Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 16th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 09-13-20, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 16th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Old 09-07-20, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 16th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

I think I'm going to start out the early challenge watching questionable probably bad movies that I've been curious in (Killer Sofa, Bus Party to Hell, etc) - it'll probably make the solid films seem better in October... or excessively long films.
Old 09-07-20, 05:50 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 16th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Originally Posted by JOE29
So I picked Burnt Offerings. Which was fantastic.
One of my favs! Karen Black is so naturally creepy and Olive Reed is *chef's kiss*.
Old 09-07-20, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been hit and miss on the challenge for the past 5-6 years, but I am going to try and really do well this year ("well" for me would be 31 total entries).

Question: Would podcasts count? Matt Gourley and Paul Rust do a great job on the podcast "In Voorhees We Trust With Gourley and Rust". It has a comedic flair, but they really dive into the Friday the 13th series (and they also did the Halloween movies). I would suggest each podcast is one entry (they are quite long).
https://www.earwolf.com/show/in-voorhees-we-trust/

It's really a commentary if you think about it, so I would hope it would count, but I didn't see it explicitly stated in the rules.
Old 09-07-20, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jholmes
One of my favs! Karen Black is so naturally creepy and Olive Reed is *chef's kiss*.
Yes. I enjoyed it very much. I could rewatch this again next month. I watched the bluray of this movie that I own.
Old 09-07-20, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Numes
Question: Would podcasts count? Matt Gourley and Paul Rust do a great job on the podcast "In Voorhees We Trust With Gourley and Rust". It has a comedic flair, but they really dive into the Friday the 13th series (and they also did the Halloween movies). I would suggest each podcast is one entry (they are quite long).
https://www.earwolf.com/show/in-voorhees-we-trust/

It's really a commentary if you think about it, so I would hope it would count, but I didn't see it explicitly stated in the rules.
That one, yes. They're covering individual entries of the franchise, even if most episodes are considerable longer than the actual films, so as long as you have said film playing in the background at some point while listening as you would an actual commentary, well, I don't see why not.

That said, I wouldn't say any podcast counts, and that's regardless if it's feature-length. Something along the lines of Post Mortem, The Movies That Made Us, etc. that cover a multiple array of topics would be pushing it.
The following users liked this post:
Numes (09-07-20)
Old 09-07-20, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 750 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
I discovered something interesting while looking up Horrorhound #83. At www.horrorhound.com I found out that they are showing the Indianapolis Horrorhound convention virtually this year. For just $10 you could theoretically watch the entire film fest from your bedroom. From want I can gather, they will be showing 6 new or relatively new movies, 57 shorts, a Q&A session with Tony Todd, Robert Englund and Rick Baker. They also have after-hour events, including one on Atomic Age Cinema. They will also have the H2F2 awards ceremony. There will be other things of course, including a virtual selling room as I understand it. Anyway, look at the website, don't look at what I say as the final word. But if you are one of the people starting early, this runs the 18th-20th so it fits in that time frame. I wasn't planning on starting early but this has changed my mind. Even if I just watched the movies 6 movies for $10 is a great deal in my mind. Just thought I would pass this on to everyone.
I'm not planning to start the challenge early, but that sounds like a good appetizer before the traditional start.
Old 09-07-20, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
That one, yes. They're covering individual entries of the franchise, even if most episodes are considerable longer than the actual films, so as long as you have said film playing in the background at some point while listening as you would an actual commentary, well, I don't see why not.

That said, I wouldn't say any podcast counts, and that's regardless if it's feature-length. Something along the lines of Post Mortem, The Movies That Made Us, etc. that cover a multiple array of topics would be pushing it.
Thanks Chad, that makes sense to me. I like the idea of having the movie on in the background for at least part of it. It also makes sense that it should be specific to a movie rather than just a generic horror or movie podcast.
Chad (09-07-20)
Old 09-07-20, 09:50 PM

Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

Is there any interest in doing a Watch Party during the challenge? A few streaming services have a group watch/chat feature.

Amazon Prime -
Amazon Amazon

Hulu - https://help.hulu.com/s/article/watc...language=en_US

Netflix (Chrome extension) - https://www.netflixparty.com/
The following 2 users liked this post by TheBigDave:
Darth Maher (09-10-20), Undeadcow (09-07-20)
Old 09-08-20, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

I discovered something interesting while looking up Horrorhound #83. At www.horrorhound.com I found out that they are showing the Indianapolis Horrorhound convention virtually this year. For just $10 you could theoretically watch the entire film fest from your bedroom. From want I can gather, they will be showing 6 new or relatively new movies, 57 shorts, a Q&A session with Tony Todd, Robert Englund and Rick Baker. They also have after-hour events, including one on Atomic Age Cinema. They will also have the H2F2 awards ceremony. There will be other things of course, including a virtual selling room as I understand it. Anyway, look at the website, don't look at what I say as the final word. But if you are one of the people starting early, this runs the 18th-20th so it fits in that time frame. I wasn't planning on starting early but this has changed my mind. Even if I just watched the movies 6 movies for $10 is a great deal in my mind. Just thought I would pass this on to everyone.
Thanks for this. Went ahead and signed up!
Old 09-08-20, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Is there any interest in doing a Watch Party during the challenge? A few streaming services have a group watch/chat feature.

