Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-24-21, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 10-11-21, 12:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by Chad
The winner of The Sunday Night Trivia Question #1: Banner Edition...

tarfrimmer

Congratulations! You're now the winner of the HamiltonBook.com Prize Pack #1
Awesome! Thank you! What a nice Monday morning surprise.
Old 10-11-21, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 17th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by brainee
I don't remember having seen this movie. And looking through my collection, I actually own the DVD set that has that movie. The Icons of Horror Collection also has The Black Room, The Man They Could not Hang, and Before I Hang. And I don't remember seeing any of these movies. Maybe one of those hanging movies ... there were a few movies from that time with really similar stories. I'll have to watch them all this October! The brisk running times (average length of 65 minutes) will make it easy to fit them in.
I watched the first DVD (with The Black Room and The Man They Could not Hang) and so far this is really good. The Man They Could not Hang was particularly interesting since the "mad science" of the story is now common medical practice: using machinery to function as someone heart for an extended period of time, while critical surgery can be performed. The technique was successfully done on a human for the first time in the early 1950's. But in 1939, Karloff's character was considered a "mad scientist" for trying it. The stupidity and ignorance of the other characters was infuriating to watch: Karloff's nurse who rats him out, the police dragging him away mid-surgery in handcuffs (leading the patient volunteering to needlessly die), the jury, prosecuting lawyer, and judge at Karloff's trial berating him for violating the laws of man and God for daring to do such a thing (which, as Karloff correctly argues, would be a procedure that would save countless lives).

When Karloff's character snaps and starts going on a killing spree of all those who opposed him, it's hard to not be on his side a bit. This movie also has a really cool ending sequence where Karloff traps the people on his "kill list" in his mansion. He tells them (through a speaker, while he's safely in another part of the house) that each of them is going to die at exact 15 minute intervals, and even gives them the order. And the house is booby-trapped in a way that the deaths occur exactly as he said (despite their efforts to avoid them). This part could've been an entire movie by itself. Some of these older movies have so much stuff packed into their short running times (this was a little over an hour).
The following 2 users liked this post by brainee:
Gobear (10-11-21), jholmes (10-11-21)
Old 10-11-21, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

I watched Escape the Undertaker on Netflix last night. First off, my recommendation would be to not watch it. It's pretty bad. But my bigger question has to do with how to count it. While it's listed at 31 minutes, it actually required a longer time investment to see everything. It's one of those choose your own adventure things. I was wondering if anyone else was counting it as a single entry after going back and seeing all the unseen paths,
Old 10-11-21, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I watched Escape the Undertaker on Netflix last night. First off, my recommendation would be to not watch it. It's pretty bad. But my bigger question has to do with how to count it. While it's listed at 31 minutes, it actually required a longer time investment to see everything. It's one of those choose your own adventure things. I was wondering if anyone else was counting it as a single entry after going back and seeing all the unseen paths,
I noticed this on Netflix today, but decided to stay away from it because of the open ended timing.

I was a little burned out from all the horror this weekend, so I decided to watch The Mortuary Collection followed by 2 episodes of the Halloween Baking Championship. I love waitching the baking championship shows, and I should be ready to jump back in tomorrow.
Old 10-11-21, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 364 Likes on 306 Posts

Breaking up the Challenge with episodes of Jujutsu Kaisen was a great idea.

Fantastic show that I've been trying to finish since April of this year.

Hopefully I'll be able to hit my goal of 31 in the next week or so!
Old 10-11-21, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
I found this courtesy of Dinosaur Dracula. Would a vintage horror awards show count as a documentary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFkQrd5gnBI&t=80s
So I was stumbling around on YouTube and discovered there's also a Horror Hall of Fame II and III. I always under the impression this was a one and done event. And yes, they do count as an entry, and the third one's only 36 minutes long, so good for combining with other shorts.

Spoiler:
Horror Hall of Fame II:

Horror Hall of Fame III:

Fangoria also hosted a televised version of the 2021 Chainsaw Awards. It aired live on Shudder once without much fanfare.

