Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-24-21, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-21, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 319 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
So I ruined the mood of this first time get-together and had a fun conversation with my wife after they left on why I would find a movie like that appealing and actually view it numerous times. That was fun.

So moral of the story...pick a fun movie when choosing for stuff like this unless you really know your audience. Lesson learned.
One of my ex-girlfriends was very upset when I bought a BD copy of Truck Stop Women (1974) at a record store while we were on X-Mas vacation. We broke up that night.

Props to your relationship surviving much worse cinematically

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Gut punch. Didn't get that job whose interview felt like a slam dunk last week but at least it's still October. Going to sneak in one more school related movie for tonights theme, 1981's Night Class.
Sorry to hear that. I've been a teacher for well-over 10-years now and had grown very unhappy with a school I had given a chunk of my life to.

For 3-years I sent out resumes and went on interviews that led nowhere. I always knew I was qualified (sometimes over-qualified). I wanted to give up so many times.

Then this year, out of nowhere, an opportunity came and I'm the happiest I've ever been as an educator.

I generally don't trust the universe to do anything correctly but for these kind of things, what is meant to be will come to pass. Hang in there.
The following 3 users liked this post by asianxcore:
Spiderbite (10-09-21), SterlingBen (10-09-21), WillieMLF (10-10-21)
Old 10-09-21, 11:36 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

I’ve told this story a couple times before I’m sure, but short version follows.

Had a first date back in high school with this really cute and into me girl that I worked with at McDonalds. The date wasn’t at McDonalds, we worked there. Although perhaps I should have taken her to McDonald’s, the result would have been the same and I would have saved some cash. But anyway, after a nice dinner and with the evening going well, we go to Blockbuster to pick a film. I hadn’t seen it, but had heard people raving about Evil Dead and chose it. May have happened even before, but the tree rape scene definitely made sure it was a first AND last date. My first kiss would have to wait.
The following 2 users liked this post by Trevor:
Darkgod (10-09-21), Spiderbite (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

When I was in high school I took a girl to the movies for a first date. She wanted to see School of Rock but I thought it was a waste of a movie-theater experience to see a comedy, so I took her to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) instead. She didn't like horror movies and spend the entire film hiding behind her hands. There was no second date.

Sometimes us horror fans have to learn the hard way that not everyone is like us.
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveyJoe:
Spiderbite (10-09-21), WillieMLF (10-10-21)
Old 10-09-21, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 148 Likes on 98 Posts

Man, y’all are a bunch of hard cases with the horror dates. You win them over with The Runaway Bride, then when their guard is down, you spring Wolf Creek on them!

I love Eden Lake, but it is a very, very brutal movie. You should have shown something like The Loved Ones. It’s got some real brutality, but it’s cloaked in a very dark humor, and that somehow absolves it of its sins.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 10-09-21 at 01:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WillieMLF:
Gobear (10-09-21), Spiderbite (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 333 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I’ve told this story a couple times before I’m sure, but short version follows.

Had a first date back in high school with this really cute and into me girl that I worked with at McDonalds. The date wasn’t at McDonalds, we worked there. Although perhaps I should have taken her to McDonald’s, the result would have been the same and I would have saved some cash. But anyway, after a nice dinner and with the evening going well, we go to Blockbuster to pick a film. I hadn’t seen it, but had heard people raving about Evil Dead and chose it. May have happened even before, but the tree rape scene definitely made sure it was a first AND last date. My first kiss would have to wait.
Tree rape should have sealed the deal. She wasn't the right one.
The following users liked this post:
Gobear (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 893 Likes on 577 Posts

The first date my ex wife and I went on was Rob Zombie’s Halloween. We were both pretty quiet at first then all of a sudden we couldn’t stop laughing. We both hated it so much and at first neither of us could tell how the other felt about it.
Old 10-09-21, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 220 Likes on 133 Posts

Made my first big mistake of the challenge.

