Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

300: -7/31/07

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-07, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xage
Any Futureshop steelbooks talk? anyone? ... looks like the discussions are more with the giftset...

FYI, the steel book is harder to get and lesser in quantity released.
It's not really anything special, no inserts.
But not special mainly, because it is easily found in other regions for cheaper.
Old 08-01-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Willh51
I have to disagree; I realize that some of the graininess is normal, I saw it in the theater also. However, some of the early scenes are NOT like they were in the theater. I may be totally off base, but I just do not remember it looking like mosquito netting in from of one character's face.
None of the reviews mention anything like this. I haven't received my copy to watch it yet so I can't say personally.

Here is one review

Well, I'm going to put on my flame-proof suit and say that because the film has been so intentionally processed and "degraded," its very nature just doesn't lend itself to the kind of truly eye-popping and ultra-realistic high-def that I've come to equate with the term reference quality.
Another
300 was shot in a very distinctive way. Director Zack Snyder took panels from Frank Miller's graphic novel and tried to match the filmed scenes to the composition of the panels as closely as possible. Furthermore, Snyder shot the entire film (with the exception of one scene) against bluescreen, adding digital backdrops in every scene. The end result is highly stylized, and is further affected by extreme desaturation and other image manipulations. The end result was striking in the theaters, and I'm glad to say that Warner Bros. 2.40:1, VC-1 encoded 1080p transfer perfectly replicates the unique look Snyder brought to the production. This should be, in my opinion, the ultimate goal of any home video release, whether it be HD or not. So, that being said, 300 doesn't have the immediate "pop" that King Kong or Pirates of the Caribbean does. But it does perfectly recall the theatrical experience, which is exactly what it should do. There's no artifacting or other video issues. There's good detail when the image is meant to be detailed. Some people want every HD release to have an immediate "wow" factor, but I'm glad WB is sticking to its guns and maintaining the look the filmmakers spent so much time achieving.
Old 08-01-07, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm actually enjoying this debate, as I think 300 is a title that it is kind of hard to tell. And I'll fully admit that I might be wrong (at least on this title, The Departed was bad ). But here's one I found:

The 16:9 enhanced 2.35:1 transfer faithfully reproduces the highly stylized palette based on Lynn Varley's colors from the source graphic novel. Unfortunately, the transfer is plagued by a haze of digital grain that has been a regular issue with Warner standard definition DVD transfers of recent theatrical releases for quite some time. The larger your display, the more evident this digital noise becomes.
And of course that bottom quote is from a Blu-Ray release review, which is a whole different ball game. I believe this is a standard dvd specific problem.

Last edited by Willh51; 08-01-07 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-01-07, 11:21 PM

What is your display?
Old 08-01-07, 11:41 PM

Are the FYE B&M shops offering a bonus disc? Also, does the DVD that came with the 300 movie ticket best buy was giving away a while back include any material that is not on the the 2 disc special edition?
Old 08-02-07, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Icon769
Are the FYE B&M shops offering a bonus disc? Also, does the DVD that came with the 300 movie ticket best buy was giving away a while back include any material that is not on the the 2 disc special edition?
As far as I know, the bonus disc are only for those who pre-ordered. But some testimonials from other forums and discussion boards got it upon buying 300.

Here is the bonus disc photo:

Looks like all that were shown in the bestbuy Ticket/Preview DVD can be found in the 2nd disc of the special edition
Old 08-02-07, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's some pics of the circuit city 300 exclusive. As everyone should know it's 4 collector cards, about the size of index cards and pretty thick. There not packed together w/the dvd. It's behind the counter and of course you have to ask the cashier about it or should I say convince the cashier that your supposed to get them with the dvd purchase.

Old 08-02-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Best Buy had a ton of sets. I opted just for the 2-disc SE. Space is getting limited in my home and I just can't get every collectible set out there. Plus with the Bladerunner briefcase coming up I just can't spare the room.
Old 08-02-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
So has anyone actually compared the Best Buy Bonus DVD (with the ticket) to the 2nd Disc of the Special Edition to see if the extras were carried over? Or are we just assuming it's the same disc (everything ported over)?

Thanks.
Old 08-02-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Why would we assume it's the same disc? That would be dumb. They're actually not the same from what I've read. I have both but haven't gotten around to watching the 2nd disc features of the SE. But from the descriptions, it's all new content that would not have been on the BB bonus disc released in March. The BB bonus disc has a smattering of 2- and 3-minute featurettes. The occasional interview snippet might contain some of the same footage but the overall content is different.
Old 08-02-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
So has anyone actually compared the Best Buy Bonus DVD (with the ticket) to the 2nd Disc of the Special Edition to see if the extras were carried over? Or are we just assuming it's the same disc (everything ported over)?

