Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

May comic book thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really enjoyed Checkmate. I'm a big fan of Rucka's Queen & Country, and this seems to be Q&C in the DC Universe. Speaking of Rucka, his Supergirl #6 marked the first time I have ever come close to liking the new Supergirl. Too bad he's not going forward with his run on this title because I've never been tremendously impressed with Joe Kelly.
Old 05-09-06, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
Did they? It should be something like that for the "big guns" every year.
The problem being that people who didn't get the Invincible FCBD issue now don't know what happened within its bounds. I just started reading that title this year, picked up the first HC trade and two PB ones, and some back issues, but don't know what happened in the FCBD issue. Which is unfortunate. Because I'm an anal-retentive completist.
Old 05-09-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JustinCleveland
The problem being that people who didn't get the Invincible FCBD issue now don't know what happened within its bounds. I just started reading that title this year, picked up the first HC trade and two PB ones, and some back issues, but don't know what happened in the FCBD issue. Which is unfortunate. Because I'm an anal-retentive completist.
I'm almost sure it was reprinted in the Invincible Books (in two parts, I think) and that it will be in the 2nd HC Collection. And its part of the 4th TPB.

The title is actually:

IMAGE COMICS SUMMER SPECIAL FCBD # 1

and the Invincible story is just part of what it contains.
Old 05-10-06, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I finally read IC 7 and now I'm more confused than ever.
Old 05-10-06, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I finally read IC 7 and now I'm more confused than ever.
What's to be confused about? Only 60,000 things happened in that issue!

The one thing that really confused me in that issue was the explanation for Superman losing his powers. I guess we were to suppose that
Spoiler:
he and Kal-L slamming Superboy Prime though a red sun and a Kryptonite planet
resulted in his loss of powers, but it was never really explained in IC #7 very well.

I still think it's interesting that other than Superboy Prime, all of the characters leftover from the original Crisis are now
Spoiler:
dead or imprisoned

Wikipedia's Infinite Crisis offers a decent synopsis. I'm beginning to think that the whole "One Year Later" idea would have worked better if they had started in May. Then you could have both the "One Year Later" jump starting at the same time as "52".

Last edited by DGibFen; 05-10-06 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-10-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know what I don't understand about the whole IC #7? Why is the next year a year without Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman? I mean, they didn't die. They didn't get some crazy lazer beam to the chest. So what's the deal?
Old 05-10-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps the first person to run out and read 52 #1 will be able to provide some insight?
Old 05-10-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did anyone take advantage of DC Comics subscription for 52? I think it was only a 20 dollar savings for the entire run.
Old 05-10-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Perhaps the first person to run out and read 52 #1 will be able to provide some insight?
I got the impression I should've known the answer at the end of IC7. I read it and had to re-read some, but still didn't figure it out. I'll have to wait on 52...I'm on monthly shipping still.
Old 05-10-06, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still waiting on IC#7, so I don't even have any idea what you're talking about.
Old 05-10-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
I got the impression I should've known the answer at the end of IC7. I read it and had to re-read some, but still didn't figure it out. I'll have to wait on 52...I'm on monthly shipping still.
Well, I will be picking up the first issue of 52 today even though I have it coming on my monthly shipment. I just have to get used to the whole idea . Not a big deal because I have $20.00 in credit at midtown comics and never go there, so its not coming out of my pocket twice.
Old 05-10-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
The new creative team isn't doing anything for me either. But, the final issue was in listed in the current Previews. I hope when it relaunches, it returns to it's roots.

It's gonna relauch soon as Justice Society of America with Johns back at the helm.
Old 05-10-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished 52 #1, and it doesn't really answer many questions. It does establish a few deaths from IC, and shows that the Earth was ravaged quite a bit from all the battles, but it mostly serves to showcase the six main figures of the series (
Spoiler:
Renee Montoya, Booster Gold, The Question, Elongated Man, Black Adam and Steel.
) I assume the next few issues will better in answering questions.

