DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Old 07-19-09, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 5

Originally Posted by dvd_daffy View Post
If anyone bought the Batman Animated, Vol. 1/Superman Animated, Vol. 1 box set 2-pack, be VERY careful opening it! The individual sets themselves are not shrinkwrapped, but there's that big "Two Great Movies, One Low Price" sticker on the front of them. It is impossible to peel off the giant sticker without destroying the packages. You will have to find a knife and cut the sticker in half to release the sets. I guess I can't really complain, since it only cost $3.00, but it's still a little annoying. :-p

I can't believe how many gaps in my Hanna-Barbera collection I have been able to fill in. Keeping my fingers crossed for another Big Lots restock for more treasures.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-19-09, 10:46 PM

Between this thread, the BL exchange thread, and actually being at a Big Lots, it seems that 23-1/2 hrs of my day are taken up!
Old 07-19-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife picked a great weekend for us to visit her parents that live two states over. I stopped at 6 BLs along the way and found almost everything I wanted, especially the Hanna Barbara stuff. Each store seemed to have that one title that the others didn't. Outside of my hometown area (Cleveland) I didn't see any of the $10 sets on the road and I really, really wanted to find that Looney box (like everyone else here) but I can't complain as I found just about everything else listed. Vacation is just around the corner so I'm looking forward to some serious DVD watching.
Old 07-19-09, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by NCC1701E View Post
Between this thread, the BL exchange thread, and actually being at a Big Lots, it seems that 23-1/2 hrs of my day are taken up!
Same here. I'm gonna need more DVD racks!
Old 07-19-09, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho View Post
same old from yesterday at the BL on Vineland in North Hollywood tonight, nothing new and so many sets of JOEY Season One I have now come to hate that show with a passion unequaled by even the most ruthless and sadistic barbarian measures of passionate hatred. And I don't even know what that show is!
Its a spin-off of "friends"
Old 07-19-09, 11:15 PM

Anyone finding much in Orange County/LA County border area? Placentia BL @ Yorba Linda/Rose had a restock. Had a pretty vast selection of the $6 sets, but nothing I really wanted. It's one of the few stores that has had anything though. I've been going a few times a week to other BLs in the surrounding area but there's never anything, so I'm not sure if I'm just missing out because people are getting there before me or if the shipments they get are pretty bare. Every store seems to have those Dukes/Joey sets, but not much else.
Old 07-19-09, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by barbybrant View Post
I live in NJ but was on the road in MD this weekend and happened to stop in the Edgewood, MD, store on my way home today. TONS of the new stuff
Thanks for the heads up! Looks like I'm hitting Edgewood tomorrow. Having all the Flintstones would be awesome.

Has anyone spotted Looney Tunes in MD?
Old 07-19-09, 11:24 PM
Cool New Member

Is anybody finding any of the Hanna Barbera sets anywhere in North Carolina? I'm in the Charlotte area and it seems like I'm finding none of the good stuff!
Old 07-19-09, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by NCC1701E View Post
PM sent
Old 07-19-09, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why all the people picking up Friends aren't picking up Joey as well. Friends sets don't last a day.
Old 07-19-09, 11:39 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by dvd_daffy View Post
If anyone bought the Batman Animated, Vol. 1/Superman Animated, Vol. 1 box set 2-pack, be VERY careful opening it! The individual sets themselves are not shrinkwrapped, but there's that big "Two Great Movies, One Low Price" sticker on the front of them. It is impossible to peel off the giant sticker without destroying the packages. You will have to find a knife and cut the sticker in half to release the sets. I guess I can't really complain, since it only cost $3.00, but it's still a little annoying. :-p
My sets were individually shrinkwrapped, so this was no issue for me....
Old 07-19-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by martind35 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! Looks like I'm hitting Edgewood tomorrow. Having all the Flintstones would be awesome.

Has anyone spotted Looney Tunes in MD?
Not in the Eldersburg or Westminster stores.

If you see any seasons of Tales From The Crypt or the $10 Kubrick boxset I'd be glad to work out a trade with you for them
Old 07-19-09, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by bigjim25 View Post
I bought all 6 seasons of The Flintstones, the big Looney Toons set, & 15 more sets Saturday. They had a bigger selection yesterday than they did today when I went. I was going to wait and buy mine today to use the coupon but I'm glad I didn't now. They did have 4 different Tales from the crypt Saturday but I didn't buy any because I was too busy buying the others.
Well it looks like you made a good decision to get em on Saturday.
I was gonna go on Saturday too but I went to Friends of Coal Car Show instead.I guess I can take solace in getting Pat Whites autograph and shaking his hand and seeing all those cool cars.

Back to the dvds ..I'm surprised at how fast they went.
I went back this evening to grab Wacky Races and a few others for a friend. In the 4 or so hrs after leaving it was even more barren.
Im gonna have to check every other day now for a restock.
Happy Hunting all!
Old 07-20-09, 12:19 AM
Cool New Member

Hello Everyone

Just wanted to say thank you to all who have posted about these deals two weeks ago and listing what they have found since then but........

