Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
The Last Exorcism Part 2 wasn't great, but still managed to be so much better than I was expecting it to be. Going in with low expectations paid off for me.
Love Ashley Bell. I really do hope she gets a role to launch her career. She is a pretty strong actress.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Decided to turn off the baseball game early to watch some horror. Started with an episode of A Haunting on Destination America
That may have been your worst mistake of the night. What an ending to that game.
Old 10-14-13, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Ah, almost forgot today's beverage:

Some peaks and valleys with todays viewings with the premiere of The Walking Dead and Puppet Master IX.

But my favorite part was remembering this old Fangoria article in the Killer Tongue subset thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-reviews...ay-11-a-2.html
Old 10-14-13, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Has anyone else seen 'Would You Rather' (2012)?

It felt like a less scumbag version of Daisuke Yamanouchi's 1999 film, 'Red Room'. I thought it was effective in what it was trying to achieve and Jeffrey Combs was great in it.

I'm only 8 films away from my goal. I hope to finish this week, as my coursework gets crazy again the weeks after.
Old 10-14-13, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

...6 Shes and a He is awfully odd. Overall, nothing really happens. Except mildly sensual non-scenes and then a lot of fake blood popping up out of nowhere..! What a weird film. Twenty minutes of bathing, dancing, dancing-bathing... and then suddenly a horrendously graphic disembowlment and beheading! Weird...
Old 10-14-13, 02:04 AM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Dolls (1987) really surprised me; I was set for a questionable early Stuart Gordon / Full Moon dud but it was really atmospheric and well paces with some gruesome tidbits.
I'm sure that when I checked this morning, this was streaming free with Amazon Prime. Searched for it this evening, and it no longer is.
Old 10-14-13, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Has anyone else seen 'Would You Rather' (2012)?

It felt like a less scumbag version of Daisuke Yamanouchi's 1999 film, 'Red Room'. I thought it was effective in what it was trying to achieve and Jeffrey Combs was great in it.
I watched it a couple of months back. I liked it quite a bit.
Old 10-14-13, 06:52 AM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
I'm sure that when I checked this morning, this [Dolls, 1987] was streaming free with Amazon Prime. Searched for it this evening, and it no longer is.
Dolls (1987) is avaliable streaming on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v0TMGFRpgQ
Old 10-14-13, 07:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Dolls (1987) is avaliable streaming on YouTube.
Thanks for this. I'm another that planned on watching it yesterday on Amazon and had to skip it. It's going back in the queue now.
Old 10-14-13, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Finally finished the Leprechaun movies up thru part 4, holy crap they are bad, yet entertaining at the same time. The only good thing about them is Warwick Davis, he is definately having fun with the role. I"ll have to get the other two films when I have the chance. I have the Human Centipede in my watch pile, I have put it off watching it for years, but will finally get to it this week.
Old 10-14-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Over the weekend, I went out with friends and didn't end up watching any horror films, just Bridesmaids (a favorite of a friend that we used to pick up her spirits). Last night, I watched more of The Simpsons "Treehouse of Horror" episodes which never fail to bring a smile to my step.

I'm way behind where I planned to be. While I've never hit 100 films, I usually fall into the 55-70 range in October. Unless things change, I won't even hit that! Thankfully, tonight is movie night with friends, and I know that we are in for some horror films.
Old 10-14-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
Thanks for this. I'm another that planned on watching it yesterday on Amazon and had to skip it. It's going back in the queue now.
It's also free On Demand on the Impact channel and in HD
Old 10-14-13, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
It's also free On Demand on the Impact channel and in HD
I'd have liked to see Dolls (1987) in high definition, the YouTube version I found was modified to fullscreen... hopefully we'll see a blu-ray release of Dolls in the near future. It's definitely worth re-visiting.
Old 10-14-13, 10:50 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Would You Rather was a blind buy for me. I enjoyed it, it was definitely entertaining.

