Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-09, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

It would be a shame if there was no boxset compiling David Tennants last "series".

If there was maybe more extras on this release (commentary?) besides the ones Doctor Who confidential, then I may have been tempted to get this release. Unless there is a statement saying that there will be no boxset, I wont pick up the individual releases.

The torchwood sets im going to have to be saving up for now.....

Last edited by TheJoker; 06-01-09 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-01-09, 08:56 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by TheJoker
It would be a shame if there was no boxset compiling David Tennants last "series".
Oh, I'm sure there will be - maybe subtitled "The Specials" or "Series 4.5" or somesuch. If they want to make it a must-buy, how about including his upcoming two-episode 'guest story' on The Sarah Jane Adventures.
Old 06-01-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Who News updated!
Old 06-01-09, 11:54 PM

Awesome, So i have the rescue/romans and attack of the cybermen on pre-order.

I said i wasnt going to get into collecting these but then the wbshop deal happened and now I need em all.

O and I would very much just like the Sarah Jane adventures episodes to be in their own series. I dont want to have multiple episodes of the same episodes.
Old 06-25-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

R1 News: The Next Doctor - 9/15/09

R1 News: The Next Doctor - 9/15/09

TV Shows on DVD has the news:
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-...t-Doctor/12177

Old 06-25-09, 07:29 AM

It's a shame that BBC Video in the US have decided to just copy the UK DVD release. While "Doctor Who at the Proms" is a nice bonus, this will be the first time that the "Doctor Who Confidential" for an episode is not on DVD (and the Confidential for "The Next Doctor" runs about 45 minutes, so it could have easily fit on the DVD).
Old 06-25-09, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by diditagain
It's a shame that BBC Video in the US have decided to just copy the UK DVD release.
Quite some time ago, there was a decree within the BBC that the content (including bonus features) of Doctor Who releases had to be exactly the same* no matter what region, so the American office couldn't change the supplements if they wanted to (this is why the Henry Da Silva recaps disappeared from the R1 releases of Tom Baker stories). Probably to keep people from importing for "exclusive" content.

(*–the one different commentary track on the Series 3 boxset doesn't count: I think there was a clearance problem with music sung by John Barrowman that caused that change to be made for the R1).
Old 06-25-09, 11:21 AM

Just a reminder:
"The Next Doctor" is airing on BBC America this Saturday June 27 and "Planet of the Dead" on July 26.
Old 06-25-09, 11:21 AM

Thanks for that information, mythmaker. Since new Who releases usually come out in the UK before the US, at least I'll know exactly what to expect on a US DVD when it is released!

I have a sneaky feeling that there will be a 2010 release with all five Tennant specials in one set, probably proclaiming new features like the Confidential for "The Next Doctor" (that should have been on the original UK release)!
Old 06-25-09, 06:11 PM

I have the same feeling diditagin. I think I'll wait and not pick up these individual releases unless a year from now it's clear they aren't releasing a box set.
Old 06-26-09, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bluth54
I have the same feeling diditagin. I think I'll wait and not pick up these individual releases unless a year from now it's clear they aren't releasing a box set.
You guys may be right, but I'm not able to wait one year to find out! So I'll buy these individual releases now and sell them later if a boxed set does indeed come out.
Old 06-26-09, 08:36 PM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by horroru
Just a reminder:
"The Next Doctor" is airing on BBC America this Saturday June 27 and "Planet of the Dead" on July 26.
OH MY GOD! Thank you so much...I missed this completely when going through the listings.
Old 07-16-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Supposedly, BBC is going to announce that The War Games & the Black Guardian Trilogy (Mawdryn Undead, Terminus & Enlightenment) will be coming to Region 1 on 11/3/09. Each is a box set sized release.
Old 07-19-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Can I get some recommendations for the DeepDiscount sale? I have a bit of cash and would like to get 1 or 2 titles of each Doctor's best.

Background. First viewing of Who was Eccleston and part of Tennant, all four of those seasons are definite buys.

I've also picked up used:
The Mind Robber (currently watching)
The Claws of Axos (unwatched)
Pyramids of Mars ""
Horror of Fang Rock ""

I love the heck out of the 9th and 10th Doctor Dalek stories, so I'd love some of the older ones of those also.

thanks!
Old 07-20-09, 12:02 PM

Hey milo, if you haven't already, check out the "Official" Who thread elsewhere on this site. You've picked a good variety so far. My personal preference (aside from the new series) is for the first four doctors. Give the recently released "Key to Time" set a try- lots of bang for your buck.
Old 07-20-09, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Can I get some recommendations for the DeepDiscount sale? I have a bit of cash and would like to get 1 or 2 titles of each Doctor's best.

