Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 01-04-09, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
Any word on what's going on with these? I know they were released in the UK ages ago. Are we ever going to get this set stateside?

I'm sure we'll see the Remembrance Special Edition at some point but the Davros set was supposed to be a UK limited exclusive so it'll probably never hit our borders (much like the Sontaran Bred For War box set). BBC Worldwide jumped the gun on announcing it for Region 1 and quickly changed their mind.

Once Remembrance gets a solo release in England (it's only available in the Davros Box for now), we'll probably see it out here within a year. My plan is to pick up the UK version because the Beatles song ("Do You Want To Know A Secret?") will be intact over there. When it's released for Region 1, they have to change it.
Old 01-04-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Always ahead of the curve, Kevin. I added your link to the Misc. Section. Sorry I missed it the first time.
Thanks, you may want to note that it also includes Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures among other minor spin-offs. That's why I call it the Doctor Who Universe Episode List.
Old 01-04-09, 05:48 PM

War Machines and Four to Doomsday shipped from Amazon yesterday. I bought it when it was $8.99 on Amazon as a price mistake.

Should be here monday.
Old 01-04-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheJoker
War Machines and Four to Doomsday shipped from Amazon yesterday. I bought it when it was $8.99 on Amazon as a price mistake.

Should be here monday.

So they honored the price? I jumped in at the $8.99 price as well.

EDIT: Just got an e-mail from Amazon that mine shipped. Both were $8.99. Woo Hoo!!!

Last edited by The Valeyard; 01-04-09 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-07-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Region 2 News!

From Outpost Gallifrey:

New DVD Releases announced

A new colourised version of Planet of the Daleks is due for release on DVD this year as revealed in this month's Doctor Who Magazine. Episode three of the 1973 Jon Pertwee story previously only existed in the BBC archive as a black and white film recording. However, using partly the same process recently used on an old episode of Dad's Army ("Room at the Bottom", broadcast on BBC2 last month in colour for the first time in 39 years) using information contained in the film print, and partly artificial re-colouring in the United States, colour has been restored to the episode. The story will be released as a box set with Frontier in Space, which sees the Doctor meet the Draconians and features the last appearance of Roger Delgado as the Master. Full details of the restoration of episode three of Planet of the Daleks can be found in an article on the Restoration Team website.

Other stories due for release in 2009 are the swansong of the Second Doctor, The War Games, the Fourth Doctor stories The Deadly Assassin and Image of the Fendahl and the Seventh Doctor story Delta and the Bannermen.
The current release schedule is subject to change

26 Jan 2009 E-Space Trilogy Box set comprising of the 4th Doctor stories Full Circle, State Of Decay and Warrior's Gate.

23 Feb 2009 - The Rescue / The Romans

16 Mar 2009 - Attack Of The Cybermen

TBA - Delta and the Bannermen

TBA - Image of the Fendahl

TBA - The Deadly Assassin

TBA - Dalek War box set: Frontier in Space / Planet of the Daleks

TBA -The War Games
Old 01-07-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Updated my PDF again to show the new May 5th releases of:

#156: Battlefield

E-Space Trilogy
#112: Full Circle
#113: State of Decay
#114:Warriors' Gate
Old 01-07-09, 01:37 PM

Yay, more Pertwee stories. I love the older doctors.
Old 01-07-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<marquee behavior=scroll direction=down>COMING MAY 5, 2009!! COMING MAY 5, 2009!! COMING MAY 5, 2009!! COMING MAY 5, 2009!!</marquee>
<marquee behavior=scroll direction=left>The E-Space Trilogy (Full Circle, State of Decay, Warriors' Gate) AND Battlefield</marquee>
<marquee behavior=scroll direction=up>COMING MAY 5, 2009!! COMING MAY 5, 2009!! COMING MAY 5, 2009!! COMING MAY 5, 2009!!</marquee>

I've updated the first three posts with the latest news!