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Finally finished the Leprechaun movies up thru part 4, holy crap they are bad, yet entertaining at the same time. The only good thing about them is Warwick Davis, he is definately having fun with the role. I"ll have to get the other two films when I have the chance.
I'm definitely a fan of the Leprechaun movies. I liked the first one the best, the one that so prominently features Jennifer Aniston's fine be-hind. The campiness factor goes off the chart in this series. Leprechaun In Space left a mark. The only one I didn't like was the last one, Back 2 Tha Hood. I reviewed all of them for the Drive-In challenge.
Old 10-14-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by walletboyniac
I'm definitely a fan of the Leprechaun movies. I liked the first one the best, the one that so prominently features Jennifer Aniston's fine be-hind. The campiness factor goes off the chart in this series. Leprechaun In Space left a mark. The only one I didn't like was the last one, Back 2 Tha Hood. I reviewed all of them for the Drive-In challenge.
C'mon, the Leprechaun smoking a bong then raiding the fridge is one of the highlights of the franchise!
Old 10-14-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yesterday I started off with finishing The Crazies (original), followed by the remake. Really thought the original still holds up after all these years. As for the remake, it wasn't great but not completely awful. My biggest gripe with it is the fact that while it's a remake, it went alone assuming that you've already seen the original and threw out any mysteries from the first one and threw out the solutions right at the beginning. Since you already know what's going on and they didn't feel the need to change the original story, you know how it's going to end, so you lose a lot of the fun. It would have been nice if they took a different take of it so it would leave the viewer with some sort of mystery but that would require a writer with some sort of talent. It just left me the feeling of why even bother making it if you aren't really going to try.

After that, I hit Crystal Lake Memories. Got through both discs and about halfway through the bonus disc so far. While it was a good watch, the series just didn't have as many interesting things going on in the production as I though NOES did. It helped rekindle my dislike of Ronnie Yu. It was also nice to see some of the cast and crew very politely express some dislike of what he did. That leading girl in FvJ sure was annoying as well, to say the least.

As for the remake, I didn't mind it too much but I thought some of the kills were a bit goofy and there was some bad cgi which bothered me more since the series had always been pretty good with practical effects.

One thing that seemed to be a reoccurring theme was "let's try and do something a bit different", almost always followed by poor box office results. Could have possibly saved some of the films if someone chimed in with, "Hey, remember the last few times someone tried to stray from how the series worked? Might not be a great idea to do it again."

Today's Scream Factory sales are Deadly Blessing and Swamp Thing. Already have Deadly Blessing but I've been waiting for Swamp Thing to come down in price. I absolutely loved that movie as a kid.
Old 10-14-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Wow, Curse of Chucky really exceeded my expectations. Nice to see them dump the laugh-a-thon and return to its horror roots. And nice tie-in to the original, although can't quite say they pulled off making Brad Dourif look like he did 25 years ago. I think I counted no less than four(!) different endings (stick around until after the credits), and they were all extremely satisfying.

Tonight's agenda: Basket Case 2 and Ilsa, The Wicked Warden.
This is the one in South America yes? One of my favs. Less gross out gore than the others and more T&A.
Old 10-14-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi

After that, I hit Crystal Lake Memories. Got through both discs and about halfway through the bonus disc so far. While it was a good watch, the series just didn't have as many interesting things going on in the production as I though NOES did. It helped rekindle my dislike of Ronnie Yu. It was also nice to see some of the cast and crew very politely express some dislike of what he did. That leading girl in FvJ sure was annoying as well, to say the least.
The CLM book is far superior to the doc. film in regards to going in depth with behind the scenes stuff and cool stories. The film just sort of brushes over the top of each film with various people and that's it.
Old 10-14-13, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since some of you have been discussing the It's Alive films, I've been contemplating watching the remake for a while (what can I say, I got it cheap). Is it as bad as I'm afraid of?

