Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

"I Spit On Your Grave (Day of the Woman)" Reviews/Discussion - 2022 Horror Challenge

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

"I Spit On Your Grave (Day of the Woman)" Reviews/Discussion - 2022 Horror Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Day of the Woman
I Spit On Your Grave (1978)

Selected by jholmes

Additional Posters:
Spoiler:

IMDB ENTRY

TUBI

THE COMPLETE STREAMING GUIDE INCLUDING AD-SUPPORTED SERVICES

These "October Horror Movie Challenge" threads are for the discussion of the films in the 31 FILM SUBSET list.

The plan is for everyone to watch this film on the October day in the thread title, and to start discussing it the morning of the following day.
You may start discussion early if you want, but the preferred plan is for this to be as much of a group exercise as possible, with all of us viewing it "together" and discussing after.

Of course, you are totally encouraged to participate in these threads even if you haven't watched the movie on the designated day.
Even if you haven't watched it in years, or are not participating in the Horror Challenge, please feel free to chime in.

Spoiler tags aren't always used in here, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF POSSIBLE SPOILERS.

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

S
P
O
N
S
O
R
E
D

B
Y

2022 DISCUSSION | 2022 LISTS

Last edited by Chad; 09-26-22 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-05-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: "I Spit On Your Grave (Day of the Woman)" Reviews/Discussion - 2022 Horror Challenge

I Spit on Your Grave is one dirty seemingly mean spirited movie. I remember Joe Bob Briggs commentary on the DVD being really illuminating about how necessary the violence was for thematic purposes and that it was one of the best commentaries I've heard. IPoYG has a clever structure of having a 'slasher' from the killer's perspective with abbreviated but gorey kills segments and elongated justification scenes. The scenes are all awash in daylight rather than under cover of darkness deep within the woods. IPoYG staggers between being exploitation and empowerment in a fascinating way - the idea that Keaton uses her prowess as a weapon to lure and kill is one that seems as much out of male fantasy as subjugation might. Ultimately I don't think it ends up being as feminist as some have suggested because it was written/directed by a man, depends on visceral over exaggeration, and seems to suggest violence is an understandable necessary solution for real world gender dynamics/issues. The Matthew character is so over acted it takes away from the movie but I like the idea that his character is being bullied into acts rather than having real agency for them so the question of if he is a victim or an aggressor is a ripe out; and one that can apply to Keaton as well.

The UHD/4K video looks really vibrant and amazing to see ISoYG get such as stellar picture quality update.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 10-05-22 at 11:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (10-05-22)
Old 10-05-22, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: "I Spit On Your Grave (Day of the Woman)" Reviews/Discussion - 2022 Horror Challenge

I can't imagine this movie in 4K. It is such a filthy film that it almost begs to be watched on a worn-out VHS copy...which is the way I discovered it in the late 80's in high school.

My buddy and I laughed all the way through it as dumb 80's 15-year-olds would. I do wonder if many teens would treat it as a joke nowadays like we did back then.

I have seen it several times since then and just recently a year or two ago. I was not laughing the last time. I was utterly repulsed. My, how times and minds change! I don't plan on revisiting this time around or probably anytime soon in the future. Once every 10 to 15 years is about all I can stomach with this film.

I look forward to seeing any comments from people who have a first time viewing with this film. It would have to be a shock to their system!
Old 10-09-22, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

A friend was over the other night. I brought her some choices, and this was the one she watched. I laughed and warned that she chose the most infamous of the bunch. At the end, she looked at me and said, "That's it? I think we've seen worse here together in your living room." I don't know if I should feel proud or horrified that I've desensitized my friends so much.

But she liked it overall and enjoyed the revenge quite a bit. We actually ended up watching the Briggs commentary as well. If anyone hasn't listened to it, it's highly recommended.

In regards to the movie, it's simple but very effective. The rape scenes are still among the more uncomfortable ones I've seen. I think much of that goes to the strong performance from Keaton. She really sells it, but a couple of the male performances ooze a sleaziness that add to the effectiveness of the scenes, too.
Old 10-15-22, 08:01 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

A journey into the darkest sides of the human condition exploring man's animal instincts, rape and revenge. This film always illicits a big reaction from me and for that I give it alot of credit. The rape sequence still packs a punch 40 plus years later. The staging of some of the kills was a bit silly and unrealistic ( I dont know many people who would approach a boat and hang on the motor), but otherwise a classic.
8/10
Old 10-15-22, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

This wasn’t a first time watch, but it was the first time I finished it. While no longer shocking, it’s still disturbing.
Old 10-15-22, 01:50 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I had seen this years ago to see what the hubbub was all about, and vowed to never watch it again. Almost used one of the subset wildcards to skip it, but I’m perfect on the subset since we started it, so I have my least enjoyable viewing of the month done. 1/10
Old 10-15-22, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Tough movie, but the JB commentary is very good. Wife watched it with me and the commentary was enough to keep her involved for the entire time. I went for the Roninflix blu over the 4K and feel ok with that decision.
Old 10-15-22, 09:47 PM

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts

I watched the 1978 and 2010 version tonight for my "watch a movie and it's remake back to back" checklist item.
I suggested this film -- and sorry to anyone who hates this sort of thing.

I'm not usually big on person-on-person violence horror films (like home invasion), because it seems too real. But I've found I have a big exception--films where the revenge is total and the villain(s) get their come-uppance and then some. There's something satisfying about knowing the bad guys will get theirs. If I know that will happen, I can forgive a lot of abuse up front. And I hate it when you sit through 2 hours of a character being tortured and then they just die and there is no karmic payback.

When I first saw ISoYG a few years ago (in my quest to watch TSZDT list movies), I was put-off by the first half of the movie. But it kept me hooked, and I admired that it was so gritty and real. There are not one, but three separate rape scenes. And, although there is copious nudity, there's also a lot of dirt and blood and unattractive poses. At some level it's exploitative, but its' so realistic that it is certainly not fantasy and not titillating at all. So I stuck with it untli the film got to the "revenge" part, and I was all in. Each one of those bastards gets cooked. I think one of the reasons it resonates is that the men in the film dismiss the woman--they even talk like she's not there. They never expect her to be strong enough to seek revenge.

There were a number of plot holes in the original. For instance, why does she never attempt to call the police? Why does it take her about a month to do anything about it? Where is she getting her groceries and gas in the meantime since no one sees her til she starts her rampage? And why would they send *Matthew* to kill her? In the 2010 version, they neatly plug all those holes. They involve the local sheriff, which makes a lot more sense. And the sheriff intends to kill her after the rapes but she jumps off a bridge and vanishes. I quite liked the 2010 version. The rape scenes are shorter with less nudity and the deaths at the end are very inventive and much more explicit and drawn out.

There's no denying the influence this film had, spawning a genre of rape/revenge movies Another of my favorites is REVENGE (2017). Is ISoYG feminist? It was certainly influenced by the feminist movement of its time. But there's no doubt seeing the woman come back and wreck havoc is cathartic.
The following users liked this post:
Undeadcow (10-16-22)
Old 10-17-22, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
Tough movie, but the JB commentary is very good.
JB commentary is the only way I watch this film now.