My wife and I had another couple over last night (first time I had met them) and they wanted to watch a horror movie. My wife isn't a horror movie fan (or really any movies in general) but the other couple said that they love horror films. I was going through various choices and trying to decide what they might like. I asked if they wanted more horror fun/comedy or horror scary/intense. They picked intense. So I went a little overboard with my choice of Eden Lake (2008). I honestly think it is a 5 star movie and have always loved it but I guess it has been a few years since I had seen it and forgotten how brutal and unflinching it is.

My wife walked out in the middle and left to clean up the kitchen. The other wife stayed but watched with head turns, holding her hands over her face looking like she was gonna puke at any moment or a combination of both. The guy was okay but I don't think he was expecting it to be so heavy and seemed a little shell-shocked when it was over.

So I ruined the mood of this first time get-together and had a fun conversation with my wife after they left on why I would find a movie like that appealing and actually view it numerous times. That was fun.

So moral of the story...pick a fun movie when choosing for stuff like this unless you really know your audience. Lesson learned.

But for those who haven't seen it...I still highly recommend it and give it 5 stars.
At least you didn't pick Salo.

Movies are always a bad first date idea because the purpose of the date is to get to know the other person and find out if there is a mutual spark, and it's hard to do that sitting next to someone for 2 hours, especially when you are unsure of your date's limits. My husband isn't a horror fan, but he will watch some movies with me, like Rosemary's Baby and Interview With the Vampire. Being a gay couple, we also enjoy the camp quotient of a lot of these movies, although he did ask why the hell I was watching Frankenhooker last night. My answer is that Frank Henenlotter is the John Waters of horror movies.
Spiderbite (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 175 Likes on 132 Posts

I didn’t have a big selection from my discs to choose from for today’s theme, so decided to look up YouTube when I saw a title that caught my eye. I first looked for Killer Snake ​​​​​, but didn’t see it on there. I thought Robo Vampire sounded interesting, and found it on there. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I liked the idea of Robocop vs Vampires.
Old 10-09-21, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 893 Likes on 577 Posts

After Grave Robbers I decided for some reason to do a cop day. Dead Heat, Maniac Cop 1-3 and Psycho Cop Returns.
Old 10-09-21, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 193 Likes on 135 Posts

Made my first big mistake of the challenge.

My wife and I had another couple over last night (first time I had met them) and they wanted to watch a horror movie. My wife isn't a horror movie fan (or really any movies in general) but the other couple said that they love horror films. I was going through various choices and trying to decide what they might like. I asked if they wanted more horror fun/comedy or horror scary/intense. They picked intense. So I went a little overboard with my choice of Eden Lake (2008). I honestly think it is a 5 star movie and have always loved it but I guess it has been a few years since I had seen it and forgotten how brutal and unflinching it is.

My wife walked out in the middle and left to clean up the kitchen. The other wife stayed but watched with head turns, holding her hands over her face looking like she was gonna puke at any moment or a combination of both. The guy was okay but I don't think he was expecting it to be so heavy and seemed a little shell-shocked when it was over.

But for those who haven't seen it...I still highly recommend it and give it 5 stars.
Yeah, most people's idea of scary/intense horror is something like A Quiet Place or The Conjuring. I've learned it helps to have a little conversion about what things the other person has seen and what things they like, to gauge things better. I made a similar mistake once of being in charge of picking the movie. I thought Peter Jackson's Dead Alive would be a big hit ... I was wrong.

Apologize and try to get the couple to trust you with picking the movie again. This time, see how they like A Serbian Film. It's a can't miss crowd-pleaser!

Speaking of scary/intense horror, I really enjoyed the remake of The Queen of Black Magic (it's on Shudder). I thought I might be getting myself into another dull slow-burn (of which I've been getting way too much of recently). I was very wrong ... once this movie got going, it was an insane roller-coaster to the end. Very gruesome and gory, and not for people with insect-phobias or can't handle movies where terrible things happen to children. Although being a supernatural horror story, I can have fun with it in a way I can't with movies like Eden Lake.