Amazon Prime - https://www.amazon.com/adlp/watchpar..._nb_watchparty

Hulu - https://help.hulu.com/s/article/watc...language=en_US

Netflix (Chrome extension) - https://www.netflixparty.com/
That makes me nostalgic for the old Netflix Party we attempted years ago that never really caught on. Of course you had to have an Xbox 360 with a gold membership at the time that I didn't have.

Spoiler:

Xbox users -- Have a Netflix Party:

Are you a Netflix subscriber with an Xbox gold membership? Wanna have a NETFLIX PARTY?

If so, post your gamertag or send it via PM to Mister Peepers.

SEND A FRIEND REQUEST TO DVDTalkHorror to join the parties.

Feel free to host a party whenever you want.
If you're watching something check the DVDTalkHorror friend's list and invite people!

Just go to Friends ---> DVDTalkHorror ---> Personal Profile ---> View Friends.
And then you can just invite whoever is online on that list into a party.

Recently, Microsoft updated the Netflix player on the 360. Among the changes is the addition called 'Netflix Parties'. Basically someone is a host and invites people to watch a movie together. Everyone watches it at the same time, and we can communicate w/ voice during the movie.

You need an Xbox 360, a gold account, and a Netflix subscription. There's only one catch: For right now, Starz Play and Disney movies are not allowed to be used for parties.

We can use this thread to pick out movies and times to watch them. We can try to vary things up.

While we can watch classics or stuff we've all seen, I think it would be interesting to check out stuff that the entire group may not have watched. We could even take a gamble and watch god knows what. I think even some riffing on intentionally bad movies could be good for a laugh if done sparingly.

Old 09-08-20, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the Godzilla/Kaiju theme - Word on the street is the Gamera: The Complete Collection set from Arrow will be selling out soon and won't be sticking around until the 8/18 street date. Amazon currently has it in stock, and Mike from Grindhouse Video said more copies are coming there soon. If you've been on the fence now's the time to act. This sucker, unlike the anorexic Godzilla Criterion set, is the same size as the Herschell Gordon Lewis cereal box set, FYI.
For those that ordered from Amazon only to be massively disappointed (like me) ...for those that missed the amazing deal of $119.95 at HamiltonBook (like me) ....for those that missed out on Grindhouse Video yesterday (I managed to get in on this one, which sold out minutes later) ...you have another chance today, and it's quite possibly your last before having to resort to paying exorbitant eBay prices:

https://roninflix.com/products/gamer...a&_ss=e&_v=1.0

30 copies available today at 6:30 PM PT.
Undeadcow (09-08-20)
Old 09-08-20, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

For those that ordered from Amazon only to be massively disappointed (like me) ...for those that missed the amazing deal of $119.95 at HamiltonBook (like me) ....for those that missed out on Grindhouse Video yesterday (I managed to get in on this one, which sold out minutes later) ...you have another chance today, and it's quite possibly your last before having to resort to paying exorbitant eBay prices:

https://roninflix.com/products/gamer...a&_ss=e&_v=1.0

30 copies available today at 6:30 PM PT.
I've been touting the miracle that is DDD. I was really surprised to have received Gamera from there with the number of cancellations that were handed out. I'm tempting fate currently as I've preordered the F13 set and Arrow's Jodorowsky set.
Old 09-09-20, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

That's awesome! Bought my pass just now... By the time it's all said and done, it was $16 Canadian, but still well worth it. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-09-20, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 811 Likes on 538 Posts

If anyone streams prime or shudder through their ps4, I think party chat works for that too.
Old 09-09-20, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Pluto Tv just added a Dark Shadows channel
Old 09-09-20, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So that Gamera set link from Ronin Flix I posted yesterday sold out in seconds. Literally seconds.

Also belated thanks for the HorrorHound virtual convention heads up. Very curious to check that out.
Old 09-09-20, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

The new Dogfish Head finally came in, now the season can begin.

Can't wait to compare it to some older ones from my reserves.
The following 5 users liked this post by SterlingBen:
Chad (09-09-20), DaveyJoe (09-10-20), Gobear (09-10-20), mallratcal (09-10-20), PileOfFudge (09-13-20)
Old 09-09-20, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the 2020 Subset List in no particular order ...with the physical media and streaming guide included. The theme/subset hybrid table with all the bells and whistles is coming soon, and same goes for the subset threads. Until that time the current status of the assigned dates can be found on post 7 of the pre-challenge thread.

