Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Severin Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Severin Blu-ray Thread

Old 06-01-24, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 694 Likes on 514 Posts
Re: The Official Severin Blu-ray Thread

I popped downtown yesterday afternoon purely for something to do, and by early evening I ended up in the neighbourhood where the Hot Docs cinema is located (Hot Docs is our annual documentary film festival, but the theatre, a former rep house, runs all year, although recent events mean they’ll be closing for the summer). I happen to check their schedule and ENTER THE CLONES OF BRUCE was playing, that night, one night only! I’ve seen pre-paid movies at this theatre many times over the years, but the last time a chance opportunity like this happened for me was way back in 2008, when I randomly visited the neighbourhood the night CORMAN’S WORLD was showing, and duly popped in. It’s nice when that kind of thing happens out of the blue.

So despite saying I’d wait for my box set to arrive, I couldn’t resist seeing CLONES on the big screen, and it had me grinning throughout. YMMV of course, and depends on how much of this kind of junk you may have consumed in your youth (not just the Bruce knockoffs, but all the other lower-grade HK chopsocky films). David Gregory, who spent the better part of the last decade piecemeal building this beast (which means some of the folks we see on screen have since passed on) deploys tons of well-chosen clips from the films – in varying quality, of course – many of which amusingly punctuate comments from the interviewees. The clips carry the original hokey English dubs, which is entirely appropriate as most of these movies were made for an export market that just couldn’t let the real Bruce Lee go back in those days, and the original Cantonese or Mandarin tracks are probably long gone if they ever existed at all. It’s really well done, and the graciousness of the Bruces and some of their costars (including Angela Mao Ying, who looks great!) has me itching to check out their many extended interviews in the box. All of these folks have pretty sharp memories of their glory-by-proxy days, and some are obviously a little bittersweet about it because their careers were fairly restricted because of the association. It was also nice to see Juan Piquer Simon’s PIECES put into context here as well (you may recall it has a Bruce in it too). I doubt the documentary will necessarily convert anyone into a fan of these films — after all, most of them are junk, albeit fun junk in the right frame of mind — but on its own it’s about as worthy a tribute to an oddball moment in cinema history as we could ask for. And actor and Bruceploitation expert Michael Worth’s memorabilia collection, particularly the original posters, had me drooling. Lucky bastard.

Last edited by Brian T; 06-02-24 at 02:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Brian T:
Adam Tyner (06-01-24), Josh Z (06-03-24)
Old 06-02-24, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Almost forgot! I mentioned how much the CLONES doc made me grin, and while that started in little ways in the preamble before the credits, the first really big one came during the opening credits themselves, a colourful retro-70's animated collage set to the theme song "King of Kung Fu" from GOODBYE BRUCE LEE: HIS LAST GAME OF DEATH (1975), which is included in Severin's box. I'm not too proud to admit I actually taped this tune off of a VCR recording when I was a kid (most likely from Detroit's local late-night 'Kung Fu Theatre' show). I wasn't exactly a huge martial arts nut, but I loved funky/cheesy riffs like this. At the time I figured I'd never see or hear it anywhere else, let alone in a documentary 40 years later!

Last edited by Brian T; 06-02-24 at 02:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (06-02-24)
Old 06-03-24, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unboxing video for the CLONES set. I’ve always felt Severin is a just a wee bit dodgy with the product illustrations for some of their boxed sets, with their designers making the boxes look a fair bit thicker than they ultimately are (as with the Black Emanuelle set), and in the case of CLONES maybe even a little bit taller. Still, the real set seems nicely designed overall, and all for movies that have been anything but rare during the entire home video era.
Old 06-08-24, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another post about the CLONES doc here just to say that the bonus features are excellent. The extended interview bits total an hour over three featurettes: one with the participants discussing working methods at Shaw Bros.; another with them discussing their experiences working with Lee and their reactions back then to his sudden death; and another about the overall lack of preservation of negatives and IPs once the original exploitation period had passed, which is probably the saddest bit. Frank Djeng’s location tour of ‘Bruce’s Hong Kong’ is one of the better of its kind, even if it’s a little rough anround the edges, and runs 27 minutes and covers a lot of ground (with a slightly amusing cameo by Michael Worth).