The 1981 original is also on Shudder and is goofy fun. I love how the training involved to become a queen of black magic was slow motion bouncing on a trampoline in front of a full moon. Although I bet that wasn't needed at all, but was just made up by the old black magic master because he was being a lech.
The following 2 users liked this post by brainee:
Spiderbite (10-09-21), WillieMLF (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Oy, the 1940s set of 100 Years of Horror contains a lot of stinkers, most staring Bela Legosi.

21. Before I Hang (1940)*
22. Man Made Monster (1941)*
23. The Boogie Man Will Get You (1942)*
24. The Return of the Vampire (1943)*
25. Cry of the Werewolf (1944)*
26. The Vampire's Ghost (1945)*
27. The Flying Serpent (1946)*
28. Scared to Death (1947)*
29. The Creeper (1948)*
30. Master Minds (1949)*

Highlight of the bunch is the previously mentioned The Boogie Man Will Get You annnnd, that's probably it. Save me 1950s horror!
The following 2 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
Darkgod (10-09-21), Spiderbite (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 220 Likes on 133 Posts

I have a fondness for some of the Monogram titles. One excellent Karloff B-picture is The Walking Dead, where Karloff yet again plays an executed man revived by mad science. It’s extremely well done and one of Karloff’s better films, IMO.
Old 10-09-21, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Things have not started well for the 1950s. I can't find a flick that came out in 1950 so had to burn my last wild card on something kinda close, a Tex Avery cartoon called The Cuckoo Clock which nips from Poe albeit very loosely and more from Sylvester and Tweety without a shame at all. Right down to the same gag of painting a character on a hungry character's finger with predictable results. Here's hope the rest of the decade fares better.
Old 10-09-21, 05:37 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Things have not started well for the 1950s. I can't find a flick that came out in 1950 so had to burn my last wild card on something kinda close, a Tex Avery cartoon called The Cuckoo Clock which nips from Poe albeit very loosely and more from Sylvester and Tweety without a shame at all. Right down to the same gag of painting a character on a hungry character's finger with predictable results. Here's hope the rest of the decade fares better.
There're a lot of great ones on this list -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_of_the_1950s
Are you specifically looking for things you haven't watched before?
Old 10-09-21, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With the onset of WWII, horror took a big downturn in the 40s. I suppose it makes sense that people weren't in the mood with so much real world horror in the world. Of course, there were exceptions ... like The Wolf Man, Val Lewton. But it seems most "horror" were the silly grade-Z cheapies.

Originally Posted by Gobear
I have a fondness for some of the Monogram titles. One excellent Karloff B-picture is The Walking Dead, where Karloff yet again plays an executed man revived by mad science. It’s extremely well done and one of Karloff’s better films, IMO.
That was a really good one. And it wasn't what you'd think. Karloff isn't going around killing people. More ambiguous and interestingly, he has a kind of "spirit of death" hanging over him causing people around him to die almost by accident (which made me think a little of Final Destination, although the deaths are nowhere near as elaborate).
Gobear (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 251 Posts

For anyone who has held off on buying the Friday the 13th Collection on BD which came out a year ago, the price dropped on Amazon to $94.99

http://www.amazon.com/Friday-Collect...dp/B07GNV288V/
Old 10-09-21, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 822 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Angel? Interesting.
Does this even count?

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Im using a wild card. The Joe Bob Face book groups are either blowing a gasket about Angel or mocking those blowing a gasket,

Originally Posted by clckworang
The prostitute movie? Weird choice.

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Fucking Terror Train? Fuck.
It counts. Don't even worry about using a wild card since it's the Halloween special. I think it's pretty apparent Joe Bob gets off on intentionally pissing off fans during these specials.
Toddarino (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jholmes
There're a lot of great ones on this list -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_of_the_1950s
Are you specifically looking for things you haven't watched before?
Yup, that's what I am culling from but totally no flick for 1950! Thankfully, the rest of the decade looks good.
jholmes (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha, looking at titles from 1952 and discover this amazing blurb: "A newly wed woman goes to the local shaman to get some help with her lovelife, but instead gets turned into a white reindeer vampire."

of course I gotta' watch THAT!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by ViewAskewbian:
Gobear (10-09-21), WillieMLF (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 731 Likes on 523 Posts

Yup, that's what I am culling from but totally no flick for 1950! Thankfully, the rest of the decade looks good.
Try this instead - slim pickin's but the first is on Amazon streaming...

