Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: An "Extinction Level Event" for the Direct Market

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Coronavirus: An "Extinction Level Event" for the Direct Market

Old 05-11-20, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts
Re: Coronavirus: An "Extinction Level Event" for the Direct Market

People take Hibbs' market analysis way too seriously. He's one owner based out of California. It's just one viewpoint in an industry filled with a couple thousand small business owners.
Old 05-11-20, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Here’s a good series of articles that pushback on some of that BS from Brian Hibbs.
https://www.comicsbeat.com/the-coron...lp-us-survive/
I'm sorry, but that guy is way off in saying that the number of engagements on social media is worse that giving the store ordering numbers to Midtown or DCBS. First of all, the data of engagements on social media, be it Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or even Tik Tok is only given to the owner of the social media account, not the general public like Schatz says in the article. The number of likes or comments doesn't equal the reach of a post, at all. Second, giving the store purchase numbers to a company like Midtown or DCBS is bad, as they are competition and they have been manipulating the market by offering the same product online at a much cheaper rate than anyone else in the business. As I mentioned before, they have done this with many new hot books and variants.

I don't care either way about Brian Hibbs, some of the old school ways LCS behave and their aversion to having comics outside LCS. I believe that Diamond is a monopoly that has done more harm that good to the business and they need competition, but having Midtown and DCBS as the new distributors is akin as to having Wal-Mart and Target distribute every product to every other store in the nation. Simply, it doesn't make sense business-wise but even worse, it doesn't make the business grow at all or solve any of the issues that it currently has. It simply adds a new one as it has happened over the past several weeks. For example, DC now allows retailers to sell their books on Tuesday thanks to DCBS and Midtown's changes. Every other book from every other company is sold on Wednesday. Majority of the customers aren't going to visit the LCS, specially with the ongoing pandemic, on back to back days. So now you have situations where a customer will only go on Tuesday to pick up DC books and don't come back to check other companies the next day or customers coming in on Wednesday and potentially missing DC books because they sold out the day before. Basically, it's causing another rift in the business just because DC, Midtown and DCBS got greedy.
Old 05-15-20, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 586 Likes on 338 Posts

I received an email from CGC about helping the comic industry recovery. The website that gives more info is here: https://backthecomeback.com Obviously, you will form your own opinions about such an effort. I don't do social media, so I can't help that way, but I may buy a t-shirt.

Old 05-15-20, 04:59 PM
Banned

DC announced that the last 3 issues of The Terrifics and the last 2 issues of Supergirl will be digital only. This is really a big fuck you to the fans of both books.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-r...-digital-only/
The following users liked this post:
The Valeyard (05-16-20)
Old 05-15-20, 05:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
DC announced that the last 3 issues of The Terrifics and the last 2 issues of Supergirl will be digital only. This is really a big fuck you to the fans of both books.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-r...-digital-only/
They will be printed in the last trade paperbacks for each series. It's not great for anyone who collects individual issues, but it will see print.
Old 05-15-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Most people who are collecting the individual issues aren't going to want to buy a tpb just for two issues that were denied them. That does seem a little ridiculous.
The Valeyard (05-16-20)
Old 05-15-20, 07:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Better than not getting them at all I guess. Just like music, books, and movies, mostly digital is inevitable at this point.
Old 05-15-20, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Better than not getting them at all I guess. Just like music, books, and movies, mostly digital is inevitable at this point.
Fuck digital comics.

Seriously, I'm very much a physical media kind of person. I like to see the package, I like to hold the book while I'm reading it. As with movies and music I will buy as much physical media as I can while I can.

I've probably got about 75% of all the titles I really want in the form of Omnibi, Hardcover collections (Masterworks, etc), and TPB's. By the time they stop printing them I'll probably have 90% - 95% of all the titles I want. I don't know if I'll ever bother with digital given that fact.
Old 05-15-20, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Fuck digital comics.

Seriously, I'm very much a physical media kind of person. I like to see the package, I like to hold the book while I'm reading it. As with movies and music I will buy as much physical media as I can while I can.

I'm the same. Heck, I still read the physical newspaper every day!

My interest is in older comics now anyway, so if the new stuff goes all digital, I simply won't bother with it. Nothin' beats the musty smell of an old comic book!
Old 05-16-20, 12:39 PM

Fuck digital comics.

