Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (and other zombie discussion)

The library DOES have the hardcovers. So I'm guessing that's a better way to go?
Old 11-11-16, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
The library DOES have the hardcovers. So I'm guessing that's a better way to go?
For me it was. If your library has both, why not go there and try both. Find a chair and try reading a compendium and a hardcover. I find the hardcovers much easier to read without a table (due to the hardcover) and much more manageable (due to the decreased weight).
Old 11-29-16, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

So my boss told me that he read the volumes first and then the compendiums and that he noticed things missing and double-checked his issues/books and that the compendium skips pages. And I did find them unwieldy. So volumes are definitely the way to go.

Comixology Unlimited has some and my local library has some, both e-issues, but I found it hard to read and cumbersome to zoom in and out on a pc. Then today I got an email about some new stuff added to Hoopla digital (offered through the library) and checked it out again and it's grown extensively. 13 movies I want to watch, books I want to read, 1-9 seasons of Dark Shadows, etc. But also volumes 1-26 of TWD. AND it zooms in to a specific panel and right arrow/left mouse button on right part of the page gets you to the next panel and so on. Great way to read it. All for free of course.
Old 11-30-16, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I hadn't heard of things missing between the individual volumes and issues versus the compendium. That's interesting if true.
Old 11-30-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Ditto on not hearing about stuff missing from some of the collected books. I wonder what was missing? Do the compendiums have the extra stuff that the hardcovers have? What I beleive is cover art, as well as some extra type stuff.

The one thing that I sort of wish they had included in the hardcovers was the cover art in the correct spot in the book. Just as a signpost to know where in the run you are as you read through. The hardcovers do include pages every so often that have something of a title, which I assume corresponds to the trade paperbacks.
Old 06-03-19, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Just saw the spoiler for issue #192 coming out this week and is HUGE. Don't read if you don't want to get truly spoiled.

Spoiler:

Rick Grimes got shot at the end of issue #191 by Sebastian and it seems Sebastian kills him completely on issue #192. This is all based from the page that got leaked online after some retailers got the merchandise for this week
Old 07-01-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

...and an even bigger spoiler for #193, the issue coming out this week:

Spoiler:
It's over. #193 is going to be the final issue, even though #194 and #195 have been solicited.

Old 07-01-19, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

That really sucks for comic book shops.
Old 07-01-19, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
That really sucks for comic book shops.
Yes it does. Very selfish of Robert Kirkman to do it like this. Many stores aren’t ordering as many WD books as they used to due to decrease in popularity of the book. I didn’t mind what happened in issue 191 and 192. That’s part of storytelling, but issue 193 should have announced in advance to prepare comic book stores and for them to increase orders in time. Kirkman just did a big fuck you to all of them
Old 07-03-19, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Can someone spoil the ending here (if you get the comic)? Interested to hear how it ends, but not interested enough to go buy an issue.
Old 07-03-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Can someone spoil the ending here (if you get the comic)? Interested to hear how it ends, but not interested enough to go buy an issue.
If you don't follow the comics, you'll need a bit of context...

Spoiler:

Eugene, using a ham radio, locates another community. They travel to find this community, and discover it's called 'The Commonwealth' and is home to some fifty thousand people. Life is generally pretty good there, they have a large security force and a lot of amenities like sports and cafes. The Commonwealth is run by a woman named Pamela Milton; it is set up so that the people who were in charge in the world before (the 1%, as it were) are now the ones running the Commonwealth while everyone else sort of slaves for them. Milton has an asshole son named Sebastian, who is a spoiled, entitled prick. Anyway, when Rick and his crew arrive, it sort of sparks a rebellion by the working class egged on by Dwight and another former Saviour. Rick is able to put out the fire, but the future of Pamela Milton's reign is uncertain.

At the end of issue #191, Sebastian Milton sneaks into Rick's hotel room and shoots him with a silenced gun.

In the beginning of issue #192, we see Sebastian shoot Rick several more times and finish him off. Carl goes into the room to wake up his father, and discovers Rick's reanimated corpse shambling around the room, and he immediately puts his father down.

Issue #193, the final issue, opens some fifteen or twenty years later. Carl is married to Sophia and they have a daughter named Andrea and live on a farm. A walker comes shambling into Carl's yard, and Carl puts it down. Later, the sheriff shows up at Carl's house and tells him that the walker was owned by Hershel Greene (Glen and Maggie's son), and that Carl is being charged with destroying private property. Hershel owns a sort of sideshow attraction that puts walkers on display, since by this time, they have become rare and almost extinct.

