Reload this Page >

Ed Wood SE...cancelled?

Community
Search

Ed Wood SE...cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-04, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm up here in Canada (west coast) and there are no signs of Ed Wood at all up here. I asked at a whole bunch of different places and none of them received any shipments. :-(
Old 02-03-04, 05:56 PM

Anyone have any luck in Michigan?
Old 02-03-04, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Professor Frink
Sorry, but I don't want to read 29 pages
Good One!
Old 02-03-04, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question for anyone getting them from half.com (returnwarehouse)...

1) Did your package have the Touchstone mark on the outer wrapper? The one I bought at Blockbuster did, but this one did not.

2) Did the top case sticker seem odd? My Blockbuster-bought one says "DVD Ed Wood Special Edition" with 29572 under it. The one from half.com has the DVD logo with H9032 under it, and it says "ED WOOD SE" with the 29572 under it.
Old 02-03-04, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by typecase
Here's my adventure:

After days of calling around, I found one at a Blockbuster here in Toledo, Ohio but they said they'd only sell it to me on today so I had them put it on hold ... or so I thought. Some lurker out there must have also called around and somehow managed to buy the copy I had on hold an hour before I got there! That pretty much dashed my hopes for getting a copy. Nonetheless, I manned the phone during lunch hoping for release day luck:

FYE: Nope, Standard recall line
Barnes and Noble:: Clueless but no dice
Target: Nope
Walmart: Nada
Two Best Buys: Nothing
Circuit City: Nothing
Borders in another town: "Nothing on the shelf"
Media Play: Said they had plenty in for $19.99! I couldn't believe it!

I drove over there immediately and asked a CSR where they were. He pointed me to them at the front of the store and there were tons of copies, all shiny and shrink wrapped. And literally just as I was reaching for one, a guy with a red store shirt came and snatched them all up. It was surreal. Almost in slow motion I reached for the last copy he hadn't grabbed. I waited for a reaction but he just looked at me. I knew they were pulling them. Not wanting to make a big deal, I quietly walked over to the cash register to pay. This lady in front of me was taking forever, paying with a check. I thought for sure someone was going to ask me to surrender my copy so that 6 minute or so wait seemed like eternity. When I finally got to the checkout lady, she rang me up. It came up as $27.99. Before I could say anything she asked me if I had expected it to be $19.99 and she went about trying to change the price. Just then, the same red shirt guy who snatched up all the Ed Wood DVDs told her to stop. He gave me some poor excuse about how they were only supposed to sell it tommorow(!) and I'd have to wait until then or pay full price if I wanted it. To his surprise, I said fine and almost trembling, walked out with my copy!

Epilogue:
It turns out that they did pull it (they weren't caught up on the memo) and they were trying to discourage me from buying it. What was once there an hour ago is probably on its way back to Buena Vista to get shredded. Sad but true
OMG! This is a funny story Especially that part about the trembling
Old 02-03-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great story typecase !
Old 02-03-04, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by The Valeyard
Went to my local Suncoast and picked up my second copy of the DVD.

The girl behind the counter (the same one I offered dinner to) said it was a good thing I paid for it in advance or I never would have been able to pick it up.

The "ED WOOD" space in the new release wall was empty and she said they were only giving out the pre-paid orders. Everything else was going back to distribution.

If you pre-ordered, there's a good chance you got it.

I'm gonna wait until the craziness dies down before putting the DVD up in the exchange forum. Things should level out by then.

I watched the movie yesterday and saw none of the problems mentioned above (I have a Sony). I LOVE the menus! And the sound is surprisingly GREAT!

Thanks to everyone who mentioned Blockbuster and Tarnower who gave me the idea to Pre-Order it at Suncoast (and for the glowing comments on my storytelling abilities).

Good luck to all!

Andrew
Glad you were able to be successful. Ironically, the Suncoast that I prepaid at had to send all copies back. However, I did snag one at an FYE in the same mall. That's a backup copy I now own (bought the first at Blockbuster on Sunday).

BTW, for those in Palm Beach County, there were four copies left at the FYE in Palm Beach Mall.

And, yes, Valeyard, I also love the menus. Especially when you choose a category and the screen in the theater goes white and all the patrons start booing and throwing popcorn boxes at it.
Old 02-03-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For anyone in the Houston area who wants to pick up Ed Wood, the Worst Buy on Hwy 6 had about 15 copies this evening. I got one for $19.99 which sure beats bidding on eBay.
Old 02-03-04, 06:43 PM

I went into Sam Goody's for the heck of it today. Of course they didn't have the DVD but they did last week when I picked up my copy. I asked if they had any copies left and this is what the sales person told me:

Him: Oh we had to pull that off the shelves and ship it back to the company. There's some sort of glitch on the DVD
Me: Is that so?
Him: Yeah, but we are supposed to get a new version of it in next week that's all ok. You can pre-order it if you would like
Me: Nope, that's ok. Thanks for the info.

