Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

BlockBuster - Get $8 minimum on October 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
I am about to unload quite a few tites and was wondering....

Is there any way one could actually order something from Blocbusetr's website once one gets the credit for the dvds? I dont see anything in the store that I would like to buy at this very moment.

Possibe or not?

Thank you,

Pro-B
Every store does special orders...just ask.
Old 10-11-04, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Checked my local BB this weekeend and found they are not taking trade ins. The woman I talked with wasn't even aware of the promotion and wanted to know if this was something being offered at either corporate or franchise owned BB stores. Maybe that explains why not every store is participating with the offer. I will check a few other locations before giving up.
Old 10-11-04, 01:41 PM
J_J

rabbit77, I only traded in 7 sorry, kept "The Game".

7 x 8 = $56 + tax

JJ
Old 10-11-04, 01:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by rabbit77

el_jer, what are you going to do with over $1200 in blockbuster credit? That could equate to 4 years of the unlimited membership! :eek:

For one, I will be renting all my movies and buying all my Xbox games from BBV for the near future. Then, I guess I'll still have money for a free XBOX 2 when that day arrives. It is a lot of money to have with BBV though. In hindsight, I probably could have bundled up a couple of DVD packs and sold on EBAY for cash. Oh well, this was quick and easy.
Old 10-11-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by el_jer
For one, I will be renting all my movies and buying all my Xbox games from BBV for the near future. Then, I guess I'll still have money for a free XBOX 2 when that day arrives. It is a lot of money to have with BBV though. In hindsight, I probably could have bundled up a couple of DVD packs and sold on EBAY for cash. Oh well, this was quick and easy.
That's a good idea, using it to buy a game system. I was just curious because even with $200 in credit I don't know what I'm going to do with that, and was looking for ideas.

I just finished a month on the introductory unlimited movie pass and went through about 50 movies in that time. That wore me out, and I think I'll wait a few months before I do that again to wait for future releases to come out.
Old 10-11-04, 02:49 PM
Banned

I traded in my Rocky box set for $40 ($8 a piece). The other day I went back in to make more trades and saw my same box set priced for sale... at $39.99.

BTW, thanks to all who contributed to this post. I never would've known about this trade-in special otherwise, since I rarely go into Blockbuster. Although their prices are almost always absurd (the cashier looked up the Shawshank Redemption gift box and said it was $60!!!!!!!), at least I'm able to get rid of crap I wouldn't be able to move on eBay.
Old 10-11-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by rabbit77
You got ripped; there should be an $8 minimum = $64 plus tax.
Have other people been getting tax? I've traded at 3 different Blockbusters in the Los Angeles area and haven't been credited tax at any of them.
Old 10-11-04, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by Peep
Have other people been getting tax? I've traded at 3 different Blockbusters in the Los Angeles area and haven't been credited tax at any of them.
Yes. I got a tax credit on my trade-ins. My BBV is in Gurnee, IL.
Old 10-11-04, 04:34 PM

I'm in Ohio and haven't been getting a credit for tax. I figured it must be state to state thing.
Old 10-11-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by drjay
Called all the BBVs around here (central-IL) and they all said no dice. According to them only the "ones around Chicago" are doing it and they might start in a few months. I have a hunch this is a bunch of BS because they skip out on 3/$25 sales all the time around here. There seems to be no corporate supervision, heh.
drjay....

Around here, Buffalo Grove, ...and as far as Niles, every store has the promotion.
As far West as I have gone the promo is everywhere.

Pro-B
Old 10-11-04, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by jessecrx
Every store does special orders...just ask.
I did thank you.

Pro-B
Old 10-11-04, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Peep
Getting tax here in NYC - and it helps, because the sales tax rate is .0865.
Old 10-11-04, 06:17 PM

Hi!
First time poster, and I hope to contribute to this great community in the near future!

My question is about the Value Card stipulations for those who are familiar with it. A few days ago I traded in some DVDs and got $40 for it, the cashier gave me a Value Card. Today I took it out for the first time at the same store to buy something, from the same cashier. The card was empty and he insisted, even after I explained otherwise, that I must have spent it. No one, manager included would give me my credit back, even with receipt. Reason, again, I must have spent it. Can anyone tell me if I should go back and ask for my DVDs back again, or how my Value Card could have been drained if it never left my wallet? Any help greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-11-04, 06:33 PM

Joe Carioca-
Purely speculative, but is it possible the clerk accidentally added the balance to your Blockbuster account and gave you a blank card? Your receipt might indicate this.