Carl goes to court, and President Maggie Greene makes a surprise appearance and orders the judge to make Carl recapture another walker for Hershel to replace the one he killed. Carl is pissed off, and off-camera, kills the rest of Hershel's walkers. He is then re-arrested, and taken to Judge Hawthorne at the Commonwealth, who turns out to be Michonne. She unilaterally rules in Carl's favor and makes it illegal to own walkers. Carl goes back home, and the final scene is Carl telling the story of Rick to his daughter. The End.

Along the way, we learn that Negan is still alive and living in a house outside of the Safe Zone when Carl goes to drop off supplies, but he isn't home or won't answer the door and we don't see him. President Maggie's kind of a bitch, and her son is spoiled douchebag.. Jesus and Aaron are still together. Lydia is still around, and Carl spends a night on the road with her, refuses her advances and doesn't cheat on Sophia with her. Michonne has a granddaughter. Eugene, who might be sick and dying (or maybe not), has built a railroad connecting the East and West coasts. Princess and Mercer still seem to be together. Laura (former Saviour) is bitter toward Rick and Carl. Sebastian Milton is still in prison for murdering Rick, and being visited by his now wheelchair bound mother.

Not quite sure how I feel about it.

The ending was of the regular storyine in #192 was really abrupt, and it feels like he probably could have gotten another 50 or so issues out of it.

#193 was sort of bittersweet. It's both hopeful and cynical. They're trying to make a better world, but there's still corruption and people are starting to forget how bad things got. Sort of a same as it ever was... same as it ever was... same as it ever was... kind of thing, I suppose.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 07-03-19 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-03-19, 11:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood

Yes it does. Very selfish of Robert Kirkman to do it like this. Many stores aren’t ordering as many WD books as they used to due to decrease in popularity of the book. I didn’t mind what happened in issue 191 and 192. That’s part of storytelling, but issue 193 should have announced in advance to prepare comic book stores and for them to increase orders in time. Kirkman just did a big fuck you to all of them
I thought I read that shops can reorder as many as they want with free returns. Seems rather generous of Kirkman.
Old 07-03-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

My LCS had 2 on the shelf. They said TWD used to be a huge seller for them, but has died off this year, so they cut way back on orders. They said tons of people have called about the issue tho.
Old 07-03-19, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trevor
I thought I read that shops can reorder as many as they want with free returns. Seems rather generous of Kirkman.
When they make comics returnable, it means that LCS can return them after 2-3 months for a credit in their account. Still, most LCSs have to pay for them upon receipt, and since no one knew about this being the final issue, most stores continued buying TWD as they usually did, with a little bump on orders because of what happened on issue 191 and 192. The LCS in my town sold out before the store opened. They had ordered 35. Being a former store owner, I would have been extremely pissed about this. TWD finale is an event book, something that people will flock to LCS to buy. What Kirkman did, in the slow months of summer for many stores, is completely selfish.
Old 07-03-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I went to one shop first and they were charging $10 an issue, which is such bullshit.

I went to another local shop I frequent and was able to get a copy for the $3.99 price tag.
Old 07-03-19, 01:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
When they make comics returnable, it means that LCS can return them after 2-3 months for a credit in their account. Still, most LCSs have to pay for them upon receipt, and since no one knew about this being the final issue, most stores continued buying TWD as they usually did, with a little bump on orders because of what happened on issue 191 and 192. The LCS in my town sold out before the store opened. They had ordered 35. Being a former store owner, I would have been extremely pissed about this. TWD finale is an event book, something that people will flock to LCS to buy. What Kirkman did, in the slow months of summer for many stores, is completely selfish.
It’s completely selfish from your point of view, or comic shops, but that model is dying. Let it die. It’s his book, he can do what he wants.
Old 07-03-19, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quack
I went to one shop first and they were charging $10 an issue, which is such bullshit.

I went to another local shop I frequent and was able to get a copy for the $3.99 price tag.
I heard about some LCS pulling the bullshit of charging over cover price on release day. Fuck them. They are part of the problem with the industry.

Originally Posted by Trevor
It’s completely selfish from your point of view, or comic shops, but that model is dying. Let it die. It’s his book, he can do what he wants.
If the LCS model dies, the industry dies. Most people haven't converted to the digital format to make it sustainable by itself for the industry. In addition, people have become less trusting of the digital-only format as there's value and user control in the hard copy. Just last week, Microsoft shut down their digital bookstore and in the process, told everyone that had purchase a book from them that they wold be getting refunds as those books wouldn't be accessible after the shutdown.