I swear, the story about the disc changes more than Bush's explanation of what happened to the WMDs! It's comical at this point.
Old 02-03-04, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by J.P.V.
Waiting for the recall number, DO NOT PUT BACK ON SHELF

yeah man! it's pretty funny. the guy who sold it didnt see me take it off and said that they only got one in. he went on to say that it wasn't on the shelf because the stock guys forgot to put a price tag on it...

by the way, blockbuster seems to get movies in VERY early. while i was there they had boxes full of movies that don't come out till the end of the month (Runaway Jury) and even some from march...wonder why they only got ONE Ed Wood...oh well

MG26
Old 02-03-04, 07:02 PM

Is this a good blind buy for $50? I haven't seen it but the collector inside me is screaming to pick it up.
Old 02-03-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$204 on ebay! Someone is going to have buyer's remorse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2294
Old 02-03-04, 07:11 PM

Anyone in the St. Louis area having any luck finding this DVD??
I did this afternoon, at Blockbuster near Chippewa & Kingshighway. I got the only copy. I only checked one other store, another nearby Blockbuster on Grand. The clerk at that store acted like he would've sold me one if they had it. Didn't try running around to Best Buys and Borders. If you do, and have luck, let me know! I've got a few friends who'd like this.

JiM T
Old 02-03-04, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by achau9598
Question for anyone getting them from half.com (returnwarehouse)...

1) Did your package have the Touchstone mark on the outer wrapper? The one I bought at Blockbuster did, but this one did not.

2) Did the top case sticker seem odd? My Blockbuster-bought one says "DVD Ed Wood Special Edition" with 29572 under it. The one from half.com has the DVD logo with H9032 under it, and it says "ED WOOD SE" with the 29572 under it.
1) No mine bought from returnwarehouse doesn't have the red BV mark on the outer wrapper.

2) Same as yours.

I guess they may come from different factories.
Old 02-03-04, 07:26 PM

"OK Boston, at least the North Shore, here's what I've found... Or haven't found."

What city do you live in? I hit a few of those spots between 11 and 3 without luck.
Old 02-03-04, 07:32 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by *RG3*
I swear, the story about the disc changes more than Bush's explanation of what happened to the WMDs! It's comical at this point.
The woman at Borders who wouldn't give me my reserved copy said the DVD wasn't available anywhere in the United States because of "political reasons." I just stared at her for a second and walked away.

And the clerk at Hollywood Video checked the computer and said the Ed Wood DVD was released quite awhile ago but wasn't in stock at the moment.

I'm not sure what planet some of these retail workers come from.
Old 02-03-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
I hit:

Fred Meyer
Blockbuster
Hollywood Video
Sam Goody
Borders

at lunch time.
No joy.
He shoots

He scores

3 copies at Wherehouse in Tanasbourne $27.99
Old 02-03-04, 07:44 PM

I called the area Borders, the clerk said they were sold-out.
B&N had nadda!
I stopped @ Best Buy. The clerk said they have 61 on order and check back in a few days. 61 seems to be an odd number.
I went to the CC across the street from Best Buy and clerk had no clue what I was talking about.
I did get a confirmation for one on half.com.
Old 02-03-04, 08:12 PM

So could it be that no Canadian retailers even got a shipment in.. what a drag. I checked some Blockbusters, Walmarts, Zellers, Futureshop during my day to see if I would be lucky but, turned up nothing. So I bought Gilligan's Island S1 to help get rid of my disappointment...

I'm up here in Canada (west coast) and there are no signs of Ed Wood at all up here. I asked at a whole bunch of different places and none of them received any shipments. :-(
Old 02-03-04, 08:19 PM

Anyone from New Jersey have any luck...i went to about 3 blockbusters, 2 best buys, a circuit city and a costco and couldn't find anything
Old 02-03-04, 08:29 PM

Ed Wood in NJ:

A friend picked up two of them at the Borders in Princeton but he put them on reserve and there was only one other copy that they had which was sold.
Old 02-03-04, 08:37 PM

Ed Wood in NJ Part Two:

Two copies in the West Orange BlockBuster, bought one for myself and one for a friend. They had no more, as far as I could tell.
Old 02-03-04, 08:46 PM

I called the Princeton Borders and the clerk said they did not receive any copies.
Old 02-03-04, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Professor Frink
Sorry, but I don't want to read 29 pages, so I'll ask it here:

Is there an official explanation yet? Just a brief explanation or a link would suffice.

Thanks.
There's a paper-thin official excuse ... check digitalbits.com today; it's on their frontpage.
Old 02-03-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Finally...score!

Just when I had resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to get this one on Ebay, I decided to try a Borders near my place for the hell of it. There it was-one copy sitting in their front display. I didn't even bother checking the actual DVD section-just grabbed it and got the hell out of dodge!

Best part was that it was only 19.99-glad I didn't have to pay full MSRP.

For those in the Chicago burbs, I got mine at the Bolingbrook Borders. Funny thing is, the online Borders site showed that this title was not in stock there. So it would appear that passing up stores based on their online availability may be a bad idea. This felt so good after I got thwarted at the La Grange Borders last night. Got the e-mail saying it was ready for pickup only to get there (after driving 30 minutes in the snow) for them to tell me they can't sell it. Didn't see any at the Wheaton store this morning, but they're always slow to stock new releases. The old lady that works media in the morning doesn't like me because I'm always in there on my way to work on Tuesday mornings asking for obscure titles.

Anyway, keep checking those Borders...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.