DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 5

Old 07-21-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 5

Here's my Big Lots parking lot story:

I was going to Big Lots last week for the 5th or 6th day in a row trying to find some of these deals (success!). As I'm going down the row looking for a parking spot, I spot a kid about 6 or 7 years old standing by his mom's car taking a leak in the parking lot. At first, I thought his mom had left the kid in the car while she shopped, hence the kid getting out and peeing instead of going into the store, but by the time I found a spot and parked, he had finished, gotten into the back seat and mom had pulled away leaving a puddle of pee in the parking lot for some poor soul to step in later. I looked around expecting Chris Hansen to show up.
Old 07-21-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by bwsmom
Since when do Canadians fight for anything??? (I should know, I'm married to one...)
We don't need to. We have it all. Except Big Lots and that one chick you stole from us. We'd like her back, by the way.
Old 07-21-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
We don't need to. We have it all. Except Big Lots and that one chick you stole from us. We'd like her back, by the way.
Ha. Only one chick? I think we've stolen several, actually, plus a few guys and some less-than-wonderful tv shows, too, during the writers' strike.

I will say, however, that you DO have something I covet dearly... Cadbury Wunderbars. I d*mn near started an international incident between the U.S., Cadbury England and Cadbury Canada trying to get them to bring the bars to the States, but nothing doing. Jerks!
Old 07-21-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Drake
If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the Popeye set a year ago?
It was 44.99. It was the BestBuy exclusive tin, which just had the box inside a silver tin. It was not available online, so I had to pay retail plus sales tax on top of that, too. It was the first week it came out and was on sale, the "regular" price was $59.99

Last edited by Quatermass; 07-22-09 at 09:55 AM. Reason: found the original receipt
Old 07-21-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My brother was a manager at a Walmart in a shit part of town and would tell me horror stories that made him say "fuck my life" many a time. For example...people wouldn't leave dirty diapers on the floor, they would just take a shit right on it. He found a couple of surprises like that waiting in aisles for him. The one story that really got me, though, was the guy with his pants around his ankles and a jar of vaseline in hand that he had to chase out of the parking lot.
As I'm going down the row looking for a parking spot, I spot a kid about 6 or 7 years old standing by his mom's car taking a leak in the parking lot. At first, I thought his mom had left the kid in the car while she shopped, hence the kid getting out and peeing instead of going into the store, but by the time I found a spot and parked, he had finished, gotten into the back seat and mom had pulled away leaving a puddle of pee in the parking lot for some poor soul to step in later.
Since we're going to the bad place...

I have one more, this happened a few years back - Wal-Mart in Colton, CA. I can't recall why I was there. I'm gonna guess $5.50 DVD bin. I park and get out. I see something on the floor. I couldn't make out the shape, it had a dark hue. Whatever it was it was crushed/squished by a previous car. Then I saw the string.

I can't even imagine the mentality at work here. She couldn't wait until she got home? Or used the store's bathroom? Did she think it was funny? If this and ZekeBurger1979's comments are not the very definition of white trash. Then I don't know what it is.

- - -

I forgot to mention, should anybody care. The Colton store has three remaining copies of "Mission Hill"; never got into that show. I was there a couple hours ago. Picked up "The War At Home" for a friend.

Last edited by JohnIan; 07-21-09 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ha. Only one chick? I think we've stolen several, actually, plus a few guys and some less-than-wonderful tv shows, too, during the writers' strike.

I will say, however, that you DO have something I covet dearly... Cadbury Wunderbars. I d*mn near started an international incident between the U.S., Cadbury England and Cadbury Canada trying to get them to bring the bars to the States, but nothing doing. Jerks!

Ahh, Wunderbars . . .

Little known fact: they give us those after our free visits to the hospital. Yay!

You know, I'd happily send you a box--even two!--in exchange for a Looney Tunes set from Big Lots, shipped to my U.S. postbox. Just don't tell Phibes, 'kay? I have to keep up appearances . . .

Last edited by Brian T; 07-21-09 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-21-09, 05:33 PM
Cool New Member

Here in Sunny Florida I went to 6 BL in the last 2 days no 10 sets and no HB sets :-(
Did find pinky and brain and animaniacs sets thou at 6 bucks each.
Old 07-21-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went back to the BL I went to twice yesterday to pick up some sets - which they had plenty of yesterday afternoon - and the place was in disarray. Someone hit the shelves hard last night since I had to look behind things and find one hidden copy each of Tales From the Crypt 1, 2, 4, and 5. Someone's gonna be pissed when they get out of work tonight.

Other than that the place is dry now.. I'm guessing hoarders.
Old 07-21-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ahh, Wunderbars . . .

Little known fact: they give us those after our free visits to the hospital. Yay!
D*mn!!! If that's what socialized medicine is all about, count me in!!