Thanks.
I own both, and (as mentioned in my review) it seems that some of the "Webisodes" have been carried over and tossed in with the other bonus features. I don't have a list in front of me, but I'd say roughly half of the BB bonus disc content is accounted for, maybe more.

Either way, there's much more on the second disc than just the Webisodes, so it's worth a look if you enjoyed the film.
Old 08-02-07, 04:35 PM

Well I did get my FS steelbook today and I've very happy with it. I don't need the helmet as it would just take up space and I already have the NECA 300 figures anyway. It does come with just an insert and the 2 discs but will look good next to my other FS steelbooks.

PG
Old 08-02-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
^ Why would we assume it's the same disc? That would be dumb. They're actually not the same from what I've read. I have both but haven't gotten around to watching the 2nd disc features of the SE. But from the descriptions, it's all new content that would not have been on the BB bonus disc released in March. The BB bonus disc has a smattering of 2- and 3-minute featurettes. The occasional interview snippet might contain some of the same footage but the overall content is different.
I was basing my questions on what a few previous posters have said. If you look earlier in the thread (when the DVDs were announced) many of us said we'd have a 3-Disc set when all was said & done because Disc 2 didn't have many of the Best Buy features.

Now I see people posting that the BB features are a part of Disc 2.

Looks like all that were shown in the bestbuy Ticket/Preview DVD can be found in the 2nd disc of the special edition

I just wanted a definite answer. Not that it would hamper my decision to pick up the 2-Disc edition (I'm definately doing that). I was just curious.
Old 08-02-07, 05:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by carnage6
Well I did get my FS steelbook today and I've very happy with it. I don't need the helmet as it would just take up space and I already have the NECA 300 figures anyway. It does come with just an insert and the 2 discs but will look good next to my other FS steelbooks.

PG
why in the world would you get Full Screen "steelbooks"?? that is a travesty to human decency

also, ziondog said above there was no insert? what does yours have on it?
Old 08-02-07, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
why in the world would you get Full Screen "steelbooks"?? that is a travesty to human decency

also, ziondog said above there was no insert? what does yours have on it?
The inserts are advertissments for HD-DVD and Blu-Rays

Nothing concerning the 300 DVD.
Old 08-02-07, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
I think he probably meant Future Shop "steelbooks".
Old 08-02-07, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by fourizonly
Irony much?
Old 08-02-07, 07:11 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Originally Posted by fourizonly
nooo, we all know what he meant.
Old 08-02-07, 07:51 PM

How are the cards in the Best Buy helmet version compared to the ones at Circuit City?
Later
Old 08-02-07, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ziondog
The inserts are advertissments for HD-DVD and Blu-Rays

Nothing concerning the 300 DVD.
Hey Zion, did you BB helmet get shipped yet?

When i check my order status the 'Out of Stock' is now changed to 'In Stock' but it still won't ship! Wtf are they waiting for?
Old 08-02-07, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by johnsun
How are the cards in the Best Buy helmet version compared to the ones at Circuit City?
Later
Not as fancy.

White backing, and postcard material.
Old 08-02-07, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
Hey Zion, did you BB helmet get shipped yet?

When i check my order status the 'Out of Stock' is now changed to 'In Stock' but it still won't ship! Wtf are they waiting for?
Nothing has shipped yet!

Only set I got (which is for a DVDTalker overseas) was by my brother traveling to a bestbuy store early morning.
Old 08-03-07, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone can snag me an extra 300 Bonus Disc from FYE (or Suncoast), I'd really appreciate it. I've been to 2 FYEs and 1 Suncoast and neither would let me get one if I bought 300 from them. Everyone told me it was for pre-orders only.
Old 08-03-07, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Abe.
Tonight, after I got home, I decided to go to another Best Buy to get a shelf that they didn't have at my store. I was with my brother this time, and he started looking for a helmet set. They had signs all over the store stating that they were all sold out. While browsing the computer section, I look behind a box of hard drives, and guess what I found... a hidden gift set!!! My brother bought it immediately

I found the shelf I wanted, and we went home.
hahahah! looks like you found someone's secret stash for later cuz they probably dint have $$$ at the time!!!
Old 08-03-07, 03:34 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MovieVVhore
hahahah! looks like you found someone's secret stash for later cuz they probably dint have $$$ at the time!!!
What do we learn from here? The guy should hide it in the appliance section.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.