Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 01-24-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's talk zombies, people.

I finally had a chance to read Walking Dead #33 last night, and I have to say that was some of the sickest stuff I've read since Preacher. I had one question though (and I'll spoilerize it, since it is rather disgusting):

Spoiler:
What exactly was Michonne doing to him with the spoon? It looked like she just shoved it up his butt and then used it to scoop out his eyeball. Now I am sure having your eyeball scooped out of your head with a poop covered spoon is pretty bad, but it really wouldn't be the first torture I would think of for a person. Did she maybe heat it up with the blowtorch first?

That was one hell of an issue.
Old 01-24-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That issue was pretty disgusting and I had blocked most of it out.

Thanks for reminding me.

Old 01-25-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
I don't know, I think that issue went so far over the top that it didn't work for me. Just turned me off in a big way, felt like Kirkman showing off how gross he could get. If I want such sadism I'll rent "Saw" or something...
Old 01-26-07, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am really looking forward to reading the letters they get from that issue.
Old 11-15-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Go for the Hardcover "deluxe" books. The price is about the same as getting them as the softer trade paperbacks, but you get a much nicer presentation and paper-stock. There have no one-shots except for a tiny 4-5 page insert in a Christmas Image comic collection book which he later printed in the floppies (and I assume the hard-covers and trades). I've already read the series from a mixture of weekly issues and online scans. I'm getting the Hardcovers at discounts when I find them online and I'm still waiting on deepdiscount to ship my #1 and #3 before I reread the series.

There is also a phonebook like collection of the first 50 issues you can get from amazon for about $35 but I found it too rough to read through.

Also, the series is still going strong at issue 75ish (and still winning multiple awards each year).
Old 11-15-10, 12:16 PM

There are 12 Tpbs so far, with the 13th scheduled for release soon. As for HCs, there are 6 regular hardcovers with 12 issues each, 2 Omnibus releases with 24 issues each, and 1 Compendium with 48 issues. And any way you go you'll be getting everything.

Last edited by lattethunder; 11-15-10 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Because I can't frigging count.
Old 11-15-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really, only six issues per HC? Wow... didn't feel like that when I was paging through them.
Old 11-15-10, 01:15 PM

Dammit. That should be 12 issues each.
Old 11-15-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The omni is really nice, but the first one is nearly impossible to find for cheep (usually about $1,000). The compendium is the best bang for the buck, but you can't loan it out cuz most people won't want to read something that handles like a phone-book.

If you go hard covers route, you can grab them with online coupons for about $20 each if you are patient.
Old 11-15-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Damn, I want to read this and the compendium seems like the cheapest way but it looks like a bitch to actually sit and read

I'm not sure I want to pay that much for the hardcovers
Old 11-15-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are also trade paperbacks, you might be able to find those non-hardcover version on half.com or ebay for not too much money.

This is what is killing me money-wise right now.

http://www.splashpageart.com/ArtistG...g=Walking+Dead
Old 11-15-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid buying a ton of the trades, and those look like they'll add up in cost too at $7 on half.com for volume 1. Decisions decisions.
Old 11-21-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

As I posted in the other thread, I have TPB 1 and have been debating how to proceed. I've been going back and forth between getting the compendium (about $38) and getting TPB 2 followed by the HCs (about $80). I have one Image compendium, The Darkness, and it's way heavy to read. Based on others' feedback, I was about to go TPB/HC until I decided on the compendium. For one thing, I don't expect to be carrying these around to public places that often (don't want the funny looks). For another, I'm not committed enough to the series to plan to spend $80. I know it'd be even more economical to spend another $10 and give up, but my suspicion (based partly on my other experience with Kirkman, Invincible) is that I'll want to continue so I decided to go for the middle ground.
Old 11-26-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I burned through half of the compendium at my MIL's place for Thanksgiving. Other than the weight, which makes me never want to take it anywhere, and the huge spine that I have to handle with care to avoid cracking (because I hate books with cracked spines), I think this volume is pretty readable.

Anyone know without spoilers how many issues the TV series is supposed to encompass (assuming they're following the story)? I've only seen the first episode and would like to watch more.
Old 11-27-10, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
I burned through half of the compendium at my MIL's place for Thanksgiving. Other than the weight, which makes me never want to take it anywhere, and the huge spine that I have to handle with care to avoid cracking (because I hate books with cracked spines), I think this volume is pretty readable.

