Reload this Page >

Ed Wood SE...cancelled?

Community
Search

Ed Wood SE...cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-04, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that don't want to sign up for Video business online.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article...5&catType=NEWS

Quote-------------------------------------------------------------------------
FEB. 2 | Buena Vista Home Entertainment has pulled the planned Feb. 3 release of its DVD special edition of Ed Wood, leaving some retailers stuck with product to return and others wondering why the title was yanked so close to street date.

"Distribution dates get changed all the time," a BVHE spokesman said, adding that the studio is looking for a better date to release the DVD.

Trans World Entertainment's executive VP of merchandising, marketing and inventory management Fred Fox said he had been told the title was pulled because of a rights issue.

Another source told VB that director Tim Burton was unhappy with the DVD extras. Burton's publicist could not be reached for comment by press time.

Buena Vista said the DVD release is being postponed, not canceled, and that no changes are expected on the disc, which includes a commentary by Burton and actor Martin Landau, deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes footage hosted by actor Johnny Depp, a cross-dressing retrospective and a featurette.

Musicland Stores and its Suncoast Motion Picture Company had begun taking preorders on the title and some had already received product, which they were told to return, a spokeswoman said. Trans World's FYE stores had also received the DVDs, said Fox.

Buena Vista wasn't able to recall all copies. On eBay, sellers were advertising the DVDs as recalled and pricing them as high as $150.

It's the second time the Ed Wood DVD has been delayed. It was first scheduled for release in late 2002.
Old 02-03-04, 09:40 PM

Ok, who's the jerk in Erie, PA that snatched both copies at Borders...dissappointing I got beat out in this city as I called and visited every store that sold DVDs after school today, if it was available at Borders at 3:00-3:45 im going to be upset and actually regret ever getting detention for the first time in my life.
Old 02-03-04, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by rice4kidsinasia
Ok, who's the jerk in Erie, PA that snatched both copies at Borders...dissappointing I got beat out in this city as I called and visited every store that sold DVDs after school today, if it was available at Borders at 3:00-3:45 im going to be upset and actually regret ever getting detention for the first time in my life.
It wasn't me.
When I went to Borders at about 7pm they told me that they had two copies and that withing the first few minutes of the store's opening, someone came in and bought them both.
Old 02-03-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK Boston, at least the North Shore, here's what I've found after a 14 hour search...

Best Buy: Danvers & Saugus - 40 & 45 on order, no idea why they haven't come in.
Borders: Peabody - Sold the only 2 they got in as soon as they opened.
Blockbuster: Peabody (114) - Said they had a bunch but couldn't sell them. Wouldn't even take an extra $20 to get me one.
Newburry Comics: Woburn & Saugus - Won't be carrying them. No expected date.
Circiut City: Burlington - None in stock.
Laser Exchange: Waltham - None ordered.
FYE: Danvers - None, but taking names if they come in tomorrow.
Hollywood Video: Saugus, Malden, Medford & Arlington - None.
Sam Goody: Peabody - Sent back due to licensing issues.
Sam Goody: Saugus - None in stock at this time.
Strawberries: Stoneham - None, but taking names for this weeks shipments.
Blockbuster: Stoneham, N. Andover, Saugus & Wakefield - None.

Blockbuster: Lawrence - HAD ONE LEFT!!! I scooped it up at around 9:45pm and completed my search.

Happy hunting boys & girls...
Old 02-03-04, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We'll see about the changes. Honestly, I am interested in seeing the movie since I have yet to watch it in it all the way through.

Good for the ebays who are getting what they are getting. Quick way to make money.

Great to see those here on DVDTalk (at least most) doing a cool thing and helping out their fellow traders.
Old 02-03-04, 10:45 PM

Oklahoma City looks mighty pretty... except when it comes to Ed Wood DVDs. The trifecta of Borders/Best Buy/Barnes and Noble proved fruitless at lunchtime (either due to pulling them in the morning or not getting them in the first place)... and a variety of evening phone calls to FYE, Wherehouse, et al resulted in only squat. I know lcnickell posted about thoroughly canvassing the local Blockbusters, so I'm not even bothering with that route. If anyone comes across a lead, please let me know. Otherwise... to the victors go the (angora) spoils.
Old 02-03-04, 10:50 PM

I checked FYE,Suncoast,Borders,Blockbusters,BestBuy and Circuit City. Then I called a friend in Austin Texas to check thier Bestbuy, but, no luck. I went to E-Bay to watch the bidding . One went from $66 with 2 min 17 sec left to $127.50 . I was checking every 5 seconds. What fun. Anyway I scanned down to page 4 and got a buy it now for $49.99 from a 100% man. Worth it to me to stop looking. But how nutty to bid so high when there are so many buy it now's.
Old 02-03-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone check the baltimore county area, particularly the owings mills area.
Old 02-03-04, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't doubt that this DVD will be re-released within the year (perhaps exactly as is), but it makes no sense to pull a DVD this close to the release day when 1) you've already recalled the DVD once, 2) a lot of stores already received their shipments (with some advertising the DVD), and 3) Khalid has been waiting for the DVD since getting a player. It's like, hey, let's tease him twice! Well, I got tired of waiting, so I'm glad I have my copy. I don't have any interesting story to tell, as I pretty much only visited and called a couple places today, looking for a second copy for a friend. Perhaps when I don't have work in a couple hours, I'll post my completely unexciting journey. But for now, I'm off to curl up with a nice pink sweater...

Also, if this DVD is released in a mere couple weeks, I'll feel quite silly. But, ya know what, someone out there paid $204 for the DVD! That makes the $26 w/ shipping I paid seem like chump change.