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?t...&genres=horror
Old 10-09-21, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Horror date story: I was going to the movies with a girl, and she mentioned her friend was over and if I could bring a friend. I do... and we see The Ring. So way back I drop off my friend, her friend, and then her... we sit in front of her house, doing what young folk do.. and my phone is blowing up. Its my friend... on the 8th call... I answer and I am like WHat..... what do you want. He says hes locked out, asks if he can crash. Me being the good friend, I say Ill come get him. Drop her off and grab my friend. We're about two blocks from my house when he tells me he was able to get into his house, but his mom and dad were away and he was too scared to stay home alone. So... instead of making out with my date, i was headed home to have my friend sleep on my floor because he was too scared of The Ring.

I luck out now that my wife is a horror fan and will watch just about anything with me.
The following 3 users liked this post by Darkgod:
Chad (10-09-21), MysterioMan007 (10-09-21), WillieMLF (10-09-21)
Old 10-09-21, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ha, looking at titles from 1952 and discover this amazing blurb: "A newly wed woman goes to the local shaman to get some help with her lovelife, but instead gets turned into a white reindeer vampire."

of course I gotta' watch THAT!!!
The White Reindeer! I watched that for a previous challenge ... it's a really good movie (and should be a big change of pace from those grade-Z 40's Lugosi movies you've been watching). Though it's more of an arthouse fantasy than horror movie.
Old 10-09-21, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 731 Likes on 523 Posts

My horror date story is: It's 1972 - I have shoulder length hair - I show up to pick up my date, am introduced to her ex-Marine father, and he "entertains" me for ~10 minutes while she finished getting ready. There was *not* a 2nd date... We saw The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean.
Old 10-09-21, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
The White Reindeer! I watched that for a previous challenge ... it's a really good movie (and should be a big change of pace from those grade-Z 40's Lugosi movies you've been watching). Though it's more of an arthouse fantasy than horror movie.
Really enjoyed it. It's a good folk tale with elements of the supernatural and a tinge of horror. The snowscapes were fantastic.
Old 10-10-21, 07:37 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 684 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
Horror date story: I was going to the movies with a girl, and she mentioned her friend was over and if I could bring a friend. I do... and we see The Ring. So way back I drop off my friend, her friend, and then her... we sit in front of her house, doing what young folk do.. and my phone is blowing up. Its my friend... on the 8th call... I answer and I am like WHat..... what do you want. He says hes locked out, asks if he can crash. Me being the good friend, I say Ill come get him. Drop her off and grab my friend. We're about two blocks from my house when he tells me he was able to get into his house, but his mom and dad were away and he was too scared to stay home alone. So... instead of making out with my date, i was headed home to have my friend sleep on my floor because he was too scared of The Ring.

I luck out now that my wife is a horror fan and will watch just about anything with me.
This reminds me of one of my only other horror-related stories that I’m sure I’ve told here a couple/few times over the years. Watched The Ring for the first time shortly after if was released on home video. Was home alone, middle of the night, and really got into the movie emotionally. I was really in a very rare for me intense state of fear of being home alone, like covering my eyes and having a blanket ‘for protection’ sort of last intense hour of the film. As the credits started to roll, at like 3 am or so, my frigging phone rang. The short moment was so intense that I literally cried. Can’t explain why that moment was so intense for me, the film wasn’t that scary, but some combination of my emotions and environment that particular moment produced tears of fear. Can’t say I’m ashamed of it, sort of glad that a story can affect me emotionally one way or another occasionally. Don’t think it’s ever happened again to that extent, but I still emotionally connect to some extent in most viewings of anything.
The following 3 users liked this post by Trevor:
Darkgod (10-10-21), jholmes (10-10-21), WillieMLF (10-10-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.