You know, I'd happily send you a box--even two!--in exchange for a Looney Tunes set from Big Lots, shipped to my U.S. postbox. Just don't tell Phibes, 'kay? I have to keep up appearances . . .

Hmm... tempting, but I'm still looking for those LT sets myself... well, that and I'm having a baby, so I have to watch my sugar levels, but still.... Wunderbarrrrrrsss.....
Old 07-21-09, 05:43 PM
Banned

I was just reading the Big Lots exchange thread and was amused at all the people wanting the Looney Toons Collection, as if it were the magic pot of gold or something. Ohhhhhh the irony... Looney Toons.

Personally, I will be happy if I can finish my James Bond collection which shouldn't be too difficult since they seem to be commonly found in new DVD shipments. I suppose I shouldn't be too concerned since I managed to pick up over 50 titles that were on my want list.

Next weekend should proove to be interesting.
Old 07-21-09, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by creaturefeature
hit paydirt big time in houtson today found every tales from the crypt seasons except 7, also got johnny quest s1, and flinstones s1, picked up a couple extra tales from the crypts for friends and family and trade, oh and the BL's i went to had PLENTY of wacky races, flinstones, johnny quest, alot of hanna barbara stuff.
Which locations did you go to? I went to The Woodlands and Humble this weekend and didn't find much. I might be back in the area again this weekend. Thanks.
Old 07-21-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

and I'm having a baby
Up here we usually let the womenfolk take care o' that. Apparently the sciences have progressed much further than I thought down there.

But still, you need Wunderbars. You need them. You do. Your unborn child needs them, too. I mean, what kind of a father wouldn't at least have a couple of boxes on hand for baby's first day home? A bad father, that's who. Now, about that DVD set . . .
Old 07-21-09, 06:03 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

went to danvers, ma around 4:30PM. Nothing new as far as I could tell, maybe some new $3 movies, but no $10 sets or Hannah Barbera $3.

Some Dukes, some west wings and the ubiquitous Joey Season 1 still there.

Kind of disappointed, I thought the $3 HB's and the $10 sets would hit New England in a wave. Looking for Birdman and space ghost. I watched a couple of wacky racers with my son...maybe I should have left them to memory. I am hopeful that top cat will not disappoint.
Old 07-21-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Up here we usually let the womenfolk take care o' that. Apparently the sciences have progressed much further than I thought down there.
But, I am a womanfolk... thus, my username...?

But still, you need Wunderbars. You need them. You do. Your unborn child needs them, too. I mean, what kind of a father wouldn't at least have a couple of boxes on hand for baby's first day home? A bad father, that's who. Now, about that DVD set . . .
Well, I wouldn't necessarily argue with you there. But gestational diabetes can be a real b*tch, and it's one thing I'd like to stay away from if possible. (But hey, my Canuck has brought me back Wunderbars every time he's visited family up there, so he's not all bad! )

Tell you what - if I do, on the very slim off-chance, come across not one but TWO LT sets, I'll definitely pick them both up and then we can work out some sort of international trade deal (assuming it complies with NAFTA, of course). Deal?
Old 07-21-09, 06:15 PM
Cool New Member

Finally some new stuff came down to florida!im in between tampa and orlando,so for the orlando guys that were posting a few days back,id check back asap...what i saw was:

flintstones seasons 1-5
Batman Animated vol 1 and 2
Popeye 1933-1938
Superman vol 1
Adventures of Superman season 2,and 5/6 together.

tons more of the hanna barbera cartoons like Wacky Races,Josie and the pussycats,pebbles and bam bam.also stuff like war at home,that larry king's greatest interviews.

thats all i can remember off hand but mostly all the stuff thats been reported was there.tons of copies of each.but still no $10 sets.

also for the batman/superman animated packs that were bundled together,that huge (2 movies,1 low price) sticker was on the outside of the wrapper,not on the actual box art.both sets are wrapped together,and then each one is wrapped seperately.so for those people that were iffy on getting it,its perfectly fine.
Old 07-21-09, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Devo13
This is bullcrap! I was just at Sawmill Road in Columbus,Friday and Sunday(in town for the Half Price Bookstore sale)and saw no Looney Tunes 1-5 box sets. This is total proof they are hiding stuff back. I went through every DVD area in that store and saw no Looney Tunes. And they say they don't get their trucks in till Thursday.
What a scam.
I did see 3 Wonder Woman Complete Series Box Sets at the Polaris location and not much of anything else.
Not sure when you were at the Sawmill Road store on Friday, but that's the day I got it, at around 11:45 am. It was on the very bottom shelf, hidden from view behind all the Roots Complete Collection sets. And as I posted before, the pins had been swiped. Someone may have taken the pins and stashed the set so no one would know they took them.

