Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

May comic book thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DGibFen
I'm beginning to think that Batman is not the father of Selina's baby. BTW, I love how they are drawing her in the Catwoman books. She does look like a woman who has just given birth, in that they draw her with weight gain and a rounder belly.
I agree. I'd take it one step further and continue claiming that Catwoman is the best book in DC's stable. I've loved it since the beginning and it continues to impress.
Old 05-03-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IC #7

Civil War #1

Holy crap! I decided to pick up CW1 and loved it. I was very impressed. So impressed that I'm on board for the mini plus, potentially, a few of the cross-overs.

As for IC, well, I'm left kinda confused. After Infinity Crisis, I thought this would be great. But it turns out to be just a convoluted mess as DC tried to fix their over-expansive Universe. Oh well.
Old 05-03-06, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aw, too bad you didn't enjoy it. I enjoyed them both. Going for a second reading tonight.
Old 05-03-06, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought IC was decent. I shouldn't say it was terrible. It's just...I don't know. I have too many questions left over.
Old 05-03-06, 08:06 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
I agree. I'd take it one step further and continue claiming that Catwoman is the best book in DC's stable. I've loved it since the beginning and it continues to impress.
My 2nd favorite DC title at the moment, but #1 has to go to Birds of Prey for me. Just got done reading a bunch of back issues and I just love the way Simone tells a story.

IC7 and CW both lived up to my expectations.

The line from
Spoiler:
Superman where he said "like h***" gave me chills
Old 05-03-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IC was soild, not as good as 6 imo, but a good wrap...And I have to say, Civil War was pretty damn good. I couldnt wait for the DCBS shipment (im so weak sometimes), but Im glad I pulled the trigger.
Old 05-03-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was really disappointed with IC #7. It wrapped up way too quickly and easily. The final battle in Metropolis was over a little too quickly too.

Civil War was really mediocre. Again, I could go without the political commentary about Bush and Cindy Sheehan.
Old 05-03-06, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Linn1
kinda. This may sway you, the last ish sets up a sequel!! And I'm not kidding.
Heh. You weren't lying.

Spoiler:
I wonder what's the deal with the scene with Joker and Lex? Was that just a one off thing or is that going to spin into something else? I did find the Joker's lack of participation in this event odd even if he isn't a power house baddie like Darkseid or Mongol.

Can someone explain to me The Joker? What I mean is he is seen as one of the biggest threats in the DCU, a top ten bad guy for sure and maybe even top five. But why? He has no powers like Darkseid, no stroke like Lex Luthor, no extensive training like Deathstroke...so why is his threat so great? Isn't he just a psycho? Don't get me wrong I LOVE the Joker and I don't mind him being seen as one of the big boys, but I'm just wondering why he is. The only thing I could think of is that he may have genius level intelligence but just the motives of a psycho and that is what makes him so dangerous, but his secret file makes no mention of it.
Old 05-03-06, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OMG! I just read some stuff about Civil War and it looks like they have killed

Spoiler:
SPEEDBALL

This epic crossover is pushing the limits dammit! THE MARVEL UNIVERSE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!! AAAAAAAIEIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Old 05-03-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Can someone explain to me The Joker? What I mean is he is seen as one of the biggest threats in the DCU, a top ten bad guy for sure and maybe even top five. But why? He has no powers like Darkseid, no stroke like Lex Luthor, no extensive training like Deathstroke...so why is his threat so great? Isn't he just a psycho? Don't get me wrong I LOVE the Joker and I don't mind him being seen as one of the big boys, but I'm just wondering why he is. The only thing I could think of is that he may have genius level intelligence but just the motives of a psycho and that is what makes him so dangerous, but his secret file makes no mention of it.
I think what makes the Joker so dangerous is his complete unpredictability. He's essentially an intellectual equal to Batman (he was a chemical engineer at one point, according to the backstory), but his reasoning for committing crimes are ever-changing. I re-read IC #2, and they did mention that he was left out of a secret society of villians because, to quote, "Joker's too wild." I think he's one of the purest psychological villians in the DC Universe. And, I think he wants a certain measure of respect among his peers, like most people. That makes his
Spoiler:
revenge against Alex Luthor
at the end of IC #7 all the more interesting.

While I'm thinking about it, isn't it interesting that the entire Infinte Crisis series served to remove
Spoiler:
most of the interdimentional characters from Crisis on Infinite Earths

Last edited by DGibFen; 05-03-06 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-03-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jon Snow
My 2nd favorite DC title at the moment, but #1 has to go to Birds of Prey for me. Just got done reading a bunch of back issues and I just love the way Simone tells a story.

IC7 and CW both lived up to my expectations.

The line from
Spoiler:
Superman where he said "like h***" gave me chills
You know what, I always go back and forth between Birds and Catwoman on which is best. I usually just say whichever one I read most recently. Two of the best books on the stands each and every month.

I love the current Catwoman storyline. I wonder whose baby that is. And the "new" Catwoman and her mistakes....lovin' it.
Old 05-03-06, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hate to ask a stupid question, but Bedrock Comcis in Houston is having one of their big sales this weekend. I usually wait to pick up tradepaperbacks at one of these sales. I noticed that Marvel has stopped numbering some of their books, specifically X-Books. Anyone know a place I can find the list of books in some kind of order (with regard to issue numbers maybe)?
Old 05-04-06, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Superboy
I was really disappointed with IC #7. It wrapped up way too quickly and easily. The final battle in Metropolis was over a little too quickly too.

