DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 5

Originally Posted by lastdiplomat
Damn, is anyone else getting really uncomfortable with all these ignorant comments being thrown around about the "types of people" who shop at Big Lots? I thought this forum was about DVD bargains? I'm sure there are websites that cater to those who want to make fun of lower income families, but I don't think this is the place. Please take it elsewhere. Preferably off this planet.
Well, I certainly hope my commentary didn't offend you, or anyone else for that matter. I go out of my way not to use terms like "white trash" or "trailer trash" as I personally think those are offensive. It was also not my intention to make fun of lower-income families, as I've been in that situation myself (and as the saying goes, we're really all "one paycheck away from poverty.") I tried to make the point that I've seen people from nearly all societal positions shopping in BL from time to time, but if it came across as something else, I certainly do apologize.
Old 07-21-09, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Brian T
I wear a fake walrus moustache and war medals, and go "harumph" a lot. Keeps 'em guessing. Never thought about the pinky finger, though. Really completes the lie.
If I see you on my next journey into the wilds of BL I shall produce high tea and we shall partake of it in the DVD aisle.... pinkies extended. One lump or two?
Old 07-21-09, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Mine was almost stepping on a discarded dirty diaper in the parking lot of Wal-Mart. Man, that could've been... bad.
My brother was a manager at a Walmart in a shit part of town and would tell me horror stories that made him say "fuck my life" many a time. For example...people wouldn't leave dirty diapers on the floor, they would just take a shit right on it. He found a couple of surprises like that waiting in aisles for him. The one story that really got me, though, was the guy with his pants around his ankles and a jar of vaseline in hand that he had to chase out of the parking lot.

Sorry to derail the thread...I'm gonna hit up some more Big Lots this weekend wearing a hazmat suit.

Oh, and Phibes, you crack me up. Thanks for those Ross stories.
Old 07-21-09, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Phibes
I always make sure I extend my pinky when picking up DVDs out of the BL to examine them with my monocle so everyone will know that I"m high class.....
Ha! That one should go in the dvdtalk Hall of Fame! My driver gets my DVD's for me, but he is off Friday so I'll try your technique when I'm search for DVD's among the common folk. I'll send him out right now to find me the appropriate gloves to wear in the store...
Old 07-21-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I see you on my next journey into the wilds of BL I shall produce high tea and we shall partake of it in the DVD aisle.... pinkies extended. One lump or two?
Pip, pip! Good show, wot?
Old 07-21-09, 03:51 PM
Cool New Member

Went to the BL in Warwick, Rhode Island today. Nothing much of interest - lots of Night Court, West Wing, O.C., Joey, and Tracey Ullman sets. Picked up one remaining copy of Pinky and the Brain vol. 2.
Old 07-21-09, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 611 Likes on 449 Posts

Oh, indubitably! I'll instruct the staff to fire up the flying machine for Texas, then! However I must warn you, sir, that if you take the last copy of something I covet deeply, I shall have no alternative but to challenge you to a duel, assuming Big Lots can provide me with a closeout-priced weapon. I am Canadian you know . . .
Old 07-21-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Last call.... Am returning two sets to the NoHo store on Vineland tomorrow night, just in case anyone wants to pick them up for themselves. They were the only copies of each I saw there at the time:

SUPER BOWL XXXI-XL (5 Disc Collector's Set)
TRACY TAKES ON (Season 2)
Old 07-21-09, 03:55 PM

Hey guys - Still looking for:
ROOTS
HISTORY OF ROCK N' ROLL
Have TALES FROM THE CRYPT, some ER, some LOIS & CLARK, etc.
Old 07-21-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just curious. How many trips are you guys averaging a week?
Old 07-21-09, 04:01 PM
Banned

Gaithersburg, MD store has about 5 copies each of Tales From The Crypt Vol.'s 2-5. I grabbed the only Vol. 1. They had no 6 or 7. One Top Cat. No other HB titles. No $10. sets.

GO! Beat the Hoarders!
Old 07-21-09, 04:02 PM

If a Looney Tunes box set is present and if weapons are out of stock we can always hurl the soiled diapers that lay about at one another. I accept your challenge, sirrah! Canadian? Sir, I care not for your religion but that Looney Tunes set shall be mine, from hell's heart I strike at thee, with my last breath I shall hurl a soiled infant's garment at thee. Cry havoc!

Big Lots at noon!

Huzzah!

Oh, indubitably! I'll instruct the staff to fire up the flying machine for Texas, then! However I must warn you, sir, that if you take the last copy of something I covet deeply, I shall have no alternative but to challenge you to a duel, assuming Big Lots can provide me with a closeout-priced weapon. I am Canadian you know . . .
Old 07-21-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whitetigeress
In the last 7 days I have gone to Big Lots 6 times.
Old 07-21-09, 04:04 PM
Banned

Don't ask.
Old 07-21-09, 04:09 PM

More than usual that's for sure. All in hopes of new merchandise. Returned something today, but no new stock besides a new volume of Flintstones (S3), but I passed in hopes that another trip might produce something else to buy with it.

