Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Old 09-20-12, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

I wonder if this isn't going to blow up in Rick's face, though.

He's sending "Jesus" out to do recon on Negan. Jesus' real name is Paul Monroe.

When Nagen killed Glenn, he knew Rick's name and he knew that he was the leader of his group.

At the beginning of #100, two Saviors were talking, and one of them mentioned someone named "Paul." What if Paul and Jesus are one and the same? Jesus/Paul might be Nagen's "inside man" at Hilltop. Upon reviewing his actions, he does seem to be at the center of a lot of things, and maybe a little too helpful.

Maybe it's just a coincidence that there are two Pauls running around, or maybe Kirkman's dropping in a red herring...
Old 09-20-12, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Yeah I'd read about the two Pauls thing, but Kirkman has had people with the same name before, since he had said it would be unrealistic for no two people to share a name. Jesus also mentions someone as being the boss (when he first meets Rick), who has a different name than the guy who is actually the boss, so that might be an inconsistency as well.
Old 12-04-12, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since Im not gonna pay an arm and a leg for all the issues should I buy The Walking Dead Compendium 1 & 2 or Book 1-8?
Old 12-04-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd go check out the size of the compendiums and see if they would be difficult for you to read because of their size. If not, go that route since the value is pretty awesome.
Old 12-05-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bobwil54
Since Im not gonna pay an arm and a leg for all the issues should I buy The Walking Dead Compendium 1 & 2 or Book 1-8?
Compendium will be cheaper, but it's HEAVY and a bitch to read. I'd go to the bookstore to see them. I originally bought the TPB, but sold them, and I'm now buying the HC books.
Old 12-09-12, 10:02 PM

Thanks for the info fumanstan and madcougar.
Old 12-10-12, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Navinabob
You guys are funny. Half saying the death was too predicable because it was one of the 3 that was foreshadowed, the other half was bored because because it was typically "shocking" as if that makes some sense.
I loved issue 100, and I'm saddened TWD fans can't be satisfied no matter what. I guess that's the evolution of fandom. Eventually nothing pleases them. Kirkman is great at foreshadowing. Sometimes he injects huge foreshadowing and nothing happens. Sometimes he doesn't and something huge happens.

Glenn's death affected me because of the brutality of it. Watching a wonderful hero be taken down like a piece of dog crap was just shameful.
Old 12-11-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd go check out the size of the compendiums and see if they would be difficult for you to read because of their size. If not, go that route since the value is pretty awesome.
Originally Posted by madcougar
Compendium will be cheaper, but it's HEAVY and a bitch to read. I'd go to the bookstore to see them. I originally bought the TPB, but sold them, and I'm now buying the HC books.
This and this. After I read the first TPB, I got the Compendium but I couldn't take it on the bus or anything--I had to cart it around like a piece of luggage. Since then I've been getting the trades, mostly because I want to keep up with the story as much as possible without going the floppy route.

I just read TPB 17, with issues 97-102.

Spoiler:
I left this thread for a few months because of the spoiler-y talk about issue 100, and I'm glad to say that I forgot about all that by the time I read the TPB. I found the issue riveting the way it unfolded. I had initially said that the plotline reminded me too much of the Governor, but I think it was really well handled. The worst part was that I had to get off my bus just as Negan was picking and I had to wait till after work to pick it up again. I had also complained about not much happening in the previous six-issue TPB but this made up for it in spades.

Months ago, a friend posted on FB "OMG, they killed Glen!" which I assumed referred to the TV show, but I caught up with season 2 and no such thing happened. Now I guess he meant the comic, which I didn't know he read but am not surprised by. And thankfully, that didn't come to mind while I was reading here. I still don't forgive him for that spoiler, but I should follow up and see if he really is reading since I don't know many people who are.
Old 12-11-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Yeah I was pretty sad at that moment, I've been reading since 2005 and over the years Glen was one of my favorite guys all along. Throughout all of it, he was the guy that brought Rick to his family and was nice guy.
Old 12-11-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm popping in just to ask a few questions. You could even PM me the answer if you want, I'm just trying to avoid any spoilers.

How many issues are there of Walking Dead so far?