Background. First viewing of Who was Eccleston and part of Tennant, all four of those seasons are definite buys.

I've also picked up used:
The Mind Robber (currently watching)
The Claws of Axos (unwatched)
Pyramids of Mars ""
Horror of Fang Rock ""

I love the heck out of the 9th and 10th Doctor Dalek stories, so I'd love some of the older ones of those also.

thanks!
I would recommend the following, as I feel they are among the very best stories:

Brain of Morbius
Robots of Death
Ark In Space
City of Death

If you like the Daleks, then I would also recommend:

Destiny of the Daleks
Genesis of the Daleks
Old 07-20-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Thanks for the help but I only ended up getting the Eccleston/Tennant series and used the rest to get the complete Star Trek TNG set. I'll just keep watching the used shops for the classic Who for the time being.
Old 07-22-09, 05:57 PM

War Games and Black Guardian Trilogy announced!

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-...ctor_Who/12350

But the prices on these guys get higher and higher! $50 MSRP for the War Games?
Old 07-22-09, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

War Games and Black Guardian Trilogy announced!

The War Games has about twice as many episodes as the other releases from that time period with 10 episodes, making it a lot longer and 3 discs, justifying the increased SRP.
Old 07-22-09, 11:11 PM

That's why I've been selling off my R1 collection and am switching to the R2s. For whatever reason, the US office never puts their titles on the kinds of sales that they do in the UK. I just recently bought the Sontaran Bred for War boxset for the equivalent of about $16.00 (which contains Time Warrior, Sontaran Experiment, Invasion of Time and Two Doctors). That's cheaper than I could've bought the R1 of Invasion of Time by itself! You can almost guarantee the R2 titles will be at least half-off in 6-12 months after release. Not so in the US.
Old 07-23-09, 08:23 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
That's why I've been selling off my R1 collection and am switching to the R2s. For whatever reason, the US office never puts their titles on the kinds of sales that they do in the UK. I just recently bought the Sontaran Bred for War boxset for the equivalent of about $16.00 (which contains Time Warrior, Sontaran Experiment, Invasion of Time and Two Doctors). That's cheaper than I could've bought the R1 of Invasion of Time by itself! You can almost guarantee the R2 titles will be at least half-off in 6-12 months after release. Not so in the US.
Between the current DeepDiscount and DVDPlanet sales, plus all the great sales the WBShop has, I do just fine with prices on R1 'Who releases.
Old 07-23-09, 09:31 AM

Not mention that the R2's would probably look even better since it is mastered in in 576 instead of 480 (though you do need a region free player and monitor that can accept the 50hz)

Im already invested in the R1s or else I would totally switch over....
Old 08-04-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was intrigued by Torchwood, but the season 1 reviews kept me away. Now I see that season 2 is supposed to be an improvement and Children of Earth is supposed to be awesome. What's the best way to get into this series? Does the new mini stand on it's own, or is some backstory needed? Is it best to maybe start with season 2, or should one see it all from the beginning, even if it was a shaky start?

As background, I'm a recent fan of Dr. Who, who's only watched the new series as it's been released on DVD.
Old 08-04-09, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tscott
I was intrigued by Torchwood, but the season 1 reviews kept me away. Now I see that season 2 is supposed to be an improvement and Children of Earth is supposed to be awesome. What's the best way to get into this series? Does the new mini stand on it's own, or is some backstory needed? Is it best to maybe start with season 2, or should one see it all from the beginning, even if it was a shaky start?

As background, I'm a recent fan of Dr. Who, who's only watched the new series as it's been released on DVD.
I would start from the beginning with Season 1, since there are things at the end of Season 2 which are much more meaningful if you've watched the show from the beginning.
Old 08-04-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by horroru
I would start from the beginning with Season 1, since there are things at the end of Season 2 which are much more meaningful if you've watched the show from the beginning.
While that's true, I would say S3 largely stands on its own. There are certainly references to prior events that have happened in S1/S2, but I think S3 did enough explaining that you didn't *need* to watch those beforehand. Likewise, I think that much is added having watched either of those first.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.