Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"Killer Tongue" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 11

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"Killer Tongue" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 11

Old 10-12-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: "Killer Tongue" Reviews/Discussion - 2013 Horror Challenge: Day 11

I love Frankenhooker and Poultrygeist, but I really didn't like this one. And it had nothing to do with my first attempts at watching it infecting my computer with malware. I think everyone else has already said what I thought. It felt like the film was trying too hard or something. It just didn't work for me, and any slight enjoyment I was having seemed to go out the window once the tongue started talking.

With Eyes of Fire and Shakma before this, I haven't been much of a fan of the subset films of the last three days. At least Shakma was unintentionally amusing, something this movie could have taken a cue from.
Old 10-13-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

I remember first reading about this film in Fangoria, in the tiny little very descriptive article they had. Finally ran across it on VHS and had no clue what was going on and it completely lost my interest. Things just happened. Years later I tried giving it another chance and I was able to follow it better but it still wasn't something I liked and ever want to watch again.
Old 10-13-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
As much as I do appreciate oddball humor, camp, and fantastic cinema I failed to understand Killer Tongue.
Oh, good. It wasn't just me.

Of course, I still think I missed something plotwise, because it was only when one tried to kill the other that I realised the (ex-?)nun and the lady-with-the-tongue weren't the same person. I was sure that the lady who joined the order after her boyfriend went to jail became Tongue-lady, so how did the presumably-other nun get involved..? And who - or what, or why - were the crossdressing hangers-on...? Was that explained and I missed it, or was it just another zany odd part and/or reference to something I don't know about..?

EDIT: Having now read the thread, it certainly wasn't that bad...! But for a better Robert Englund-cameoing oddity, can I suggest Zombie Strippers, which I saw last year, and seem to remember was also decidedly odd, but slightly "better".

Last edited by ntnon; 10-13-13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-13-13, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can at least answer about the cross-dressing hangers-on. Those were the pet poodles of the lady with the killer tongue. They were inexplicably turned human because of the meteor.
Old 10-13-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think the nun woman started out as a mute nun associate of Melinda who tried to convince her to remain a nun and wished her luck waving bye at the gas station but once the meteorite hit she "mutated" into a sexy talking character pulled into the antic by the mystery of her sudden ability to speak and nun friendship with the now changed Melinda... but looking for logic in Killer Tongue might be an exercise in frustration.
Old 10-13-13, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi View Post
I remember first reading about this film in Fangoria, in the tiny little very descriptive article they had. Finally ran across it on VHS and had no clue what was going on and it completely lost my interest. Things just happened. Years later I tried giving it another chance and I was able to follow it better but it still wasn't something I liked and ever want to watch again.
Thats how I knew about it!!!!!!!

It was in one of the first Fangorias I ever bought!
Old 10-13-13, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ah, took me a little while to find it (my first issue was 147, this was in 155)

Last edited by SterlingBen; 10-13-13 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-13-13, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Usually these bizarro flicks are right up my alley, but this baby was all over the place; almost expected John Waters to make a cameo! For one thing I couldn't get past the fact that Candy is eerily similar to Melinda Clarke's ROTLD III character (sexy outfit, long nails, etc.), at least to me. I will say the animatronic tongue effects were impressive and Robert Englund's over-the-top performance were highlights. And Doug Bradley was unrecognizable with the wig on:

Spoiler:

This is probably one that needs another viewing to take everything in. Someday. Maybe.
Old 10-13-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

VeeHD link removed, BTW. Yeah, I won't be including links from them in the future.
Old 10-14-13, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
I can at least answer about the cross-dressing hangers-on. Those were the pet poodles of the lady with the killer tongue. They were inexplicably turned human because of the meteor.
Oh... of course..!

Thanks.
Old 10-14-13, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
I think the nun woman started out as a mute nun associate of Melinda who tried to convince her to remain a nun and wished her luck waving bye at the gas station but once the meteorite hit she "mutated" into a sexy talking character pulled into the antic by the mystery of her sudden ability to speak and nun friendship with the now changed Melinda... but looking for logic in Killer Tongue might be an exercise in frustration.
A-ha..!

All this new understanding is revising-improving my memory of the film..!
Old 10-14-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Ah, took me a little while to find it (my first issue was 147, this was in 155)
That brought back some memories.