Spoiler:
Old 10-11-21, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by clckworang
I counted it as half a movie, mainly because I fast-forwarded through all the repeat footage and I figure I spent about 45 minutes total with it. Though I wouldn't argue if you counted it for more.

I was disappointed in the "bad" options. I was hoping for more satisfying humiliations for the New Day.
Old 10-12-21, 01:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I watched the first DVD (with The Black Room and The Man They Could not Hang) and so far this is really good. The Man They Could not Hang was particularly interesting since the "mad science" of the story is now common medical practice: using machinery to function as someone heart for an extended period of time, while critical surgery can be performed. The technique was successfully done on a human for the first time in the early 1950's. But in 1939, Karloff's character was considered a "mad scientist" for trying it. The stupidity and ignorance of the other characters was infuriating to watch: Karloff's nurse who rats him out, the police dragging him away mid-surgery in handcuffs (leading the patient volunteering to needlessly die), the jury, prosecuting lawyer, and judge at Karloff's trial berating him for violating the laws of man and God for daring to do such a thing (which, as Karloff correctly argues, would be a procedure that would save countless lives).

When Karloff's character snaps and starts going on a killing spree of all those who opposed him, it's hard to not be on his side a bit. This movie also has a really cool ending sequence where Karloff traps the people on his "kill list" in his mansion. He tells them (through a speaker, while he's safely in another part of the house) that each of them is going to die at exact 15 minute intervals, and even gives them the order. And the house is booby-trapped in a way that the deaths occur exactly as he said (despite their efforts to avoid them). This part could've been an entire movie by itself. Some of these older movies have so much stuff packed into their short running times (this was a little over an hour).
I've been working my way through the Karloff blu-ray set from Eureka and it has some of the same movies. I really liked The Man They Could Not Hang, too. It was a fun watch from beginning to end, almost like a sped-up Agatha Christie in reverse. The Black Room was also really well done. I have a few more titles from that set to watch, hoping they're just as good.
Old 10-12-21, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

The 1950s of my 100 years of horror have gone...if the 30s were about Monster, the 50s were about aliens!

31. The Cuckoo Clock (1950)*+
32. The Man from Planet X (1951)*
33. The White Reindeer (1952)*
34. It Came From Outer Space (1953)*
35. Target Earth (1954)*
36. The Quatermass Xperiment (1955)*
37. X The Unknown (1956)*
38. I Was a Teenage Frankenstein (1957)*
39. Attack of the Puppet People (1958)*
40. Night of the Ghouls (1959)*

Highlights of this bunch are The White Reindeer (total surprise how much I enjoyed this) and It Came From Outer Space. Had to cap the decade off with an Ed Wood I'd never seen and now I never need to see it again. Ditto Teenage Frankenstein.
The following users liked this post:
jholmes (10-12-21)
Old 10-12-21, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

For the horror gamers who need a break.. Visage just dropped on Xbox Gamepass.... and so far, its frightening at times. Also the new Ledt 4 dead game (In spirit) went live.
Spiderbite (10-12-21)
Old 10-12-21, 10:55 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I think most everyone here has it down but it's still fun to see the infographic

​​​​​​​
This is great. Thanks for posting it!
The following 2 users liked this post by Shack:
KaBluie (10-12-21), Voorheeshulk (10-13-21)
Old 10-12-21, 03:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Fwiw, Fandor is back as a streaming service with most films available free with ads. Pretty large and eclectic horror section. Havenít streamed anything in this new iteration of the service yet.
Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Have you watched one with ads yet? I looked at one movie and it had quite a bit of breaks marked throughout the stream and there were 6 minutes(!) of ads before the movie even started. Anyone know if the ad breaks are that long throughout the films for that channel? Because if that is the case, I will pay the 5 bucks or whatever for the month and then dump it after the challenge.

