Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-16, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Re: DC Animated Universe Films

Originally Posted by Kedrix
I wish I could say GO! is hilarious (to me anyway)...I've watched at least a dozen episodes with my 9 year old nephew. The childish humor borders on "toilet humor" and trying to make some sense of each episode is an activity in complete frustration. I guess I just want to see a point or story arc from episode to episode and it all seems like one bad joke after another.

I guess cause I know the old Teen Titans cartoons so well, that's what I keep comparing them to. I know the Teen Titans should be corny, but it feels like GO! goes WAY over the top and then once it gets there it does it all over again.
But that is why we love it. Some of the situations that happen are supposed to be nutty and they all act that way because of it. We walk around quoting Starfire from the show constantly. And they way they poke fun at Robin all the time makes us laugh the most.

I think it is as good as the mind frame you take into it. If a show where they have a "brocation" and say the word "bro" the entire episode gets on your nerves, then you will hate it. Or they have an entire 12 minute episode dedicated to waffles.

I know what I am getting and can get in and get out. It is definitely confection but it makes me laugh which is all I need. The old show was funny as well, just in a different way.
Old 02-03-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
And they way they poke fun at Robin all the time makes us laugh the most.

I think it is as good as the mind frame you take into it. If a show where they have a "brocation" and say the word "bro" the entire episode gets on your nerves, then you will hate it. Or they have an entire 12 minute episode dedicated to waffles.
I think that's my problem in a nutshell. I'm a huge Robin fan, and I do feel often the show is just "Let's slam Robin and show how stupid he is" And the "brocation" episode (which is one of the dozen I've seen) is the very example of "Let it go already, we get the joke". Now 12 minutes dedicated to waffles should be encouraged . I want to like it for my nephew's sake (cause he is an awesome kid), but I just can't...
Old 02-03-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
I think that's my problem in a nutshell. I'm a huge Robin fan, and I do feel often the show is just "Let's slam Robin and show how stupid he is" And the "brocation" episode (which is one of the dozen I've seen) is the very example of "Let it go already, we get the joke". Now 12 minutes dedicated to waffles should be encouraged . I want to like it for my nephew's sake (cause he is an awesome kid), but I just can't...
My daughter actually hates Robin because of how insensitive and mean he is in the cartoon (I think she really hates Robin in that Kid Flash episode). Time to break out the Teen Titans (non-Go) dvds so she can get a better perspective...

I do think the show is hilarious, but if you're heavily invested in any of the characters, well, they're all terrible, terrible people in this incarnation. I do appreciate any cartoon where Nightwing marries Batgirl, though.

I was watching some of the DC Girls shorts with my daughter, and Beast Boy has the same voice there too.
Old 02-03-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF is Teen Titans anyways? Just teenage versions of the superheroes?
Old 02-03-16, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Its a team of teenage heroes. Robin is their leader (Tim Drake currently) and there have been various other members throughout the years. Its not characters like Batman, Superman, etc. as teenagers.
Old 02-03-16, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Well third time was the charm for finding the Batman:Bad Blood steelbook at Target. Found two copies around 2pm today. Snagged one.

If it is this hard finding an animated Batman movie that no one has ever heard of I can only imagine Target parking lots are going to look like a scene out of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World when The Killing Joke is released!!
Old 02-03-16, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming they don't blow the adaptation, and Target has the steelbook once again, people might want to schedule some time to be at Target at opening.
Old 02-03-16, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Originally Posted by Mike86
Its a team of teenage heroes. Robin is their leader (Tim Drake currently) and there have been various other members throughout the years. Its not characters like Batman, Superman, etc. as teenagers.
Right, it started off with all the DC teen sidekicks hanging out as a team (Robin, Aqualad, Speedy, Kid Flash, Wondergirl), then really took off once Marv Wolfman and George Perez had an older Robin lead a new cast of characters (basically the characters in the cartoon: Starfire, Beast Boy/Changeling, Cyborg, Raven). At the time, two of the most popular books at DC were centered around teenagers (Legion of Super Heroes, New Teen Titans), and the NTT rivaled X-men in popularity.

Back on topic, that New Teen Titans animated adaptation is never being made, is it? Stupid New 52...
Old 02-03-16, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Seems like an obvious marketing idea to skim a few points from the Japanese anime hit of a certain word.
Old 02-03-16, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Well third time was the charm for finding the Batman:Bad Blood steelbook at Target. Found two copies around 2pm today. Snagged one.