Bummer on the WW sets at Polaris. That's one of the stores I have only been to once because it is so inconvenient for me to get to on weekdays.

Oh, and at Phibes and Brian T. Thanks for the laughs!
Old 07-21-09, 06:20 PM
Cool New Member

Ive been eying my local Big Lots and in the past week have gotten:
Animaniacs Vol 2
Charlie
Diamond Dogs
Hero Wanted
Brick

I saw one History of Rock n Roll set but it sounded like multiple discs were loose so I passed. They also had Nightmares and Dreamscapes and I will get that next time I go. I really hope they get some more Animaniacs/Pinky and the Brain sets as well as some Tales from the Crypt.
Old 07-21-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Visiting Florida, looks like they had just put some stuff out. Guess what? This guy shows up with two carts! Fills both of them up and pays over 200 bucks for everything. He was on the phone with someone, sounded like he was getting prices for trade ins or ebay prices. "How much is that going for?"... "Ok, Ok how about Lois and Clark". He pretty much cleaned them out.

Pissed me off, because all I wanted was the Tales from the crypt seasons, this guy had about 3 copies of each. If I would have only gotten their an hour sooner. I probably shouldn't of have done this but I followed him to his car and asked him if he would take 30 bucks for one of each of the Tales from the crypt. He looked at me and snickered, he said 75$ for all 6. I told the guy to fuck off and walked away. At 30$ he still would have gotten double what he paid for them! But no, that wasn't enough!

I wonder if he knows that there are 7 seasons lol!
I'm sure an craigslist of ebay listing will pop up. Tales from the crypt ALL SIX SEASONS!
whatever!
Old 07-21-09, 06:35 PM
Banned

Yowza! I got first dibs on the new $3.00 stock today (GO ME!). However, I just called a few hours later (to try and pick up some stuff for people on DVD Talk) and they told me they are already almost completely out of everything. DEATH TO RE-SELLERS!
Old 07-21-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But, I am a womanfolk... thus, my username...?
My humblest apologies for thinking you were a dude. Sometimes I forget that the womenfolk can be geeks, too. And since your husband is a dude, well, that's alright, we don't need him back. Just the ladies, you know.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily argue with you there. But gestational diabetes can be a real b*tch, and it's one thing I'd like to stay away from if possible. (But hey, my Canuck has brought me back Wunderbars every time he's visited family up there, so he's not all bad! )

Tell you what - if I do, on the very slim off-chance, come across not one but TWO LT sets, I'll definitely pick them both up and then we can work out some sort of international trade deal (assuming it complies with NAFTA, of course). Deal?
No worries about the NAFTA deal. I've had a U.S. postal box for years because I got sick of paying unfair Canadian prices on this stuff, even when our dollar went par. Naturally, I use it to send from as well, Canada Post and their usurious rates be damned. Of course, trekking Wunderbars across the border on a hot summer day might not end pretty by the time you get them, but perhaps a box of chocolate sludge (looking not unlike those Wal-Mart Parking Lot Burritos, I'm sure) will be just the deterrent you need.
Old 07-21-09, 06:39 PM

Went back to Derby store. Picked up:

Tales From The Crypt S1-5
Jonny Quest
Willard
A Guy Thing
Stealing Harvard

No more Appleseed steelbooks. Sorry, SBJ.
Old 07-21-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My humblest apologies for thinking you were a dude. Sometimes I forget that the womenfolk can be geeks, too. And since your husband is a dude, well, that's alright, we don't need him back. Just the ladies, you know.
Well, I do live in Portland, so the term "husband" doesn't necessarily equate to a male spouse here!

Of course, trekking Wunderbars across the border on a hot summer day might not end pretty by the time you get them, but perhaps a box of chocolate sludge (looking not unlike those Wal-Mart Parking Lot Burritos, I'm sure) will be just the deterrent you need.
Yeah, thanks... I needed the mental image of melted Wunderbars somehow relating to WMPL Burritos...
Old 07-21-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to emphasize how silly these re-sellers are. They're driving prices DOWN. Amazon and eBay are getting flooded with these sets. Tsk tsk.
Old 07-21-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Tales from the crypt ALL SIX SEASONS
They won't be missing much, Season 7 is horrible....
Old 07-21-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I need to emphasize how silly these re-sellers are. They're driving prices DOWN. Amazon and eBay are getting flooded with these sets. Tsk tsk.
If you need proof, go to wherehouse.com where S1 of Lois and Clark is fetching $5 and S2-S4 are bringing $.05. Yes... that's five cents... each... *Some* of the HB animation will get you $2/each and the others at, you guessed it, $.05/each. Other online purchasers of used product are offering similar prices. Even dvdplanet is very low on most of these, often a break even after shipping, etc.

Karma, baby, karma...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.