I don't really mind a 2 minute break or less a couple of times before and during the movie but 6 minutes of ads each break and when there are 6 to 8 breaks during the film, that is crazy annoying.
Iíve only watched most of one film so far, tomorrowís subset choice Curse of the Demon. Somehow, Iíve received no ads at all. I see 8 marks where ad breaks are supposed to be, and a message briefly pops on the screen saying that an ad break is about to start, but then the movie just continues. A glitch? Iím not a subscriber. iOS fwiw; maybe their pop-up blocker somehow works on this app?
Old 10-12-21, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,145 Likes on 699 Posts

Iíve only watched most of one film so far, tomorrowís subset choice Curse of the Demon. Somehow, Iíve received no ads at all. I see 8 marks where ad breaks are supposed to be, and a message briefly pops on the screen saying that an ad break is about to start, but then the movie just continues. A glitch? Iím not a subscriber. iOS fwiw; maybe their pop-up blocker somehow works on this app?
Interesting. Thanks for the response. I will give it a shot before I subscribe. I have had that happen with other channels before as well. I always chalked it up to maybe they just didn't actually sell the ad time or didn't program it in?
Old 10-12-21, 05:15 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I got my copy of the 4K UHD from Shout Factory today. I finally upgraded from the 1999 DVD, because it comes with a Blu-ray with the supposed original color timing. After comparing the 4K UHD, "original color timing" Blu-ray, and 1999 DVD, it looks like I will still be sticking with the DVD, because it's the only version that looks like actual autumn to me. The 4K UHD looks like summer and the Blu-ray looks yellowish and unnatural to me.

I know there has been a debate for years over what is the actual original color timing, and I'm not getting involved in that debate because I didn't see Halloween in theaters when it was originally released. For me, I just prefer the color timing of the 1999 DVD over every other release, even though I'm taking a hit when it comes to resolution. I took pics of all 3 versions for anyone who wants to see the differences.

4K UHD

"Original Color Timing" Blu-ray

1999 DVD
The following 6 users liked this post by Bladz:
BobO'Link (10-13-21), Chad (10-12-21), Crocker Jarmen (10-12-21), Darkgod (10-12-21), IBJoel (10-21-21), Voorheeshulk (10-13-21) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-12-21, 05:22 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Thats very interesting Bladz. thanks for the screen shots
The following 2 users liked this post by numbercrunch:
Bladz (10-13-21), IBJoel (10-21-21)
Old 10-12-21, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 180 Likes on 113 Posts

Has anyone had any trouble with a Ghostbusters Blu-Ray? I tried last year to watch my Blu-Ray and the menu wouldn't load when I put it into the player. I figured it must be defective, so I went out and bought a replacement. Tried it this year with the new Blu-Ray and it still won't load. It just gets hung up on some ectoplasm graphic and just freezes. Luckily, I still have my old DVD version of Part 1 & 2 together and can still watch without spending, but don't want to buy another replacement only to have it do the same thing again.

That said, with Afterlife coming out in a month, I'm nostalgic about this one. My dad took me to the theater to see it back in '84 upon release and I've never grown tired of it. I was disappointed with the sequel but it had its moments and I enjoyed it for what it was... now I just have to wait a month for Afterlife. Ugh.
Old 10-12-21, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Well yeah it looks like it is actually fall on the DVD.

Also if anyone does not plan to watch Nightbooks you might give this song a listen. If you do plan to watch it then refrain from clicking the spoiler.
Spoiler:
Old 10-12-21, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I’ve only watched most of one film so far, tomorrow’s subset choice Curse of the Demon. Somehow, I’ve received no ads at all. I see 8 marks where ad breaks are supposed to be, and a message briefly pops on the screen saying that an ad break is about to start, but then the movie just continues. A glitch? I’m not a subscriber. iOS fwiw; maybe their pop-up blocker somehow works on this app?
I watched the same on my Roku tonight and experienced the same. Also, I noticed that if I pause the movie, it goes back to the timestamp of the last pause (or the start of the movie if it is your first pause). Makes for fun when you need to pause and then go find where you left off. Funny enough, when you fast forward back to your old spot, the time in the bottom left picks up where you paused where the time over the video preview picks up at the location you've been booted back to.

