Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

May comic book thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Hey,wait a minute. Perhaps I missed one of the many crossover/story arcs/ IC related books , and to be honest I know I've heard it in passing but maybe it didn't register in my head...

How/why did Alan Scott(JSA "Green Lantern") become one of the Kings in Checkmate??!?!?! What gives?
Old 05-24-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I missed that too. Maybe it's one of those "you'll find out the details in 52" deals?
Old 05-24-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Chew
I think I missed that too. Maybe it's one of those "you'll find out the details in 52" deals?

Yeah maybe you're right. It seems out of place but I guess there will be a good reason. Mr. Terrific is next in "charge" under Scott.
Old 05-24-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leafed through Fantastic Four: A Death in the Family. If you have any respect for yourself, don't buy it. What a piece of junk.

The stories in this week's Civil War crossovers (Wolverine and She-Hulk) were good, but both books are in dire need of better artists.

Sensational Spider-Man continues to underwhelm, and will probably be next on my list of books to drop.

New Avengers - Meh. Nothing great or bad about it, it was just there.

I still have to read Batman, Blue Beetle and 52. I purposefully saved those titles for last, as they're the ones I've looked forward to the most out of this week's batch.
Old 05-24-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Leafed through Fantastic Four: A Death in the Family. If you have any respect for yourself, don't buy it. What a piece of junk.
Who died?
I'm going out in a few minutes to do my comic purchases for the past two weeks.
Old 05-24-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think the Superman comics are poorly paced - rather it's the bi-weekly format. I was rereading the arc from the beginning and it's excellently paced. I think having the whole "no powers" thing or him having different/new powers would get really old fast. Plus, there's already going to be a year of Superman with no powers in 52 and flashback stories in upcoming arcs. Really though, it's a way for them to tap into new readers with a more simplified Superman story.
Old 05-24-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
So in a couple of months, will the Superman books be entirely separate again? I'm interested in picking up Buseik and Pacheco's run, but not if it crosses over with the other books often.
Old 05-24-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Superboy
I don't think the Superman comics are poorly paced - rather it's the bi-weekly format. I was rereading the arc from the beginning and it's excellently paced. I think having the whole "no powers" thing or him having different/new powers would get really old fast. Plus, there's already going to be a year of Superman with no powers in 52 and flashback stories in upcoming arcs. Really though, it's a way for them to tap into new readers with a more simplified Superman story.
I agree, as I just re-read the arc as well, and it does come together a bit better...Of course I havent read the most recent Superman book, so.
Old 05-24-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by exharrison
Who died?
I'm going out in a few minutes to do my comic purchases for the past two weeks.
Spoiler:
Invisible Woman is dead on the first page of the story, the rest of the book is the events leading up to her death, except that Johnny traveled back in time to block the shot that killed her.
Old 05-24-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Catwoman was quite good this month. We got Selina
Spoiler:
trying to wear the old outfit again... and it didn't quite fit.
This series is still excellent in making her character
Spoiler:
realistic-looking after her pregnancy.

52: Did Infinite Crisis give Power Girl some new boob powers? There are some interesting angles involving her, uh, ample talents. At least we had some resolution from an event at the end of IC #7. I'm still wondering where they are going with the Black Adam storyline.

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Agreed. Felt like a certain episode of Smallville this season.

Last edited by DGibFen; 05-24-06 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-25-06, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm loving the black adam story arc in 52. I'm also loving blue beetle. I'm also picking Green Lantern as the pick of the week as the best comic.

A lot of folks really shitted on the whole thing that Johns did with rebirth in making Hal pretty much come back with no backlash of what he did and here it pays off huge as to how he's not getting away with the whole massacare so easy. Brilliant use of the characters. Simply awsome reveal.
Old 05-25-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^I figured A Death in the Family would be something like that.

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I'm loving the black adam story arc in 52. I'm also loving blue beetle. I'm also picking Green Lantern as the pick of the week as the best comic
I picked up Green Lantern on a whim considering I was never a huge fan of Jordan and was very pleased. Also, does anyone else think that Gardner has gotten a lot bigger since he was last a GL? It seems like it was size he gained when he was Warrior, but it just looks odd with his GL costume and thinking back to when he used to be a GL.
As far as 52 goes, I'm still on the fence about it. And Blue Beetle #2 really pulled me into the story. I was hoping #3 would give me an out, but after reading it last night, it only made me want the next issue more.
Old 05-27-06, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have had to cut way back on all my monthly titles, so now I'm down to maybe 2 or 3 titles a week.

