Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-14, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

All 78 issues of Powers are 99 cents each, or $64.99 for them all. The sale runs through the 24th.
Old 03-22-14, 08:27 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

There is also a sale on The Killer from Archaia, all 15 issues or $9 for the collections of the first 10, sale through the 23rd.
Old 03-22-14, 01:19 PM

There are also a few new freebies in the Marvel app since the last I checked a couple weeks ago.
Old 03-22-14, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
All 78 issues of Powers are 99 cents each, or $64.99 for them all. The sale runs through the 24th.
But is it really 'all'? The annuals appear to be missing, and wasn't there a bunch of bonus material in the printed collections? I've only bought the first few collections so far, and want to own it all. Am tempted by the $65 bundle, but it seems like I'll be missing out on a fair amount of content.
Old 03-23-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like the bundle doesn't have everytthing, but the other stuff is on sale. Getting everything will run you about $75.
Old 03-23-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dark Horse has a bundle of 77 Hellboy comics for $50.

https://digital.darkhorse.com/profil...ay-megabundle/
Old 03-23-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

My bootlegs & official scans look decent but the HD releases on Comixology may make me a new convert. Plus I really like the special way you can "smart" read the comics (whatever they call it.)

So... a couple of quick questions that have likely been covered before but I don't want to go over a tons of pages:

I know the Marvel Unlimited app is a completely different anuimal but is there any use in having the normal Marvel or DC app if you have the ocmixology app?

I assume that if comixology goes under, all your comics that you bought are gone with them?

If you skip a current title sale, do they repeat sales often so you can catch the same title maybe at a different time?

I see that the original publishing date is on the website page but appears to be missing on the info pages in their app. Am I just overlooking it in the app?
Old 03-23-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
My bootlegs & official scans look decent but the HD releases on Comixology may make me a new convert. Plus I really like the special way you can "smart" read the comics (whatever they call it.)
Too bad Comixology doesn't have a program like iTunes Match.

So... a couple of quick questions that have likely been covered before but I don't want to go over a tons of pages:

I know the Marvel Unlimited app is a completely different anuimal but is there any use in having the normal Marvel or DC app if you have the ocmixology app?
Not really, I guess. Unless the Marvel and DC apps have special features that Comixology doesn't, like the ability to read free books.

I assume that if comixology goes under, all your comics that you bought are gone with them?
Presumably, yes. The comics are DRMed and tied to your Comixology account. You might still be able to read whatever you have stored locally, though.
Old 03-23-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you skip a current title sale, do they repeat sales often so you can catch the same title maybe at a different time?

I see that the original publishing date is on the website page but appears to be missing on the info pages in their app. Am I just overlooking it in the app?
There are regularly free books that only pop up in the Marvel app. This used to happen in the DC app too, but not for awhile. I find it's worth having every version of the apps to grab the extra Freebies.

Comixology has said in the past that people won't lose all their books if they go under, but they didn't give any specifics on what would happen. Probably because they're doing pretty well at the moment.

But there was at least one Comic app that has gone underbooks people got to keep the books They had on there. I'm forgetting which app it was.
Old 03-23-14, 03:54 PM

Yeah, the guided view mode works better than I thought it would; I pretty much use it all the time now.

The Marvel and DC apps are basically limited versions of the full Comixology app; and everything you buy in one will end up in the other. One advantage of keeping and checking all three is that sometimes freebies only show up in one of them, mainly the Marvel app.

And yes, if Comixology goes under you lose everything. I'm sure Marvel and DC, at least, would rewrite their app to let you maintain your library somehow, in time. But I don't think we need to worry about them going under. Personally, the only way I'd find downloads 'the old fashioned way' is if stuff I legally purchased (they say rent to be technical) becomes unavailable for whatever reason; but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Yes, sales are often repeated, but is guess there are no set patterns or guarantees; and there is a ton of stuff that has never been on sale.

Yeah, the original publishing date looks off most of the time. I think they use the date it was first made available digitally, so it's often decades wrong.
Old 03-23-14, 04:08 PM

No new sales, freebies, or bundles on Comixology today; but at least one of the current six sales is ending.

Amazon Kindle has matched the Justice League collections sale, with a couple of them being slightly cheaper.
Old 03-23-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the answers.

Out of curiosity, have any of you found that titles that were once available have been pulled and are no longer available ala Netflix?
Old 03-23-14, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Thanks everyone for all the answers.

Out of curiosity, have any of you found that titles that were once available have been pulled and are no longer available ala Netflix?
There's really no reason that should happen outside of a company pulling out of Comixology, which is possible. In theory, it's something that could happen, but if a company were to pull their books from paid readers it would generate a lot of ill-will for the company.

They still have the IDW Doctor Who books for sale even though the publisher no longer holds the license.

I also seem to recall reading that Dark Horse will still have their Star Wars comics available for purchasers to view on their app after the license goes to Marvel at the end of the year, though they won't be able to sell them.
Old 03-24-14, 06:24 AM

Hopefully they'll have a blowout sale on the Star Wars stuff before the end.

Marvel Monday is on Spider-Man Brand New Day, 104 books iirc.
Old 03-24-14, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the DC First Wave stuff (Spirit, Doc Savage) have been removed since DC lost the license, but they still show up in your purchases and you can redownload them.
Old 03-25-14, 06:19 AM

Two new sales start today - actually, I finally realized that they apparently start/end at 2300. I happened to be on the Comixology app at that moment when the banners refreshed and the sales changed.

First is a three day sale from IDW on most of their X-Files stuff. I already had a bit of it from earlier sales, and plan to pick this batch up too. Some of it reprints some of the Topps stuff from back at the show's height, and it was decent stuff iirc.
Old 03-25-14, 06:26 AM

DC is having a week long big Green Arrow sale. 166 books from 1941 to the present!

The Crossed sale continues, as does the one on those Marvel collections (which, fwiw, I was able to return to Amazon and buy here).
Old 03-25-14, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe some of those Topps X-Files books had art by Charlie Adlard, who now does The Walking Dead, in case people are interested in checking out his earlier material.
Old 03-26-14, 09:15 AM

No new sales, bundles, or freebies so far today.

I recently bought a bunch of the bundles and decided that I'm "all in" on digital comics. It's mainly a space thing. Between gutter loss and the space that thousands of floppies and graphic novels take up, I'm really enjoying comics on my ipad.
Old 03-26-14, 09:42 AM

Correction, a new freebie from Marvel today, Silver Surfer Infinite, one of those digital only books.
Old 03-26-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
No new sales, bundles, or freebies so far today.

I recently bought a bunch of the bundles and decided that I'm "all in" on digital comics. It's mainly a space thing. Between gutter loss and the space that thousands of floppies and graphic novels take up, I'm really enjoying comics on my ipad.
Who are you, and what have you done with the real Trevor?
Old 03-26-14, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Who are you, and what have you done with the real Trevor?
I know. It's not like I'm going cold turkey and getting rid of my storage site or anything; but that Alan Smithee thread has scared me silly.
Old 03-26-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's it. You're out of my DVDTalk Will of hoarded media.
Old 03-26-14, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000
That's it. You're out of my DVDTalk Will of hoarded media.
Out of it? I AM the estate! You're getting my boxes of Minnesota media, David and Travis my 40 longboxes of comics, Chad my horror DVDs, Supermallet my Bible, etc etc
Old 03-27-14, 06:36 AM

No new sales, freebies, or bundles today. The Crossed, Green Arrow, Marvel collections, and X-Files sales continue.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.