When will volume 3 of the large compendium sets be released?

As far as the TV show goes - roughly how many "issues" are they up to at this point?

I am getting volume 1 soon, and I'm getting that Walking Dead game today and I want to go through and totally catch up. Thanks!
Old 12-11-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Walking Dead #105 comes out tomorrow, I believe.

Compendium 2 takes it up to issue #96 already, so I imagine there won't be another release for some time if they follow the number of issues they're including in each one.

My guess is they're around the 40's on the TV show's current arc but since the two aren't really following the same plot there's no real accurate number.
Old 12-11-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Yeah, the Prison/Woodbury/Governor story arc comes to a head in issue #48.

It's sort of difficult to make a strict comic-to-series comparison because the television series only vaguely follows the events of the comic book. It's somewhere between Dexter and Game of Thrones in that regard. It's not as close to the source material as GoT, but it also doesn't go in a completely different direction like Dexter.

Season one of the television series roughly followed issues #1-6 of the comic book, and season two (Hershel's farm) covered the events of #7-12. The prison arc in the comics runs roughly from #12-48, and I would assume that season three will end about where #48 does. Just by the way that season three is unfolding, I have a feeling that the Prison/Woodbury arc will finish by the end of the season.
Old 12-11-12, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the replies guys. Just one more...

Is there an "end date" for the comic or anything like that or are plans for now to keep it going for the foreseeable future?
Old 12-11-12, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Brent L

Is there an "end date" for the comic or anything like that or are plans for now to keep it going for the foreseeable future?
Last I heard, Kirkman said he wanted to keep it going to some very high number. Not sure if that was something he'd thought about or just came up with.

This conversation is giving me a hankering to re-read the Governor arc.
Old 12-12-12, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Last I heard, Kirkman said he wanted to keep it going to some very high number. Not sure if that was something he'd thought about or just came up with.

This conversation is giving me a hankering to re-read the Governor arc.
Kirkman could keep TWD going for years. If he killed Rick, Michonne, and everyone else, he could continue on a whole other group if he wanted to.
Old 12-12-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Negan in this new issue reminds me of Solid Snake PAC here.
Old 12-13-12, 09:38 AM

Issue 105 felt a lot like filler. I admittedly have no idea where it's going, and I really didn't care about anything that happened this issue.
Old 12-13-12, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I may be making this up, but I remember reading an interview where he said (perhaps joking, perhaps not) that he could see the series going 300 issues (the magic Cerebrus number). He also said that this story, was Rick's story, so my assumption was that Rick was the only character who wouldn't die... at least until the last issue.
Old 12-13-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Negan in this new issue reminds me of Solid Snake PAC here.
Old 12-15-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember an interview with kirkman where he says he wants the comic to continue as long as it possibly can, but that he has an ending in mind and it would take about 30 issues to get there if the comic was going to be cancelled.
Old 12-29-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just started reading the first of the two large Walking Dead collections. As a huge fan of the show, I was very shocked at
Spoiler:
the death of Shane
here in the comic.
Old 12-29-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just started reading the first of the two large Walking Dead collections. As a huge fan of the show, I was very shocked at
Spoiler:
the death of Shane
here in the comic.
Yeah, the show doesn't follow the comic closely.
Old 01-02-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, the show doesn't follow the comic closely.
Yeah, I've warned many people who expected a close mirror to be disappointed. It is about as similar as:

to

Sure, somethings are the same. But you can't do something like start watching The Walking Dead from season 3 onward and expect that having read the comics would have caught you up. You'd spend the first few episodes wondering why half the survivors are either dead (or still alive) and trying to figure out why you don't remember the other half from the comics at all.
Old 01-02-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm very pleased that the show doesn't exactly follow the comic. It makes for a different experience, and I'm loving that. I like not knowing for sure what is going to happen in the comic while reading it for the first time right now, but having already watched all of the Walking Dead TV series up to this point.
Old 01-10-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I recieved compendium 1 and 2 for X-mas and I just finishsed compendium 1 last night. It's great that the comics still have a lot of surprises due to the tv show not following it 100%.

The collector in me is however dreading have compendium 1, 2 and a mix of volumes / monthly issues...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.