why hasn't the second batch of warner bros that everyone seems to keep finding hit California yet!!! well at least in my area I Have been to three big lots numerous times during the past week and have not found anything new besides joey and the oc. im really looking for lois and clark superman and tales from crypt. I hope this upcoming week changes if not this will be the last lol i did pick up some canned dog food with 20% coupon
Old 07-20-09, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sdfan21 View Post
why hasn't the second batch of warner bros that everyone seems to keep finding hit California yet!!! well at least in my area I Have been to three big lots numerous times during the past week and have not found anything new besides joey and the oc. im really looking for lois and clark superman and tales from crypt. I hope this upcoming week changes if not this will be the last lol i did pick up some canned dog food with 20% coupon
I'm in California and have found both Crypt and Lois & Clark. Gotta go to the right stores at the right time. There's a lot of people buying these to resell them for a higher price so you gotta make sure you're quick.
Old 07-20-09, 12:34 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
I'm in California and have found both Crypt and Lois & Clark. Gotta go to the right stores at the right time. There's a lot of people buying these to resell them for a higher price so you gotta make sure you're quick.
Yea i think im going to late. To save on gas and on wasted trips i do it after work since its on the way home. i scored big with the first batch by being able to find thundercats six box set justice league collection etc i guess ill wait till the 26 which is when the ad comes out or go during the week when i have a day off man this is getting ridiculous
Old 07-20-09, 12:42 AM

Yea i think im going to late. To save on gas and on wasted trips i do it after work since its on the way home. i scored big with the first batch by being able to find thundercats six box set justice league collection etc i guess ill wait till the 26 which is when the ad comes out or go during the week when i have a day off man this is getting ridiculous
I think some of the Big Lots stores here in San Diego might very well be waiting until a few day before the new sale kicks to put out all the new goodies. The Big Lots I've been to these past new days have not put anything new out. Yet, I've heard about stores in Poway and Mira Mesa putting out the new stuff already. It's definiitely frustrating getting your hopes up, only to find nothing in the end. But I think we'll hit paydirt this coming week!

Are you in San Diego, sdfan21?
Old 07-20-09, 12:51 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Sammy Banderas View Post

Are you in San Diego, sdfan21?
Banderas,

Nah i don't live in San Diego, but am a long time charger fan since the bobby ross days!! lol im located in central California. But you are right about certain stores waiting to release a couple of days before. well i hope!!
Old 07-20-09, 12:57 AM

Banderas,

Nah i don't live in San Diego, but am a long time charger fan since the bobby ross days!! lol im located in central California. But you are right about certain stores waiting to release a couple of days before. well i hope!!
Central California? Where abouts?
Old 07-20-09, 01:01 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post

I hit up my same 3 stores every day and there hasn't been anything new at all since the first batch on the 9th. One of the stores even got ride of the 4 sided stand they had set up in the middle and another only has a few Dukes left over on their almost bare displey. I hope they do have them and are waiting til that ad, better late then never. I found almost the entire series of Friends at one of those stores. I'll keep going till the well is reported dry though!
Old 07-20-09, 01:06 AM

Banderas,

A Bolts fan ... nice!!! Good luck on your treasure hunt! Let me know if I can help out.
Old 07-20-09, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago View Post
Oh boy... More competition.

I kid... Welcome to the looney bin.

They had shit yesterday. Eastland had shit today. The employees at Eastland are starting to look at me kind of strangely.

Did you see Tales From The Crypt by any chance? I'm really starting to become annoyed by these daily trips... No plans to stop tomorrow. Unless...

ugh.
I haven't seen any Tales From The Crypt since the beginning. I live close to the Turfland store, so I've been checking it regularly and will probably keep doing so for a while longer.

Thanks for returning that Smallville S7 Blu-ray. I picked it up Thursday night and traded on here for a set that I needed.
Old 07-20-09, 06:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally opened this thread last night to see what all the deals were, my BL isn't in the best part of town so was trying to avoid it, but finally went today. The Salinas, CA location just had the OC sets, a few West Wings, Dukes of Hazard, a Full House, and a Drew Carrey. I kind of want to check out the Watsonville location but I never go that way, maybe tomorrow though. Has anyone been to the San Jose area ones and found anything?
Old 07-20-09, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checked out a few Big Lots over the past couple of days days and only found The War at Home for $3. I get off work early today, and I'm off tomorrow, so I will definitely be scouring the local Big Lots looking for:

The Stanley Kubrick Collection
The Powerpuff Girls: Complete Series
Space Ghost and Dino Boy: Complete Series
Birdman and the Galaxy Trio: Complete Series
Jonny Quest: Complete First Season

I'm not hopeful though. =(

Also, does anyone know when they get trucks? Does it vary from store-to-store?
Old 07-20-09, 07:52 AM
Cool New Member

Hi all, I don't post that much here, but I just felt the need to help out my fellow BL DVDTalkers. I'm in the Orlando/Central Florida area, and did a check yesterday or these stores, all of which seem pretty cleaned out from the sale.

Longwood/SR17-92: not much at all, still some OC, a few Drew Carey S1, Dallas S7 (in amaray cases, like they were meant for Blockbuster rentals)

Sanford/SR17-92: a little more, a couple of Superfriends V2, Tracey Takes On S1, Flintstones S2&3.

Edgewater Dr: very nice store, very clean! But, picked over. A few Superfriends V2, Penelope Pitstop.

Casselberry/SR436: Flintstones S3 (all unwrapped, but in good shape).

Colonial/Waterford Lakes: Worst of all, didn't see ANY boxsets, very few DVDs, and no real sign that they've ever had them.

Over the last week or so, I have found some of the titles, but have never seen any Smallville sets, WW, Looney Tunes/$10 sets, Wacky Races, Batman Animated, etc. I don't know if it's just unlucky, or they're all being bought up by traders/sellers.

I'll be checking out a few again on the way home from work today, so I'll post when I have updates.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.