DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

There Will Be Blood April 8th?

Old 04-11-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"It's like a fine wine. Are you asking me to throw out my wine?"
Old 04-11-08, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
"Yeah, I'm sorry I showed up so late to the hospital, but honestly, you knew better. You know that nothing--NOTHING--is more important to me, especially when it comes to the unexpected news of emergencies, than my uninterrupted comfort of sitting in one place for hours watching a screen. You know what you married into, and I don't want to hear about it now."
By this logic, do you keep your phone on in theatres
Old 04-11-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Set to vibrate.

OH SNAP!
Old 04-11-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I won't be able to express this personal theory well without pissing someone off, but here goes. I'll keep it very condensed.

Some people appreciate movies only (or mainly) as entertainment. For the most part, those people won't "love" a film like TWBB or NCfOM. They need more of a closed, or dare I say, simple, story. Certain movies, no matter how well done, won't be entertaining for them.

Some people are more in it for the "art", and can fully appreciate a film even if it is full of subject matter that does not even slightly interest them, has completely unlikable characters, and is slow as molasses.

Most people are somewhere between this two extremes of course. And I am in no way saying that anyone in this thread is either extreme, or that either extreme is "wrong".

Personally, I tend towards the second extreme, and feel that the two movies are two of the best films of this century, and may go on to be timeless classics.

But I also agree that TWBB is not as "entertaining" as a couple of PTA's other films. They are nowhere near as good as TWBB (imho), but I will re-watch Boogie Nights and perhaps Magnolia more often that TWBB.

Again, I am not saying that anyone on the planet, let alone here, is "simple" for not falling in love with TWBB. I just feel that there are completely different ways that people appreciate film/entertainment, and the two camps will never agree on certain things.

Obviously, there are exceptions to everything, and I'm sure that some people firmly in the "movies are art" camp can hate TWBB for very valid reasons, and some people that love mainstream "low-brow" films also love TWBB.

I'm sure someone will scan this post (while talking on the phone and IMing someone) and cast me as an elitist asshole, but I'm really not. I'm just trying to quickly explain my silly little mind's way of understanding why both camps are perfectly "a-ok" and will often not understand each other's views.
I completely agree, I refer to this as the film fan-student dichotomy (just topped you on the elitist asshole scale I think). Of course, all students in a film program may not be "film students" per se, but merely very big film fans and of course there are many "film students" that never stepped foot inside an accredited film school. It is all dependent on how one views a film. Some of the smartest people I've known refuse to recognize film as art, but only as either A) a means of propagandizing the masses (my response is yes, when the film is good that is exactly what it is except that the propaganda is the director's vision) or B) trite entertainment that does not deserve the deep analysis/study hoisted upon the classic arts (there is simply no convincing these people...and you thought film snobs were elitist)

I'd like to say "to each their own," but I think everyone whose approach to film is more along the "student" end of the spectrum cannot help, but be baited or silently annoyed when they here/read the always articulate mutliplex masses say "that film sucked, it was so boring, nothing happened" or similarily shallow appraisals of film. Then again, if I were to speak about a car, a gearhead would feel the exact same way. "Uhhh..that car is good because it goes fast and looks nice "

Last edited by BambooLounge; 04-11-08 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-11-08, 12:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Give me a break, unless you're a doctor on call or imminently expecting a birth, no phone call is important enough to not wait till the end of the movie. And if you are in either of those situations, what the f are you doing at a movie?

I'm all for shooting people who answer cell phones inside a theater. I leave mine in the car usually.
Old 04-11-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Give me a break, unless you're a doctor on call or imminently expecting a birth, no phone call is important enough to not wait till the end of the movie. And if you are in either of those situations, what the f are you doing at a movie?