Anyone know without spoilers how many issues the TV series is supposed to encompass (assuming they're following the story)? I've only seen the first episode and would like to watch more.
Not counting the first episode, the show and the comic maybe has about 20% crossover. At this point I don't think there can be even a comic to episode count conversion. If I had to guess...

Spoiler:
I suspect the last episode this season will be the Rick & Shane confrontation.
Old 11-28-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Not counting the first episode, the show and the comic maybe has about 20% crossover. At this point I don't think there can be even a comic to episode count conversion. If I had to guess...

Spoiler:
I suspect the last episode this season will be the Rick & Shane confrontation.
Interesting, thanks. I have gotten to that part in the comics so I guess I'll keep reading (I'll give those priority as they could certainly rearrange events) then dip into the episodes on demand as I have time.
Old 12-24-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Let's talk zombies, people.

I finally had a chance to read Walking Dead #33 last night, and I have to say that was some of the sickest stuff I've read since Preacher. I had one question though (and I'll spoilerize it, since it is rather disgusting):

Spoiler:
What exactly was Michonne doing to him with the spoon? It looked like she just shoved it up his butt and then used it to scoop out his eyeball. Now I am sure having your eyeball scooped out of your head with a poop covered spoon is pretty bad, but it really wouldn't be the first torture I would think of for a person. Did she maybe heat it up with the blowtorch first?

That was one hell of an issue.
I've been working my way through the compendium and just got through that issue. It was really disgusting and my first thought was back to this thread and wondering if that's what people had been talking about. Thanks for confirming.
Old 12-24-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I started reading this finally too, thanks to my work that has a small library full of geeky stuff. I finished the first hardcover, and have two more to tide me over for the next week or so. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Old 12-24-10, 05:14 PM
Banned

I'm nearing the end of TWD Compendium, and I wanted to thank those of you who recommended it.

I'll be re-reading it within a week of finishing it, I'm sure. It's a great book!
Old 12-24-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm actually reading the compendium at this point too. Really great stuff.
Old 12-26-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just finished Compendium One!

Great series. One would think the concept would get stale (insert your own zombie joke here), but it keeps moving forward and keeping me interested. Now with no other Compendium visible on the horizon, I have to pick up HC #5. The TPBs are a little cheaper, I guess, but I like the look of the HCs and having more issues together.

The Compendium was a bit of a pain to read, but less of an issue than I thought. I couldn't take it on the bus with me, but I probably wouldn't want to read that on the public bus anyway.
Old 12-26-10, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by davidh777
I just finished Compendium One!

Great series. One would think the concept would get stale (insert your own zombie joke here), but it keeps moving forward and keeping me interested. Now with no other Compendium visible on the horizon, I have to pick up HC #5. The TPBs are a little cheaper, I guess, but I like the look of the HCs and having more issues together.

The Compendium was a bit of a pain to read, but less of an issue than I thought. I couldn't take it on the bus with me, but I probably wouldn't want to read that on the public bus anyway.
I'm in the same boat. I can't wait for another Compendium volume after the cliffhanger at the end of the first one. Gotta get the HC's....now!
Old 12-27-10, 01:39 PM
Banned

Well, I just ordered the next five TPBs, the latest of which (volume 13, I believe) is on sale at Amazon for $7.99 today.

That'll keep me hip-deep in zombies for a little while, anyway.
Old 12-27-10, 05:19 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. I knew that AMC's series was based on a graphic novel but, having never really read/collected comics, I had no idea how to go about finding the source material. I just blew through the first 4 HC's over this last week and I can't wait to read #'s 5 and 6. Before December I had no idea what TPB stood for, let alone the differences between an omni and a compendium.

One quick question though. Generally, how quickly are the individual issues released? It seems like there's a new issue every 3-4 weeks, a new volume every 5-6 months and a new HC every year... give or take a couple months. Does that sound about right? I'm just curious when I can expect to see HC book #7. Would June or July '11 sound about right?
Old 12-27-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I breezed through issue 78 in the last 3 days. I almost feel a little bit dirty after all the mayhem and death i've read throughout the series, but damn if I can't stop reading and want to find out what happens further to Rick and his crew. Some of the deaths and actions are just incredibly shocking, yet in the context of the world totally understandable. Yikes, what a trip.

What are the single issues up to now? Can anyone spoiler for me what's been happening for them now in the recent issues?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.