I've probably got about 75% of all the titles I really want in the form of Omnibi, Hardcover collections (Masterworks, etc), and TPB's. By the time they stop printing them I'll probably have 90% - 95% of all the titles I want. I don't know if I'll ever bother with digital given that fact.
Cool, but then you’ll be missing out on all the new comics over your remaining decades. I love my 70s and 80s comics, but wow they just keep getting better and better.
Old 05-16-20, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would have been heartbroken if the recent Harleen graphic novel had been only available on digital. That art looks beautiful on the printed page.
Old 05-18-20, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoa! My Local(ish) Comic Book Store is reopening this week!!!!1! Curbside service only, but at least I can get my New Comic fix! I should have a few books in my pull list that I couldn't get due to the shutdown.
Good times!
Old 05-18-20, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Whoa! My Local(ish) Comic Book Store is reopening this week!!!!1! Curbside service only, but at least I can get my New Comic fix! I should have a few books in my pull list that I couldn't get due to the shutdown.
Good times!
I went to a local comic store on Saturday and picked up a copy of Spider-Man- Origin of the Hobgoblin. Curbside, but it was nice to actually go to a comic store and buy something. The owner was saying that he thought they might be opening up in a couple weeks. It would be limited to 3 customers at a time, mandatory masks and a shot of hand sanitizer on the way in, but they'd be open!
Old 05-19-20, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to a local comic store on Saturday and picked up a copy of Spider-Man- Origin of the Hobgoblin. Curbside, but it was nice to actually go to a comic store and buy something. The owner was saying that he thought they might be opening up in a couple weeks. It would be limited to 3 customers at a time, mandatory masks and a shot of hand sanitizer on the way in, but they'd be open!
Greasy hand sanitizer before handling comics??!! NOPE!!!
fujishig (05-19-20)
Old 05-19-20, 10:15 AM

Mine is slowly re-opening too. Front door open but blocked by a desk, they’ll grab whatever you want. I normally wait for sales, but bought some boxes to help them out.
Old 05-19-20, 12:01 PM
Banned

DC announced yesterday that a spinoff miniseries to DCEASED would be released today digital first (only), with no plans to to put it in print. Don't know who's behind this movement at DC but if they think this is going to make them stronger or something, they have another thing coming.
Old 05-19-20, 07:37 PM
Banned

Yeah... pass

Old 05-19-20, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ At least a lot of the attendees will be wearing masks.
Old 05-20-20, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Cosplay in a hazmat suit.
Old 05-27-20, 07:14 PM
Banned

I'm pissed at this decision since I'm reading all 3 series. I'm certainly not going to pick up the trades of these issues to finish my run or going to buy them digitally when they come out. This type of decision will certainly kill the business as people see this as a jumping off point. If they started the series as a floppy, they should have finished it all the way through.

Published May 27, 2020

Marvel Comics Reveals Additional Release Dates for New Digital-First Titles

Complementing Marvel Comics’ in-store releases, Marvel will release digital-first titles like 'Revenge of the Cosmic Ghost Rider,' 'Valkyrie: Jane Foster,' 'Scream: Curse of Carnage,' and more for fans to escape into the Marvel Universe!

by Marvel
As True Believers celebrate the return of new Marvel comics in stores today, fans everywhere will be able to continue some of their favorite Marvel series digitally starting next week! These select digital-first issues join those announced earlier this month for fans to enjoy as everyone continues to practice social distancing.

New issues for series like REVENGE OF THE COSMIC GHOST RIDER, VALKYRIE: JANE FOSTER, SCREAM: CURSE OF CARNAGE, and more will be made available digitally for readers to access from their own homes. These comics will only be available as digital comics for the time being; however, they will be available in print collections later this year for fans looking to add them to their Marvel bookshelves. More information about these comics will be shared at a later date.

To jump into these new issues or start from the very beginning, download the Marvel Comics app for iOS or Android or visit comiXology!

To learn more about Marvel’s comic book release schedule, visit Marvel.com, and be sure to ask your local comic book shop about their current business policies to observe social distancing or other services they may offer, including holding or creating pull lists, curbside pick-ups, special deliveries and other options to accommodate. Find and support your local comic book shop at comicshoplocator.com or by visiting marvel.com/lovecomicshops.

Marvel Comics Release Schedule (Digital-First):

Wednesday, June 3:

Wednesday, June 17:

Wednesday, July 1:

Old 05-27-20, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

That's some serious BS.
Old 05-29-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd be hopping mad if I read those books.
Old 05-29-20, 08:16 PM
Banned

Lots of cancellations and digital only moves today at DC, including a lot of Dollar Books and Facsimiles. The cancellation of these reprints really don't make sense since they actually sell pretty well at stores. I don't know what the hell is going on at DC but it seems that they are using the pandemic as an excuse to undo a lot of Didio's plans. It seems that the 5G era is no more too as the FCBD book is not listed anywhere.

Old 05-29-20, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

It sounds like a lot of these books were being canceled, and they decided to cut their losses and just put out the remaining issues digitally.

I wonder if House of Whispers was canceled, or if the story was just over. Don't know what to make of Lucifer switching over to digital for its next arc. That book obviously isn't canceled if they're keeping it going unless the creative team was way ahead of schedule. Those Sandman Universe titles (legacy Vertigo titles) probably do well in TPB, so this might be a way of switching the line over to digital singles/print TPB.

Or it could be DC floating the idea of abandoning print, and this is the trial balloon.
Old 05-30-20, 08:02 AM
Banned

If DC abandons print, then they are done. Sad to say but the collector's are carrying this market, not the readers. I imagine they know this, but corporations after mergers love doing some dumb shit, so you never know.

The book I'm most surprised about being cancelled is Kate Spencer's Manhunters. It was supposed to be a spinoff from the Bendis Leviathan mini-series and by cancelling this, basically they are cancelling a Bendis storyline. If you don't know the end of that Leviathan series reveals
Spoiler:

Mark Shaw, former Manhunter, is now the head of Leviathan. This was supposed to be a big reveal but the reality was that the reaction flopped with readers.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.