DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

There Will Be Blood April 8th?

Old 03-20-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Very nice. I may have to get that 2-disc to tide me over till the blu-ray is released.
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
Same here. I'm a sucker for nice packaging and this certainly falls into that category.
Me three. But hopefully the blu-ray comes sooner than later.
Old 03-20-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Me three. But hopefully the blu-ray comes sooner than later.
Agreed.

I'd rather get the Blu-Ray version but I definitely don't wait to wait any longer to own this film.
Old 03-20-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oohhh, that's some sexy packaging right there. Glad they're using the "bible poster" as a slipcover. I'm all over this one.
Old 03-20-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is that a slipcover?

Looks like a digipack to me.
Old 03-20-08, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Is that a slipcover?

Looks like a digipack to me.
Based on what I saw at dvdactive, it looks like both. A digipack housed in a slipcover/case that it slides in to. Either way, awesome packaging.
Old 03-20-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dman988
I really wish I didn't have to buy standard dvds of films I love anymore, but I guess I'll have to make exceptions and re-buy in the future (even though I hate doing that).
I've been eagerly waiting to see this movie for months, and it would've been an absolute purchase for me if not for Paramount's boneheaded cancellation of the day-and-date high-def version. Now it's just a rental. Their loss.
Old 03-20-08, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by manicsounds

This has PTA's fingerprints all over it...I'm sure he designed and supervised the packaging.......he did that with Boogie Nights, Magnolia and Punch-Drunk Love as well...
Old 03-20-08, 09:21 PM

It is a digipak, without any plastic at all. The discs slide into slits in the three-tiered triptych. That's what the bottom picture is, and the teaser Bible poster is the front of it.

The discs aren't grey, either.
Old 03-20-08, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by souvenir
It is a digipak, without any plastic at all. The discs slide into slits in the three-tiered triptych. That's what the bottom picture is, and the teaser Bible poster is the front of it.

The discs aren't grey, either.
Source? Have you seen the discs? And your Bible poster doesn't make sense...there's also the cover with DDL and it says "Collectors Edition" and has a spine, which means that explanation doesn't make sense.
Old 03-21-08, 12:43 AM

The Collector's Edition cover is the main cover, but the Bible poster is the front of the inner digipak, the three-tiered triptych I was referring to. There's also three paragraphs of Upton Sinclair's "Oil!" printed inside the digipak.
Old 03-21-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What do you mean by slits? I don't understand. Like a CD wallet?
Old 03-21-08, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
What do you mean by slits? I don't understand. Like a CD wallet?
Very similar to the Killer of Sheep packaging. Each disc slides into a side opening inside the digipak, kind of like a cardboard pouch.
Old 03-21-08, 10:05 AM

Very similar to the Killer of Sheep packaging. Each disc slides into a side opening inside the digipak, kind of like a cardboard pouch.
Not to be a pest, but your source is...?

Also, you're saying the digipack slides into the main cover (i.e. like Se7en collectors edition), right? If so, that makes sense.
Old 03-21-08, 10:29 AM

My source is I have it right in front of me. Why in the world would I make something like that up?

Yes, it slides into the main cover like any other digipak. There's just no plastic tray holding the discs in place on the inner sleeve part.
Old 03-21-08, 10:40 AM
Cool New Member

Well that's just... underwhelming. So essentially, I'll be using this packaging once... and then storing the discs in a regular case.

Why waste such a beautiful artwork on something that can't store the dvds without scratching? I assume the one-disc is the same type of thing judging by the pic. Shame. I'd pick that up instead if it was a regular case.
Old 03-21-08, 11:20 AM

My source is I have it right in front of me. Why in the world would I make something like that up?

Yes, it slides into the main cover like any other digipak. There's just no plastic tray holding the discs in place on the inner sleeve part.
It was just a question, and a legitimate one at that. No need to get huffy, I was just curious as to how someone already had them or had info on them no one else (apparently) does. Or, at least, they aren't being very specific with it.
Old 03-21-08, 05:01 PM

Well crap, I hated that packaging, very easy for the set to get squashed. Definately one to be picked up in the store so you don't get one that's crushed.
Old 03-23-08, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

damn, that packaging had me all excited until i heard about the cardboard slots.

ah well, waitin for the Blu-ray is what i should do anyway

-NiCK
Old 03-23-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
damn, that packaging had me all excited until i heard about the cardboard slots.

ah well, waitin for the Blu-ray is what i should do anyway
Same here. I retract my statement about this being nice enough packaging to buy the DVD for now. Also gonna wait for the Blu Ray.
Old 03-23-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Review is up at dvd maniacs

http://www.dvdmaniacs.net/
Old 03-23-08, 01:23 PM
Cool New Member

None of those extras really sound too great. Couple that with the cardboard slits, & no-go for me. I guess I'll get the 1-disc and have a standard DVD case standing by.

It's a shame. I guess the movie is what counts, though.
Old 03-23-08, 01:25 PM
Banned

Less than an hour of bonus material all together. This is so depressing.
Old 03-24-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's another review up at Ign. The Dvdmaniacs gave the picture a 3.5/5 and Ign gave it a 10/10. I wonder who is right? Both agree that the extras are light.
Old 03-25-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Premise
There's another review up at Ign. The Dvdmaniacs gave the picture a 3.5/5 and Ign gave it a 10/10. I wonder who is right? Both agree that the extras are light.
I've got my screener copy in hand...browsed everything last night but I'll dig through it and write a review later this week. Initial impressions are that the picture seems a bit flat and soft in several spots; hardly anything major, but it's closer to a 3.5/5 than a 10/10 IMO. The menus are almost jaw-droppingly basic, and there's only EIGHT chapters for the film. That's about one for every 20 minutes.

The packaging, as said by others, looks pretty cool but the carboard slits are a turn-off. My Disc 2 arrived with a few scuffs, enough so that the DVD-ROM drive was having trouble playing it. I doubt either of my set-top players will have problems with it, though.
Old 03-25-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think PTA made the decision about the bonus features rather than Paramount. He doesn't want to do commentaries now, and he also didn't want the behind-the-scenes material on there. I'd bet he had a hand in deciding how many chapter stops there are as well.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.