Not sure if these segments are available with the digital release, but they add considerable context to the documentary. The extended interviews in particular are the bee’s knees because they mostly venture beyond Bruceploitation and provide great insight into the industry itself from the people who were actually there (instead of the usual cadre of gwailo experts presuming to give us the inside story.)

The commentary is solid too, and breaks down the lengthy production process across multiple countries. Part of the problem was the Bruces themselves, who had encountered so much fanboy fawning over the decades that some were wary of being used in yet another b.s. “interview” that might barely be seen. Bruce Le seemed to play hard-to-get the longest, to the extent that they basically constructed a version of the doc without him to prove they were serious. That convinced him to participate and he basically became the lynchpin of the whole film.

Last edited by Brian T; 06-09-24 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-08-24, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,896 Likes on 2,782 Posts

Remember I did post a thread about the Clones movie in Movie Talk. This thread is really about the releases.

Not everyone here reads physical media threads, so your comments about the movie could get missed.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...ion-genre.html
Old 06-08-24, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remembered it for sure but at three posts, including yours and mine, it didn’t get as much traction as I’d hoped it might (Severin’s very limited theatrical run probably didn’t help). As the doc is more of a Blu-ray release now and the set it’s part of was under discussion here for a while, I just went with this thread. I should probably repost there just in case.
Old 06-14-24, 12:48 PM

Received 4,799 Likes on 3,246 Posts

SEVERIN SUMMER SALE TITLE REVEAL #1

OPERA

THE NORTH AMERICAN UHD PREMIERE
5 DISC COLLECTION
INCLUDES 2 RESTORED VERSIONS
WITH 10 HOURS OF SPECIAL FEATURES
AND SOUNDTRACK CD

It’s been acclaimed by aficionados worldwide as “his biggest film” (Bloody Disgusting), “a breathtaking visual feast” (Daily Dead) and “up there with DEEP RED and SUSPIRIA” (DVD Drive-In). Now experience “Dario Argento’s last full-fledged masterpiece” (Slant Magazine) in The Director’s Cut and U.S. Theatrical Version, both in UHD: When a young opera singer (Cristina Marsillach, in her career-defining performance) is stalked by a masked psychopath, she will be forced into a grisly aria of murder, memories and unimaginable torment. Ian Charleson (CHARIOTS OF FIRE), Urbano Barberini (DEMONS), Antonella Vitale (THE CHURCH), Coralina Cataldi-Tassoni (MOTHER OF TEARS) and Daria Nicolodi (TENEBRE) co-star in this definitive presentation of “one of Argento’s best” (IndieWire) – co-written by Franco Ferrini (PHENOMENA) with cinematography by Oscar® winner Ronnie Taylor (GANDHI) and music by Brian Eno, Bill Wyman and Claudio Simonetti – newly scanned in 4K from the original camera negatives at Cinecittà with 10 hours ofSpecial Features, a soundtrack CD and more.

Special Features:

Disc 1: UHD (2.35:1 Director's Cut / U.S. Cut + Special Features)
• Audio Commentary With Actress Cristina Marsillach And Ángel Sala, Head Of Programming At The Sitges Film Festival (Director's Cut Only)
• Audio Commentary With Alan Jones, Author Of Profondo Argento, And Kim Newman, Author of Anno Dracula (Director's Cut Only)
• OPERA Trailer
• TERROR AT THE OPERA Trailer

Disc 2: Blu-ray (2.35:1 Director's Cut / U.S. Cut + Special Features)
• Audio Commentary With Actress Cristina Marsillach And Ángel Sala, Head Of Programming At The Sitges Film Festival (Director's Cut Only)
• Audio Commentary With Alan Jones, Author Of Profondo Argento, And Kim Newman, Author of Anno Dracula (Director's Cut Only)
• The Eyes And The Needles – Interview With Co-Writer/Director/Producer Dario Argento
• Arias Of Death – Interview With Screenwriter Franco Ferrini
• The Eyes Of OPERA – Interview With Actress Cristina Marsillach
• OPERA Trailer
• TERROR AT THE OPERA Trailer

