Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Old 07-04-19, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

I don’t know how well it was selling at the end, but Invincible ended not along too. That and TWD were my Image go-tos for a long time. I drifted away from Saga, and Lazarus went on hiatus.
Old 07-05-19, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Criminal is pretty great, but crime comics are kind of niche.
Old 07-05-19, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Here's a much more detailed synopsis of the issue: https://walkingdead.fandom.com/wiki/Issue_193

The more I think about the less and less I like the ending. It seems really underwhelming and seems a lot darker than Kirkman intended.

I'm really bothered by the idea that
Spoiler:
Carl is being prosecuted for putting down a walker that wandered onto his property. All those things do is attack and kill. What was he supposed to do with it? Once it knew there people living in the house, they couldn't leave the house without endangering themselves. And what the hell is he supposed to do with it? Trap it? Look it up in a shed or his basement? What the hell kind of fucked-up world is this?

I also thought that the main series ended too abruptly, and it still felt like there was more story to tell with the Commonwealth, though I could be wrong there. It still felt really arbitrary like, yeah, Kirkman was thinking more about those 48 issue compendiums than he was about the natural rhythm of the storyline.
Old 07-05-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
He mentions that in the essay at the back. The biggest seller for TWD was the 48-issue compendiums. He wanted the book to be available in four of those. If he extended it to reach 200 it would have essentially meant four compendiums and a TPB.

I'm not sure why it couldn't have been a 54 issue compendium. Probably something to do with print signatures.
That seems like a really really dumb reason to end a series, unless he planned it a while ago and just kept it hidden.

As far as LCS's go, even if this is returnable and they can reorder, are those all first printings and how do they get refunds on the orders they made for the next two books (since they have to order two months in advance?)
Old 07-05-19, 10:17 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 397 Likes on 247 Posts

The Walking Dead TV show creative team: Nobody will fuck up a goldmine this badly ever again!

The Walking Dead comic book creative team: Hold my beer.
Old 07-05-19, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Here's a much more detailed synopsis of the issue: https://walkingdead.fandom.com/wiki/Issue_193

The more I think about the less and less I like the ending. It seems really underwhelming and seems a lot darker than Kirkman intended.

I'm really bothered by the idea that
Spoiler:
Carl is being prosecuted for putting down a walker that wandered onto his property. All those things do is attack and kill. What was he supposed to do with it? Once it knew there people living in the house, they couldn't leave the house without endangering themselves. And what the hell is he supposed to do with it? Trap it? Look it up in a shed or his basement? What the hell kind of fucked-up world is this?

I also thought that the main series ended too abruptly, and it still felt like there was more story to tell with the Commonwealth, though I could be wrong there. It still felt really arbitrary like, yeah, Kirkman was thinking more about those 48 issue compendiums than he was about the natural rhythm of the storyline.
About the spoiler:

Spoiler:

I believe Kirkman's point was to make people see that power makes people out of touch (Maggie and Hershell II), that there will always be spoil brats around (Hershell II) and that people tend to forget history, especially if they didn't live through it. Last one is more of a message to the shit that is going on today. Also, you can get away with a crime if you know the right people (both Hershell and Carl). I'm fine with the first 3 messages, but like you, I'm bittersweet on the abrupt ending. We could have gotten a last storyline, with the same time jump, that lasted from issue 193-200. That way all loose ends are tied right.

A second printing of the issue has been solicited. I don't think it will sell as well as the first printing due the story leaking out and people being pissed about how the series ended so abruptly. I still feel that Kirkman could come out of nowhere an announce a surpise Walking Dead book spinning out of the online-exclusive one-shot Walking Dead: Alien, which would focus on Rick's brother experience with zombies in Spain and throughout Europe and the sea. There's too much of a void in the company right now to be filled by the next great title, whichever that may be. Seven to Eternity is there too, but is on hiatus.
Old 07-05-19, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
That seems like a really really dumb reason to end a series, unless he planned it a while ago and just kept it hidden.

As far as LCS's go, even if this is returnable and they can reorder, are those all first printings and how do they get refunds on the orders they made for the next two books (since they have to order two months in advance?)
in the essay he said he got the idea of when to end it about 50 issues ago. Whenever the carnival was going on.
Old 07-05-19, 04:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig

Pre-orders for new books/solicitations are charged to LCS until they are delivered to the store by UPS. The LCS are either charged at the moment, so they have to pay upon receipt (like my store used to do) or they'll pay for the order either at net 30/60, depending on how the store have managed their credit with Diamond. So, no, none of those solicitations for 194 and 195 have been charged to LCS. As for the returnability of 193, Kirkman knew that it wasn't going to happen. Usually, books that are made returnable by the publisher are books that will tend to sell out at the store level.
Old 07-10-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 980 Likes on 811 Posts

Just read 181-193.

Spoiler:
In general I was OK with the ending, even though it felt abrupt. I guess the idea is that even after all Rick has been through, one d-bag with a gun can end it. And I agree that the trial at the start of the last issue seemed absurd. Was he just supposed to know it was Hershel’s roamer and lead it back to him? I did like the flash-forward that showed where people were.

I don’t think I’ve read any TWD digital singles so it was kind of nice to have the letters pages included, even if a lot of them were repetitive and not that great. I assume the final trade will include Kirkman’s essay from 193, but he also said some interesting things to say in 192 that I would hope will be included.

Anyway, great run, and I’m sure it’s the longest series I’ve read front to back. It had its highs and lows for sure, and I kinda lost interest for a while before picking it back up. But I’m sure I’ll marathon it someday, and with as much old stuff as I read, it was nice to be involved in something current. And I think I mentioned in this thread sometime that the dad of one of my kid’s friends worked on comics, and a little probing and research turned up that he’s Stefano Guadiano, who inked the last 90 or so issues.
Old 06-18-20, 08:48 PM
Banned

I commend Kirkman and Adlard for doing this after they pulled the plug on the series unexpectedly and left store high and dry for the past year.

Old 06-18-20, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wonder how difficult those Negan Lives! comics will be to get a hold of.

Sounds like stores are getting freebies based on their orders for #193, but I think they can buy more on top of their free allotment if they want to.

Old 06-18-20, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Wonder how difficult those Negan Lives! comics will be to get a hold of.

Sounds like stores are getting freebies based on their orders for #193, but I think they can buy more on top of their free allotment if they want to.
They won't be hard to get from what I've heard. Stores will get for free the same amount they ordered for Walking Dead 193 (both printings). I imagine that we'll see around 250K printed. The hard ones to get will be the gold and silver variants. The gold is one per store and the silver is 2 per store.
Old 06-19-20, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They're doing 1:1 for orders of #193, then? I only heard it was based on those orders, so I figured it could have been something like 50%.

This is a really awesome move on Kirkman's and Adlard's part. Free profit for struggling stores (this is a $4.99 book), and then whatever they can sell their three silver and gold copies for. He's basically handing these stores operating capital.
Old 07-01-20, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

My store had a stack of them today and historically, he barely ordered Walking Dead during it's run.
Old 07-18-20, 03:56 PM
Banned

Robert Kirkman announced today that all issues of The Walking Dead will be reprinted in color deluxe editions starting this October. Each issue will also have bonus material printed for the first time