DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

BlockBuster - Get $8 minimum on October 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-04, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dabaomb

So, I went over to the 15th Street and 3rd Ave store. I traded in 18 titles:
The Mummy Returns (FS...one of my first DVD purchases from BBV when I didn't know about WS vs. FS.....it was the last of my DVDs in FS but now I need to get the movie in WS cuz I like that movie)
American Pie 2 (FS...I switched to WS a while ago)
Too funny - I also had these two in FS, and The Mummy Returns was my first DVD purchase (from BBV).
Old 10-11-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, this was mentioned already but they won't take the old Showgirls because it has an NC-17 rating. They said that the one they carry is the edited version that carries an R rating.
There is no R rated dvd for Showgirls (is there)?. I would go in there and see if they have the dvd and check the rating. I am going tomorrow. I will check. They may not even have the dvd to rent. I know they have the R-rated tape.
Old 10-11-04, 10:32 PM

Called BB today (just to make sure I can bring my dvd's and get $8 credit).
The clerk said they are giving about $3 credit per movie, when pushed, he told me that each movie scans for a different amount (some for $3, some for $5).

Did anyone from Alaska participate in this deal?
It looks like we have been left out
Old 10-11-04, 10:32 PM

Has anyone in the Boston area been able to do this?
Old 10-12-04, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by BrentLumkin
I just traded in a bunch of DVDs and received $121.xx for them all. I turned around and bought the new special editions of Goodfellas and The Shawshank Redemption, Capturing the Friedmans, and pre-ordered both sets of SCTV (yes, they were still mispriced here).

I put down Blockbuster in the "Many Blockbuster misprices" thread, so allow me to praise them for a moment.

After I had traded everything in, and had the three titles that I wanted to buy that they had in the store, we had a problem. Capturing the Friedmans had a sticker on it with a price of $14.95. I obviously saw that as a great deal, so I was very happy. When they were checking me out though, it scanned as $24.95 in their system, so it was obviously mispriced. I thought nothing of it, and was just going to pass on it, but without my even asking, the clerk checking me out (the assistant manager) took $10 off of the price of my final price, thus allowing me to get CtF for the $14.95 price. I thought that was a great service, and I sincerely thanked the clerk.

On top of that, as I was trading in some games along with my DVDs, they couldn't find the barcode to scan to give me the extra $5 per game, since I traded in three. So, to make it up to me, they gave me a $20 gift card. They virtually just gave me $5, just to make it up to me. Again, many thanks were given from me to the clerk.

On top of all of that, the people I dealt with today at least, were very kind and actually knew exactly what they were doing, understood how to look up DVDs and things in their system, and knew how to get certain things done manually as they accepted my DVDs.

So, for today, I give Blockbuster two thumbs up.
I guess I was unfortunate. When they scanned my games (5 total) and the additional $5 for each did not show up, they told me to leave and come back tomorrow when the manager is in.
Old 10-12-04, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by NCYankee
Too funny - I also had these two in FS, and The Mummy Returns was my first DVD purchase (from BBV).
yup, many of my first DVD purchases were in June 2002 during BBV's buy 2, get 1 free sale ($9.99 each, so averages out to $6.66 + Tax). 3 of those DVDs were in FS (Grinch, American Pie 2, Mummy Returns). I upgraded the Grinch a long time ago to the 2-disc version when Target had their Christmas items on clearance in 2002. I think I sold the FS version for $10 on half.com or something like that. I upgraded AP 2 when Coconuts had it for $6.99. So now I got rid of AP 2 and The Mummy Returns but will eventually get The Mummy Returns in WS.

Also, I'm just gonna get rid of some of my early blockbuster used DVDs cuz they were scratched cuz I didn't really check the condition. I like the movie but will eventually buy them later (e.g. Artificial Intelligence, The Animal, Kiss of the Dragon, etc.)
Old 10-12-04, 05:18 AM

I noticed some of the used DVDs they sell at my local BB are missing covers and have a generic BB cover. Does this mean that I can trade in DVDs without covers?

Because I found 3 DVDs near my apt's trashbin and can put them in blank DVD cases for trading in. The DVDs were Hidalgo (FS), The Reckoning (FS) and 13 Going On 30 (WS). I'm keeping the last one. Great movie.
Old 10-12-04, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So now I got rid of AP 2 and The Mummy Returns but will eventually get The Mummy Returns in WS.

Also, I'm just gonna get rid of some of my early blockbuster used DVDs cuz they were scratched cuz I didn't really check the condition. I like the movie but will eventually buy them later (e.g. Artificial Intelligence, The Animal, Kiss of the Dragon, etc.)
Seems like our early experiences were very similar. I have recently replaced scratched BBV copies of Gladiator DTS and Die Another Day with mint copies I got from pawnshops for ~$5, and am trading my old copies in.

