DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

There Will Be Blood April 8th?

Old 02-16-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HD for me. I hope they use a completely different cover than those for the SD releases. I can't wait to watch those bonus features.
Old 02-16-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Not trying to argue, but I genuinely don't understand the posts by dman988 and chris_sc77. What is wrong with including more special features on the HD version? Isn't it like an incentive for people to pick up the HD version? Or how about a better version for the higher price paid? Or how about people who are into HD in the first place are more likely to want to watch special features than the average bare bones purchaser?
No, the incentive should be the high definition video and sound. If that's not enough then why even invest in such a format? With multiple formats out there its silly to leave off special features like this especially in this case where HD-DVD is really on it's last limb but that's a different forum/topic.
Old 02-16-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ I agree. There's no reason to leave off features just to try an get an HD purchase out of consumers. Many people have chosen to stick with dvd and to penalize film fans by removing content that could easily fit on a 2 disc set is just lame.
Old 02-16-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those covers are extremely lame.

Look like a 6 year old did it in Microsoft Paint.
Old 02-16-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Terrible covers. And yeah Blu-rays and HD-DVDs have had more features on a few different releases. We have gone on bitching that Fox doesn't include extra features on Blu-rays that are included in the DVD version well now it's like it's supposed to be. The HD versions should have more features because it has more disc space and because some features just cannot be done on DVD.
Old 02-16-08, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
^ I agree. There's no reason to leave off features just to try an get an HD purchase out of consumers. Many people have chosen to stick with dvd and to penalize film fans by removing content that could easily fit on a 2 disc set is just lame.
Exactly! Especially when they're paying ten bucks more to get that 2-disc edition, and the HD crew is paying about 2 bucks more after that.

But yes, as Mao has stated already, this will become clearer on Tuesday, and I can't wait...because THERE MIGHT BE BLOOD!
Old 02-16-08, 04:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Terrible covers. And yeah Blu-rays and HD-DVDs have had more features on a few different releases. We have gone on bitching that Fox doesn't include extra features on Blu-rays that are included in the DVD version well now it's like it's supposed to be. The HD versions should have more features because it has more disc space and because some features just cannot be done on DVD.
EVerything on the 2-disk HD-DVD version of this CAN fit in the 2-DIsk DVD set. (and still have about 2 hours worth of free space it sounds like). Like I said I have HD-DVD but I hate that this is coming to HD_DVD with more features than on EITHER of the 2 versions on DVD. I am not a fan of these hi-def formats. They take way too long to load and are not very impressive IMO and am glad HD-DVD is finished and BLu-ray wont be around much longer or at least widely accepted either.
Old 02-16-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

oh dear...i don't mind the single disc artwork but what's up with the 2-disc set artwork? it's like let's make the worse artwork ever.

i hope whoever did that artwork dies and burns in hell.
Old 02-16-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dman988
Exactly! Especially when they're paying ten bucks more to get that 2-disc edition, and the HD crew is paying about 2 bucks more after that.

But yes, as Mao has stated already, this will become clearer on Tuesday, and I can't wait...because THERE MIGHT BE BLOOD!
Will it be Blu blood....?
Old 02-16-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll be purchasing this no doubt. And then I'll sell it once the BR version comes out which may be a long while.
Old 02-16-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's temp art, which is usually butt-ugly compared to the final art.

Disney is well known for this, Paramount and Universal have started doing it. Yes, it's not good, but the artwork ain't final.
Old 02-16-08, 08:42 PM
Banned

ALso i would advise everyone complaining about the cover art to chill the F out.
These are obviously not the finalized covers. There is no way they are not going to milk the awards recognition this film has received all over the front cover.
I am pretty sure the finalized art will be classier than what the pics on the previous page show.
Old 02-16-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Aegean2007
I really wish they had gone with this:

I know the current artwork is just temp art, but this art blows them both out of the water.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Not trying to argue, but I genuinely don't understand the posts by dman988 and chris_sc77. What is wrong with including more special features on the HD version? Isn't it like an incentive for people to pick up the HD version? Or how about a better version for the higher price paid? Or how about people who are into HD in the first place are more likely to want to watch special features than the average bare bones purchaser?
The incentive should be getting high definiton video and audio. Not to get extra bonus features. I'm a completist when it comes to disc content, so I always prefer to get the SE's of movies when released. I can't afford to spend additional money upgrading to another format (especially one that is pretty much the declared loser in this format war) just to get extra bonus features, which leaves me in a "no-win" situation. It looks like Cloverfield (another Paramount title) is going to be done this way, which really angers me as well.

