Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

The hard part is deciding what to use the wildcard for. Any guesses as to what this year's Killer Tongue might be? Hobgoblins perhaps?
Old 09-26-17, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I vote for no changes to theme/subset wildcards. Keep theatrical screening as a wildcard for theme days but no other addition. I dont think the theme days should be too open ended otherwise it defeats the purpose.
This is my vote as well.
Old 09-26-17, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
The hard part is deciding what to use the wildcard for. Any guesses as to what this year's Killer Tongue might be? Hobgoblins perhaps?
The MST3K version is really funny. The DVD set it comes in is OOP, but I'm sure it's streaming somewhere.
Old 09-26-17, 07:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
One more thing before before this thread stops serving its purpose. Theme and subset wildcard additions. Currently we only have 'watch a theatrical film' as a subset wildcard.

And before kicking off voting, are these all the suggestions:
  • Have Criterion and Comedy crossovers count as wildcards
  • Add 'watch a previous subset film' as an option to make up a theme night
  • Using a live event as one theme night wildcard.
Do you perhaps have a small typo in the second item? Not sure how "previous subset" compensates for current "theme".

But anyway, by possibly too thorough explanations and votes in the wildcards issue are:

On the subset, the core 31 choices are the crux of the invention, and should be stressed. However, there are very good reasons that someone may have for not being able to watch all 31. These reasons include not being able to find them, refusing to use illegal streams, and refusing to watch movies of that director for ethical reasons (Polanski, Salva, etc). Because of these legitimate reasons, wild cards are a good option. The current theatrical showing wildcard is nice, but increasing it to three, with the optional Criterion and Comedy Challenge crossover choices, is my choice. This guarantees that someone still watches 31 films of the official subset, they just get to choose 31 out of our already "official" 34 choices. To me, someone watching just the base 31 and none of the 3 optional, has fully satisfied the subset list. So someone who has spent the same amount of time, and has also watched 31 of the 34, should be considered just as compliant.

Themes later, work got busy....
Old 09-26-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I do think 'watch a previous subset film' would make a good checklist item in the future. [...or 'watch and comment on a prior subset film thread'].

Also, I recommend streamlining the RIP checklist in coming years. There are a lot of names on it and many of them have just marginal horror output; granted it's a 'pick 3' option but the list sadly takes up a lot of room and looks imposing. I love the idea of memorial theme days for heavy hitters (like we've done with Romero and Hooper) that are recently departed and while the acknowledgment is good I think that just 'watch a movie with a recently deceased contributor' might work for the rest.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-26-17 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-26-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do think 'watch a previous subset film' would make a good checklist item in the future. [...or 'watch and comment on a prior subset film thread'].

Also, I recommend streamlining the RIP checklist in coming years. There are a lot of names on it and many of them have just marginal horror output. I love the idea of memorial theme days for heavy hitters (like we've done with Romero and Hooper) that are recently departed and while the acknowledgment is good I think that just 'watch a movie with a recently deceased contributor' might work for the rest.
I love the idea of adding watch a previous subset pick as a checklist item. That's quite a deep pool at this point.
Old 09-26-17, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
On the subset, the core 31 choices are the crux of the invention, and should be stressed. However, there are very good reasons that someone may have for not being able to watch all 31. These reasons include not being able to find them, refusing to use illegal streams, and refusing to watch movies of that director for ethical reasons (Polanski, Salva, etc). Because of these legitimate reasons, wild cards are a good option. The current theatrical showing wildcard is nice, but increasing it to three, with the optional Criterion and Comedy Challenge crossover choices, is my choice. This guarantees that someone still watches 31 films of the official subset, they just get to choose 31 out of our already "official" 34 choices. To me, someone watching just the base 31 and none of the 3 optional, has fully satisfied the subset list. So someone who has spent the same amount of time, and has also watched 31 of the 34, should be considered just as compliant.

Also, I recommend streamlining the RIP checklist in coming years. There are a lot of names on it and many of them have just marginal horror output; granted it's a 'pick 3' option but the list sadly takes up a lot of room and looks imposing. I love the idea of memorial theme days for heavy hitters (like we've done with Romero and Hooper) that are recently departed and while the acknowledgment is good I think that just 'watch a movie with a recently deceased contributor' might work for the rest.
Agree with all this ^.
Old 09-26-17, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Do you perhaps have a small typo in the second item? Not sure how "previous subset" compensates for current "theme".
That was copy & pasted directly from either here or the suggestions thread. I am simply the impartial messenger relaying the message, although it has been corrected.
Old 09-26-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Killer Tongue is way way better than Hobgoblins. Hobgoblins is the poor mans Ghoulies.
Old 09-26-17, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Killer Tongue is way way better than Hobgoblins. Hobgoblins is the poor mans Ghoulies.
Hey, I was one of the few people who found some nice things to say about Killer Tongue. I also enjoyed the MST3k episode of Hobgoblins, but I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it without the commentary. I like the idea of everybody ripping on a movie that is so-bad-its-good as a bit of harmless fun. The huge variety is one of the things I love about the different subset picks each year.
Old 09-26-17, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the equivalent of saying Beasties influenced Munchies.

