners & Sinners and I do not remember her in it. I’ll search for her other films now.

It’s too bad about Alfred Cheung. I would have love for him to make another action film.
Old 08-05-22, 02:41 PM

It looks like they have artwork for Yes, Madam in the background.

Last edited by dex14; 08-05-22 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-06-22, 03:52 PM

Another hint…

Old 08-06-22, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m happy if they are the one bringing it…
Old 08-07-22, 12:49 PM

It seems like that is the case.

I've seen some additional comments that attempts were made for an ITLOD box set, but rights issues prevented that from happening. Either way, I hope they show some love to Cynthia Khan and we get the later films in some form.
Old 08-08-22, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So now I guess we wait to see if the content will be the same, of if we'll be treated to another drawn out RIGHTING WRONGS scenario, where we'll be forced to choose based on different supplement packages, or buy both. I'd like to think that because they're both UK companies, that won't be the case with these, but who knows.
Old 08-08-22, 08:36 AM

So now I guess we wait to see if the content will be the same, of if we'll be treated to another drawn out RIGHTING WRONGS scenario, where we'll be forced to choose based on different supplement packages, or buy both. I'd like to think that because they're both UK companies, that won't be the case with these, but who knows.
Though the specs haven't been announced on 88's Police Story III, I would imagine it is going to be similar to that, where they are not working together and are completely separate releases (but some of the usual suspects are working on them).

Last edited by dex14; 08-08-22 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-08-22, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People will tire of that, I suspect – the RIGHTING WRONGS and/or PSIII situations have or will attest to that. But then again, when have disc collectors ever had it particularly easy finding truly 'ultimate' editions of their favourite films without double- and triple-dipping, importing, etc.
Old 08-08-22, 01:45 PM

Righting Wrongs Features Reveal

Three different feature-length presentations of the film
Original Hong Kong cut [96 mins]
Alternate Singapore cut [100 mins]
English-friendly ABOVE THE LAW cut [92 mins].

PLUS a newly produced ULTIMATE CUT, a version of the film prepared exclusively for this release that combines footage from the Hong Kong and Singapore cuts to present a hypothetical “complete” version with four possible endings.

INCLUDES
Slipcase with brand-new artwork from Sean Longmore
Double-sided foldout Poster
6 Replica Lobby Cards
80-page perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Matthew Edwards + selected archive materials
Reversible sleeve with Hong Kong poster artwork

// DISC 1 //
New 2K Remaster of the Hong Kong Cut [96 minutes]
Cantonese-language Hong Kong Theatrical Mix with normal subtitles and SDH
Cantonese-language Japan Theatrical Mix with normal subtitles and SDH [features rare ending Cantonese narration]
Cantonese Home Video Remix with normal subtitles and SDH
English 5.1
Newly-translated English Subtitles
[New] Frank Djeng Commentary [HK cut]
[New] Mike Leeder and Arne Venema Commentary [HK cut]
[Archive] Cynthia Rothrock Tai Seng Commentary [HK cut]
[New] Cynthia Rothrock Interview
[New] Cynthia Rothrock Scene-specific Commentary
[New] Peter Cunningham Interview
[New] Peter Cunningham Scene-specific Commentary
[Archive] The Vigilante: An Interview with Yuen Biao
[Archive] Action Overload: An Interview with Cynthia Rothrock
[Archive] From the Ring to the Silver Screen: An Interview with Peter Cunningham
Rare alternate “Ladies Man” ending
Hong Kong Trailer
English Trailer
Tai Seng Reconstruction Trailer

// DISC 2 //
New 2K Remaster of the English “ABOVE THE LAW” Cut - English with SDH [92 mins]
New 2K Remaster of the Singapore Cut - Mandarin with normal subtitles and SDH [100 mins]
ULTIMATE CUT featuring 4 possible endings [105 mins - 106 mins approx]
Ultimate Cut Ending Randomizer
Old 08-08-22, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Looks like 80% of the extras crossover between the US and UK releases.

The big exclusives are The Best of the Martial Arts Films documentary on the US set (supposedly coming to some other forthcoming UK set) and the hybrid cut on the UK (a non official cut that is more or less a curiosity). YMMV on which of those is more important, but neither is essential for me. The US set has a few additional interviews as well.

Point is, most should be fine with either set. I don't think there should be any concerns with having to have both unless you're the hardest of hardcore completionists.

Old 08-08-22, 03:08 PM

I'm going with 88's. I like their artwork much more than VS.
Old 08-08-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I prefer the UK artwork as well, and I'm sure their book will have all sorts of vintage goodies I'll inevitably wish had been included in galleries on the disc, but I think the supplements for the VS edition have the edge (in particular the Karen Shepard and Melvin Wong interviews), and no silly 'randomizer' thing -- which sounds like a big time-waster to me -- so I might opt for the US set when it's on sale. I think the doc is a worthier bonus than some gimmick that plays around with footage in ways the filmmakers never intended.

On the VS listings the new interviews with Rothrock, Shepard and Cunningham and Wong are listed as "(* = exclusively produced for this release)", so can one safely assume the Rothrock and Cunningham interviews were simply licensed out to 88 Films, rather than different interviews being shot? Looks like the new Rothrock commentary was also produced for the VS edition, so presumably that was carried over to 88's as well? Looks like Cunningham's commentary is specific to the UK set, plus the "Ladies Man" ending, whatever that is.
Old 08-08-22, 04:51 PM

I know that the Rothrock interview for sure is different than the VS (it was conducted by Frank Djeng), so I assume they are all specific to their own releases if they aren't archival material. I don't think any of the new stuff is shared.
Old 08-08-22, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the update. Looks like they're forcing us to pick one, or get both after all. Sigh.
Old 08-08-22, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the update. Looks like they're forcing us to pick one, or get both after all. Sigh.
Also, regarding The Best of doc... according to Brandon Bentley:
That version of "Best of the Martial Arts Films" has a lot of issues. Thankfully the host/interview segments are still in HD and 1.85 in a 2.35 window (as theatrically shown), but 90% of the footage from the 1.85 widescreen films (even Righting Wrongs) are cropped to 2.35 and taken from old SD masters. Not to mention the improperly converted audio (PAL pitch at NTSC length). When it finally gets a UK release, we'll fix all of these
Old 08-08-22, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Figures.

If it was included on both RIGHTING WRONGS sets, that might make the decision easier for some. Although I'm still partial to the interviews on VS (particularly nice that they got Wong to participate). I've had the SD edition (HK Universe DVD) of BEST OF for years and didn't mind the quality. It was non-anamorphic, to boot. It's really just a sampler, so having it rebuilt with newly scanned and formatted footage and fixed audio would be great, but kind of a wash, too. Probably better that it will appear in the UK with a different film. The question then will be, will that film suddenly have two competing Limited Editions that just have to have their own exclusive supplements?
Old 08-08-22, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

I guess I'm not a big enough fan of these movies to care if I get something like an exclusive Melvin Wong interview or Peter Cunningham commentary or not. I'm not saying I have no interest, but for something I'd maybe watch once? Not shelling out another $40. As long as the relevant cuts and proper subs and audio are included, the rest is gravy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.