Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

5.1 for Planet of the Dead as well.
Old 12-05-09, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheJoker
Update on the Who Specials box set, The Next Doctor will be upscaled on blu-ray.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doctor-...Specials/13068
Beware: lots of spoilers for the specials which haven't aired yet
Old 12-05-09, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
Beware: lots of spoilers for the specials which haven't aired yet
Nah, not spoilers. No more than the BBC's promotional teaser stuff that is being used to entice people to watch the specials.

Some of it intentionally mis-directional, anyway (like the whole "he will knock 4 times" prophecy; there are many meanings of the word "knock" that have nothing to do with striking a door to request entry).

Don't let Disc-Flipper's warning keep you from checking out the press release and the only trailers over there...all cool stuff that's really got me psyched up to watched these!
Old 01-02-10, 09:41 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Dalek War boxset announced for US release! And I just noticed on WBshop.com that the Remembrance of the Daleks SE DVD was released.
Just went to preorder the specials on Amazon and it tried to upsell me on Dalek War and Rememberance of the Daleks. Both are listed for a March 2 release. Dalek War includes two consecutive Pertwee serials -- Frontier in Space and Planet of the Daleks.
Old 01-02-10, 11:01 PM

OH MY GOD

This thread is amazing. I've just recently started looking at Dr. Who and I had no idea where to start. I really want to see the older material because I like classic television but I didn't know what discs came in what order and thought I'd have to piece it all together myself.

Thank you for making this and MAINTAINING it.
Old 01-02-10, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the compliments. I wish I could keep up with it as much as I'd like. Work keeps getting in the way. Tho it does looks like it's time for another update.

Welcome to the Forum!
Old 01-05-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doctor Who: The Complete Specials UK Cover:

FRONT

BACK

Doctor Who: The End of Time Parts 1 & 2:

Last edited by The Valeyard; 01-05-10 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-05-10, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I thought the previous cover with the black background looked better. I'm sure the US release will be the same red one. I wonder if we'd see a steelbook set.
Old 01-05-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wish the UK would redo their entire ratings logos. God those things kill the appeal of every piece of cover art they appear on.
Old 01-05-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I can see myself losing it while watching these extras.

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9/22881351001?isVid=1&publisherID=16764841001" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=58542718001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbcamerica.com%2Fcontent%2F123%2Fdoctor-who-video.jsp%3Fbclid%3D26821308001%26bctid%3D58542718001&playerID=22881351001&domain=embed&" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9/22881351001?isVid=1&publisherID=16764841001" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=58542718001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbcamerica.com%2Fcontent%2F123%2Fdoctor-who-video.jsp%3Fbclid%3D26821308001%26bctid%3D58542718001&playerID=22881351001&domain=embed&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="406" height="352" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...Specials/13177
Old 01-06-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I can see myself losing it while watching these extras.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...Specials/13177
Ditto.
Old 01-06-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

US Covers (DVD & Blu-Ray):

Old 01-06-10, 09:37 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Can't wait for the Blu-Ray. I watched the "End of Time" in HD and it looked quite good, big step up from the first four seasons.
Old 01-19-10, 10:15 AM

According to the Restoration Team website, the next classic release (after Peladon Tales) will be Masque of Mandragora. I've always felt this was a rather mediocre episode, but the completist in me will probably have me get it. Personally, I've been hoping for a release of Sunmakers and Face of Evil... the Leela era is my all-time favorite run of the series (Underworld being the only non-excellent story of that run, in my opinion).
Old 01-21-10, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Gallifrey Base:

Three new classic stories are due to be released in North America on 4th May according to Warner Home Video. These are the two third Doctor Pleadon stories, The Curse of Peladon and Monster of Peladon as well as the fourth Doctor story The Masque of Mandragora.

Unlike the UK release, the Peladon stories will be released as two separate titles rather than a box set

Last edited by The Valeyard; 01-21-10 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-21-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I don't mind stories like that being separated if there's other stories in between them. I bought that one boxset with the Silurians and the other sea-critters and I split them out on my shelf since I keep mine in story# order.
Old 01-27-10, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DREAMLAND - May 4, 2010 Region 1

The animated story Dreamland will be be released in North America on 4th May. The 45 minute story was originally made for the BBC's interactive service.

The story features the vocal talents of David Tennant, Georgia Moffett, David Warner, Stuart Milligan and Clark Peters and is set in the infamous alien hotspot Roswell. It is described by writer Phil Ford as 'Doctor Who meets a Fifties monster B-movie'.

