Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Blog entry for the last 3 days - http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...ays-11-13.html
Old 10-14-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Chad
Wow, Curse of Chucky really exceeded my expectations. Nice to see them dump the laugh-a-thon and return to its horror roots. And nice tie-in to the original, although can't quite say they pulled off making Brad Dourif look like he did 25 years ago. I think I counted no less than four(!) different endings (stick around until after the credits), and they were all extremely satisfying.
I absolutely loved Curse of Chucky. My son and I watched all six movies back-to-back, and it was the most satisfying movie watching day I've had in a real long time. Out of all of the franchise collections out there, Chucky seems to be the most consistent. Sure it got a little hokey in the middle, but I think with Don Mancini being on board for every film helped keep it in check.

Also, for Curse of Chucky...

Spoiler:
Why did Chucky do the voodoo chant with the girl near the end? He's been in that same body for years, there's no way it would have worked. And on top of that he didn't have the amulet that would allow for possession with someone he didn't come alive to. The whole film was so good, just that one bit is buggin' me.
Old 10-14-13, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Watching Best Worst Movie, hoping for someone to talk about Laura Gemser but nothing. There was one behind the scenes photo where you can see her chin and arm. How did nobody mention the ridiculously hot costume designer?!?!?!?!
Old 10-14-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
...Also, for Curse of Chucky...

Spoiler:
Why did Chucky do the voodoo chant with the girl near the end? He's been in that same body for years, there's no way it would have worked. And on top of that he didn't have the amulet that would allow for possession with someone he didn't come alive to. The whole film was so good, just that one bit is buggin' me.
I also had fun watching all 6 Child's Play films in one day... there's some (dis)contunity between Seed of Chucky and Curse of Chucky that might explain this [spoilers for both].
Spoiler:
In Seed of Chucky, Chucky and Tiffanie acquire new bodies possessing animatronics from a Chucky movie. I don't think Chucky reveals himself to any survivors in that new SoC body other than Glen/Glenda so if we follow that continuity technically the CoC girl is his first living reveal in the new body. In the end of Seed of Churky his body is asunder (they show only his arm in final segment) so it might be a stretch but an argument could be made that he acquired a new body between films.

Regarding jewlery in Curse of Chucky:
Spoiler:
I think the amulet was added in Bride of Chucky but in Child's Play 3 he attempts to body switch without it (and do not recall an amulet being show in Child's Play 1, might have missed it), so the amulet lore seems questionable to me.
Old 10-14-13, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

(Getting back to Crystal Lake Memories for a bit) I watched it on saturday night. Long as hell, but still a lot shorter than most of the rest of y'all's viewings due to not geting the bonus disc.

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
After that, I hit Crystal Lake Memories. Got through both discs and about halfway through the bonus disc so far. While it was a good watch, the series just didn't have as many interesting things going on in the production as I though NOES did. It helped rekindle my dislike of Ronnie Yu. It was also nice to see some of the cast and crew very politely express some dislike of what he did. That leading girl in FvJ sure was annoying as well, to say the least.
Most definetly.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
The CLM book is far superior to the doc. film in regards to going in depth with behind the scenes stuff and cool stories. The film just sort of brushes over the top of each film with various people and that's it.
I haven't read the book, but is Steve Miner interviewed in it? I just always assumed (Since he's never around) that he wanted to distance himself from the series. But all the statements and photos (Seen in the doc) indicates that he had the time of his life making those films. Miner made 2 of my most *favorites of the franchise and it's always a drag to never hear what he has to say about them.

*Well, Part 3 is really more of a sentimental favorite since it was the first F13th I ever saw.
Old 10-14-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I haven't read the book, but is Steve Miner interviewed in it? I just always assumed (Since he's never around) that he wanted to distance himself from the series. But all the statements and photos (Seen in the doc) indicates that he had the time of his life making those films. Miner made 2 of my most *favorites of the franchise and it's always a drag to never hear what he has to say about them.