Also, whoever recommended Absentia (I think it was last year originally), THANK YOU. I finally got around to viewing it yesterday and it was every bit as good as I'd hoped. The DVD cover is the WORST, though.
Old 10-14-13, 12:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
What was the plot hole in It's Alive II? I haven't seen the film in years and remember being really disappointed with it when I first saw it. I agree that part III was a lot of fun and extremely entertaining.

Someday, I'll have to revisit the series, and maybe see if I can find anything to like in part II, especially those line deliveries you mentioned.
I was wrong, I had to rewatch it.. it doesn't help when one of the ancillary characters looks A LOT like the main character (the father), is killed off, and then the father is then also attacked in a completely different setting ...

so nevermind... I'm just going cuckoo.
Old 10-14-13, 12:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a question about how to count something on my list. I am watching the Ban the Sadist Videos documentaries that came with my House on Straw Hill blu-ray. On the disc itself, it is presented as two separate parts, each of which has a separate entry on IMDB which show that they were released a year apart. Should I count this as one entry or two separate entries?
Old 10-14-13, 01:23 PM

So far here are my favorite viewings this month: The New Daughter, Dolls, Thunder Cops, Eyes of Fire, Spider Baby, V/H/S/2, Happy Birthday to Me, Mama.
Old 10-14-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by malazar
I have a question about how to count something on my list. I am watching the Ban the Sadist Videos documentaries that came with my House on Straw Hill blu-ray. On the disc itself, it is presented as two separate parts, each of which has a separate entry on IMDB which show that they were released a year apart. Should I count this as one entry or two separate entries?
I'd count them as two since they're two different docs, Part 1 and Part 2. That's just how I'd do it.
Old 10-14-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I made some good progress over the weekend and have now watched 53 of the 74 Universal Horror films made before 1960 - 21 left to go! It's been *lots* of fun so far but I'm ready to get to my unwatched pile - it keeps growing somehow...

So far the "Inner Sanctum" films have been the weakest, but I already knew that so it was no surprise. They are not "bad" but just rather basic "B" programmers.

I started yesterday with The Climax (1944). The *2nd* Musical/Horror film in 2 days! Overall it feels like a slightly reworked Phantom of the Opera but at least has Boris Karlof as the villain and is, IMHO, a slightly better film. Without doing some research I'd swear the Soprano on both overdubs was the same woman.

I also watched House of Frankenstein (1944), which was better than I'd recalled and The Mummy's Curse (1944) which felt like DEJA 'VU after watching The Mummy's Ghost (1944) on Saturday. There's really not too much difference in the 2 films. The day ended with House of Dracula (1945), a quick little programmer with Frankenstein, The Wolf Man, *and* Dracula. It, too, was better than I'd recalled but it could be it just seemed that way after a day of mostly "average" films.

I'm shooting for 3 films tonight: Pillow of Death (1945), House of Horrors (1946) (a first-time viewing), and She-Wolf of London (1946) to wrap up the "Inner Sanctum" and "Wolf Man" series. It should be fairly easy as each is barely over an hour.
Old 10-14-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The Climax....Phantom of the Opera... Without doing some research I'd swear the Soprano on both overdubs was the same woman.
Well... it's *not* overdubs but Susanna Foster who sang those arias herself in both films so of course it sounds like the same voice! It turns out that The Climax was originally to be a sequel to Phantom but was cancelled due to story troubles and problems concerning the availability of Claude Rains. It resurfaced, but not as a continuation of the previous film, and featured completely new characters. It was also filmed on the same sets as Phantom... (1943) which used the sets from Phantom... (1925). Sound stage 28 on the Universal Studios lot still contains portions of the opera house set. It is the oldest surviving structure built specifically for a movie in the world.
Old 10-14-13, 02:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I'd count them as two since they're two different docs, Part 1 and Part 2. That's just how I'd do it.
Thank you, that is the way I was leaning. At least now my numbers will be consistent with my Letterboxd list I am making for what I have been watching during the challenge.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.