Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Old 04-03-11, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The One & Only DOCTOR WHO DVD Thread (8th Incarnation)

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Did you buy those all at once?
Haha, no, not all at once. The majority of them were purchased at various times last year. I did, however, purchase 23 DVDs in the past few days from Barnes & Noble, although three of them aren't listed above since I got them tonight, after the post.
Old 04-04-11, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. That Paradise Towers cover is pretty dreadful.

Series 6, Part 1 news from Region 2. Region 1 should be announced shortly.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/04...-1-uk-dvd.html
Ah, but has it ever been confirmed that there will even be a Region 1/Region A release of these "vanilla" split-season sets? That news article (and the one on TVShowsOnDVD) does not say a single thing about the USA as far as home video as regards these split-sets (the 'vanillas'), just the UK. The news article on TVShowsOnDVD just seems to be some wishful optimism, from what I can tell. There's no concrete evidence of a US release for this within the text of the article itself.

The UK have gotten 'vanilla' (bare-bones releases shortly after broadcast) DVDs of all seasons since the show was revived. The US, however, has not gotten them apart for the Series 1 sets (and those were probably only because of the audio problems with the complete series 1 set as several fans--myself included--preferred the 2.0 mix to the ballsed-up 5.1 version on that particular set).

I'd be very surprised if the two 'split' releases come out in the US. I think it's far more likely that we'll just get the 'big' box at the end of the year, like normal.
Old 04-04-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

There is no confirmation for Region 1/A as of yet. Just some speculation on TVShowonDVD that we may see it in August.

But knowing there's a complete set coming later on, I wouldn't pick up the vanilla release anyways. I'm already slightly miffed about picking up the single Christmas episode for any extras that will be missing on the box set.
Old 04-04-11, 11:18 PM

Word of the wise to any would-be importers of vanilla Series Six Blu-Rays: beginning with series five (perhaps due to demand/complaints from UK fans over the previous releases being 'standards converted'), Doctor Who Region B Blu-Rays are now encoded in their original broadcast HD format of 1080i/50hz, meaning that they are incompatible with a sizable number of US Blu-Ray players and/or HDTVs that lack the capability of outputting the 60hz signal or converting it to a US-compatible 50hz (and yes, the PS3 is on the list of incompatible players).

US viewers who don't possess the proper equipment should wait for a US release (which will be converted to the US-friendly 60hz format).
Old 04-14-11, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does BBC Video count Shada as a serial in its numbering? Because I'm looking at my list and the backs of DVDs and everything after The Creature From The Pit is off.
Old 04-14-11, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes they do. The plan is to eventually release it on DVD to fill the empty slot.

The DVD "Story" numbering gets a bit jumbled when you factor in Shada and The Trial of a Time Lord. For a long time, The Trial of a Time Lord was considered one big story. But as time has gone on (and as seen on the numbering on the back of the DVDs), it's now considered 4 separate adventures.
Old 04-14-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes they do. The plan is to eventually release it on DVD to fill the empty slot.

The DVD "Story" numbering gets a bit jumbled when you factor in Shada and The Trial of a Time Lord. For a long time, The Trial of a Time Lord was considered one big story. But as time has gone on (and as seen on the numbering on the back of the DVDs), it's now considered 4 separate adventures.
Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, I had noticed that about Trial Of A Time Lord too and had accounted for it, but Shada threw me off.

--

I'm actually relatively new to Doctor Who, but from what I've seen so far I really like the franchise. I started off watching all of the First and Second Doctor stories that I was able to get on DVD and then moved on to the Ninth and Tenth Doctors. Now I'm just going back and filling in the rest. I've watched a few random stories here and there in the meantime, but I'm trying to get a decent number of a particular Doctor so I can watch them in a row and not have to skip around too much.

Thankfully, Barnes & Noble has had some good coupons and sales to help me put a dent in the collection. It just sucks they're so expensive and a lot of the stories aren't on DVD yet.
Old 04-15-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
a lot of the stories aren't on DVD yet.
Actually we're nearing the end (relatively) of what's available to be released.

The First Doctor – William Hartnell (1 scheduled, 4 remaining)
The Second Doctor – Patrick Troughton (2 remaining)
The Third Doctor – Jon Pertwee (2 scheduled, 7 remaining)
The Fourth Doctor – Tom Baker (6 remaining)
The Fifth Doctor – Peter Davison (2 scheduled, 0 remaining)
The Seventh Doctor – Sylvester McCoy (2 scheduled, 3 remaining)

Check out the pdf included in my sig for a detailed list.
Old 04-15-11, 10:22 AM

Does know when the R2 Revisitations DVD's will be getting stateside releases?
Old 04-15-11, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Actually we're nearing the end (relatively) of what's available to be released.