I like the idea of everybody ripping on a movie that is so-bad-its-good as a bit of harmless fun.
Agreed.
Old 09-26-17, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chad
Agreed.
I just hope it's not the movie I picked.
Old 09-27-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope you meant Gremlins.
Old 09-27-17, 01:54 PM

Vote on possible wildcards in themes:

Theme days rock! Having potentially all ~100 of us watching the same sort of theme each day definitely should increase the amount of discussion, the main goal of this thing. The difficulty of finding something in your collection that matches the theme, but mostly in watching something every single day for 31 days straight, is one of the hardest part of the overall Challenge. Second only to hitting 100 for the month I would guess. I understand the desire to keep this optional feature difficult. However, since hitting 100 is harder, and was the original hard goal of Chad's party here, I'm ok with that satisfying the most difficult part of our month. Since themes are optional, and involve an extra prize chance, and encourage discussion, I vote for a little bit of leniency here. I'm perhaps slightly unique among us in that I work with and am friends with a lot of people that work shift work. 24 hour shifts or back to back to back 12 hour shifts can make it difficult or impossible to watch something every day. As a fairly new husband and father I know that family emergencies can also spring up and make it impossible to watch something one day. So I'd vote for at least one wildcard, maybe two; however, I think that anyone using a wildcard should still have to complete a viewing for all 31 themes, they can just double up on a day (or two). The chief reason for my wanting this (and the subset wildcards in my earlier post) is that I think it will increase participation in the subsets and themes, and thus discussion. If someone has a bad or busy day, or emergency, and misses a theme and subset, and that knocks them out of the running for both lists, they could be discouraged and just give up on them the rest of the month. Having a mulligan or two will keep them in the game and increase discussion, but making them still do all 31 themes and still do 31/34 subsets still maintains 99.9% of the difficulty.

Another possibility for theme wildcards is to make someone using them complete the "unofficial themes" of September 30th and November 1st on those actual days. Thus, they are still completing 31 themes like a "true finisher", but they are using the optional days to do at least 31 of the 33 on the actual dates.
Old 09-27-17, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I hope you meant Gremlins.
While I initially typed that, it felt disrespectful to compare Hobgoblins to Gremlins in such a way.
Old 09-27-17, 10:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hello all!

Looking forward to a month of horror.

With the 20th anniversary of Buffy, I was wondering if we could add Joss Whedon projects to the list to expand it slightly:

That would add -
Alien Resurrection (1997)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992) - the movie
The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
Old 09-27-17, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JAX036
Hello all!

Looking forward to a month of horror.

With the 20th anniversary of Buffy, I was wondering if we could add Joss Whedon projects to the list to expand it slightly:

That would add -
Alien Resurrection (1997)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1992) - the movie
The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
They're now on the list.

Can't believe I forgot to include the original movie. Once it failed to make the themes cut I just didn't bother going beyond the main cast.
Old 09-28-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey Chad,

I have a few more broken links from the checklist. Seems the links have changed, and it just defaults to the homepage.

Extraterrestrial
Found Footage
Musical Horror
Giallo

Last edited by WillieMLF; 09-28-17 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-28-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Chad, sent you an email and a PM.
Old 09-28-17, 04:29 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Open it Chad and tell us the exciting news!
Old 09-28-17, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orlmac
Open it Chad and tell us the exciting news!
That is literally the first thing I'll do once I get home this evening. Gotta do it right!
Old 09-28-17, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Hey Chad,

I have a few more broken links from the checklist. Seems the links have changed, and it just defaults to the homepage.

Extraterrestrial
Found Footage
Musical Horror
Giallo
Just updated all the links.
Old 09-30-17, 07:41 AM

Since the Challenge has already started on half the planet, perhaps we need your wildcard rulings?

And don't we want the subset, themes, and checklist in the wikis?
Old 09-30-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since the Challenge has already started on half the planet, perhaps we need your wildcard rulings?
Honestly, it wasn't easy to interpret all the responses. There were two definite "no changes" votes. However, the very same people that voted that way were also in favor of 'watch a previous subset'. Then someone agreed with both, which I took as a vote for each. You're not making this easy, people.

I *think* 'watch a previous subset' one by one vote?

And don't we want the subset, themes, and checklist in the wikis?
Yeah, just wanted to make sure there's no further changes before posting.
Old 09-30-17, 04:38 PM

Imho, when there are less than 30 or so votes, screw the votes and do what you think is best. The vote input being that low shows that most don't care, and it won't be truly representative. Sort of like our national elections....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.