K
Old 02-03-04, 11:44 PM

Hey HighSpeedOnIce, If you're in Erie I doubt we'll get any copies...as far as stores even knowing that it has been recalled they are clueless aside from Borders and Media Play which was a surprise. I spent the past 4 days contacting Best Buy by either phone or I was in store, but as you know the employees working in the DVD department aren't well informed. They didn't even know if they had Schindler's List and found out it was releasing but didn't even have a date for somebody. But as for getting it here, I believe our only chance is Best Buy or Circuit City because they said they have them on order and should be getting them within the next 2 days, but that is a slim chance and again they aren't well informed. As for Circuit City, they're in the same boat and they said they had tags and everything ready for it but never received it. But if you happen to find a copy in the area, please gimme an email or something as I'm anxiously looking for a copy. By the way, Blockbusters didn't get them here either.
Old 02-04-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got a chance to see it last night, and hopefully I'll get my copy by the end of the week.
Old 02-04-04, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Easy now. There is no need to get excited about this title.

For those who has a Multi-region player Ed Wood SE has been released both in Region 2 and 4.
Old 02-04-04, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love these multi-region threadcraps. And the deleted scenes are exclusive to this recalled edition, by the way.
Old 02-04-04, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I gave up on this yesterday after looking through about 10 B&M's, I get to Borders at about noon. I ask if they have it. She says yes. She takes me to it. It's not there. She looks puzzled. Asks another employee. Employee says she pulled them about 3 minutes ago after she read the email from corporate. She said if I'd gotten there about 5 minutes ago, I would've scored it. I leave distressed. I watch Lost In Translation instead
Old 02-04-04, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love these multi-region threadcraps.
Isn't it extra satisfying when they're also wrong?
Old 02-04-04, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned (only read about 11 of the 41 pages). I speculate that EW will be released shortly after the Oscars. Since Depp and Murray are competing for Best Actor, Buena Vista will wait to add "Starring Oscar Nominee Johnny Depp and Best Actor winner Bill Murray." We'll probably see this release in April. Then you can pick up a not substantially different Ed Wood for the low low price of $14.98 at Wal-mart.
Old 02-04-04, 10:21 AM

Just got my additional copy from Amazon this morning! Freakishly fast, considering I only received a shipping notice yesterday.
Old 02-04-04, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by Wannabe
Forgive me if this has already been mentioned (only read about 11 of the 41 pages). I speculate that EW will be released shortly after the Oscars. Since Depp and Murray are competing for Best Actor, Buena Vista will wait to add "Starring Oscar Nominee Johnny Depp and Best Actor winner Bill Murray." We'll probably see this release in April. Then you can pick up a not substantially different Ed Wood for the low low price of $14.98 at Wal-mart.
Personally I find it very hard to believe that they would pull a title for the second time so close to release date just to add a blurb or two. There has to be something else fairly substantial to cause them to do this a second time.

IMO all signs point to a rights issue (which would really be ridiculous since isn't that the reason for the first recall?). If it was a glitchy disc they would just let it release and deal with a replacement program, which would probably be cheaper for them in the long run). The only reason I can see making any sense would be a legal issue to make them recall at the last minute.
Old 02-04-04, 11:23 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by fnordboy
If it was a glitchy disc they would just let it release and deal with a replacement program, which would probably be cheaper for them in the long run).

It's not a glitchy disc. I watched my copy last night and it was perfect.
Old 02-04-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
It would have been pretty simple for Disney to ship out stickers with the Oscar nominee info for retailers to apply themselves.
Old 02-04-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by majorjoe23
It would have been pretty simple for Disney to ship out stickers with the Oscar nominee info for retailers to apply themselves.
I agree. Holding this release for a simple delay is not cost effective for anyone. Besides, they would have more then likely asked stores to HOLD THEM off the floor, not send them back.

By sending them back, I think this is bigger then a delayed release date. This sounds much more like a legal battle then a defect or "better street date" excuse.
Old 02-04-04, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the price on these DVDs will actually go up in a little while. Pending a new release announcement by Buena Vista, Ed Wood will be much more scarce after the initial flood of "quick return" resellers are done with their supplies. IMO all the BINs of $60 and less right now are a bargain, relatively speaking. Of course when it's eventually released for $15, $60 will seem absurd. But in the interim, when the price gets close to $100 again, people who paid $60 will be happy.
Old 02-04-04, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cosmic Bus, you actually got a copy from Amazon?? DAAAAAAMMMN!!!!!!!! I had it on preorder and when Amazon pulled it from their site I canceled it! Shit. That'll teach me. I believe I had it from about 14 bucks there.
Old 02-04-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Evolution
I think the price on these DVDs will actually go up in a little while. Pending a new release announcement by Buena Vista, Ed Wood will be much more scarce after the initial flood of "quick return" resellers are done with their supplies. IMO all the BINs of $60 and less right now are a bargain, relatively speaking. Of course when it's eventually released for $15, $60 will seem absurd. But in the interim, when the price gets close to $100 again, people who paid $60 will be happy.
My feelings exactly. I did my initial investment in a couple copies, and now comes patience. The eBayers en masse will slowly run out of them, and when they do, I'll be waiting....
Old 02-04-04, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fnordboy
Personally I find it very hard to believe that they would pull a title for the second time so close to release date just to add a blurb or two. There has to be something else fairly substantial to cause them to do this a second time.
I'm not saying that's the reason why it was pulled...I'm saying that with Murray and Depp as Oscar nominees it would make financial sense to quickly fix the "legal issue" and finally release the "corrected" disc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.