Like the UK release, the DVD will be part of a two disc set and will feature the three documentaries looking back at the last five years of Doctor Who, Doctor Who's Greatest Moments, which were shown in the UK last summer.

The DVD is released in the UK on 1st February.

May 4th is going to be a very expensive day for Doctor Who fans.
Old 01-28-10, 02:57 PM

^^^^^^^
Was Dreamland shown on tv anywhere already? Or is anyone planning to get the UK release on Feb 1? I'd be interested in reading reviews on this to help me decide if its worth getting as a blind buy. One question for any would-be reviewers: how does it compare to the previous animated release "Infinite Quest"? I was a bit disappointed with that one. Thanks in advance for any reviews!
Old 01-28-10, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by moonraker
^^^^^^^
Was Dreamland shown on tv anywhere already? Or is anyone planning to get the UK release on Feb 1? I'd be interested in reading reviews on this to help me decide if its worth getting as a blind buy. One question for any would-be reviewers: how does it compare to the previous animated release "Infinite Quest"? I was a bit disappointed with that one. Thanks in advance for any reviews!
I haven't seen it, but have heard reviews. The animation is not the same style as in Infinite Quest (think more like South Park style), but the story is tighter. It's not a "quest" type story like Infinite Quest or Keys of Marinus.

And, as far as I know, neither animated story has been shown in the US.
Old 01-28-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it via "alternate methods." The animation is pretty crappy in my opinion. It's like bad computer game animation. Story is pretty traditional Doctor Who - Run, captured, escape. Run, captured, escape. But it's still entertaining.

And it's Doctor Who. Must own.
Old 01-28-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by moonraker
Was Dreamland shown on tv anywhere already? Or is anyone planning to get the UK release on Feb 1?
From the Press Release:

The production was originally available online (at British websites) this past November, as a 12-minute premiere episode and five more 6-minute episodes. It then ran on television in the U.K. (on BBC 2 and BBC HD) as a single hour-long animated special in early December, just three weeks before the Christmas broadcast debut of Doctor Who - The End of Time, Part 1.
Old 02-11-10, 02:58 PM

Not mention that the R2's would probably look even better since it is mastered in in 576 instead of 480 (though you do need a region free player and monitor that can accept the 50hz)
Yes, mastered at 576 (which is pretty close to the 625 lines of the original quad tapes), plus no standards conversion and cheaper prices, which all adds up to the best way to go for me, especially as I'm planning a new TV purchase soon and I'm going to make sure that TV is multi-system (with a pure PAL output). There are a few US models in the LCD sets that do this, you just have to do your research.

Im already invested in the R1s or else I would totally switch over....
I had initially resisted because of that, too, but I'd only purchased about 15-20 of the US titles before I decided to switch. If I were going to wait for sales over here, I'd be forever building my collection. I've been picking up titles right and left now, though, with the cheap prices on the UK sets (especially the multi-story boxsets...just bought Trial of a Timelord for the equivalent of US$11.00!).

Although price is a major motivator to me, it's also being able to have them in the best quality possible (unconverted PAL to be displayed on a PAL-capable monitor) that sealed the deal.
Old 03-12-10, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Gallifrey Base:

No Beatles Outside Europe

It has been revealed that the short clip of The Beatles, featured in episode one of The Chase, will only be included on the Region 2 DVD's and will be removed from the masters of the discs produced for regions outside Europe.

The short clip of the group playing Ticket to Ride, was taken from the BBC's Top of the Pops programme, and features as part of the sequence where the TARDIS crew look at various events from history on the Time-Space Visualiser.

The music is covered by a blanket agreement for use in the UK but this does not apply to the rest of the world. It may have been possible for the same masters to have been used for the international copies, as there is nothing in the BBC paperwork to indicate that the clip of the Beatles exists in the story. However the distributors have received so many queries about the inclusion of the clip that it became impossible to ignore its presence, so it has been removed from the edit.

In other DVD news, online retailers in the States are reporting the Region 1 DVD release of the animated story Dreamland has been pushed back to October.

Time to get Region 2.
Old 03-12-10, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,411 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
From Gallifrey Base:

Time to get Region 2.
Time to punch the US record labels squarely in the garbonzos.
Old 03-14-10, 09:37 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Time to punch the US record labels squarely in the garbonzos.
It's just stupid...the clip is a few seconds and it's a part of British history; the Beatles on Doctor Who. Give them the damn clip for free!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.