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Has anyone had any trouble with a Ghostbusters Blu-Ray? I tried last year to watch my Blu-Ray and the menu wouldn't load when I put it into the player. I figured it must be defective, so I went out and bought a replacement. Tried it this year with the new Blu-Ray and it still won't load.
Which release? I can grab mine and check it in a bit. I checked and it loaded the menu and I was able to start the movie fine. I skipped into a few chapters and they played without fine. I have this release:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ghost...lu-ray/105570/

Last edited by exharrison; 10-12-21 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-12-21, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 364 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Thats very interesting Bladz. thanks for the screen shots
I'll echo another thank you to Bladz.

I haven't been in a rush to get the 4K BDs, so this helps a bit.
Bladz (10-13-21)
Old 10-12-21, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,145 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Has anyone had any trouble with a Ghostbusters Blu-Ray? I tried last year to watch my Blu-Ray and the menu wouldn't load when I put it into the player. I figured it must be defective, so I went out and bought a replacement. Tried it this year with the new Blu-Ray and it still won't load. It just gets hung up on some ectoplasm graphic and just freezes. Luckily, I still have my old DVD version of Part 1 & 2 together and can still watch without spending, but don't want to buy another replacement only to have it do the same thing again.
Boil some water, grab a large bowl, place the disc in the bowl and pour the boiling water over it. Dry it and then give it a shot.

I have had to do that to several discs lately. Works like a charm.

Had a strange and wild unexpected double feature tonight. My son saw that I subscribed to Shudder and we were looking at the various movies. He saw they had Possum (2018) and wanted to watch that. He had seen the trailer before. I wasn't too enthused but agreed. I can't always pick the films. It was okay. It definitely had some creepy parts but was a very slow moving film which I always struggle with. I can't say it was great but if you like slow, creepy and not every answer given to you, it may be your jam.

It gave off a kind of Eraserhead (1977) vibe to me so we double-featured and I showed him that. At the end, he just looked at me and exclaimed, "What the fuck did you just have me watch?"

I told him that he showed me a weird flick so I returned the favor. Mine won for creepiest. Dad always wins!
The following 4 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
EdTheRipper (10-12-21), HyperWeather (10-13-21), Kurt D (10-12-21), Undeadcow (10-13-21)
Old 10-12-21, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Had a strange and wild unexpected double feature tonight. My son saw that I subscribed to Shudder and we were looking at the various movies. He saw they had Possum (2018) and wanted to watch that. He had seen the trailer before. I wasn't too enthused but agreed. I can't always pick the films. It was okay. It definitely had some creepy parts but was a very slow moving film which I always struggle with. I can't say it was great but if you like slow, creepy and not every answer given to you, it may be your jam.

It gave off a kind of Eraserhead (1977) vibe to me so we double-featured and I showed him that. At the end, he just looked at me and exclaimed, "What the fuck did you just have me watch?"

I told him that he showed me a weird flick so I returned the favor. Mine won for creepiest. Dad always wins!
I suffered through Possum in a recent challenge. I think I liked it even less than you. My review from then:
This could've been a good short, but at 85 minutes was repetitive and dull. Plus, the idea of a dreary brooding character study of someone battling personal trauma and insanity is by no means a new one. This does have one super creepy spider puppet. *1/2
You definitely won that movie showdown! Penis head monster baby >>>>> creepy spider puppet
Old 10-13-21, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Pulled an interesting Double Feature last night of:

Straight-Jacket
and
Die, Die My Darling

There was that interesting phase in the 60s of golden age hollywood actresses going bonzo in horror movies. Bette Davis, I'm looking at you.
Old 10-13-21, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Guys did anyone win a Hamiltons prize yet? Just want to make sure I didn't miss something that I need to send out!
Old 10-13-21, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Guys did anyone win a Hamiltons prize yet? Just want to make sure I didn't miss something that I need to send out!
Yep, tarfrimmer won the first prize pack. I don't know if the shipping information has been sent yet.
GoldenWheels (10-13-21)
Old 10-13-21, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by exharrison
Yep, tarfrimmer won the first prize pack. I don't know if the shipping information has been sent yet.
Oh jeez and now I scroll up with one mouse-wheel roll and see it. Figures!
exharrison (10-13-21)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.