This was thrown together very quickly. If I missed something please let me know and I'll update accordingly.

Everything this year is available in HD (some 4K) and has a Blu-ray release (some imports) with the exception of Boardinghouse. Of course that's an SOV flick, so nobody was expecting that.

As always, an eclectic mix with a few classics, modern, under-the-radar, gory, psychotronic, Gothic, obscure, erotic, a documentary, avant-garde, cheeseball, foreign, and some farting muck-men. Plus a 2020 exclusive: SterlingBen gives the most unSterlingBen pick ever! (I see you "Evil Toons" in the upper left corner of that pic.) Quite a few have recent first-time Blu-ray and UHD releases and upgrades. Comments welcome.

Häxan (1922) - Criterion - Group Vote / On Blu-ray from The Criterion Collection.

1. Color Out of Space (2019) - Subjective - Chad / On UHD and Blu-ray from Image. / On Shudder

2. Wolfen (1981) - Adaptations - Gobear / On Blu-ray from Warner Archive.

3. The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) - Stormy - The BigDave / On Blu-ray from Scream Factory. / On Netflix

4. Spookies (1986) - Cheesy 80's - T-bone22 / On Blu-ray from Vinegar Syndrome. LE slipcover edition is unfortunately sold out. / On YouTube (in 1080p HD)

5. Terrified (Aterrados) (2017) - Supernatural - tarfrimmer / Just released on Blu-ray from Image. / On Shudder

6. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) - Chrono - alyxstarr / On Blu-ray from Kino Lorber. / On Prime (silent), Prime (full sound)

The Body Snatcher (1945) - Chrono - alyxstarr / On Blu-ray from Scream Factory.

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (1970) - Chrono - alyxstarr / On Blu-ray from Arrow Video. / On Tubi

Out of the Dark (1995) - Chrono - alyxstarr / No American release, but a limited edition region free slipbox Blu-ray available from Nova Media (South Korea) and a standard Blu-ray from Intercontinental Video (HK). / On Prime

7. Images (1972) - Photo - arw6040 / On Blu-ray from Arrow Academy. / On Shudder, On Prime

8. The New York Ripper (1982) - NYC - jholmes / Just released on UHD (and Blu-ray) from Blue Underground. / On Tubi

9. Doctor Sleep (2019) - Sadistic - shellebelle / On UHD and Blu-ray from Warner Brothers with both theatrical and director's cut. Director's cut is only available on Blu-ray, but there is a 4K digital version.

10. Nightmare Beach (1989) - Joe Bob - clckorang / On Blu-ray from Kino Lorber.

11. The Blackcoat's Daughter (2015) - Devil's Night - hbsvb / On Blu-ray from IFC Midnight. / On Netflix

12. Zombieland: Double Tap (2019) - Zombies - Darkgod / On UHD and Blu-ray from Universal.

13. Boardinghouse (1982) - Analog - ade3333 / On DVD from Olive Films. Includes both 98 minute theatrical cut and 2 hour and 37 minute(!) director's cut.

14. Frozen (2010) - Snow/Ice - WillieMLF / On DVD from Starz / Anchor Bay. Also available in HD on digital.

15. Thirst (2009) - Vampires - SterlingBen / On Blu-ray from Kino Lorber.

16. Dagon (2001) - RIP Stuart Gordon - mallratcal / On Blu-ray from the Vestron Video Collector's Series from Lionsgate. / On Tubi

17. Who's Watching Oliver? (2017) - Slashers - Undeadcow / On Blu-ray from Gravitas Ventures. / On Prime

18. Under the Skin (2013) - Euro - Bladz / On Blu-ray from Lionsgate.

19. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) - Halloween - MysterioMan007 / On Blu-ray from Scream Factory. / On Shudder

20. Shutter (2004) - They Shoot Zombies, Don't They? - ororama / On DVD from Tartan Asia Extreme. Also on German Blu-ray from Ascot Elite Home Entertainment. / On Netflix

21. The Beast and the Magic Sword (1983) - Werewolves - DaveyJoe / On Blu-ray from Mondo Macabro in a retail edition. Limited "Red Case" edition has sold out.

