Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New "Friday the 13th" Box Set in the Works?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New "Friday the 13th" Box Set in the Works?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: My Friend, Ari Lehman

Originally Posted by DRG
I think the only way a photo op with Ari would be cool would be if he shaved his head and you took the pic in the hotel pool, canoe and all.
He reminds me of someone, but I can't put my finger on who. Dude is weird looking
Old 02-06-09, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: New "Friday the 13th" Box Set in the Works?

Originally Posted by HalloweeNightJW
Hi, everyone. Maybe someone out there can clear up a couple of questions I have about the new releases this week.

1.) FRIDAY THE 13TH - I have the Region 2 U.K. import from a couple of years back that is also uncut. I can't seem to find any comparison reviews out there comparing the uncut R2 disc with the new R1 uncut disc. Is the picture quality the same? Is the new R1 disc even better looking? Does anyone on here have both and could maybe compare?

2.) FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2 - I've heard reflicting reports from various reviews around the net. Is this a new transfer or not?

Thanks in advance!
Although the uncut R2 disc is not included, HorrorDVDs.com has an excellent comparison of all of the R1 discs that were released for Parts 1 and 2 including the new Blu-Ray. I would post the actual URLs but I have not quite made it to 30 posts yet. It appears that these are indeed new transfers, but for some strange reason the transfer on the new DVD and Blu-Ray for Part 1 has been cropped on all sides by about 11% when compared to previous releases. And as far as the new DVD for Part 2, there is actually a tad bit more on all sides.
Old 02-06-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by salad_days
Although the uncut R2 disc is not included, HorrorDVDs.com has an excellent comparison of all of the R1 discs that were released for Parts 1 and 2 including the new Blu-Ray. I would post the actual URLs but I have not quite made it to 30 posts yet. It appears that these are indeed new transfers, but for some strange reason the transfer on the new DVD and Blu-Ray for Part 1 has been cropped on all sides by about 11% when compared to previous releases. And as far as the new DVD for Part 2, there is actually a tad bit more on all sides.
I don't know why it was cropped to begin with, but it has been noted that the 11% loss is identical to Warner's long-standing Uncut foreign DVD. It seems clear that Paramount got the master from them. It's a noticeable difference, but if that's what it took to get the film uncut, then so be it.
Old 02-06-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched His Name Was Jason. Pretty good, but not nearly as good as Halloween: 25 Years of Terror. I prefer H25YoT's narrated, film-by-film breakdown as opposed to HNWJ's "hosted", all-over-the-map approach.
Agreed. What I also liked more about H25 was it was made by the fans so if a film sucked, they pretty much told you it sucked instead of what they do in HNWJ and other than a four minute little snippet don't ever mention that not all of them were classics.

Oh, and H25 had Heather Bowen's tits.
Old 02-06-09, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
He reminds me of someone, but I can't put my finger on who.
Ted Nugent?
Old 02-06-09, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Agreed. What I also liked more about H25 was it was made by the fans so if a film sucked, they pretty much told you it sucked instead of what they do in HNWJ and other than a four minute little snippet don't ever mention that not all of them were classics.

Oh, and H25 had Heather Bowen's tits.
Well, there WAS surprise nudity in HNWJ...
Old 02-06-09, 07:06 PM

If the review at horrordvds is any indication, the part 2 transfer is (and looks from their comparison shots) a decent improvement. They seem to believe the part 1 DVD is intentionally zoomed in.
Old 02-06-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He reminds me of someone, but I can't put my finger on who. Dude is weird looking
I always thought he kind of looks like Serj Tankian from System Of A Down (back when he had the long hair):

Last edited by WMAangel; 02-06-09 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-07-09, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by man*machine
Ted Nugent?
i do see a slight resemblance.

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I always thought he kind of looks like Serj Tankian from System Of A Down (back when he had the long hair):

oh wow, yes! I'm not sure if that is who I was trying to think of, but they look really similar.
Old 02-07-09, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

He looks like that "heavy metal guy" you keep bumping into at bars and grocery stores and malls. They're always short and skinny, dresses in black, and you think he sort of looks like somebody but you can never quite place him...