Last edited by The Valeyard; 01-07-09 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 12:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I cannot wait to view the E-space trilogy again!
Old 01-08-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

E-Space Trilogy Cover:

Battlefield Cover:

Old 01-15-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Keys of Marinus coming later this year:

Keys of Marinus heading for DVD

2 entertain have confirmed that the First Doctor story The Keys of Marinus is scheduled to be released on DVD in the first half of 2009. This release is in addition to the stories previously announced.

The Keys of Marinus was William Hartnell's fifth story and was originally shown between 11 April and 16 May 1964. It was written by the Daleks' creator, Terry Nation, and directed by John Gorrie. The Doctor Who restoration team has an article on the making of the DVD including details of previously unknown cuts in the episodes and how this missing material was restored.

There are 11 DVD release slots scheduled in 2009. The two remaining slots are likely to be filled with a box set consisting of three stories, and a stand alone release.

The current confirmed UK DVD release schedule is as follows:

26 Jan 2009 - E-Space Trilogy Box (Full Circle, State of Decay and Warriors' Gate)
23 Feb 2009 - The Rescue / The Romans
16 Mar 2009 - Attack of the Cybermen

In addition, the following are slated for UK release in 2009, with specific dates yet to be announced: The Keys of Marinus; The War Games; Dalek War box set (Frontier in Space / Planet of the Daleks); The Deadly Assassin; Image of the Fendahl; Delta and the Bannermen
Old 02-06-09, 12:13 PM

I had never seen an episode of Doctor Who until I noticed Netflix watch instantly has the first three series available. So now the and a half weeks later I'm hooked and I'm finishing the fourth series. As far as the older episodes...how do they compare to the new stuff? I don't really mind cheesy special effects, I think sci-fi and fantasy fans have to put up with that. I'm more concerned with the writing and acting. Where should I start? Help would be much appreciated!
Old 02-06-09, 03:29 PM
Suspended

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
I had never seen an episode of Doctor Who until I noticed Netflix watch instantly has the first three series available. So now the and a half weeks later I'm hooked and I'm finishing the fourth series. As far as the older episodes...how do they compare to the new stuff? I don't really mind cheesy special effects, I think sci-fi and fantasy fans have to put up with that. I'm more concerned with the writing and acting. Where should I start? Help would be much appreciated!
I would say the pre-revival episodes are much more melodramatic in their acting and writing, but they are still very solid and thoughtful SF. A good analogy is original Star Trek versus something like Deep Space 9 or Next Generation in their primes.

As for where to start, you can really start anywhere. Original Who worked in serials of 2-8 episodes each, and that's how they've been released on DVD -- in other words, any DVD you pick up will have a complete story. The stories generally don't continue from one serial to the next. There's a backstory that builds up over time, but you don't need to see the first eight serials that feature the daleks to enjoy the ninth.
Old 02-25-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

TVShowsonDVD is reporting that The Rescue/The Romans & Attack of the Cybermen are coming out July 7th!

Full story here:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...Cybermen/11390
Old 02-28-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Image of the Fendahl is coming to Region 2 in April:

As previously announced on the news page, the classic Doctor Who series adventure Image of the Fendahl, starring Tom Baker and Louise Jameson, will be released on Region 2 DVD (UK), with the now-confirmed date of release of April 6th. Meanwhile, a full listing of extras for the DVD have now been issued:

Commentary -- With actors Tom Baker, Louise Jameson, Wanda Ventham and Edward Arthur.

After Image -- cast and crew look back at the making of the story. With actors Louise Jameson, Edward Arthur, Wanda Ventham, script editor Anthony Read, visual effects designer Colin Mapson.
Deleted and Extended Scenes
Trailer
Photo Gallery
Coming Soon
Easter Egg
Radio Times Listings
Programme subtitles
Subtitle Production Notes
Old 03-28-09, 02:02 PM

Finished watching the recent R1 release of The Armageddon Factor yesterday- a great 6 parter. Possibly the greatest single Special Feature ever released on disc 2: Tom Baker reading Late Night Stories!
Old 04-29-09, 08:00 PM

Not sure if this is region free, but the first Doctor Who Blu-ray will be coming out overseas on June 29!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Dead-...1015164&sr=1-2

Im very excited, but yet I also want to wait for a boxset of the specials.
Old 04-29-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheJoker
Not sure if this is region free, but the first Doctor Who Blu-ray will be coming out overseas on June 29!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planet-Dead-...1015164&sr=1-2

Im very excited, but yet I also want to wait for a boxset of the specials.

