Ed Wood SE...cancelled?

Community
Search

Ed Wood SE...cancelled?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-04, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peabody MA:
Borders: The guy was on the phone as I walked in talking about the recall to another guy. After he hung up, another employee said "Wish they'd make us recall these Matrix discs..." Made me laugh.
Newburry Comics: Nadda.
Blockbuster: Nope.
Barns and Noble: The let me special order it and have it sent to my house in 3 to 8 days. 29.22 or something was the cost. Doubt it'll come.
Old 02-03-04, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by rabbit77
Any Chicago updates?
I had someone pick up the 1 copy the Arlington Heights BBV had.
Old 02-03-04, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by heimerSWT
Which Best Buy did you go to?
It wasn't the one by Ingram because I went there this morning. They said they didn't get any in and that the ad was a misprint.

I did however score mine at Blockbuster. Only one they had. It was the 5th one I stopped at. Borders had 2 in the back and the guys wouldn't sell it to me, even with my reserve I made online. Apparently 5 people came in before me asking about it.
Old 02-03-04, 03:33 PM

It was the one at agora parkway/forum
Old 02-03-04, 03:36 PM

if anyone from the Minnesota finds a extra copy, drop me a line, i have not had any luck. Realy would like to own this movie

- kthemmes
Old 02-03-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just got off the phone with my local Best Buy manager (Fullerton, CA).

He said that he has been getting calls all morning and that they found out two days ago that it was recalled, and that it never hit the floor.

He added that some stores in Texas received it (and confirmed by the posters here), but that it was the only state to do so.

This morning, first thing, I called two Borders (one local and one a but of a drive). The first told me about the recall immediately, and added that they didn't receive any anyway (might be a lie).

The second Borders I called said they had one and would put in on hold for me.

I immediately went and bought it with no problems and had her check the stock for any more. She said, after checking her computer, that they only received three (yesterday), and that one was sold at opening, I had one, and there was still one more, possibly in the back stockroom, which "might take a few days" before it comes out. I went to the DVD section and found the last one in the Drama section, and bought it immediately.

No mention of the recall at that point.

Then, after a couple hours, I called the store and asked (nonchalantly) if they had it. They said that they just got a "Message from Corporate" that it was beng recalled, and will not be available (of course, they didn't mention the fact that they already sold their three copies, anyway!).

After all the hype, I am glad I got a copy. It is a blind buy for me, and I am looking forward to it!
Old 02-03-04, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by NapoleonDynamit
It was the one at agora parkway/forum

thanks
Old 02-03-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
! Score at Borders in Clearwater, FL. Virtually the only copy left in this city from what I have heard.
Old 02-03-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hit:

Fred Meyer
Blockbuster
Hollywood Video
Sam Goody
Borders

at lunch time.
No joy.
Old 02-03-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This blows. I've been using every tip on the board and haven't found a copy. I love this film, but I'm not paying the scalpers $50.00 + for it on Ebay.....ARRRGGHHH.

Congrats to those that got yourselves one.
Old 02-03-04, 04:04 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Goy my shipping email from Amazon from the order I placed on Nov 22
Old 02-03-04, 04:08 PM

Just got back from my hunt AND I FOUND IT!

My local blockbuster had only ONE in stock, and the guy didn't know about the recall and said if I could find it on the shelf then I could buy it. Well I looked and looked and nothing. Then on one of the counters I saw it, next to a computer with a note attached to it. The note said "waiting for TR#, DO NOT PUT BACK ON SHELF." I am not TOO sure what that means, but in any case I swipped the note off of the DVD and grabbed it.

The guy was like, "I should have told you to look up there, I knew I saw it earlier. Sorry about that."

Anyways, I got it at blockbuster. I'm really excited and so I am about to go and watch it!

MG26
Old 02-03-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BTW: Some guy with over 1200 feedback just posted a ton on Ebay for Buy It Now of $52 with $5 shipping. Thats as probably as good as you are going to get.

With these discs, the best time will be to buy them now, in my opinion. They can only go up from here.

I really don' think as many as we think got out to stores - seems like if you worked real hard at it, you could get 1 or 2.

I got 3. I hid 2 in the store and plan on going back tomorrow and getting them.
Old 02-03-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by chanster
BTW: Some guy with over 1200 feedback just posted a ton on Ebay for Buy It Now of $52 with $5 shipping. Thats as probably as good as you are going to get.
Notice his location (Texas). Looks like he cleared out a Best Buy there. Suprised they didn't limit his quantity (unless he's on the inside).
Old 02-03-04, 04:34 PM

i just picked up a copy at blockbuster called them when they opened. they looked in the computer it said they received one copy and they held it for me. the other bb close by said they got 2 copies but haven't found it yet and are still unpacking. they said they'd put a copy away for me if they find it, i'll check back later. this is getting real hard to find right now. the borders i called said they got the recall notice and wouldn't sell it to me.
Old 02-03-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MovieGuy26
The note said "waiting for TR#, DO NOT PUT BACK ON SHELF." I am not TOO sure what that means.
Waiting for the recall number, DO NOT PUT BACK ON SHELF

I swipped the note off of the DVD and grabbed it.
Old 02-03-04, 04:40 PM

Anyone in the St. Louis area having any luck finding this DVD??

