Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Old 11-05-16, 02:26 AM
  #226  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,267
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

The library DOES have the hardcovers. So I'm guessing that's a better way to go?
GatorDeb is offline  
Old 11-11-16, 03:29 PM
  #227  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,680
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
The library DOES have the hardcovers. So I'm guessing that's a better way to go?
For me it was. If your library has both, why not go there and try both. Find a chair and try reading a compendium and a hardcover. I find the hardcovers much easier to read without a table (due to the hardcover) and much more manageable (due to the decreased weight).
jjcool is online now  
Old 11-29-16, 11:28 PM
  #228  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 16,267
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

So my boss told me that he read the volumes first and then the compendiums and that he noticed things missing and double-checked his issues/books and that the compendium skips pages. And I did find them unwieldy. So volumes are definitely the way to go.

Comixology Unlimited has some and my local library has some, both e-issues, but I found it hard to read and cumbersome to zoom in and out on a pc. Then today I got an email about some new stuff added to Hoopla digital (offered through the library) and checked it out again and it's grown extensively. 13 movies I want to watch, books I want to read, 1-9 seasons of Dark Shadows, etc. But also volumes 1-26 of TWD. AND it zooms in to a specific panel and right arrow/left mouse button on right part of the page gets you to the next panel and so on. Great way to read it. All for free of course.
GatorDeb is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 12:51 PM
  #229  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

I hadn't heard of things missing between the individual volumes and issues versus the compendium. That's interesting if true.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 11-30-16, 02:39 PM
  #230  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
jjcool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 6,680
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Ditto on not hearing about stuff missing from some of the collected books. I wonder what was missing? Do the compendiums have the extra stuff that the hardcovers have? What I beleive is cover art, as well as some extra type stuff.

The one thing that I sort of wish they had included in the hardcovers was the cover art in the correct spot in the book. Just as a signpost to know where in the run you are as you read through. The hardcovers do include pages every so often that have something of a title, which I assume corresponds to the trade paperbacks.
jjcool is online now  
Old 06-03-19, 03:23 PM
  #231  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,008
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Just saw the spoiler for issue #192 coming out this week and is HUGE. Don't read if you don't want to get truly spoiled.

Spoiler:

Rick Grimes got shot at the end of issue #191 by Sebastian and it seems Sebastian kills him completely on issue #192. This is all based from the page that got leaked online after some retailers got the merchandise for this week
Red Hood is online now  
Old 07-01-19, 04:27 PM
  #232  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,832
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

...and an even bigger spoiler for #193, the issue coming out this week:

Spoiler:
It's over. #193 is going to be the final issue, even though #194 and #195 have been solicited.


Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 07-01-19, 05:37 PM
  #233  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,204
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

That really sucks for comic book shops.
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-01-19, 06:22 PM
  #234  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,008
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
That really sucks for comic book shops.
Yes it does. Very selfish of Robert Kirkman to do it like this. Many stores arenít ordering as many WD books as they used to due to decrease in popularity of the book. I didnít mind what happened in issue 191 and 192. Thatís part of storytelling, but issue 193 should have announced in advance to prepare comic book stores and for them to increase orders in time. Kirkman just did a big fuck you to all of them
Red Hood is online now  
Old 07-03-19, 06:08 AM
  #235  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,440
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Can someone spoil the ending here (if you get the comic)? Interested to hear how it ends, but not interested enough to go buy an issue.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 07-03-19, 07:12 AM
  #236  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,832
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Can someone spoil the ending here (if you get the comic)? Interested to hear how it ends, but not interested enough to go buy an issue.
If you don't follow the comics, you'll need a bit of context...

