Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Old 08-19-13, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
In the latest issue 113, they said ALL OUT WAR starting with issue 115 it will be a 12 comic arc and they will pump them out in 7 months time.

Back to the Crossed. I read all the crossed issues, sick stuff, really pushed my limits but I poured through them. Now I am reading Y the Last Man, it's a 60 issue run. I am half way through. It's alright in that I am actually still reading it, but it's a bit boring compared to WD and the Crossed. Going to try Preacher or whatever it is called next.
Crossed is good if you stick with the Garth Ennis issues. In his issues every atrocity you've seen actually is pulled from real cases he researched (mostly in 3rd world countries) of conflicts between religions. Other authors didn't keep up with that rule.

Both Y and Preacher are fantastic reads. Both have a really good pay-off at the end.
Old 10-08-13, 10:06 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Today starts a weeklong Walking Dead sale at Comixology; all 114 issues are 99 cents each or slightly cheaper in the collections.
Old 12-01-13, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Just read the latest TPB (issues 109-114) and am still enjoying the series. I really thought
Spoiler:
Rick was going to blow away Negan there. Alas, no such luck.
Old 12-01-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Months later, and I still hate this Negan arc.
Old 12-01-13, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I read the first four or five trades because I came to it through the TV show and heard all of the hype within the comics community, I wasn't all that knocked out, to be honest.
Old 12-02-13, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Months later, and I still hate this Negan arc.
I don't know that I hate it, but it's not doing much for me.
Old 12-03-13, 01:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I read the first four or five trades because I came to it through the TV show and heard all of the hype within the comics community, I wasn't all that knocked out, to be honest.
Yep. It's not as good as it is hyped to be. In many ways the TV show was making many improvements over the source material, but now Kirkman is taking more control over the TV show leading it to be more like the comics.
Old 12-03-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by madcougar
I don't know that I hate it, but it's not doing much for me.
I think i'm just bored because other then the ridiculous over the top cussing (seriously like I said before, he's like Solid Snake here), there's just nothing new or interesting happening since issue 100 except a bunch of posturing from each side.
Old 12-03-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think i'm just bored because other then the ridiculous over the top cussing (seriously like I said before, he's like Solid Snake here), there's just nothing new or interesting happening since issue 100 except a bunch of posturing from each side.
I think once the world goes to shit, a bit more of the potty-mouth will probably come out in people. But even then, it's not everyone swearing, it's one person with a lot of lines swearing.

And honestly, if you've ever worked a physical labor job, you'd know that this guy would be a pussy-cat next to some of the really filthy people out there. Negan isn't that bad really, he sits about at the same level of cursing as an adult softball player eating pizza after losing a game.
Old 12-03-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Navinabob
I think once the world goes to shit, a bit more of the potty-mouth will probably come out in people. But even then, it's not everyone swearing, it's one person with a lot of lines swearing.

And honestly, if you've ever worked a physical labor job, you'd know that this guy would be a pussy-cat next to some of the really filthy people out there. Negan isn't that bad really, he sits about at the same level of cursing as an adult softball player eating pizza after losing a game.
Just because there are people in real life that spend that much time saying fuck doesn't mean it's any less ridiculous to hear, and more stupid to read in print. Fuck.
Old 12-08-13, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kodave
Yep. It's not as good as it is hyped to be. In many ways the TV show was making many improvements over the source material, but now Kirkman is taking more control over the TV show leading it to be more like the comics.
I'd just heard "Oh, you won't be able to stop reading it once you start!" I don't find it particularly mind-blowing, it's OK, but nothing I'd go out of my way for, I just get them from the library and read them that way. George Romero himself blasted The Walking Dead TV show recently, saying "It's just a soap opera," but I think that while it didn't make him too popular, I think he had a point. Romero's zombie movies are about something. Kirkman's stuff is interesting up to a point, but from what I've read, it basically plays like a soap with some post-apocalyptic stuff thrown in. His idea that it should be "a movie that never ends" sort of misses the point of a movie, IMO. I enjoy it OK, but as far as comics I've read that have really changed my mind about what comics can do, The Walking Dead isn't exactly in the top tier.

Just because there are people in real life that spend that much time saying fuck doesn't mean it's any less ridiculous to hear, and more stupid to read in print. Fuck.
There's a way to use swearing in some sort of context where the dialogue has a feel and a flow, and the profanity can be part of it. There are writers who can do that-David Mamet, Elmore Leonard, David Simon, Richard Price, Quentin Tarantino, and others-and can give it a certain poetic feel and flow. Realistically representing the way people talk is all very well, but content dictates form. "Realism" is in the substance, not how you show every drop of blood and explicit action in extremely literal detail.
Old 04-11-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Am I the only person who cheering out loud at the end of the last Walking Dead issue? I laughed my ass off. I honestly think it was the single best moment of the series so far.
Old 04-11-14, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Am I the only person who cheering out loud at the end of the last Walking Dead issue? I laughed my ass off. I honestly think it was the single best moment of the series so far.
Spoiler:
I was believing every word Rick was saying and was surprised to see Negan agreeing with him. Then bam! Knife to the throat!
Old 04-11-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've disliked this entire arc, so I was just happy to see something happen between the two rather then them meeting and talking with nothing happening yet again.
Old 04-11-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Thought it was awesome, even though we don't know the result of his actions yet.
Old 04-12-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Spoiler:
I was believing every word Rick was saying and was surprised to see Negan agreeing with him. Then bam! Knife to the throat!
Yeah, that was kind of fucked up.

I could almost... almost... feel sorry for
Spoiler:
Negan, but then I remembered what he did to Glenn and Abraham...
Old 04-13-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Which issue # is it? I'm reading via TPB so pretty sure I'm not caught up to you yet.
Old 04-13-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Up to #125 now.
Old 04-14-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
Which issue # is it? I'm reading via TPB so pretty sure I'm not caught up to you yet.
Honestly, I think the story-line will be much better as a TPB all grouped up. Since the whole arc is just a short time and told as a single narrative, I think that you'll enjoy it once get to it.
Old 04-25-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And that last issue just continues to make me dislike this arc. Absolutely hated Rick's reaction to all of this. Blah.

Last edited by fumanstan; 04-25-14 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-27-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

And that last issue just continues to make me dislike this arc. Absolutely hated Rick's reaction to all of this. Blah.
I'm almost rooting for him to take a fall with his decisions in this past issue.
Old 04-28-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Carl had it right. How long until there is a jail break. Back to once a month.
Old 04-28-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I actually expected the issue to end with...

Spoiler:
Carl killing Negan. I guess there's a chance that could still happen, but I was pretty disappointed that he just verbally agreed with his dad.
Old 04-28-14, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't care for it either, but I do see the reasoning for it, at least in theory. People just can't continue to kill and make war on each other if the human race is going to survive. Unfortunately, we know that there has to be conflict for this story to continue so we already know this isn't going to work in the long run.
Old 05-14-14, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

For all the hate I had for the Negan arc, it was nice and refreshing to see the outcome in this new issue.

Spoiler:
Looked like they jump 2 years ahead, all in relative peace. Kind of neat to see, with Carl growing up and chatting with Negan while still wanting to kill him. Interesting that he calls Andrea mom too.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.