Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by mallratcal
ParaNorman is a pretty good animated horror flick, even if IMDB doesn't list it as one.
We've actually used that one in a past challenge.
Old 08-30-17, 04:51 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

We didn't do The Mist? Maybe we missed it in a list? I swear we did it.
Old 08-30-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
We didn't do The Mist? Maybe we missed it in a list? I swear we did it.
I remember commenting on it in the reviews forum.
Old 08-30-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

We did MIST in '15.
Old 08-30-17, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Since we've been talking about Under the Shadow over in the discussion thread, I'm going to add it to my picks...

Under the Shadow - Supernatural/Quiet/Soft
Old 08-30-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

The Mist discussion thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...e-day-7-a.html

It's kind of a bummer that the discussion threads just wither away without future use; it seems like chances are good someone will get suckered into watching The Mist or Killer Tongue this year and suffer in silence.
Old 08-31-17, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
The Mist discussion thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...e-day-7-a.html

It's kind of a bummer that the discussion threads just wither away without future use; it seems like chances are good someone will get suckered into watching The Mist or Killer Tongue this year and suffer in silence.
I'm up for the Killer Tongue as I seemed to have missed it. I seem to remember the discussion was a bit of fun to read through, and I seem to vaguely remember Trevor was a big fan
Old 08-31-17, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by pacaway
Since we've been talking about Under the Shadow over in the discussion thread, I'm going to add it to my picks...

Under the Shadow - Supernatural/Quiet/Soft
People keep talking about this. Off to Netflix to add it to the queue before I forget.
Old 08-31-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
I'm up for the Killer Tongue as I seemed to have missed it. I seem to remember the discussion was a bit of fun to read through, and I seem to vaguely remember Trevor was a big fan
Don't do it. Resist the temptation.
Old 08-31-17, 08:49 AM

Yeah, seems like those threads rarely get bumped. We should all remember to search for specific horror threads when we get a hankering to discuss a specific films. Sort of keep the OHMC spirit alive during the off months.
Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Made me search for it to trigger my memory.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...-day-11-a.html

Looks like others hated it more than me, I was too much in disbelief to comment much. Might need to give it another try this year.

Didn't we decide that year to ban SterlingBen from future recommendations?
Old 08-31-17, 12:52 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
We've actually used that one in a past challenge.
Well nuts.

I'd like to suggest everyone stays away from The Haunted World of El Superbeasto, at least. It's not Killer Tongue bad, but still not great.
Old 08-31-17, 01:35 PM

Well nuts.

I'd like to suggest everyone stays away from The Haunted World of El Superbeasto, at least. It's not Killer Tongue bad, but still not great.
Yeah, that was one of my least favorite views ever iirc.
Old 08-31-17, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Yeah, seems like those threads rarely get bumped. We should all remember to search for specific horror threads when we get a hankering to discuss a specific films...
It might be interesting to pick some previously used horror movie to revisit on subset list; there are a lot of excellent movies so that we wouldn't 'have' to re-use one but maybe Shakma has only gotten better with time.
Old 08-31-17, 02:35 PM

It might be interesting to pick some previously used horror movie to revisit on subset list; there are a lot of excellent movies so that we wouldn't 'have' to re-use one but maybe Shakma has only gotten better with time.
Shakma is awesome! Yeah, but maybe a different idea would be a return of the weekly horror club. We could use that for return visits to classics, and for "timely" choices on things like holidays, notable new Netflix releases, and in memoriam choices.
Old 08-31-17, 03:01 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I second that idea with gusto! If we used it to revisit pervious subset choices I think it would be awesome to see what people think after reviewing them.
Old 08-31-17, 03:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
I second that idea with gusto! If we used it to revisit pervious subset choices I think it would be awesome to see what people think after reviewing them.
If we decide to do this, may I suggest:

Pregnancy - It's Alive (1974)
Old 08-31-17, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well nuts.

I watched that during one challenge. It was a painful viewing.
Old 08-31-17, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by clckworang
I watched that during one challenge. It was a painful viewing.
It's amazing people kept giving Rob Zombie money to make 'movies' as long as he has; I admire the gutsy depravity in some of his films but it doesn't seem like he has much of an eye for subtlety or artistry and often resorts to cliches (which I think is his sort of odd meta Tarantino style homage attempt at humor). I'm surprised he didn't get labelled the 'El Superbeasto' guy and drummed out of movies quicker. Lords of Salem eventually showed some promise and House of 1k Corpses was a refreshingly modern update on the hodge podge of ideas from other movies but otherwise I don't see what people like about Zombie's films.
Old 08-31-17, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Rob Zombie is awful, I was so pissed that one year we had Lords of Salem as a subset pick.
Old 08-31-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm just glad he's no longer associated with the Blob remake #2.
Old 08-31-17, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I enjoyed The Devil's Rejects, but that is his only movie I liked.
Old 08-31-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let me know what other subsets to revisit, and I can put a featured section under the current list.

Shakma
It's Alive

Anything else?
Old 08-31-17, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Wait, are we planning on recycling subset picks? There are plenty of amazing gems we haven't used yet.
Old 08-31-17, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^We'd still have the usual 33 new picks. This would be a seperate addition to that list.
Old 08-31-17, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
Let me know what other subsets to revisit, and I can put a featured section under the current list.

Shakma
It's Alive

Anything else?
I did mention Shakma but intended as a joke; there are likely other more interesting/better subset films to revisit if that goes forward.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.