Disc 3: Blu-ray (1.85:1 Director's Cut + Special Features)
• Audio Commentary With Actress Cristina Marsillach And Ángel Sala, Head Of Programming At The Sitges Film Festival
• Audio Commentary With Alan Jones, Author Of Profondo Argento, And Kim Newman, Author of Anno Dracula
• Don't Close Your Eyes – Interview With Film Historian Fabrizio Spurio
• The Opera And Mr. Jones – Interview With Alan Jones, Author Of Profondo Argento
• Terror At The Opera – Q&A With Dario Argento, Franco Ferrini And Lamberto Bava At Cinema Farnese (2006)

Disc 4: Blu-ray (Special Features)
• OPERA Runs In The Blood – Interview With Actress Coralina Cataldi-Tassoni
• To Catch A Killer – Interview With Actor Urbano Barberini
• In Any Language – Interview With Actress Antonella Vitale
• The Perfect Death – Interview With Actress Daria Nicolodi
• Blood Red Piano – Interview With Composer Claudio Simonetti
• The Eye Behind The Camera – Interview With Camera Operator Antonio Scaramuzza
• Flight Of The Crow – Interview With SFX Artist Sergio Stivaletti
• Blood And Latex – Interview With Make-Up Artist Franco Casagni
• The Gliding Camera – Interview With Steadicam Operator Nicola Pecorini
• 800 Sons – Interview With Press Agent Enrico Lucherini
• Preserving OPERA – Interview With 4K Color Correction Supervisor Karim Hussain
• OPERA Backstage – Behind-The-Scenes Video Created From Archival Footage

Disc 5: CD
• Soundtrack CD

*Exclusive Booklet By Claire Donner Of The Miskatonic Institute Of Horror Studies

Feature Specs for OPERA:

• Runtime Director's Cut: 107 mins / U.S. Cut: 96 mins
• Audio Director's Cut: English 5.1, English Stereo, Italian Stereo, Cannes English Mono / U.S. Cut: English 5.1, English Stereo
• Subtitles Director's Cut: English Subtitles, Closed Captions / U.S. Cut: Closed Captions
• Region UHD: Region Free / Blu-ray Discs 2 & 3: Region A / Blu-ray Disc 4: Region Free
• Aspect Ratio 2.35:1 (Director's Cut / U.S. Cut) / 1.85:1 (Director's Cut)
Adam Tyner (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,997 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Opera is a great film. 5 discs-worth? I'm not so sure ...
Brian T (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Opera is a great film. 5 discs-worth? I'm not so sure ...
Yea, Kurt, you're a basic bitch. Wait for the basic standard version. OK!

Old 06-14-24, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,997 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yea, Kurt, you're a basic bitch. Wait for the basic standard version. OK!

Four discs, sure. Five?! It's too much!!!
Old 06-17-24, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 889 Likes on 750 Posts

Would not surprise me to see the regular version stripped down to the UHD plus the bonus features disc.

I do commend Severin for their commitment to CD soundtracks.
Kurt D (06-17-24)
Old 06-17-24, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,312 Posts

I wonder how many more Argentos we'll see announced for the summer sale. Phantom of the Opera, The Card Player, and Sleepless are other titles that Scorpion had the rights to that are now out of print. Pieces may be another possibility, since Severin talked about acquiring all of Dick Randall's properties. My understanding is that Grindhouse acquired that one in perpetuity, but maybe that's inaccurate, doesn't extend to other territories, or something.

Old 06-18-24, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 06-18-24, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Would not surprise me to see the regular version stripped down to the UHD plus the bonus features disc.
Unless they go the route they did with CEMETERY MAN, where neither of the standard editions (4K or Blu-Ray has the majority of special features that are in the deluxe set via a supplements-only disc. I’m not overly concerned about OPERA or those other Argentos because I don’t think they’re very good or worthy of 4-5 disc treatments, but I’ll give Severin credit for going all in and creating what might presumably be the last, most comprehensive editions of the films that buyers will probably see on physical media.