I seriously doubt you'll have any luck getting your dvd's back, but if the credit is depleted from your account and your value card, a call to a district manager is in order ASAP. Maybe the spending can be traced?
Old 10-11-04, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow! What a great DVD deal!

I gave them 29 DVDs and got $232 in credit ($8 each). Great deal since I didn't pay even that for most of them.

The biggest surprises to me were getting $8 for PeeWee's Big Adventure and Notorious--2 movies that I got at Walmart for $5.

Then I found "In America" in the previewed movies section for $7.99. I bought it and am watching it tonight. I'll be selling it to them tomorrow for $8.

I also found "Flash Gordon" for $10. I'll be selling that on ebay for $20-$30. Not bad!
Old 10-11-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I suggest people buy something before they leave the store to make sure their Valuecard is correct. That is the biggest fear whenever I buy or receive a gift card or the like.

Joe Carioca: I would suggest going back to the store and asking for the district manager's number. From my point of view if you would have spent your balance the clerk would have taken the card and thrown it away. I have yet to spend one where they did not do just that. I looked on blockbusters site but found no number. Good luck!!
Old 10-11-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I did my first trade-in today in NYC. The store at Broadway and 9th Street wasn't doing trade-ins cuz they had problems with their computer systems in that trade-ins were getting less than $8.

So, I went over to the 15th Street and 3rd Ave store. I traded in 18 titles:
What About Bob?
Surviving the Game
Mr. Nice Guy
Freddy Got Fingered
Panic Room Superbit
The Great Escape
Evolution
Head of State
Jurassic Park III (Double from the 2-pack with the Hulk)
The One
The Mummy Returns (FS...one of my first DVD purchases from BBV when I didn't know about WS vs. FS.....it was the last of my DVDs in FS but now I need to get the movie in WS cuz I like that movie)
Eye See You
Dog Soldiers
Crocodile Hunter
American Pie 2 (FS...I switched to WS a while ago)
Scary Movie 2
Mothman Prophecies
Ali

I got $144 on a value card and $12.42 in tax was placed on my account. I'll just buy a gift card to get that off of my account later.

They wouldn't take R2-D2: Beneath the Dome cuz it wasn't in their system. They also wouldn't take any DVDs that didn't have a UPC like Dreamscape which I got in a 2-pack with Assault on Precent 13.

I'm gonna trade in hopefully at least 30 more DVDs before 11/1/04.
Old 10-11-04, 08:03 PM

I had them check the balances RIGHT AFTER I was about to leave the store. They give you a printout to keep with the amount contained on the card.

I'm glad I thought of doing this because I once had a $20 gift card that I bought for a friend, and then decided to keep myself. WHen I tried to use it, they said I have no money on it. I was SOO pissed, and they basically said tough luck.
Old 10-11-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
BBV gave me $10 for Witch Hunter Robin V1.

I also got $32 ($8 a piece) for the TMNT radical pack.

I'll probably break a part some of my Stargates seasons and trade them in.
Old 10-11-04, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

With a gift/value card, there must be an audit trail. If you spent the credit, the computer will know what you spent it on.

With Dumb&Dumber working the counters at BBV you'd be lucky to even get someone who knows what an audit trail is much less able to dig it out of their computer system. But, the people at corporate headquarters must have the resources to trace all the transactions on that card. Don't let the drones at the desk steal your money, call corporate number and make them prove that you spent it.
Old 10-11-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been double checking my balance when I go in. One employee was joking about buying stuff for herself with my balance, but I didn't find it as funny.

Anyway, I have cleaned house on this deal trading in old games and DVDs. I preordered 4 games and still have $375 on my account. Should be picking up the new PStwo when it comes out this week and that will drop me $150.

I'm really going to miss this deal when its gone. I'm loving getting rid of old stuff at obsurd prices.
Old 10-11-04, 08:37 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

should i trade in the alfred hitchcock signature series and risky business, wonder if an SE will ever come out for this movie.
Old 10-11-04, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Also, this was mentioned already but they won't take the old Showgirls because it has an NC-17 rating. They said that the one they carry is the edited version that carries an R rating.
Old 10-11-04, 08:48 PM

where do you mean, i am in Staten Island, NY, and traded in dvd's last weeks for a minimum of $8
Central New York as in the state not the city.
Old 10-11-04, 10:22 PM

Anyone who works at BB know if they carry / can order the Start TOS box sets. If so what is the price...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.