The First Doctor – William Hartnell (1 scheduled, 4 remaining)
The Second Doctor – Patrick Troughton (2 remaining)
The Third Doctor – Jon Pertwee (2 scheduled, 7 remaining)
The Fourth Doctor – Tom Baker (6 remaining)
The Fifth Doctor – Peter Davison (2 scheduled, 0 remaining)
The Seventh Doctor – Sylvester McCoy (2 scheduled, 3 remaining)
You're right. Comparatively speaking, there aren't many more left. I should have better explained what I meant; there's still a decent number that are available and haven't made their way to DVD yet, but that there are a lot that probably won't ever get a DVD release because they're lost. It was also sort of in reference to my preference of watching things in order (thus starting with William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton), but being unable to watch all of the other Doctor Who episodes in order since not everything that's available has been released yet.

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Check out the pdf included in my sig for a detailed list.
Thanks for the reference to the .pdf in your signature. I actually created an Excel Spreadsheet of my own a while back for keeping track of Doctor Who on DVD.

Last edited by kstublen; 04-15-11 at 01:15 PM.
Old 04-15-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

What are they going to do with Shada? Just release what's completed like those Lost Episode sets for Hartnell/Troughton?
Old 04-15-11, 04:41 PM

Shada was sort of "finished" in the 90's with Tom Baker serving as a narrator in between clips of edited together footage.

Also, Paul McGann did it as an audio in the 90's.
Old 04-15-11, 04:46 PM

Post your Who Collection...

Here's mine.

First Doctor

The Beginning Box Set
+ An Unearthly Child
+ The Daleks
+ Edge of Destruction
The Ark

Third Doctor

Spearhead from Space
Inferno
Curse of Peladon
The Green Death
Monster of Peladon

Fourth Doctor

Pyramid of Mars
Brain of Morbius
Seeds of Doom
Deadly Assassin
Key of Time Collection
+ The Ribos Operation
+ Pirate Planet
+ Stones of Blood
+ Androids of Tara
+ Power of Kroll
+ The Armageddon Factor
City of Death
Creature from the Pit
New Beginnings Collection
+ Keeper of Traken
+ Logopolis

Fifth Doctor

+ Castrovalva
Black Orchid
Kinda
Earthshock
Snakedance
Black Guardian Trilogy
+ Mawdryn Undead
+ Terminus
+ Enlightenment
The King's Demons
Planet of Fire
Caves of Androzani

Sixth Doctor

Trial of a Time Lord
+ Mysterious Planet
+ Mindwarp
+ Terror of the Vervoids
+ Ultimate Foe

Seventh Doctor

Remembrance of the Daleks

Eighth Doctor

Doctor Who: The Enemy Within (TV Movie)

Ninth Doctor

Complete Series One

Tenth Doctor

Planet of the Dead BD

Eleventh Doctor

Complete Series 5 BD
The Christmas Carol BD
Old 04-15-11, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BasementArt
Does know when the R2 Revisitations DVD's will be getting stateside releases?
My guess is we won't start seeing them until we get toward the end of the release line. There are still a ton of "new" releases we're waiting for.

On another note - 2|entertain wants your commentary for HAPPINESS PATROL, GREATEST SHOW IN THE GALAXY and DRAGONFIRE.

2entertain's @classicdw Twitter feed is running an exciting opportunity for fans to feature on upcoming DVD commentaries! Simply record your question along with your name and where you're from (city / town only - no addresses!). And upload it to this group: http://me.lt/1o0L6

We'll pick our favourites and feature them in upcoming commentary recordings. The ACTUAL RECORDINGS! Hear your voice on a DVD. :-)

Entrants must by over 18. Please ensure you speak slowly and clearly.

The stories we're asking for your questions on are HAPPINESS PATROL, GREATEST SHOW IN THE GALAXY and DRAGONFIRE. Get thinking! Submissions close 22 April 2011. Good luck!