Spoiler:

Eugene, using a ham radio, locates another community. They travel to find this community, and discover it's called 'The Commonwealth' and is home to some fifty thousand people. Life is generally pretty good there, they have a large security force and a lot of amenities like sports and cafes. The Commonwealth is run by a woman named Pamela Milton; it is set up so that the people who were in charge in the world before (the 1%, as it were) are now the ones running the Commonwealth while everyone else sort of slaves for them. Milton has an asshole son named Sebastian, who is a spoiled, entitled prick. Anyway, when Rick and his crew arrive, it sort of sparks a rebellion by the working class egged on by Dwight and another former Saviour. Rick is able to put out the fire, but the future of Pamela Milton's reign is uncertain.

At the end of issue #191, Sebastian Milton sneaks into Rick's hotel room and shoots him with a silenced gun.

In the beginning of issue #192, we see Sebastian shoot Rick several more times and finish him off. Carl goes into the room to wake up his father, and discovers Rick's reanimated corpse shambling around the room, and he immediately puts his father down.

Issue #193, the final issue, opens some fifteen or twenty years later. Carl is married to Sophia and they have a daughter named Andrea and live on a farm. A walker comes shambling into Carl's yard, and Carl puts it down. Later, the sheriff shows up at Carl's house and tells him that the walker was owned by Hershel Greene (Glen and Maggie's son), and that Carl is being charged with destroying private property. Hershel owns a sort of sideshow attraction that puts walkers on display, since by this time, they have become rare and almost extinct.

Carl goes to court, and President Maggie Greene makes a surprise appearance and orders the judge to make Carl recapture another walker for Hershel to replace the one he killed. Carl is pissed off, and off-camera, kills the rest of Hershel's walkers. He is then re-arrested, and taken to Judge Hawthorne at the Commonwealth, who turns out to be Michonne. She unilaterally rules in Carl's favor and makes it illegal to own walkers. Carl goes back home, and the final scene is Carl telling the story of Rick to his daughter. The End.

Along the way, we learn that Negan is still alive and living in a house outside of the Safe Zone when Carl goes to drop off supplies, but he isn't home or won't answer the door and we don't see him. President Maggie's kind of a bitch, and her son is spoiled douchebag.. Jesus and Aaron are still together. Lydia is still around, and Carl spends a night on the road with her, refuses her advances and doesn't cheat on Sophia with her. Michonne has a granddaughter. Eugene, who might be sick and dying (or maybe not), has built a railroad connecting the East and West coasts. Princess and Mercer still seem to be together. Laura (former Saviour) is bitter toward Rick and Carl. Sebastian Milton is still in prison for murdering Rick, and being visited by his now wheelchair bound mother.


Not quite sure how I feel about it.

The ending was of the regular storyine in #192 was really abrupt, and it feels like he probably could have gotten another 50 or so issues out of it.

#193 was sort of bittersweet. It's both hopeful and cynical. They're trying to make a better world, but there's still corruption and people are starting to forget how bad things got. Sort of a same as it ever was... same as it ever was... same as it ever was... kind of thing, I suppose.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 07-03-19 at 07:23 AM.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 07-03-19, 11:21 AM
  #237  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,493
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post


Yes it does. Very selfish of Robert Kirkman to do it like this. Many stores arenít ordering as many WD books as they used to due to decrease in popularity of the book. I didnít mind what happened in issue 191 and 192. Thatís part of storytelling, but issue 193 should have announced in advance to prepare comic book stores and for them to increase orders in time. Kirkman just did a big fuck you to all of them
I thought I read that shops can reorder as many as they want with free returns. Seems rather generous of Kirkman.
Trevor is offline  
Old 07-03-19, 11:46 AM
  #238  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,174
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

My LCS had 2 on the shelf. They said TWD used to be a huge seller for them, but has died off this year, so they cut way back on orders. They said tons of people have called about the issue tho.
stingermck is offline  
Old 07-03-19, 12:30 PM
  #239  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,008
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I thought I read that shops can reorder as many as they want with free returns. Seems rather generous of Kirkman.
When they make comics returnable, it means that LCS can return them after 2-3 months for a credit in their account. Still, most LCSs have to pay for them upon receipt, and since no one knew about this being the final issue, most stores continued buying TWD as they usually did, with a little bump on orders because of what happened on issue 191 and 192. The LCS in my town sold out before the store opened. They had ordered 35. Being a former store owner, I would have been extremely pissed about this. TWD finale is an event book, something that people will flock to LCS to buy. What Kirkman did, in the slow months of summer for many stores, is completely selfish.
Red Hood is online now  
Old 07-03-19, 01:02 PM
  #240  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Flo Rida
Posts: 7,014
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

I went to one shop first and they were charging $10 an issue, which is such bullshit.