I'm all for shooting people who answer cell phones inside a theater. I leave mine in the car usually.
Fire away at those who "answer" or "text" with the phone in the theater, but I'd excuse those who for reasons expressed elsewhere keep a phone on silent/vibrate and quickly/quietly exit the theater before taking the call or opening the phone (no one wants to see your 100 gigawat keypad light up damnit!) As for me I generally shut my phone off everytime, but I can wholly understand why a parent or others would want to keep their phone on silent/vibrate during a film, shit happens, no reason to cut off all communication. It is how people react when they get the incoming call/text that matters.
Old 04-11-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Yeah, I'm sorry I showed up so late to the hospital, but honestly, you knew better. You know that nothing--NOTHING--is more important to me, especially when it comes to the unexpected news of emergencies, than my uninterrupted comfort of sitting in one place for hours watching a screen. You know what you married into, and I don't want to hear about it now."
I guess I'm lucky that at this point in time I live a fairly drama free life. I can honestly say that within the last fifteen years, there's been one family emergency that justified a call. I'll take my chances that something bad won't happen during the two hours I turn off the phone.
Old 04-11-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To clear up my earlier post...I was not surfing the net while watching THERE WILL BE BLOOD. My computer is also my dvd player (hooked into my widescreen TV) and an IM happened to pop up onscreen while I was watching. So I stopped watching for a couple of minutes and went online for a break since I was totally bored. Hard film to watch in one sitting for me.
Old 04-11-08, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Fire away at those who "answer" or "text" with the phone in the theater, but I'd excuse those who for reasons expressed elsewhere keep a phone on silent/vibrate and quickly/quietly exit the theater before taking the call or opening the phone (no one wants to see your 100 gigawat keypad light up damnit!) As for me I generally shut my phone off everytime, but I can wholly understand why a parent or others would want to keep their phone on silent/vibrate during a film, shit happens, no reason to cut off all communication. It is how people react when they get the incoming call/text that matters.
I somewhat agree. But like grenier said, what are the chances of a real emergency? Humanity lived without cell phones for thousands of years.

But yeah, if people keep them on silent and only answer them once they've left the theater, fine.
Old 04-11-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, it wouldn't be an emergency if you knew it was coming. And as anyone will tell you, one-in-a-million chances come up nine times out of ten.
Old 04-11-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I somewhat agree. But like grenier said, what are the chances of a real emergency? Humanity lived without cell phones for thousands of years
Humanity has also lived without toilet paper, toothbrushes, soap, and movies for thousands of years as well. Sorry, had to, the "humans have lived x amount of years without y" argument/logic is just a pet peeve of mine since it stands in direct opposition of future progress.
Old 04-11-08, 02:37 PM

Well, it wouldn't be an emergency if you knew it was coming. And as anyone will tell you, one-in-a-million chances come up nine times out of ten.
True, but seriously, few emergencies require your intervention via the phone that exact minute.

And I hope we all agree that it is rude to talk or text in the theater itself. Walk out into the hallway please.

Humanity has also lived without toilet paper, toothbrushes, soap, and movies for thousands of years as well. Sorry, had to, the "humans have lived x amount of years without y" argument/logic is just a pet peeve of mine since it stands in direct opposition of future progress.
Good point. I'm all for progress. In fact, I got rid of my home line and went cell phone only 10 years ago, back before almost anyone else was doing it.
Old 04-11-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

And oil!
Old 04-11-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We all have our own opinions on what is an emergency, I'm not going to derail the thread any more then I have.

Feel free to do whatever you want while watching a movie, just don't call me.
Old 04-12-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mine arrived from CH.com today in perfect, pristine condition. I was on the phone as I opened it and dropped the discs to the floor on accident. Guess what? Still perfect. And I actually like this packaging. I'll still probably try and get a digipak to put in my case, but this is not bad at all.
Old 04-12-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hadn't paid much attention to this thread so I was surprised when I went to buy this today at Best Buy and saw the horrible packaging. I refuse to pay normal price for what I guess is huge cost saver for Paramount. I put it back on the shelf. I'll wait for a previously viewed from Blockbuster or a re-release.
Old 04-12-08, 11:53 PM

Well, I finally saw this movie. Masterpiece is how i'd explain it. I loved the Kubrick touch with the beginning sequence. My problem now is I want to own it but who knows when it will hit BD. No point in getting the dvd when sometime it will hit Blu. Also, just how bad is the packaging with the dvd? I hear it's horrendous.
Old 04-13-08, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mike2
Also, just how bad is the packaging with the dvd? I hear it's horrendous.
Yeah, if only someone would post pictures of it...
Old 04-13-08, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by slop101
There are pictures of the two disc, which is horrible but not nearly as bad as the one disc.

Basically the two disc is a cardboard slit; from what I've heard of the single disc, it's on par if not slightly worse than $1 public domain DVDs in a cardboard slipcover.
Old 04-13-08, 08:07 AM
crs

Originally Posted by slop101
There's pictures of both versions in the thread (I posted a pic of the 1-disc in post #151). But I guess you can't expect people to read the whole thread...
Old 04-13-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

He was being sarcastic.
Old 04-13-08, 10:50 AM
crs

Originally Posted by fumanstan
He was being sarcastic.
I was referring to the mike2 guy who asked how bad the packaging was.
Old 04-18-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Aegean2007
Thanks! That worked out perfectly!!

Would one be able to order a double digipak trey off the Net somewhere?