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-07-09 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-07-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really hope the extras on the UK BD of part 2 and 3 will play on NTSC TV's, because the new transfer for part 2 looks fantastic on SD. I can't imagine how good the BD must look.
Old 02-07-09, 11:58 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

My UK Copies of Friday the 13th Part II and III shipped

I should have them in about a week!
Old 02-07-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
He looks like that "heavy metal guy" you keep bumping into at bars and grocery stores and malls. They're always short and skinny, dresses in black, and you think he sort of looks like somebody but you can never quite place him...
I think this is the best answer. Too true.
Old 02-07-09, 12:49 PM
Suspended

Asked on another forum by KillerCannibas
I realize you have the LG200, and thus have the capability to play whatever you want, but will you be able to determine if the bonus features will play on any other Region A BD player? Do you have a Region A-only player that you can use to verify this? I'm interested in importing these discs, but only if I can watch the bonus features as well.
I have an S550 (and access to a PS3 as well if need be).

Keep in mind, the LG 200 is in Region A Status. It can only be DVD/BD Region Free (and PAL) if I type some codes into the remote. Without those codes its just a standard player (So it would either be all Region A, all Region B, all Region C etc). But no worries, I plan on checking Part II and III and both players as I handle the "Disc Issues" thread for the LG 200 over on AVS.
Old 02-07-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gizmo,

Thanks. In case you didn't know that was me asking on the HiDef forums. (And it's Cannabis, not Cannibas... haha.) I look forward to hearing your thoughts once your discs arrive.
Old 02-07-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

So will the UK imports play on the PS3? I have yet to import any Blus by I'm interested to know. Please excuse my ignorance on this subject.
Old 02-07-09, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I got my HNIJ at Target and it came with $5 movie cash.

Maybe the $10 is a Walmart thing.

Is there a number at Anchor Bay where we can call for clarification?

Signed,
Ari er... Darth Maher
I think you're right, Darth. I found 2 copies at Best Buy today and they both had $5 movie cash too. Has anyone gotten the $10 movie cash anywhere other than Walmart?

By the way, not knowing who Ari is...looking at the picture I thought you had to have played Jason. I was thinking "what a nice guy to let that kid hold the machete."

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-07-09 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-07-09, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Went to Best Buy and picked up my Tax Cut software for $44.99. It comes with a free movie up to $19.99, so I picked up His Name was Jason, which was $14.99. Can't beat getting it for free with something I already need.

I went to Walmart afterwards and saw they were selling HNWJ for $9.96 and the 3 Friday the 13th movies for $13 a piece. They had 1 copy of part 1 left, but the box was all dinged up, so I passed on it. I may try going to Walmart again later when they get more in.
Old 02-07-09, 10:18 PM

I got my HNWJ DVDs in the mail this morning!!!

DVD:

insert poster:

Old 02-07-09, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lucky bastard, They sold out before I even know they were doing this....
I called Kane to see if he could get me one while he was there signing, hopfully he comes through....
Old 02-08-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much for the signed version?

Edit: Just found out. $20 is a steal.

Last edited by LosingMyMind; 02-08-09 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-08-09, 01:26 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Gizmo,

Thanks. In case you didn't know that was me asking on the HiDef forums. (And it's Cannabis, not Cannibas... haha.) I look forward to hearing your thoughts once your discs arrive.
Yes I know. Small joke since I know what your previous screen name was
Old 02-09-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm a little over half way through HNWJ and other than two gripes, it's pretty decent.

My gripes:

1. The hockey mask that accompanies the lower third CG for the cast/crew names names is reversed with the axe mark on the left when it should be on the right. Just a pet peeve of mine. I have the same complaint when I see a photo of Freddy with a glove on his left hand (like the FvJ teaser poster).

2. No actual footage of any of the New Line Jason movies, just stills and behind the scenes/test footage. Did New Line not give Anchor Bay the rights to use footage for those 3 movies? And I thought Paramount was disrespectful to the fans...

Last edited by Darth Maher; 02-09-09 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-09-09, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
I'm a little over half way through HNWJ and other than two gripes, it's pretty decent.

My gripes:

1. The hockey mask that accompanies the lower third CG for the cast/crew names names is reversed with the axe mark on the left when it should be on the right. Just a pet peeve of mine. I have the same complaint when I see a photo of Freddy with a glove on his left hand (like the FvJ teaser poster).

2. No actual footage of any of the New Line Jason movies, just stills and behind the scenes/test footage. Did New Line not give Anchor Bay the rights to use footage for those 3 movies? And I thought Paramount was disrespectful to the fans...
my gripes were the lack of Steve Miner and Kevin Bacon
Old 02-09-09, 05:53 PM

my gripes were the lack of Steve Miner and Kevin Bacon
don't forget Crispin Glover and Horshack

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.