22. The Devil Rides Out (1968) - Hammer/Amicus - numbercrunch / On Blu-ray from Scream Factory.

23. Frenzy (1972) - Guillermo del Toro - pacaway / On Blu-ray from Universal.

24. Eaten Alive (1976) - Nightmare - Toddarino / On Blu-ray from Arrow Video. / On Prime

25. The Monster Club (1981) - Anthologies - Dimension X / On Blu-ray from Scorpion Releasing, but OOP. Also available on Blu-ray from Network (UK) and Elephant Films (FR). / On Prime, On Tubi

26. Transylvania 6-5000 (1985) - Folklore - orlmac / On Blu-ray from Kino Lorber. / On Prime

27. Black Christmas (1974) - RIP John Saxon - Shack / On Blu-ray in a Collector's Edition from Scream Factory. / On Shudder, On Tubi

28. What Have You Done to Solange? (1972) - RIP Ennio Morricone - cwileyy / On Blu-ray from Arrow Video. / On Prime

29. Dr. Giggles (1992) - Pandemic Parade - JAX036 / On Blu-ray in a double feature with "Otis", but OOP. Also available on German Blu-ray from Alive with Lenticular 3D cover, standard case, and LE Digibook with two different covers.

30. Destroy All Monsters (1968) - Godzilla - mrcellophane / On Blu-ray From The Criterion Collection and Tokyo Shock. / on Tubi

31. Street Trash (1987) - Video - Trevor / On Blu-ray from Synapse. / On Shudder

The Witches (1990) - Comedy - Group Vote / On Blu-ray from Warner Archive. / On Netflix

Last edited by Chad; 09-17-20 at 12:12 AM.
The following 11 users liked this post by Chad:
arw6040 (09-16-20), cwileyy (09-10-20), DaveyJoe (09-10-20), MysterioMan007 (09-11-20), orlmac (09-10-20), T-bone22 (09-10-20), tarfrimmer (09-10-20), TheBigDave (09-10-20), Toddarino (09-10-20), Undeadcow (09-10-20), WillieMLF (09-10-20) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-10-20, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

I must apologize to everyone for forcing you to watch a Korean Vampire movie but it's been on my 'to watch' shelf for 7 years now, I had to do something. Also maybe it's awesome, in which case, you're welcome.
Old 09-10-20, 01:05 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
The new Dogfish Head finally came in, now the season can begin.
That's how I feel about Halloween Oreos

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I must apologize to everyone for forcing you to watch a Korean Vampire movie but it's been on my 'to watch' shelf for 7 years now, I had to do something. Also maybe it's awesome, in which case, you're welcome.
Thirst is awesome! Very excited to see it again!

Gobear (09-10-20)
Old 09-10-20, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

I was browsing documentaries on Shudder and found Eli Roth’s History Of Horror. Watched the first episode on zombies and it looks like a good show.
Gobear (09-10-20)
Old 09-10-20, 02:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

...an eclectic mix with a few classics, modern, under-the-radar, gory, psychotronic, Gothic, obscure, erotic, a documentary, avant-garde, cheeseball, foreign, and some farting muck-men. Plus a 2020 exclusive: SterlingBen gives the most unSterlingBen pick ever! (I see you "Evil Toons" in the upper left corner of that pic.) Quite a few have recent first-time Blu-ray and UHD releases and upgrades. Comments welcome.
Looks great!

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I was browsing documentaries on Shudder and found Eli Roth’s History Of Horror. Watched the first episode on zombies and it looks like a good show.
Watched that a couple years ago. Enjoyed it! Second season starts 10/10 on AMC.

Eli Roth's History of Horror Season Two

Premieres Saturday, October 10 at 10pm ET/9c

Season Two of Eli Roth's History of Horror digs even deeper into the catacombs of creepiness, exhuming landmark films and cult classics while chewing on the entrails of recent horror cinema. The series explores the dark power and wicked fun of scary movies, the craft that went into making them, and the ways that horror films reflect the anxieties of their times. The story is told by Eli Roth and a celebrated cast of writers, directors, actors, cinematographers, composers, and special effects artists who bring our nightmares to life.

Interviewees include Stephen King, Quentin Tarantino, Jordan Peele, Ari Aster, Bill Hader, Nancy Allen, Megan Fox, Greg Nicotero, Rob Zombie, James Brolin, Edgar Wright, Piper Laurie, Leonard Maltin, Katharine Isabelle, Jack Black, Slash, Rachel True, Ashley Laurence, Joe Dante, Roger Corman, Mary Harron, John Landis, Tom Savini, Karyn Kusama, and many others.

Source

Last edited by tarfrimmer; 09-10-20 at 02:38 AM.
Old 09-10-20, 06:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not going to lie. This year's subset picks have me pretty excited!

Thanks Chad and all volunteers for some solid choices.
The following 3 users liked this post by JAX036:
Chad (09-10-20), orlmac (09-10-20), WillieMLF (09-10-20)
Old 09-10-20, 07:18 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

A good looking subset list!
WillieMLF (09-10-20)
Old 09-10-20, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

This might be the highest rewatches for the subset picks. 22/36 are rewatches. Good mix of movies though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.