Just picked up 52 Week 3 and so far I am loving the series. I'm firmly in the camp that loved Infinite Crisis, and I'm excited to see what DC has in store for characters like Renee Montoya, the Question, and most especially, Black Adam.

I also picked up Squadrom Supreme #3 and was sorely let down again. This series started so promising a couple years ago when it was Supreme Power, then it started to hit delay after delay until I couldn't even remember what happened the previous issue. That was the case this week, and I think I'm going to drop the title altogether.

I like what Marvel was doing with the characters a couple years ago, but at this point I don't want to read a JLA knockoff(and it IS a JLA knockoff). Instead I'd rather read the new JLA series that starts next month with Brad Meltzer at the helm, which looks intriguiging, especially with Ed Benes doing the artwork.
Old 05-27-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PalmerJoss
Just picked up 52 Week 3 and so far I am loving the series. I'm firmly in the camp that loved Infinite Crisis, and I'm excited to see what DC has in store for characters like Renee Montoya, the Question, and most especially, Black Adam.

I agree. When I came back to comics, thanks to Identity Crisis and the impending doom of the Infinite Crisis , one of the books I decided to start with and stay with on a monthly basis was JSA. When I collected the Trades to catch up on the series Black Adam quickly became one of my favorite "Heroes". Although flawed and sometimes an arrogant prick, I like his sense of "justice" and the way he protects his Homeland and people. He doesn't give a damn who you are. Hero or villian, if you fuck with his nation or his people he's gonna kick your ass or even kill you.

The Question has always been cool to me so it's great to see him in the spotlight. I don't know much about Montoya other than she's a Lesbo Lush who's partner got killed, but apparently there's some potential in her that The Question and DC writers see. I'm looking forward to what that "special thing" will be. (did I read somewhere she might be a new Batgirl?)

Plus, you get cool images of her in bed with skanks after a night of partying and Muffdiving....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-27-06 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-27-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jack - I too love the current GL series. The splash page at the end was great too - the whole issue was Hal's past coming back to haunt him. I just hope the upcoming GL Corps series has character interaction that is just as good.
Old 05-27-06, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I don't know much about Montoya other than she's a Lesbo Lush who's partner got killed, but apparently there's some potential in her that The Question and DC writers see.
You should pick up some of the Gotham Central TPBs.

I'm still loving Squadron Supreme. I thought the solo spin-off titles (Dr. Spectrum, Nighthawk, Hyperion) were pretty weak, but I think they're back on form with the new series. Also, #3 wasn't *that* late. #2 shipped on 4/19--just over a month ago.

Dead Girl #5 was pretty awesome--this may have been my favorite miniseries of the year so far. I hope Milligan & Allred do another one.
Old 05-27-06, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I agree. When I came back to comics, thanks to Identity Crisis and the impending doom of the Infinite Crisis , one of the books I decided to start with and stay with on a monthly basis was JSA. When I collected the Trades to catch up on the series Black Adam quickly became one of my favorite "Heroes". Although flawed and sometimes an arrogant prick, I like his sense of "justice" and the way he protects his Homeland and people. He doesn't give a damn who you are. Hero or villian, if you fuck with his nation or his people he's gonna kick your ass or even kill you.
When I started doing trades after years of just going to a comic convention once a year, JSA is the first one I picked up. Fair Play, and it sucked me right back in.
Old 05-29-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone else notice that Paul Dini is going to write for Detective Comics starting in #821?? Between him and Grant Morrison writing for Batman at the same time, I'm a very happy fan.
Old 05-29-06, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm very much looking forward to Grant Morrison writing Batman as I usually enjoy his ideas, as outlandish as they sometimes are. Does anyone know when his run on the title starts?
Old 05-30-06, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by areacode212
You should pick up some of the Gotham Central TPBs.
On that note, the third trade skips over three issues.

The second story in that trade are the earliest issues I have. I was hoping this trade would've filled in the gaps. I didn't pay close enough attention to the info to notice.
Old 05-30-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, its officially been 2 months now since I've been to the comic shop to pick up my books. Do you think that's a sign I'm starting to lose interest? I don't even remember what was happening in the few titles I still buy.
Old 05-30-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What titles are on your pull list?

Now in other news, Batwoman - the lipstick lesbian has made Drudge Report.
Old 05-30-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just going through my order history and saw Fell #7 and #8 were canceled from my orders. I'm hoping it's because the title is so far behind and will be resolicited rather than the title being canceled. Anybody know?