Interesting to see that release of MUMMY AND THE CURSE OF THE JACKALS. I actually had to look that up, and it really sounds like they’re scraping rock bottom, albeit respectfully. Multiple accounts and reviews say it was never finished in 1969, never released theatrically, and was dumped on VHS in the mid-80’s and forgotten all over again. Sounds like it ranks up there with star Anthony Eisley’s other 1969 turkey THE MIGHTY GORGA. But apparently Severin found the OCN, so there’s that. This is the kind of movie I’d watch in a Mill Creek 50-pack if it had ever been in one, or on MST3K if they ever did it, or on YouTube where you can watch it for free, but I can’t deny that Severin’s treatment does make it tempting. Plus it’s a two-film set:

SEVERIN SUMMER SALE TITLE REVEAL #3

THE MUMMY AND THE CURSE OF THE JACKALS

THE WORLDWIDE DISC PREMIERE
PLUS BONUS SEXPLOITATION FEATURE

Experience the notorious 1969 horror epic that’s been barely seen since its fly-by-night VHS release while existing mostly via sordid rumors for more than 50 years: Anthony Eisley (THE NAKED KISS, DRACULA VS. FRANKENSTEIN) stars in this brain-melting mash-up of dubious Egyptology, risible werewolf transformations, H.G. Lewis-level gore, cut-rate psychedelia and an oven-mitted mummy on a Las Vegas rampage, all set to a swinging soundtrack of lounge and surf instrumentals. The legendary John Carradine (THE GRAPES OF WRATH, HORROR OF THE BLOOD MONSTERS) earns a day’s pay in this “truly incredible masterpiece of bad cinema” (Harbinger) written and produced by William Edwards (DRACULA THE DIRTY OLD MAN), directed by Oliver Drake (THE MUMMY’S CURSE) and scanned in 4K from the original negative discovered at Ewing ‘Lucky’ Brown’s Los Angeles estate sale, now with over 2 hours of Special Features that include the thought-lost Vega International adult feature ANGELICA, THE YOUNG VIXEN scanned from the sole surviving print.

Special Features:
• The Vega International Story – Interview With Stephen Thrower, Author Of Nightmare USA
• Cowboys, Mummies And Oliver Drake – Interview With Film Historian C. Courtney Joyner
• Investing In The Jackal – Interview With Garry Gassel, Son Of Investors Milton R. Gassel And Judi Gassel
• ANGELICA, THE YOUNG VIXEN (61 mins) – 1974 Vega International Adult Film
• Audio Commentary For ANGELICA, THE YOUNG VIXEN With Vinegar Syndrome's Joe Rubin And Exploitation Film Researcher Shawn Langrick

Feature Specs:
• Runtime: 81 mins.
• English Mono
• Closed Captions
• Region Free
• Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1
The movie:

Last edited by Brian T; 06-18-24 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-20-24, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 06-21-24, 12:40 PM

Interesting considering both recently became OCN partner labels.
Fantastic Pavilion, the genre business hub launched at the Cannes Film Festival in 2023, announced a slew of deals closed at the venue this year, with L..A-based Severin Films, a boutique Blu-ray and DVD label, inking a pact to release eleven Special Edition physical discs of the most popular Originals and licensed features from horror subscription streamer Shudder and IFC Films.

Initial titles include Joko Anwar’s “Satan’s Slaves”; Brandon Cronenberg’s “Antiviral”; Can Evrenol’s “Baskin”; Franck Khalfoun’s 2012 remake of “Maniac”; Douglas Buck’s 2006 remake of “Sisters” and André Øvredal’s “The Autopsy of Jane Doe.”

The deal was brokered by Severin Film’s co-founder-CEO David Gregory, Shudder’s Vice President of Programming Sam Zimmerman, and AMC Networks Director of Content Sales Lucas Verga.

“The work done at Severin Films is astounding,” said Zimmerman, adding: “They are directly responsible for some of the greatest home video releases ever and seeing a selection of our Shudder and IFC Films gems get the treatment is a delight.”