Holy Cow! That's AWESOME!!! I WANT! But I'm also on the fence in hopes of a box set of all the specials.
Old 05-07-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

September 1st sees the release of The Deadly Assassin, Image of the Fendahl and Delta and the Bannerman.

Old 05-08-09, 11:27 AM

I have to say that the box art gets better and better with each release. It looks much more classier than the older releases.
Old 05-25-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From Outpost Gallifrey:

New DVD Dates
DVD and VideoMay 25, 2009 • Posted By Marcus
DVD sales sites have begun listing release dates for several stories for DVD release in the UK.

The second Doctor swan song, The War Games, is due for release on July 6th. The ten part story, staring Patrick Troughton is released on 3 discs. First shown in 1969, it also features Frazer Hines and Wendy Padbury.
Extras cleared for release at the BBFC website include a feature on the truth behind the War Games, Timezones; a feature on Malcolme Hulke; a 'Now and Then' on the Locations used in the story; a feature on Dudley Simpson; and a look at the Second Doctor in Comic strips.

August 10th sees the release of a box set entitled The Black Guardian Trilogy which contains three stories from the fifth Doctor. Mawdryn Undead, Terminus and Enlightenment were originally broadcast in the winter of 1983. They cover the arrival of Mark Strickson as Turlough and the departure of Sarah Sutton as Nyssa as well as featuring Janet Fielding as Tegan Jovanka.

Listed for release in September are two stories. The first Colin Baker story, The Twin Dilemma is listed for release on Spetember 7th. This is the first conformation that the story will be released this year. It completes the DVD releases for the sixth Doctor. Just two weeks later sees the release of the first Doctor story, The Keys of Marinus.

In addition, a special edition of the 1988 Sylvester McCoy story Remembrance of the Daleks is being issued on July 20th.

The current expected UK DVD release schedule is therefore as follows:

• 22 June 2009 - Delta And The Bannermen
• 6 July 2009 - The War Games
• 20 July 2009 - Remembrance Of The Daleks - Special Edition
• 10 August 2009 - The Black Guardian Trilogy
• 7 September 2009 - The Twin Dilemma
• 21 September 2009 - The Keys of Marinus

The Dalek War box set (Frontier in Space / Planet of the Daleks) si still expected later this year.

All dates are subject to change.
Old 05-25-09, 08:36 PM

Thats a lot of releases. Looks like by years end/winter we (US) should get those titles!

That remembrance of the dalek special edition looks like it may finally see release.

I do love more Pertwee and Troughton so that Dalek War and War Games DVD sets will be mine.
Old 06-01-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts

Looks like POTD was announced for R1 BR today.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...the-Dead/12008

$20 MSRP too!

The S3/mini-series for Torchwood was also announced for the end of July. MSRP is "only" $30 too for the BR.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tor...Of-Earth/12007
Old 06-01-09, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't say I'm too keen on individual releases of the specials. I want a box set once they are all out.... and what about The Next Doctor special?
Old 06-01-09, 09:02 PM

"The Next Doctor" is airing on BBC America in late June and "Planet of the Dead" on July 26, yet BBC Video only announces a DVD release for "Planet"?

I can only surmise that there will be a press release for "The Next Doctor" on DVD very soon, but BBC Video wanted to get the releases for "Planet of the Dead" and Torchwood S3 out right away since they are both also Blu-Ray releases.

I wonder if they will release these individually and then release a box set, or only release box sets for proper seasons?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.