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doc...#ixzz1JeV38Pus

Last edited by The Valeyard; 04-15-11 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-17-11, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

but that there are a lot that probably won't ever get a DVD release because they're lost
Actually you can watch the lost episodes in reconstructed format through a site of passionate (albeit crazy) fans who've brought them to life the closer we'll ever see I think.
They use wathever footage is left (a second here, 3 there, a mnute here, an episode there) plus set photos, home-made computer special effects etc, and lay it all down on the complete and cleaned surviving audio tracks of all those lost stories. It's pretty amazing. It's like a photoplay taking life with the original audio. If you're a real die-hard fan and want to see everything than that's it.
These are not official releases (BBC should release them I think, they are as good as what they did with the tenth planet missing episode) so they used to be available free in VHS only but maybe that has changed...
Here's their site

http://www.recons.com/

I have them all and its certainly nice to see the lost stuff. Marco Polo in color is fun too...
Old 04-17-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never seen any of the black and white Doctor Whos----what are some good ones that are good stories AND very good picture quality on the DVD release? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Actually you can watch the lost episodes in reconstructed format through a site of passionate (albeit crazy) fans who've brought them to life the closer we'll ever see I think.
They use wathever footage is left (a second here, 3 there, a mnute here, an episode there) plus set photos, home-made computer special effects etc, and lay it all down on the complete and cleaned surviving audio tracks of all those lost stories. It's pretty amazing. It's like a photoplay taking life with the original audio. If you're a real die-hard fan and want to see everything than that's it.
These are not official releases (BBC should release them I think, they are as good as what they did with the tenth planet missing episode) so they used to be available free in VHS only but maybe that has changed...
Here's their site

I have them all and its certainly nice to see the lost stuff. Marco Polo in color is fun too...
Hmm...that's pretty interesting. Thanks for posting. Looks like in order to watch them I'd have to send in VHS tapes, but that's a small price to pay. It's a shame they don't offer them on DVD, but I can understand why they don't. Still, wouldn't be that hard to get one of those VHS-to-DVD converters and make your own DVDs once you had the VHS. When I have some time over the summer I might read through this and try to get a few and see how it goes.

I imagine the BBC doesn't mind these types of releases either since people will still buy the official releases and I imagine it helps to uncover lost serials.
Old 04-17-11, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,943 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I've never seen any of the black and white Doctor Whos----what are some good ones that are good stories AND very good picture quality on the DVD release? Thanks in advance.
Tomb of the Cybermen (2nd Doctor) is one of the best.
Old 04-17-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Here's their site

HA! I use to be in the circle of tape distributors for some of these reconstructions back in the early 90s. Someone would send me a VHS tape, I would dupe the story and send it back to them.

Man, that brings back memories.
Old 04-18-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never seen any of the black and white Doctor Whos----what are some good ones that are good stories AND very good picture quality on the DVD release?
I like Daleks invasion of earth and War Machines and the sillier Time Meddler with Hartnell and War Games, Ice Warriors and Seeds of Death with Troughton. Mind Robber is also fun although a little more childish than others...

Man, that brings back memories.
Good ones I hope!!!
Old 04-18-11, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An Unearthly Child
The Rescue/The Romans
The Time Meddler
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Mind Robber
Old 04-18-11, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the b & w recommendations, guys---I will check some of those out.
Old 04-19-11, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the b & w recommendations, guys---I will check some of those out.
Keep in mind that watching B & W 60s era Doctor Who (especially the Hartnell episodes) are like watching televised stage plays.

For the most part.

I'm not knocking them. Hell, I enjoy them a lot. I'm currently doing a marathon of the entire series and am currently at Troughton's last story. And am sad to see the era close.

Just have some patience. It's good stuff.
Old 04-19-11, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,047 Likes on 863 Posts

RIP Elisabeth Sladen in the Doctor Who season 6 thread

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/588...23-11-a-3.html
Old 04-19-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Incredibly depressed over this unexpected news. The Sontaran Experiment was the first episode of Doctor Who I ever watched when I was 9 (or 10) years old. Sarah Jane was the first companion I associated with the show.

I didn't watch another Doctor Who story until The Five Doctors (broadcast during a PBS pledge drive sometime in December 1983). Sarah Jane was there and immediately cemented in my mind that she was "the" companion. Others come and go but Sarah Jane would always be back.

I became a hardcore Who fan from that point on. Picking up every magazine, book, VHS and toy I could get my hands on. When the show went off the air and the fan "spin-offs" became readily available, Sarah Jane was along for the ride (with the Brigadier in Downtime).

When the show returned, to see Elisabeth Sladen back and still looking amazing after all the time that had passed brought a tear to my late-30s year old eye.

Being one of the only companions to get a spin-off special (K-9 and Company) then her own series (The Sarah Jane Adventures) is a testament to both the actress and the character she portrayed. Elisabeth Sladen (along with Nicholas Courtney) were Doctor Who. The Doctor changes from time to time and the story will always continue but his companions define the continuity of the show more so than it's villains. Anyone can climb into a Dalek or dress like a Cyberman. Even K-9 was voiced by someone else for a whole season.

There was only one Sarah Jane. And I'll miss her.

RIP Ms. Sladen. The universe is a little darker without you.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.