If it is this hard finding an animated Batman movie that no one has ever heard of I can only imagine Target parking lots are going to look like a scene out of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World when The Killing Joke is released!!
I got lucky. I found one last copy at a local target...mixed in with the other non-SB versions. The UPCs are still the same and I know there are complaints from others about getting a different UPC for their steelbook editions--not just an internally different SKU (which I hear is hit and miss). So far, Target doesn't seem to give it priority.
Old 02-03-16, 07:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

I had $5 gc so got it for $11.99, but this is last, not worth the effort...
Old 02-03-16, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Target had three copies of the Bad Blood Steelbook when I went tonight. Picked one up.
Old 02-03-16, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like that short of some resellers cleaning out a store of all their copies, there are enough steelbooks to go around. Maybe Target has estimated the demand better than people think given most shoppers don't even care if they get the slipcover.
Old 02-03-16, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Seems like that short of some resellers cleaning out a store of all their copies, there are enough steelbooks to go around. Maybe Target has estimated the demand better than people think given most shoppers don't even care if they get the slipcover.
The problem seems to be that some locations get half a dozen copies while others get none. What good does it do to hit the store right when it opens when you have no idea if that particular location even got any steelbooks in? You end up driving around town looking for your copy anyway. And that's not to mention the eBay sellers who nab anything they find as fast as they can.

There's no reason Target should be ordering just enough to last only release day. Ordering enough to last a few weeks would allow anyone who wants one to be able to get one and the limited quantity would prove to sell out so Target wouldn't be stuck with overstock.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 02-03-16 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-04-16, 05:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

They've been major players in the DC Universe since 1964. You're a bit behind on pop culture, huh?
Old 02-04-16, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Teen Titans GO has ruined me from the franchise. I tried many times to watch it but I just can't get into it. It's just way too silly and over the top for my likening.
Old 02-18-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I finally got a chance to watch Son of Batman, Batman vs Robin, and Bad Blood in a row. Overall I thought it was a very good series and hope they continue the story line. I always thought it was strange that none of the movies really connected to each other, so hopefully they do it more often now.
Old 02-18-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Is the Batman in those movies supposed to be the same one in Justice League War and Throne of Atlantis?
Old 02-25-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Today only, Best Buy has the DC Comics Collection for $68.99. Comes with the 6 movies + graphic novels

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dc-graph...=8575135&loc=0
Old 02-25-16, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today only, Best Buy has the DC Comics Collection for $68.99. Comes with the 6 movies + graphic novels

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dc-graph...=8575135&loc=0
If I didn't have all of those I would buy that in a heartbeat. Great deal!
Old 03-03-16, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What happened to Andrea Romano? Bad Blood's voice-acting was terribly stiff. Strahovski in particular sounded flat, though good job masking the accent. I don't know, it wasn't terrible, and seeing Batwing and Batwoman was cool, but A) I'm getting sick of Batman, and B) this Batman universe isn't terribly interesting. O'Mara is frankly unimpressive as the Dark Knight, and the whole plot is old hat. I realize that there isn't much new to do in the superhero genre, but at lest come up with a cooler new paint job.
Old 03-03-16, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep I've said that multiple times in here. O'Mara is awful as Bruce/Batman. Really not sure why he continues to be used. In general the voice casting hasn't been great for a while on these. It seems like the films based more on the New 52 stories are about when the films went downhill a bit to me. The last one I really enjoyed was The Flashpoint Paradox. Gods and Monsters was good too as an elseworlds type of story.
Old 03-03-16, 11:50 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

frankly, i have been largely disappointed by these DC movies. the only one i've loved and thought was spectacular was Wonder Woman. god knows i would love a sequel with same cast. just thought it was a near perfect animation experience...
Old 03-03-16, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yep I've said that multiple times in here. O'Mara is awful as Bruce/Batman. Really not sure why he continues to be used. In general the voice casting hasn't been great for a while on these. It seems like the films based more on the New 52 stories are about when the films went downhill a bit to me. The last one I really enjoyed was The Flashpoint Paradox. Gods and Monsters was good too as an elseworlds type of story.
The kids and I just watched The Flashpoint Paradox last night. I thought it was a lot better the second time around.
Old 03-03-16, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem is currently $9.99 at Amazon.

Sorry no link.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.