Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-17, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Agreed, I'm holding off buying horror movies so I can pick up a few subset picks once the list is finalized.
Old 09-03-17, 10:34 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I'm late to this thread and just skimmed it and am not sure the status of everything...so if that's enough excuses...

I'd be happy to volunteer for a subset discussion thread if there are still openings.
Old 09-03-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I hadn't checked the volunteer list. I didn't realize we were still so short. I was wondering why there wasn't more movement. That would explain it!

Come on, people! We need some more volunteers! Check out the selected themes and make a movie recommendation.
Old 09-03-17, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

How are we doing on the checklist?

Here are some ideas, if needed - if not then great:
Add 'watch a previous subset film' as an option to make up a theme night (some years theatrical releases are really lacking).

Remove decades earlier than 1930s because no/few features. [I've suggested this before and it wasn't popular but how many times can people watch Einstein's 1910 10 minute silent Frankenstein? - film history is important, but if there's not much meaningful content rings hollow]

Actors:
Veronica Cartwright (Alien, Birds, Invasion of BS - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0001021
Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Grindhouse, The Thing-r, Black Xmas-r) - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0935541
Kane Hodder (fits with F13 theme day - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0387987
Michael Rooker (Slither, Belko Exp, Henry) - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0740264
Paul Naschy (57 horror films, fits Hispanic theme) - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0596701

Producers:
Roy Lee (It '17, Death Note, Ring) - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0498175
Bradley Fuller (Ouija, Purges, TCM remakes)- http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0298181
Lliyd Kaufman (Troma) http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0442207
Astron-6 (The Editor, Father's Day) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astron-6

Directors:
Mary Lambert (Pet Semetary) - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0005116
James Wan (Conjuring, Saw Indisious) - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm1490123

Writers:
H.P. Lovecraft (From Beyond, Re-Animator) - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0522454
Robert Block (Psycho, Straight-Jacket, House Dripped Blood) - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0088645
Jaume Balaguero ([Rec], Inside, Darkness) - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0049371

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-03-17 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-03-17, 01:24 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow

Here are some ideas, if needed:
Add 'watch a previous subset film' as an option to make up a theme night (some years theatrical releases are really lacking).

Remove decades earlier than 1930s because no/few features. [I've suggested this before and it wasn't popular but how many times can people watch Einstein's 1910 10 minute silent Frankenstein? - film history is important, but if there's not much meaningful content rings hollow]
I'll always disagree on removing any decades or ratings or similar from the checklist. It's not like you personally have to use them. Ignore them if you like. There are more choices the 1910-1919 decade than just that short, many feature length. And for people who don't like modern horror, it's nice to have the options to fill the "x of y decades" for the checklist.

Definitely agree that we need at least two options for alternates in qualifying for the theme and subset list checklists. If someone works a 24 shift and misses one day of viewing out of 31, they shouldn't be penalized in missing both lists.

Maybe have the subset and theme nights of Criterion and Comedy count as wildcards? So one could miss two of the 31 proper days of October, but still be counted as completing both lists. This could be in addition to the theatrical wildcard and whatever else we have or implement.
Old 09-03-17, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mallratcal
It's me. I'm the one that enjoys Lords of Salem.
Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I like lords of salem too
You guys are people I want to watch movies with!

Originally Posted by Chad
If I do check out 31 someday, well, it's gonna be safely away from the confines of the challenge.

And BTW, all this Rob Zombie talk is confusing during preparation and I accidentally put down El Superbeasto for at least 3 animated subset suggestions, so thanks for that.
So...you saying there's a chance we watch El Superbeasto this challenge lol

This talk about Rob Zombie (I liked Lords of Salem too) makes me think about the state of horror, I'm a little out of touch with things but are there any standout horror directors from the past 5 years? The most modern directors that come to mind are those in the 'Splat Pack' but many (like Eli Roth, waht has he done lately?) were most active in the 2000s. The death of George Romero and Tobe Hooper makes me wonder if we will see future Stephen King / Clive Barker style luminaries whose names are immediately connected with epic horror content or if the state of things is to just have an occasional one shot horror film from a lucky indie director and as a side project of a mainstream celebrity. I'm not a fan of Rob Zombie and hopefully he's not the last to stake his name/reputation on horror. I looked through directors on the checklist over the past 5 years and don't see a lot of modern ones (maybe it just takes time to build a legacy).
The top director right now would be James Wan and the company he keeps, though Wan is now stepping out into bigger fish that I don't think we've really seen other director's do in the horror game. There's a lot of good indy horror, but it's not like a lot of these director's are breaking out. I know Ti West was mentioned, but he's more meh to me. Hit or miss. Mike Flanagan is getting there, I think. Scott Derrickson has a lot of potential, but also, like Wan, broke out and did a huge comic film.
Old 09-03-17, 07:08 PM

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Remove decades earlier than 1930s because no/few features. [I've suggested this before and it wasn't popular but how many times can people watch Einstein's 1910 10 minute silent Frankenstein? - film history is important, but if there's not much meaningful content rings hollow
I don't have a problem with keeping all of the decades, since we changed the format a few years back so that one only has to watch eight of the available decades to complete that section of the checklist.
Old 09-03-17, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Definitely agree that we need at least two options for alternates in qualifying for the theme and subset list checklists. If someone works a 24 shift and misses one day of viewing out of 31, they shouldn't be penalized in missing both lists.