I went to another local shop I frequent and was able to get a copy for the $3.99 price tag.
Quack is offline  
Old 07-03-19, 01:37 PM
  #241  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 34,493
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
When they make comics returnable, it means that LCS can return them after 2-3 months for a credit in their account. Still, most LCSs have to pay for them upon receipt, and since no one knew about this being the final issue, most stores continued buying TWD as they usually did, with a little bump on orders because of what happened on issue 191 and 192. The LCS in my town sold out before the store opened. They had ordered 35. Being a former store owner, I would have been extremely pissed about this. TWD finale is an event book, something that people will flock to LCS to buy. What Kirkman did, in the slow months of summer for many stores, is completely selfish.
Itís completely selfish from your point of view, or comic shops, but that model is dying. Let it die. Itís his book, he can do what he wants.
Trevor is offline  
Old 07-03-19, 02:05 PM
  #242  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,008
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
I went to one shop first and they were charging $10 an issue, which is such bullshit.

I went to another local shop I frequent and was able to get a copy for the $3.99 price tag.
I heard about some LCS pulling the bullshit of charging over cover price on release day. Fuck them. They are part of the problem with the industry.

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Itís completely selfish from your point of view, or comic shops, but that model is dying. Let it die. Itís his book, he can do what he wants.
If the LCS model dies, the industry dies. Most people haven't converted to the digital format to make it sustainable by itself for the industry. In addition, people have become less trusting of the digital-only format as there's value and user control in the hard copy. Just last week, Microsoft shut down their digital bookstore and in the process, told everyone that had purchase a book from them that they wold be getting refunds as those books wouldn't be accessible after the shutdown.

And yes, is his book but the industry made him a multi-millionaire. He's been long enough to understand the importance in sales of his book. He may not care because what difference several thousands of dollars makes for him, but for the LCS industry, which is 99% mom and pop shops, this finale could mean keeping the doors open for one more year, month, week, etc. And I don't agree with everything in the current Diamond only-LCS model, but is the only one that keeps a line of people with jobs, from store clerks, to editors, to writers to artists to storytellers. People have been saying forever that the LCS model is dying. Well, it's had its ups and downs, but it still alive 45 years later.
Red Hood is online now  
Old 07-03-19, 03:52 PM
  #243  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,367
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Earlier this year I finally got caught up through TPB 30, so I just bought 31 plus all the remaining singles, most of which were in comixology’s Skybound sale. I didn’t want to wait and possibly get spoiled just to save a few bucks.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 07-03-19, 06:15 PM
  #244  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,923
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

This is the downside of the solicitation model. Anything that might be a surprise is ruined just because you know there is going to be a surprise.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 07-03-19 at 06:47 PM.
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 07-04-19, 06:21 AM
  #245  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 16,440
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If you don't follow the comics, you'll need a bit of context...

Spoiler:

Eugene, using a ham radio, locates another community. They travel to find this community, and discover it's called 'The Commonwealth' and is home to some fifty thousand people. Life is generally pretty good there, they have a large security force and a lot of amenities like sports and cafes. The Commonwealth is run by a woman named Pamela Milton; it is set up so that the people who were in charge in the world before (the 1%, as it were) are now the ones running the Commonwealth while everyone else sort of slaves for them. Milton has an asshole son named Sebastian, who is a spoiled, entitled prick. Anyway, when Rick and his crew arrive, it sort of sparks a rebellion by the working class egged on by Dwight and another former Saviour. Rick is able to put out the fire, but the future of Pamela Milton's reign is uncertain.