And yes, is his book but the industry made him a multi-millionaire. He's been long enough to understand the importance in sales of his book. He may not care because what difference several thousands of dollars makes for him, but for the LCS industry, which is 99% mom and pop shops, this finale could mean keeping the doors open for one more year, month, week, etc. And I don't agree with everything in the current Diamond only-LCS model, but is the only one that keeps a line of people with jobs, from store clerks, to editors, to writers to artists to storytellers. People have been saying forever that the LCS model is dying. Well, it's had its ups and downs, but it still alive 45 years later.
Old 07-03-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,019 Likes on 842 Posts

Earlier this year I finally got caught up through TPB 30, so I just bought 31 plus all the remaining singles, most of which were in comixology’s Skybound sale. I didn’t want to wait and possibly get spoiled just to save a few bucks.
Old 07-03-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

This is the downside of the solicitation model. Anything that might be a surprise is ruined just because you know there is going to be a surprise.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 07-03-19 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-04-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If you don't follow the comics, you'll need a bit of context...

Spoiler:

Eugene, using a ham radio, locates another community. They travel to find this community, and discover it's called 'The Commonwealth' and is home to some fifty thousand people. Life is generally pretty good there, they have a large security force and a lot of amenities like sports and cafes. The Commonwealth is run by a woman named Pamela Milton; it is set up so that the people who were in charge in the world before (the 1%, as it were) are now the ones running the Commonwealth while everyone else sort of slaves for them. Milton has an asshole son named Sebastian, who is a spoiled, entitled prick. Anyway, when Rick and his crew arrive, it sort of sparks a rebellion by the working class egged on by Dwight and another former Saviour. Rick is able to put out the fire, but the future of Pamela Milton's reign is uncertain.

At the end of issue #191, Sebastian Milton sneaks into Rick's hotel room and shoots him with a silenced gun.

In the beginning of issue #192, we see Sebastian shoot Rick several more times and finish him off. Carl goes into the room to wake up his father, and discovers Rick's reanimated corpse shambling around the room, and he immediately puts his father down.

Issue #193, the final issue, opens some fifteen or twenty years later. Carl is married to Sophia and they have a daughter named Andrea and live on a farm. A walker comes shambling into Carl's yard, and Carl puts it down. Later, the sheriff shows up at Carl's house and tells him that the walker was owned by Hershel Greene (Glen and Maggie's son), and that Carl is being charged with destroying private property. Hershel owns a sort of sideshow attraction that puts walkers on display, since by this time, they have become rare and almost extinct.

Carl goes to court, and President Maggie Greene makes a surprise appearance and orders the judge to make Carl recapture another walker for Hershel to replace the one he killed. Carl is pissed off, and off-camera, kills the rest of Hershel's walkers. He is then re-arrested, and taken to Judge Hawthorne at the Commonwealth, who turns out to be Michonne. She unilaterally rules in Carl's favor and makes it illegal to own walkers. Carl goes back home, and the final scene is Carl telling the story of Rick to his daughter. The End.

Along the way, we learn that Negan is still alive and living in a house outside of the Safe Zone when Carl goes to drop off supplies, but he isn't home or won't answer the door and we don't see him. President Maggie's kind of a bitch, and her son is spoiled douchebag.. Jesus and Aaron are still together. Lydia is still around, and Carl spends a night on the road with her, refuses her advances and doesn't cheat on Sophia with her. Michonne has a granddaughter. Eugene, who might be sick and dying (or maybe not), has built a railroad connecting the East and West coasts. Princess and Mercer still seem to be together. Laura (former Saviour) is bitter toward Rick and Carl. Sebastian Milton is still in prison for murdering Rick, and being visited by his now wheelchair bound mother.
Thanks for taking the time to write all that. I'm not that deep into the comics (I read a couple of the compendiums, but gave up after that), but that conclusion sounds pretty lame/unfulfilling to me. Some of it sounds downright silly.
Old 07-04-19, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Thanks for taking the time to write all that. I'm not that deep into the comics (I read a couple of the compendiums, but gave up after that), but that conclusion sounds pretty lame/unfulfilling to me. Some of it sounds downright silly.
Comes off like something out of left field. I really don't know why Kirkman couldn't pad the book for seven more issues.
Old 07-04-19, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He mentions that in the essay at the back. The biggest seller for TWD was the 48-issue compendiums. He wanted the book to be available in four of those. If he extended it to reach 200 it would have essentially meant four compendiums and a TPB.

I'm not sure why it couldn't have been a 54 issue compendium. Probably something to do with print signatures.
Old 07-04-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

People are wondering what's going to carry Image now that TWD is over and Saga is on hiatus.
Old 07-04-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’d imagine the trades will be pretty evergreen for Image. That should help.
Old 07-04-19, 07:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
People are wondering what's going to carry Image now that TWD is over and Saga is on hiatus.
I was wondering that too. Sex Criminals is also on hiatus as well as Southern Bastards. Thief of Thieves, which had a great start to its run, also had it's last issue 2 weeks ago and it was mostly disappointing. Image is going to debut a new book by Charles Soule and Scott Snyder at SDCC, but no one knows if that is going to fill the void.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.