My BL doenst really have the room since the DVD section is so crowded with stuff from other sales. I'm guessing that they have more Hannah Barbera in the back and only trickle out a little at a time when the shelf space empties out or that rumored advertised sale begins.

If I were truly obsessed I'd go everyday at lunch. It's not come to that... yet.

Old 07-21-09, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by guitardedboy
Mine was sealed, and it didn't either....I didn't care though...3 bucks I'm happy
My was also sealed but instead of a comic I got two recipes (Popeye's Party Dip and Popeye's Party Pizzas) and a coupon (long since expired) for 25¢ off two cans of Popeye® Spinach (yuck!).
Old 07-21-09, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Mine was almost stepping on a discarded dirty diaper in the parking lot of Wal-Mart. Man, that could've been... bad.
That would be Walmart's famous Parking Lot Burrito!
Old 07-21-09, 04:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Here's my suggestion - if anyone comes across those megasets of Looney Tunes - go ahead and buy all of them, then offer them here, with priority given to those who live closest to that store location.

In the coming days I'll be hitting some more of the NC stores, and if I find some interesting items, I'll be sending private messages to known NC residents for first refusal (I know of at least three posters that are local to me).

Peter
Old 07-21-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If a Looney Tunes box set is present and if weapons are out of stock we can always hurl the soiled diapers that lay about at one another. I accept your challenge, sirrah! Canadian? Sir, I care not for your religion but that Looney Tunes set shall be mine, from hell's heart I strike at thee, with my last breath I shall hurl a soiled infant's garment at thee. Cry havoc!

Big Lots at noon!

Huzzah!
I tried not to mention the Looney Tunes set by name, my good man, but I can see the situation has turned unpleasant rather hastily, harumph, harumph! I have it on the good authority of several highly-regarded trailer park Republicans that Big Lots does not, in fact, sell weaponry of any kind, so I'm afraid shall be forced to swat away your diapers and bludgeon you with a marked-down pool noodle, a shipment of which I'm told will be arriving Thursday morn. I shall meet you on the battlefield, sir; there will be need of a cleanup on aisle six.

Should the Looney Tunes set not be present, however, then a spot of tea will do nicely.

Pinkies high, until then.

Last edited by Brian T; 07-21-09 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not too uncomfortable, mainly because no one, myself included, suggested ("ignorantly") that "only" one kind of person shops at Big Lots. White trash can be unpleasant/disheartening wherever they shop. One does wonder how many of these "vultures" scooping up multiple sets for resale might also fall into that category as well, drawn by the lure of an easy buck.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if the ones buying multiple copies of things solely for resale or 50 copies for trade are disproportionately the ones that can afford to tie up that kind of money and have the time and money to travel to multiple stores numerous times.
Old 07-21-09, 04:46 PM
Cool New Member

hit paydirt big time in houtson today found every tales from the crypt seasons except 7, also got johnny quest s1, and flinstones s1, picked up a couple extra tales from the crypts for friends and family and trade, oh and the BL's i went to had PLENTY of wacky races, flinstones, johnny quest, alot of hanna barbara stuff.

Last edited by creaturefeature; 07-21-09 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by matt0009
Went to the BL in Warwick, Rhode Island today. Nothing much of interest - lots of Night Court, West Wing, O.C., Joey, and Tracey Ullman sets. Picked up one remaining copy of Pinky and the Brain vol. 2.
I was just there on Saturday. It's about 40 minutes away from me and I don't go there that often so please keep updated if you can.
Old 07-21-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NCC1701E
That would be Walmart's famous Parking Lot Burrito!
Good gawd, and I thought people (seemingly by the hundreds) not returning their carts to the cart corral was as bad as it got over there!
Old 07-21-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

I just think it's funny that I often find at least one $3 movie that's been opened and the disc swiped. It's usually some crap horror or action movie too. Anyone doing that has got to be doing it more for the thrill of not getting caught than saving $3. One store started keeping DVDs just at the checkout counter for a while, but had to start using the rack again when more came in.

Taking off early for work right now so I can stop at- guess where?- so I'll just say from my past few days' experience is that it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time. (No, I haven't found the Looney Tunes set yet- I've already got 1 and 2 by themselves so I'd be just as happy finding the remaining volumes I don't have, of course if I did get the big set I'd have to keep the ones I've got too since I'm so damn obsessive.)
Old 07-21-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since when do Canadians fight for anything??? (I should know, I'm married to one...)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.