P.S. What is the record for the longest thread here at DVDTalk?
Old 02-03-04, 04:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems there's one in one of the DVDbargains subgroups tha's over 116 pages so this one has a while to go

BTW for anyone looking in the NOVA area the BB on Lee Hwy (between Glebe and 66) had a few copies out.
Old 02-03-04, 04:45 PM
Suspended

With these discs, the best time will be to buy them now, in my opinion. They can only go up from here.
i kinda agree, it hink the price will rise from here, and maybe dip in a few weeks to a month..

after today, all retailers are gonna be out,

if i didn't have any, i'd buy now why it's cheap, and readily available
Old 02-03-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lionel_Hutz
I was wondering the same thing...

No luck here, but I didn't try too hard, figured it was pointless with the stores in my area... Ah well, eventually I guess, I've been looking forward to this release for years... What's a few more months...

Last edited by Johnny Zhivago; 02-03-04 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-03-04, 04:58 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

South Portland/Lewiston, ME

I had one reserved at Borders but when I got there at 3:30, they wouldn't sell it to me. Tried Target, Blockbuster, and Hollywood Video. So I'm out. I guess I'll have to wait for the next release unless I find a reasonable one on eBay, since everyone's more interested in making a profit rather than spreading the film around.

Good luck to everyone else.
Old 02-03-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
I have always had pretty good luck finding rare discs, so I decided to try my luck this afternoon. In my immediate area (Hoover for those in the Birmingham area), I checked pretty much everywhere. No luck at Suncoast, Sam Goody, Movie Gallery, 2 Blockbusters, Best Buy, Wherehouse Music, and 2 Coconuts.

I was about to give up when I decided to stop at a larger Blockbuster. I asked the pimple-faced teens there if they got it in & they pointed to a shelf. There sat only one copy...it's silver cover glowing. The teens laughed at me & said that it was ridiculously priced at $29.99. They guy suggested I go to Best Buy to buy it. I quietly advised that Best Buy was out so I guess I will suffer the $30 price tag and go ahead & purchase it. The clerk there proceeded to bash the crazy price stating that it wasn't even a two disc special edition. He even said, "There's nothing special about this one." I mentioned that they must have sold a bunch of others but they said that it was the only copy the got in.

I wasn't happy paying 30 bucks but then again, I wasn't happy in the past about paying the $39.99 retail price for copies of Criterion's Hard-Boiled and The 400 Blows after they had gone out of print. (They more than paid for themselves later)

So I lucked out. The funniest explanation of the recall came from the manager at Suncoast. She said that they believe it is because Depp was nominated for an Academy Award and that Disney is going to recall all the discs, redo the packaging to state Depp's award nomination (or possible win...yeah, right) and then re-release the disc in April. Hmmm...thousands of dollars down the drain to state his nomination....don't think so.

I love this movie but I really want to know why this recall is being done before I crack it open. I really don't want a defective 30 dollar disc if a "fixed" one is going to come out soon.

But then again...if they take off extra features, this disc will look quite handsome next to my copy of the recalled Little Shop Of Horrors!
Old 02-03-04, 05:20 PM
Suspended

crazy, i just had 2 orders come through for me via the mail

i just posted on the exchange forum.. anyone have any trade lists let me know..

i'd like to offer these as i did earlier today for $35 shipped- but i sold the 3 i had so fast it wasn't even funny
Old 02-03-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Chew, TLWizard and Chapstik, thanks for the updates.

I called 3 Blockbusters in my area and hit the jackpot on the one that was on my way home for work. Only 1 copy there.(NW Hwy and Greenwood).

Cross off the one on Golf & Elmhurst (they received the recall letter 2 weeks ago and sent back their only copy) and Rand & Central (the clerk was curious why she got so many calls about it so I told her about the recall).

So call your Blockbusters Chicagoans!

Thanks TLWizard for the Blockbuster tip.
Old 02-03-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

It's hard to find one on the East Coast, but it is possible. Live in the DC metro area, and after coming up empty at Best Buy, Borders, Target and Walmart in the Fairfax area, I found ONE copy at the (guess where!) Blockbuster on Route 29 in Arlington. So keep trying...I bet there are some more out there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.