Last edited by DGibFen; 05-10-06 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DGibFen
I just finished 24 #1,
Does Jack Bauer know about this?
Old 05-10-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does Jack Bauer know about this?
D'oh! I fixed it. Boy is my face red.
Old 05-10-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by DGibFen
What's to be confused about? Only 60,000 things happened in that issue!

The one thing that really confused me in that issue was the explanation for Superman losing his powers. I guess we were to suppose that
Spoiler:
he and Kal-L slamming Superboy Prime though a red sun and a Kryptonite planet
resulted in his loss of powers, but it was never really explained in IC #7 very well.
Yeah I guess so.
Spoiler:
taking him the red sun was a brilliant idea and I was glad to see that stupid armor come off

I still think it's interesting that other than Superboy Prime, all of the characters leftover from the original Crisis are now
Spoiler:
dead or imprisoned
Spoiler:
and dammit, why didn't he die? I hated seeing that last panel because I got this sinking feeling we'll be seeing that fucker again.
Old 05-10-06, 03:01 PM

Aint It Cool News ripped IC #7 to shreds today as well as pretty much the whole series. I don't know know what my point is . . . I enjoyed it. It is what it is. It's certainly not high art. I don't know what people expect from comics.

Would I have gotten more enjoyment if it was longer and certain things explained better? YES.

Would I have gotten more enjoyment if Jimenez had more lead time to draw it? Doubtful. That never drew me out of the tale.

Did I enjoy what we got? Hell yes.

Last edited by MBoyd; 05-10-06 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To me, IC just felt woefully underwritten, and I just didn't get the same kind of rush when I read COIE. Is the comparison unfair, perhaps, but I was hoping it would approach it in storytelling quality, but it did not for me.
Old 05-10-06, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
Aint It Cool News ripped IC #7 to shreds today as well as pretty much the whole series. I don't know know what my point it . . . .
I think the point is that alot of comic fans see reading comics as a burden rather than a pleasure...I dont understand such harsh criticism of so many books all the time. I would rather spend my time talking about those that I like and not worry about the ones I dont.
Old 05-10-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Aint It Cool News ripped IC #7 to shreds today as well as pretty much the whole series
DC's check to Harry must have bounced.
Old 05-10-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
You know what I don't understand about the whole IC #7? Why is the next year a year without Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman? I mean, they didn't die. They didn't get some crazy lazer beam to the chest. So what's the deal?
Superman
Spoiler:
The combination of flying into a red sun, expending so much energy to take down Superboy and being exposed to Kryptonite (any of which on their own can ruin his day) drained his powers. As established in the Death of Superman storyline, his body is a battery that stores energy... and like the battle with Doomsday, this drained him completely.

It's being suggested that his powers were gone for an entire year partly because of a mental block on his part (a theory lifted from the movie Spider-Man 2, where Peter was having trouble with his powers).

Batman
Spoiler:
Apparently the rumors were true, and DC is using this event to soften a lot of their darker characters, primarily Batman. Bruce is retracing the steps he took to become Batman, but this time he's bringing Robin & Nightwing with him. He now seems to see them as his children rather than pawns in his war, which was his attitude for the last 10 or so years.

Wonder Woman
No clue. I guess we'll get more info in future issues of 52, or in the new Wonder Woman series that's supposed to start next month (I think).
Old 05-10-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MovieExchance, thanks for the feedback. I like both of your theories.
Old 05-10-06, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i just read the AICN stuff and while it may have been a bit harsh, i did agree with a couple of points. now admittedly i haven't yet read IC #7 but i agree that the artwork and the length of the series have both suffered. for me at least, it is very distracting to see the artwork change every few pages. and the entire series has felt like it needed to be longer. 7 issues seems a bit short to have such a "universe shattering" series like DC seems to have wanted.
Old 05-10-06, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Not really trying to be lazy, but got a link?
Old 05-11-06, 07:52 AM

For the lazy

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23284

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.