If you are interested, there are several copies of The Mummy Returns on Amazon marketplace under $5 + $2.49 shipping. I got a mint copy a few months back for $5 - CDwarehouses usually have mint copies, though they all list condition as "very good" rather than "like new".
Old 10-12-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Traded in a bunch over the weekend. (around $350) Made some room to fill up again with overpriced TV show sets.
Old 10-12-04, 09:19 AM

I traded in:

Surviving the game
Rosewood
Dreamcatcher
Avengers {remake}
Driven

They wouldn't take Johnny Suade
Old 10-12-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally posted by Rubix
I noticed some of the used DVDs they sell at my local BB are missing covers and have a generic BB cover. Does this mean that I can trade in DVDs without covers?

Because I found 3 DVDs near my apt's trashbin and can put them in blank DVD cases for trading in. The DVDs were Hidalgo (FS), The Reckoning (FS) and 13 Going On 30 (WS). I'm keeping the last one. Great movie.
Nope, I tried, but they refused to take two of mine without covers back.
Old 10-12-04, 11:55 AM

So some of you guys can buy new games and also pre-order new games? I called two blockbusters near me and they only told me that they sell used games. Does this just vary by store? If so, I might have to get some gift cards and do some driving.
Old 10-12-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by me7h0dman
So some of you guys can buy new games and also pre-order new games? I called two blockbusters near me and they only told me that they sell used games. Does this just vary by store? If so, I might have to get some gift cards and do some driving.
Needs to be a "Gamerush" store.
Old 10-12-04, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by rexinnih
Traded in a bunch over the weekend. (around $350) Made some room to fill up again with overpriced TV show sets.
Same here. Got about $400 which went to the South Park sets and some Fox TV sets.
Old 10-12-04, 12:37 PM

Wow.. this thread is getting way too long... I stopped around page 30... but there might be a corrleation between the "gamerush" test areas and the areas that buy back used DVDs... Just a thought.
Old 10-12-04, 12:42 PM

Did everyone get Tax included? I didn't. Wasn't gonna fight over $4. Traded in 10 for $80. I took the store credit, sometimes I lose giftcards.

Starship Troopers (1st non 16X9 dvd)
Resident Evil (old version)
Star Trek First Contact (SE on the way)
Ultimate Fights
Universal Soldier (old one non 16X9)
Mars Attacks
Rumble in the Bronx
X-Men (first DVD, not 1.5)
Executive Decision
Dumb and Dumber

I know..but I've seen D&D and Mars Attacks alot, probably never watch them again. On Ebay I would only get about $35-40 before fees. So it's a good deal.

Last edited by sirbrady; 10-12-04 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-12-04, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by bmello
Needs to be a "Gamerush" store.
Ahhh....there's one about 30 minutes away from me. Thanks!
Old 10-12-04, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Taxes are only in SOME states.,
BBV should not take back DVD's without covers. The reason for selling some, is they are extra rentals that they transfered to used and did not have coverart for.
Old 10-12-04, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
If Blockbuster is adding sales tax on the trade in doesn't that technically mean you have to pay the state for the sales tax you collected?
Old 10-12-04, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No - the idea is, if this were a normal trade-in, the value would be deducted from the price and you would not pay tax on it. If you trade in an old disc and they sell you a new one for $12.99, you pay tax on the $12.99 not the full price of the new disc.

Since this is a sort of delayed trade-in, they SHOULD pay you tax - which you in turn will use to pay the tax on your purchase. Otherwise, the government is double-dipping - they will collect tax when you use your credit, as well as when someone purchases your trade-in.
Old 10-12-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Taxes are only in SOME states.,
And why is that?
Old 10-12-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Peep
And why is that?
The state sets the rules - some states are greedy and like to double dip, mine included. They tax food, clothing, medicine, and there is a yearly tax on each car (roughly 1%).
Old 10-12-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by NCYankee
Seems like our early experiences were very similar. I have recently replaced scratched BBV copies of Gladiator DTS and Die Another Day with mint copies I got from pawnshops for ~$5, and am trading my old copies in.

If you are interested, there are several copies of The Mummy Returns on Amazon marketplace under $5 + $2.49 shipping. I got a mint copy a few months back for $5 - CDwarehouses usually have mint copies, though they all list condition as "very good" rather than "like new".
Thanks for the heads up but a lot of the DVDs that I bought during my early DVD buying days from BBV during their Buy 2, get 1 free sales now have an MSRP of $14.95. At some point in time, they'll be part of a 3 for $20 or 2 for $15 deal at Best Buy, or I could always wait for DDD.com's 20% off sale (assuming that they have it again).
Old 10-12-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by marty888
I believe it is November 1 - which would make sense, since almost all BB promotions and specials end on a Monday, with any new ones starting on Tuesdays.
It sure would be nice if a 3 for $25 deal was starting on November 2nd.
Old 10-12-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Meatpants
It sure would be nice if a 3 for $25 deal was starting on November 2nd.
I have been told by several employees to expect a sale around Thanksgiving, so it could happen - if not right then, within the next week or two.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.