*Well, Part 3 is really more of a sentimental favorite since it was the first F13th I ever saw.
He's definitely in it but I couldn't honestly tell you how much. I don't recall.
Old 10-14-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI - Last night's subset pick can count for at least 10 checklist items. I've listed them in the thread, Trilogy of Terror. Some of course can apply to any watches.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I also had fun watching all 6 Child's Play films in one day... there's some (dis)contunity between Seed of Chucky and Curse of Chucky that might explain this [spoilers for both].
Spoiler:
In Seed of Chucky, Chucky and Tiffanie acquire new bodies possessing animatronics from a Chucky movie. I don't think Chucky reveals himself to any survivors in that new SoC body other than Glen/Glenda so if we follow that continuity technically the CoC girl is his first living reveal in the new body. In the end of Seed of Churky his body is asunder (they show only his arm in final segment) so it might be a stretch but an argument could be made that he acquired a new body between films.
Regarding this fact:
Spoiler:
It was established and I believe carried on through at least the first three that Chucky only has a limited amount of time to do the chant before he is a doll forever. And he accepted being a doll at the end of Seed.

Regarding jewlery in Curse of Chucky:
Spoiler:
I think the amulet was added in Bride of Chucky but in Child's Play 3 he attempts to body switch without it (and do not recall an amulet being show in Child's Play 1, might have missed it), so the amulet lore seems questionable to me.
The jewelry:
Spoiler:
I understood that the amulet was introduced as a plot "cheat" so that Chucky could use it to do the soul-swap with anyone, doesn't matter if he's a doll or not. So after being animatronics wouldn't matter because he was a doll forever, and the amulet that could be a "loophole" wasn't shown in Curse so you see why I have the question. I know it's just a franchise movie, but they did so well keeping continuity through all six films that this one piece is killing me!
Old 10-14-13, 03:42 PM

Bleh, I just watched Sick Boy as it turned up on some killer/evil child list and it sounded like it could be interesting but it was a piece of poo. And it also isn't really a killer/evil child film. The acting was so bad and the characters were just stupid and annoying. Nothing happened until the last 20 minutes and aside from the end-concept possibly being a cool little twist, it not only made no sense but the build-up was so crappy I didn't even care.
Old 10-14-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Since other documentaries are being counted, should Talking Dead count because they go into how the show is made and show zombies and how the scares are created?
Old 10-14-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Since other documentaries are being counted, should Talking Dead count because they go into how the show is made and show zombies and how the scares are created?
I thought about counting this last night but though it is basically a talk show and would really need a wild card to count imo.
Old 10-14-13, 04:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I just wanted to say I love you all and wish October happened every other month. Carry on.
Old 10-14-13, 04:49 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I watched Evil Ed (1995) which in of itself is an interesting concept - horror movies seem to infect/posses a film editor into madness & murder. The kinetic editing/camera movements evokes Sam Raimi (Evil Dead I and II) and Peter Jackson's 'Dead Alive' - which add to the film, but the english-language ADR dubbing sticks out like a sore thumb - supposedly the actor's are speaking Swedish - but it looks like English to me... whatever. Some of the campy humor seems a tad overkill in a nudge-nudge candor in it's various homages to various other genre films in dialogue and character naming (there's a Dr. West) . The gore is pretty extreme and I gather it's an unrated cut because the demise of the titular character is fantastically splattery and a fist pump moment for gorehounds. [Today's the last day for you to check it out via Netflix streaming.]
Old 10-14-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Regarding this fact [Curse/Seed of Chucky spoilers]:
Spoiler:
It was established and I believe carried on through at least the first three that Chucky only has a limited amount of time to do the chant before he is a doll forever. And he accepted being a doll at the end of Seed.
Spoiler:
Chucky does accept being a doll in Seed but when he tells the Curse of Chucky child she's someone no one will suspect I took that as him chasing the thrill of killing rather than notority/ego present in Seed (no one in Curse of Chucky even seems familiar with him, so if he was so famous in Seed you'd think everyone would freak out about the doll... there's another possible loophole). The timeframe Chucky has till he becomes human is ill defined but at least in Child's Play 1 it seems like less than a week. However, so much happens off screen ending Seed of Chucky and beginning Curse of Chucky there's room to retcon some explanation... I'm glad they didn't try to. I really appreciated how Curse of Chucky returned to the horror roots without dismissing events from weaker sequels like Bride or Seed. It's almost worth Seed of Chucky for the set-up of Jennifer Tilly mailing doll Chucky off to commit "hits."
The jewelry:
Spoiler:
I understood that the amulet was introduced as a plot "cheat" so that Chucky could use it to do the soul-swap with anyone, doesn't matter if he's a doll or not. So after being animatronics wouldn't matter because he was a doll forever, and the amulet that could be a "loophole" wasn't shown in Curse so you see why I have the question. I know it's just a franchise movie, but they did so well keeping continuity through all six films that this one piece is killing me!
The more I think about it I agree that continuity really breaks down in subtle ways through the Child's Play movies, which is a shame because franchises that build on continuity are a lot of fun for that reason (especially Phantasms, and Friday the 13ths). I think the Chucky doll is a cool villain but his origin story and "rules" seem relative weak even by horror smuck standards, especially the jewlery.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-14-13 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Caught my last two unseen Henenlotter films - Basket Case 2 and 3. The "freaks" reminded me of something out of an early Peter Jackson film. I'll always take the original with the sleazy grindhouse feel, but these were both fun as all hell.

