Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: An "Extinction Level Event" for the Direct Market

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Coronavirus: An "Extinction Level Event" for the Direct Market

Old 05-30-20, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: Coronavirus: An "Extinction Level Event" for the Direct Market

Are there any major DC/Marvel comic series which were done purely as graphic novels/trade paperbacks, without doing the monthly floppies first at all?

The only ones I can think of offhand, are a few marginal limited series based on World of Warcraft. Basically stuff which was largely forgettable.

After the various WoW series was cancelled circa 2010-2011, all the further stuff they had planned also died. Though several years later, the "planned" stuff which was already finished was eventually released straight to graphic novels. I didn't know about it, until I came across them on amazon. (I never seen floppies of these later series, and various comic book databases didn't have these later series listed as individual floppies).
Old 05-30-20, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy View Post
Are there any major DC/Marvel comic series which were done purely as graphic novels/trade paperbacks, without doing the monthly floppies first at all?

The only ones I can think of offhand, are a few marginal limited series based on World of Warcraft. Basically stuff which was largely forgettable.

After the various WoW series was cancelled circa 2010-2011, all the further stuff they had planned also died. Though several years later, the "planned" stuff which was already finished was eventually released straight to graphic novels. I didn't know about it, until I came across them on amazon. (I never seen floppies of these later series, and various comic book databases didn't have these later series listed as individual floppies).
Thereís the Earth One series of graphic novels, but itís been almost two years since the last one came out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cate..._novel_series)
Old 05-30-20, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

As major joe mentioned, the Earth One books from DC are like that. Marvel had a series of graphic novels 4-6 years ago, including one that introduces Peter Parker,s sister. Back in the 80ís both Marvel and DC had their graphic novel lines. Marvel had stories that have become classics like The Death of Captain Marvel, X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills and The New Mutants. Jack Kirbyís final New Gods story was part of that graphic novel line, and was called Hunger Dogs
Old 05-30-20, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
As major joe mentioned, the Earth One books from DC are like that. Marvel had a series of graphic novels 4-6 years ago, including one that introduces Peter Parker,s sister.
I was mostly thinking of recent times, over the past decade or so.

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Back in the 80ís both Marvel and DC had their graphic novel lines. Marvel had stories that have become classics like The Death of Captain Marvel, X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills and The New Mutants. Jack Kirbyís final New Gods story was part of that graphic novel line, and was called Hunger Dogs
I remember several of these.

I had the Hunger Dogs and New Mutants graphic novels from the 80s. I vaguely remember an X-Men one, but never purchased it. I don't remember the Captain Marvel one.

Old 05-30-20, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

I was mostly thinking of recent times, over the past decade or so.

I remember several of these.

I had the Hunger Dogs and New Mutants graphic novels from the 80s. I vaguely remember an X-Men one, but never purchased it. I don't remember the Captain Marvel one.
The X-men one is the (uncredited?) basis for the movie X-men 2. They also published more non superhero stuff, like Dreadstar, Star Slammers, and Alien Legion. I think it was a try to emulate the European graphic novels/albums. On the DC side I remember distinctly that the Hunger Dogs was like the only superhero-related one they published, everything else was non super hero. I still remember the Metalzoic one with robotic dinosaurs.

I believe there used to be a distinction (maybe just in my own head) where "graphic novels" were usually original works and Trade Paperbacks (tpbs) were collected works.

They also did prestige format books for a while, notably elseworlds like the Dark Knight Returns (which was the first), Red Son, the Golden Age (which kind of became integrated into the regular DC Universe), Justice League: the Nail and special books like Darkseid vs. Galactus: the Hunger or the original Books of Magic mini series. I think Black Label was supposed to be like this but I never picked any of them up.

Also, DC at least started publishing some school-aged/YA paperbacks that are basically graphic novels that to my knowledge weren't available elsewhere before. There's a Raven one by Kami Garcia, Catwoman: Under the Moon, Mera: Tidebreaker, Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass and a Wonder Woman one I can never seem to find on amazon. These are standalone and probably the best way to try to get kids to read comics and not call them comics (seriously, look at the sales of something like Dog Man). So of course they're probably going to go away.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (06-25-20)
Old 06-18-20, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

I thought this was a more appropriate thread for this than the DC/Diamond thread, though they are related:

I wonder how many LCS's have just closed up shop permanently after this. I know places are just starting to open up. I also know some LCS's probably switched over to mail order to hold them over.
a) I'm not sure how many LCS's were able to get stimulus money. Most of that was reliant on retaining staff and I can't see these stores retaining staff just to get stimulus money, since that would still be a net negative if you're only doing mail order and don't need the extra hands
b) Switching people to mail order will run into the problem of people getting used to it and switching permanently to DCBS or something similar where the discounts are insane.
c) Diamond was shut down, DC has their own distribution now with lots of controversy and a bit of an extra expense, and publishers have switched some comics to digital, which I'm sure isn't endearing themselves to collectors. I wonder if some have just given up on monthly. I said it before but take away the monthly drip for even a little bit and it's much easier to wean yourself off of the addiction.

Any anecdotal stories from people here? Are your LCS's still going strong? Or still going at all?
Old 06-18-20, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Any anecdotal stories from people here? Are your LCS's still going strong? Or still going at all?
The two stores I go to in San Diego are still open and seem to be doing OK (Yesteryear Comics and Southern California Comics). I bought about $75 of TPBs from each of them a couple weeks ago.
Old 06-18-20, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

After a drive-up visit a few weeks ago, my LCS reopened last week. I went yesterday. They insisted on masks had hand sanitizer and gloves for customers as they enter. I balked at the idea of greasing up my hands in a comic book store, so I squeezed into gloves. The place wasn't busy, but I don't think I've ever seen it really busy. I'm just glad it's still in business and hope they do well as the country reopens.
Old 06-18-20, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My local LCS opened about a month ago and business has been extremely slow. Other LCS around NC are doing bad too. A mix of not a lot merchandise coming through, the pandemic and the loss of jobs by many people who buy these products has affected LCS (as well as many other businesses) in the nation. So far, I heard that a total of 15 shops have close permanently since late March. I know of 1 store in the area who was doing horribly before the pandemic and is doing even worse now.
Old 06-23-20, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Meanwhile my store in NC is rockin, buying and selling like normal. But they were already kicking ass to begin with. Huge eBay store, floor inventory online with Comics Hub, early curbside when this hit, and opened up fully with Phase 2, mask required.
Old 06-23-20, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Meanwhile my store in NC is rockin, buying and selling like normal. But they were already kicking ass to begin with. Huge eBay store, floor inventory online with Comics Hub, early curbside when this hit, and opened up fully with Phase 2, mask required.
Those guys are really on top of things. Wish I live closer to there to make them my LCS.
The following users liked this post:
stingermck (06-24-20)
Old 06-24-20, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

c) Diamond was shut down, DC has their own distribution now with lots of controversy and a bit of an extra expense, and publishers have switched some comics to digital, which I'm sure isn't endearing themselves to collectors. I wonder if some have just given up on monthly. I said it before but take away the monthly drip for even a little bit and it's much easier to wean yourself off of the addiction.

The store I frequent was closed for over 2 months. I had a pull list of about 8-10 titles with them. I intended to stick with collecting initially but as time went on, I made the decision to stop. The fact that some companies were reopening and starting to distribute books again while my store was still closed made it an even easier decision. Going on a scavenger hunt to track down issues I missed just isn't something I wanted to do.
Old 06-24-20, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Going on a scavenger hunt to track down issues I missed just isn't something I wanted to do.
Just a few clicks on my comic shop.com and you're done.