Now with that said, reading Mao's post, it does look like it might not be the case with There Will Be Blood. Notice how the specs on the HD-DVD versions have been duplicated.

Originally Posted by Mao
The 2 Disc HD-DVD Features:
English, French Dubbed & Subtitled, Spanish, Spanish Dubbed & Subtitled
5.1 Dolby Digital Plus, 5.1 Dolby TrueHD
Additional Scenes: 15 Minutes
Featurette: The Story of Petroleum
Featurette: There Will Be Blood - Pics, Research, Etc
Trailers: Teaser
Trailers: Trailer
Additional Scenes: Fishing
Additional Scenes: "Haircut"
Additional Scenes: Haircut/Interrupted Hymn
Featurette: Dailies Gone Wild
Additional Scenes: Dailies Gone Wild
It leads me to believe that this will be a DVD/HD-DVD combo title.

Last edited by MTRodaba2468; 02-16-08 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-16-08, 08:54 PM
Banned

It would be interesting if they used this:
Old 02-16-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Now with that said, reading Mao's post, it does look like it might not be the case with There Will Be Blood. Notice how the specs on the HD-DVD versions have been duplicated.

It leads me to believe that this will be a DVD/HD-DVD combo title.
This is a Paramount movie, which to date has never released a DVD/HD DVD Combo movie (with the exception of Star Trek Season 1) on HD DVD.
Old 02-18-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

HD-DVD for me
Great movie!
Old 02-18-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
The 2 Disc HD-DVD Features:
English, French Dubbed & Subtitled, Spanish, Spanish Dubbed & Subtitled
5.1 Dolby Digital Plus, 5.1 Dolby TrueHD
Additional Scenes: 15 Minutes
Featurette: There Will Be Blood - Pics, Research, Etc
Trailers: Trailer
Additional Scenes: "Haircut"
Additional Scenes: Haircut/Interrupted Hymn
Featurette: Dailies Gone Wild
Additional Scenes: Dailies Gone Wild
Isthere any reason why the features are incredibly repetitive?
Old 02-18-08, 02:13 PM
Banned

^Yes there is a reason and the reason is to make it sound like there is a lot more on the 2nd disk than there really is.
Old 02-18-08, 03:22 PM

I saw this in the theatre just yesterday -- and I cannot wait to watch it again. Must-buy here as well!
Old 02-19-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-be-blood.html

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced 1-disc and 2-disc editions of There Will Be Blood which stars Daniel Day-Lewis. The Paul Thomas Anderson directed film will be available to own from the 8th April. Each will carry an anamorphic widescreen presentation, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. No extra material will be included on the 1-disc. The 2-disc will include 3 featurettes (Dailies Gone Wild, The Story of Petroleum, 15), additional scenes (Fishing, and Haircut/Interrupted Hymn), and both the teaser and theatrical trailers. A HD DVD release will also be available with all of the 2-disc features. We've attached package artwork for the 1-disc release of the movie below:

Last edited by Matthew Ackerly; 02-19-08 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-19-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So they both have the same features after all.
Old 02-19-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Drexl
So they both have the same features after all.
Something tells me that the Toshiba announcement might have helped...but I digress.

The one disc art is Ok by me. But I am with everyone else, a leather like book would be nice for the two disc.
Old 02-19-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Aegean2007
I really wish they had gone with this:

I agree, I love this poster. I wish they had used this for the DVD.
Old 02-19-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-be-blood.html

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced 1-disc and 2-disc editions of There Will Be Blood which stars Daniel Day-Lewis. The Paul Thomas Anderson directed film will be available to own from the 8th April. Each will carry an anamorphic widescreen presentation, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround track. No extra material will be included on the 1-disc. The 2-disc will include 3 featurettes (Dailies Gone Wild, The Story of Petroleum, 15), additional scenes (Fishing, and Haircut/Interrupted Hymn), and both the teaser and theatrical trailers. A HD DVD release will also be available with all of the 2-disc features. We've attached package artwork for the 1-disc release of the movie below:
Good that the artwork doesn't match the one posted earlier in this thread.

Wait a second, it's the same picture!

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 02-19-08 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 09:43 PM

I'll be picking up the HD version...hopefully this doesn't get delayed at all because of toshibas announcement today

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.