And I know I'm not the only one that made this connection with 3:

Spoiler:

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
This is the one in South America yes? One of my favs. Less gross out gore than the others and more T&A.
Yes. Didn't even realize it was a Franco film until starting it and, well, I knew the direction it was going from there. Having not yet seen Tigress of Siberia, I'd say Oil Sheiks is my favorite.

Originally Posted by Russell S
Also, whoever recommended Absentia (I think it was last year originally), THANK YOU. I finally got around to viewing it yesterday and it was every bit as good as I'd hoped. The DVD cover is the WORST, though.
I posted this last year, but it's a stock photo that's been making the rounds:

Spoiler:

Old 10-14-13, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you guys are interested in the Night Train To Terror blu-ray that comes out tomorrow here's my review of the disc http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...ay-review.html
Old 10-14-13, 05:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Caught my last two unseen Henenlotter films - Basket Case 2 and 3. The "freaks" reminded me of something out of an early Peter Jackson film. I'll always take the original with the sleazy grindhouse feel, but these were both fun as all hell.
have you seen his 2008 film 'Bad Biology' - Frank is truly a demented guy (that's a positive by the way). Recommended!
Old 10-14-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spoiler:

That reminds me of being at Blockbuster one day and grabbing this or something similar. I say similar because as I was looking at other new releases, I found the same similar stock image on two other movies and then put the one I had back. I think the one I had wasn't dressed like a nun and had a greenish swap at the bottom instead of blue water.
Old 10-14-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just starting the original Wolf Man (first time viewing).

You can watch it free here: http://viooz.co/movies/9673-the-wolf-man-1941.html
Old 10-14-13, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The more I think about it I agree that continuity really breaks down in subtle ways through the Child's Play movies, which is a shame because franchises that build on continuity are a lot of fun for that reason (especially Phantasms, and Friday the 13ths). I think the Chucky doll is a cool villain but his origin story and "rules" seem relative weak even by horror smuck standards, especially the jewlery.
Origins aside, Chucky films are good at keeping a general consistency. Also the continuity between the end of one and the beginning of the next is nearly perfect. The end of 2 in the factory and the beginning of 3 in the same factory with all the cobwebs and such comes to mind. Impractical but fun to watch.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I just wanted to say I love you all and wish October happened every other month. Carry on.
Much love to you too, buddy; but I really only have enough for one month out of the year, so let's make the most of it and I promise not to stray to any other forums for at least 31 days.

I don't remember that from last year. Thanks for reposting, that's classic.

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Just starting the original Wolf Man (first time viewing).
The original Wolf Man is such a perv.
Old 10-14-13, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
If you guys are interested in the Night Train To Terror blu-ray that comes out tomorrow here's my review of the disc http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...ay-review.html
I don't even remember that first story having any any nudity. I guess I was already too mortified by the opening song/performance to catch anything else.

Having not yet seen Tigress of Siberia, I'd say Oil Sheiks is my favorite.
Mah man! ^5

Originally Posted by Trevor
Ditto!
Old 10-14-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

I'm debating a blind buy of Deadly Blessing. Any opinions from you horror fans?
Old 10-14-13, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I don't even remember that first story having any any nudity. I guess I was already too mortified by the opening song/performance to catch anything else.
They show quite a bit of the girl laying drugged and naked on an operating table.
Old 10-14-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Watched Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker last night. Nice little mindfuck of a movie, though it wasn't strong with the Hellraiser element. Pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-14-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tonight; a new episode of Sleepy Hollow, convincing of the wife she is not too tired to watch a movie and introducing her to Tremors and

Than it is straight to bed and up and to work at 5am
Old 10-14-13, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

And the winner of the banner trivia question is...