Maybe have the subset and theme nights of Criterion and Comedy count as wildcards? So one could miss two of the 31 proper days of October, but still be counted as completing both lists. This could be in addition to the theatrical wildcard and whatever else we have or implement.
Now, I could be wrong, but I thought if you missed the "movie of the day" on that day, but watches it at one point, they are still allowed to count it to that checklist. Am I wrong?
Old 09-03-17, 10:52 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Now, I could be wrong, but I thought if you missed the "movie of the day" on that day, but watches it at one point, they are still allowed to count it to that checklist. Am I wrong?
You can watch subset films and checklist items any time but theme days need to be on the specified day.
Old 09-04-17, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

So...you saying there's a chance we watch El Superbeasto this challenge lol

Last edited by Chad; 09-04-17 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-04-17, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shack
I'm late to this thread and just skimmed it and am not sure the status of everything...so if that's enough excuses...

I'd be happy to volunteer for a subset discussion thread if there are still openings.
Added. Thank you. The current list of all suggestions is on post #8.

Five spots remaining.

I'm still working on the other two lists, so it'll still be awhile yet before getting to it. All the potential new additions are what you see on post 9, minus a few I still need to carry over.

I'll plug the new suggestions into last year's in bold and we can add or subtract as needed.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm glad this was brought up because it slipped through the cracks last year. And probably my fault. Both suggestions added to post 9 so it should be dealt with, whatever we decide.
Old 09-04-17, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I am SO FAR BEHIND this year. I totally intended to be here discussing earlier. I swear last I checked it was May...
Old 09-04-17, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

List thread just went up.

Old 09-04-17, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still taking volunteers for subset? Can put me down if so. I have 400+ posts to catch up on here, so not sure how far you got with that.
Old 09-04-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
Still taking volunteers for subset? Can put me down if so. I have 400+ posts to catch up on here, so not sure how far you got with that.
Or I could just read a couple posts back literally on this page... Anyway, put me down please. I'll check out suggestions.
Old 09-04-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Added to the list.

All the current suggestions up to this point are on post #8.

The themes list is on post #6.

And we're now down to 4 open spots.
Old 09-04-17, 10:16 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

You guys are people I want to watch movies with!
I'll get the pizza, you bring the beer.
Old 09-04-17, 11:12 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Since you still need volunteers, I thought I would try my first subset pick. Here are some suggestions.

Zombies - The Girl With All the Gifts (2016) - Amazon Prime

Caribbean Islands - Juan of the Dead (2011)

Serial Killers - The Midnight Meat Train (2008) - Amazon Prime

Animated - Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015) - Netflix

Pregnancy - Shelley (2016) - Netflix

Day of the Woman - Evolution (2015) - Netflix
Old 09-05-17, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hbsvb
Since you still need volunteers, I thought I would try my first subset pick. Here are some suggestions.

Zombies - The Girl With All the Gifts (2016) - Amazon Prime
Oh! nice choice! It's also on Netflix
Old 09-05-17, 07:50 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Out of curiosity, how do the final subset films get picked?

thx
Old 09-05-17, 11:22 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

thx
I always forget how it exactly goes down. I think we're now in mass recommendation mode, but any hour now Chad will assign themes to the volunteers. Then each of us will choose a qualifying film, possibly using the recommendations, and hopefully picking something that is streaming and/or easily obtained. I try to make my choice within this thread, asking advice and getting multiple confirmations before locking it in.
Old 09-05-17, 12:12 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Oh! nice choice! It's also on Netflix
I thought I had checked Netflix and it wasn't there, but I see that it must be on Netflix Canada.
Old 09-05-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

thx
People volunteer to provide suggestions. Those suggestions are received by Chad who then makes the final decision on the films and how they correspond with the themes. There's probably a little bit of black magic involved.
Old 09-05-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
People volunteer to provide suggestions. Those suggestions are received by Chad who then makes the final decision on the films and how they correspond with the themes. There's probably a little bit of black magic involved.
Typically I throw a few suggestions for each theme, and Chad does the hoodoo. There can be only one!
Old 09-05-17, 01:43 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

thanks to all. i kinda guessed from reviewing last years thread that Chad would eventually pick one film for each theme from our recommendations.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.