“We’ve been working with Shudder since their inception,” said Severin’s David Gregory, who listed the licensing of some 50 hit features that include “Threads,” “Cemetery Man,” “The Changeling” and Severin productions like “Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched” and “Lost Soul – The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley’s Island of Dr. Moreau.”
https://variety.com/2024/film/global...d-1236043787/?
Old 06-21-24, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by dex14
Interesting considering both recently became OCN partner labels. https://variety.com/2024/film/global...d-1236043787/?
Maybe the split is Severin = catalog and OCN = new releases?
Old 06-22-24, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe I’m wrong but haven’t a lot of those titles in the news release already had Blu-ray editions? Or at least DVDs? I’d imagine they were probably barebones, though, or close to it, in anticipation of just such an announcement as this. I was actually just talking with the owner of the VS store here yesterday about the Shudder releases (I was picking up their edition of THE SADNESS) and how it was cool that Shudder released a number of their movies on reasonably affordable DVDs or Blu-rays eventually via RLJE or whatever it’s called (same for IFC really). I talked about always seeing them at Walmarts both up here and (especially) in the U.S., but we both agreed that a LOT of them weren’t that great, not to mention all the chaff they don’t put on disc at all. But the $12 - $15 price point they charged was at least reasonable-ish, and you can often find them even cheaper in places like Big Lots, or in used shops because people generally don’t seem to keep or collect them. This smells like they’re suddenly going to be normalizing them as ‘important’ or collectable somehow, and I’m not sure how much money I’d spend on that. Even THE SADNESS was an exception, as I’ll probably flip it eventually.
PhantomStranger (06-23-24)
Old 06-23-24, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 889 Likes on 750 Posts

I think that is simply the reality of marketing independent horror films in 2024. Definitely more pricey for us as consumers, I was mostly content with the barebones BDs Shudder was putting out.
Old 06-26-24, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 06-28-24, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 07-01-24, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 07-03-24, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Old 07-05-24, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

SEVERIN SUMMER SALE TITLE REVEAL #10

DARIO ARGENTO'S DEEP CUTS

THE NORTH AMERICAN DISC PREMIERE

4 DISC COLLECTION WITH 10 HOURS

FROM DARIO ARGENTO’S RAI TV SHOWS

PLUS NEW SPECIAL FEATURES & MORE

At the peak of his cinematic triumphs, horror legend Dario Argento created projects for RAI TV that broadcast his singular vision of terror into millions of Italian homes: Door Into Darkness is the top-rated 1973 anthology series produced and hosted by Argento, including Il Tram directed by Argento, Il Vicino Di Casa directed by Luigi Cozzi, and Testimone Oculare co-written by Argento & Cozzi, with three of the four episodes sourced for the first time from the original 16mm negatives. Argento’s popular 1987 variety/talk show Giallo is represented by the maestro’s own Dario Argento’s Nightmares scanned from recently discovered film elements, plus the murder mystery segments Night Shift (Turno Di Notte) directed by Cozzi and Lamberto Bava, behind-the-scenes tours from TENEBRE, PHENOMENA, and OPERA, and guests that include Anthony Perkins, David Gilmour & Nick Mason, and Fiore Argento newly digitized from broadcast masters, with over 8 hours of new and archival Special Features.

Special Features:

Disc 1: Door Into Darkness, Part 1
Audio Commentary For Il Tram With Mondo Digital's Nathaniel Thompson And Troy Howarth, Author Of Murder By Design: The Unsane Cinema Of Dario Argento
DARIO ARGENTO: MY CINEMA, Part 1
DARIO ARGENTO: MY CINEMA, Part 2
Disc 2: Door Into Darkness, Part 2
Audio Commentary For Testimone Oculare With Mondo Digital's Nathaniel Thompson And Troy Howarth, Author Of Murder By Design: The Unsane Cinema Of Dario Argento
DARIO ARGENTO: MASTER OF HORROR (87 mins)
A Streetcar Named Fear – Interview With Writer/Director/Producer Dario Argento
On The Other Side Of The Door – Interview With Writer/Director Luigi Cozzi
Disc 3: Night Shift
TV Nightmares – Interview With Producer Dario Argento
Giallo On The TV – Interview With Director Luigi Cozzi
Taxi Drivers – Interview With Director Lamberto Bava
Big Giallo Taxi – Interview With Screenwriter Dardano Sacchetti
Calypso 9 – Interview With Actress Antonella Vitale
Disc 4: Dario Argento's Nightmares
Giallo Argento (100 mins)
Feature Specs:
Runtime: 594 mins.