MrTerrific

Congratulations! You're now the owner of prize pack #1:

Courtesy of...

Here's all the films used for anyone interested:

Spoiler:
The Floating Cabin - The Cabin in the Woods
Woman hanging by a hook - Entrails of a Virgin
Fat man shooting green laser - Slimed
The house - Fright Night
Woman in upper right window - Deadly Friend
Jack-O-Lantern on porch - Halloween
Girl holding hands with ghost girl - The Supernatural Events on Campus
The deck - A Woman's Torment
The shark - The Jaws of Death
Woman on deck with paddle behind back - Sorority Babes in the Slimeball Bowl-O-Rama
The chair - The Tingler
Woman sitting in chair - The Terror of the Tongs
Blood stain on deck - Zombies Zombies Zombies
Short dude on cooler with gun - Black Devil Doll
Container on cooler - The Stuff
Viper liquor bottle - Street Trash
Man with pointy sphere - Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
Skeleton w/ red eyes and hood - The Redeemer: Son of Satan!
Giant cyclops - The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
Giant dinosaur sea creature carrying female scuba diver - The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues
Woman in red dress with arms up - The Vampire Lovers
Woman in green dress running and screaming in terror - The Maze
Woman in bikini being sucked into mysterious underwater vortex - Blood Beach
Man screaming in terror under deck with arm bitten off - Killer Crocodile
Bikini woman on broken surfboard - Surf Nazis Must Die
Three blades in blood - A Nightmare on Elm Street
Bat flying over moon - From Beyond the Grave
Winged creature sitting in chair - Alien Transformations
Flying piranha - Piranha II: The Spawning
Woman in nightgown w/ knees in blood - Alone in the Dark
Blood underneath nightgown woman - Zombies Zombies Zombies

In/on the giant can:

The eyeball - The Visitor
Green 3-fingered hand - Amityville 3-D
Five fingered hand with long fingernails - Severed Ties (aka "The Thing", from the German poster)
Large skull - The Legend of Hell House
Smaller green skull - Black Magic
Pumpkin face - Trick 'r Treat
Conrad Veidt face - The Man Who Laughs
Jack-O-Lantern in can - Halloween
Book - Deadtime Stories
Sushi - Dead Sushi
Extraterrestrial looking being w/ tongue sticking out - Bewitched
Lips on OHMC9 Jack-O-Lantern logo - Kiss of the Tarantula (reused from last year's banner and logo)
Eyes on OHMC9 Jack-O-Lantern logo Bewitched
The can itself - Return of the Killer Tomatoes

Man in scrubs carrying grocery bag - 28 Days Later
The 11 cloaked people worshiping can - Race with the Devil
Woman on pool float - Great White
Woman being sucked into mysterious underwater vortex while being shredded - Blood Beach
Floating futuristic clear coffins - Star Crystal
Zombie on bridge - Day of the Dead
Unusually large woman that's out of proportion standing by bridge - The Mad Magician
Nazi surfer with machine gun - Surf Nazis Must Die
Green creature carrying woman in yellow dress - The Creature from the Black Lagoon
Giant flying horned insect - Mothra
Woman being impaled by horned insect - Student Bodies
Woman in red dress falling from bridge - Giant from the Unknown
Creature on bridge about to throw man off - The Creature Walks Among Us
Woman hanging from bridge - The Thing That Couldn't Die
The noose - The Man They Could Not Hang
Zombie on yacht - The Walking Dead (Okay, not a film)
The yacht - The Uninvited
Gorilla carrying woman in green dress - Schlock
Two drowning hands - Great White
Woman coming out of vortex with extremely long neck - 100 Monsters
Praying mantis on back of long-necked woman - The Deadly Mantis
Woman with chainsaw - [REC]³ Genesis
Reddish brown creature carrying woman in blue dress - Invaders from Mars

The frozen pond, cooler, city skyline and bridge (Haidian Gaoliang Bridge, Beijing) are real life pictures and not taken from a film.

The moon, lightning bolt and sky are reused from last year's banner.

Spoiler:

Changing this one from naming as many as you can to 7 really increased the entries.

Last edited by Chad; 10-14-13 at 10:50 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.