At the end of issue #191, Sebastian Milton sneaks into Rick's hotel room and shoots him with a silenced gun.

In the beginning of issue #192, we see Sebastian shoot Rick several more times and finish him off. Carl goes into the room to wake up his father, and discovers Rick's reanimated corpse shambling around the room, and he immediately puts his father down.

Issue #193, the final issue, opens some fifteen or twenty years later. Carl is married to Sophia and they have a daughter named Andrea and live on a farm. A walker comes shambling into Carl's yard, and Carl puts it down. Later, the sheriff shows up at Carl's house and tells him that the walker was owned by Hershel Greene (Glen and Maggie's son), and that Carl is being charged with destroying private property. Hershel owns a sort of sideshow attraction that puts walkers on display, since by this time, they have become rare and almost extinct.

Carl goes to court, and President Maggie Greene makes a surprise appearance and orders the judge to make Carl recapture another walker for Hershel to replace the one he killed. Carl is pissed off, and off-camera, kills the rest of Hershel's walkers. He is then re-arrested, and taken to Judge Hawthorne at the Commonwealth, who turns out to be Michonne. She unilaterally rules in Carl's favor and makes it illegal to own walkers. Carl goes back home, and the final scene is Carl telling the story of Rick to his daughter. The End.

Along the way, we learn that Negan is still alive and living in a house outside of the Safe Zone when Carl goes to drop off supplies, but he isn't home or won't answer the door and we don't see him. President Maggie's kind of a bitch, and her son is spoiled douchebag.. Jesus and Aaron are still together. Lydia is still around, and Carl spends a night on the road with her, refuses her advances and doesn't cheat on Sophia with her. Michonne has a granddaughter. Eugene, who might be sick and dying (or maybe not), has built a railroad connecting the East and West coasts. Princess and Mercer still seem to be together. Laura (former Saviour) is bitter toward Rick and Carl. Sebastian Milton is still in prison for murdering Rick, and being visited by his now wheelchair bound mother.
Thanks for taking the time to write all that. I'm not that deep into the comics (I read a couple of the compendiums, but gave up after that), but that conclusion sounds pretty lame/unfulfilling to me. Some of it sounds downright silly.
Shannon Nutt is offline  
Old 07-04-19, 06:32 AM
  #246  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 574
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write all that. I'm not that deep into the comics (I read a couple of the compendiums, but gave up after that), but that conclusion sounds pretty lame/unfulfilling to me. Some of it sounds downright silly.
Comes off like something out of left field. I really don't know why Kirkman couldn't pad the book for seven more issues.
ddrknghtrtns is offline  
Old 07-04-19, 03:34 PM
  #247  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,923
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

He mentions that in the essay at the back. The biggest seller for TWD was the 48-issue compendiums. He wanted the book to be available in four of those. If he extended it to reach 200 it would have essentially meant four compendiums and a TPB.

I'm not sure why it couldn't have been a 54 issue compendium. Probably something to do with print signatures.
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 07-04-19, 06:00 PM
  #248  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,730
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

People are wondering what's going to carry Image now that TWD is over and Saga is on hiatus.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 07-04-19, 07:01 PM
  #249  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,923
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

I’d imagine the trades will be pretty evergreen for Image. That should help.
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 07-04-19, 07:59 PM
  #250  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Red Hood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,008
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
People are wondering what's going to carry Image now that TWD is over and Saga is on hiatus.
I was wondering that too. Sex Criminals is also on hiatus as well as Southern Bastards. Thief of Thieves, which had a great start to its run, also had it's last issue 2 weeks ago and it was mostly disappointing. Image is going to debut a new book by Charles Soule and Scott Snyder at SDCC, but no one knows if that is going to fill the void.
Red Hood is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.