Civil War was really mediocre. Again, I could go without the political commentary about Bush and Cindy Sheehan.
Yeah, i'd have to say the same thing about IC#7. Perhaps they needed to filter it through the Bendisizer® to stretch it longer than 7 issues..

Also, what were those items that washed up on shore? One of the customers at the store pointed out that the staff belonged to an Elseworlds GL shown in the previous issue, but we couldn't figure out what the other thing was. When Alex blasted Nightwing, they sure made it look like he was a goner. Guess his comment about not having enough power made it plausable that he only "stunned" the massive amount of blood out of NW?

I thought Civil War #1 was pretty good. I agree with DGibFen about the surprising "twist". The current ASM CW run made it seem that Iron Man was against registration...now he's for it? Or was I reading them wrong? I also thought it was pretty punkish to involve New Warriors if you're just going to KILL them.
Old 05-04-06, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by DGibFen

I'm beginning to think that Batman is not the father of Selina's baby.

I mentioned this in last month's thread and i was ignored.

Robo, ahead of his time and largely ignored.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-04-06 at 02:39 AM.
Old 05-04-06, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
Indeed, it is a lantern from the elseworlds GL. But what it's doing in the mainstream DCU and how it got there is a mystery...especially since it was a magical fetish used to raise and control the dead. Or it could be something else entirely, and considering it was only one of many throwaway panels in the comic, we'll probably never know

I was a HUGE New Warriors fan and seeing them in their current (read: shitty) incarnation really annoys me. It's one thing to have a parody book like GLA or Formerly Known as the (JLA), but to take characters, that though lighthearted, and totally destroy any real value they had is just bad taste.
Old 05-04-06, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
OMG! I just read some stuff about Civil War and it looks like they have killed

Spoiler:
SPEEDBALL

This epic crossover is pushing the limits dammit! THE MARVEL UNIVERSE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!! AAAAAAAIEIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!

That guy has been the running joke for a friend and I for years when we talk about how crappy some of the Marvel heroes are. We used to have a joke about Dr. Doom being so wussified, as many writers would forget that he's second only to Dr. Strange when it comes to sorcerors in our dimension. We'd say "The Avengers are taking applications for membership. The only requirement is that you find and single-handedly defeat Dr. Doom. So far we have 423 applicants, including all 4 members of Power Pack and Devil Dinosaur & Moon Boy. Sadly, (spoiled character's name) still didn't quallify."

I don't think he's dead, though. Last week's Amazing Spider-Man had Peter watching a news report of the tragedy, and I think they said that the character was the only survivor of the incident, and everything is being blamed on him. I left my books at work, though, so I'll have to check when I get there.
Old 05-04-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

No, he said it wasn't Batman's baby. You said it wasn't Bruce's. Big difference.

Old 05-04-06, 08:32 AM

So I think we need to see what happened with the Flashes and Superboy. Maybe it will be covered in the new Flash series at some point? Bart and Superboy seemed to have some history from those two years or so.

I think all of our levels of enjoyment for IC differ, but I think we all wish it could have been longer. I've read a call on another board for a collection with added pages. Might be too complex of a project, but I'd love to more.
Old 05-04-06, 08:33 AM

I didn't ignore you, Robo! Poor Robo.
Old 05-04-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I havent been reading Catwoman, so where would be a good place to pick it up in the story line? Should I start at the first OYL issue, or go back farther? Like I need another comic to pick-up but Im dropping some titles, and this one has me intrigued.
Old 05-04-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
So I havent been reading Catwoman, so where would be a good place to pick it up in the story line? Should I start at the first OYL issue, or go back farther? Like I need another comic to pick-up but Im dropping some titles, and this one has me intrigued.
I would say 2-3 issues before OYL. There's a revelation by a DC character to Selina, and then in #52 a major event happens (which is recapped in Catwoman #54). Then it jumps to OYL.
Old 05-04-06, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Well, it depends on your level of commitment. I think you'd want to at least go back to issue #50. This is the story leading into OYL (called Backward Masking...it's a great storyline with Zatana). The current story hints at elements in that arc.

However, I'd highly recommend Selina's Big Score (original GN that leads into the series). I'd also think the first few trades of Brubaker's run (1-27) are fantastic reads.
Old 05-04-06, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Oh, I didn't ignore you. The thread had closed by the time I got around to reading the book.
Old 05-04-06, 10:42 AM

I dropped Catwoman near the end of the Brubaker run, but I've been reading the last few issues of the Pfeifer run, and it's pretty good. Not as great as the first year & a half/two years of the Brubaker run, but solid. You can start around issue 49-50 or so...not too far back.

You should definitely pick up the Brubaker issues (up until Gulacy takes over art duties), and the Selina's Big Score GN.

As for the Joker, I think the reason he's so dangerous is basically that writers like to write him that way. I never really saw anything inherent in him that would make him such an uber-threat, but...he just is. I guess we're meant to see him as being a twisted mirror image of Batman, where even though they're polar opposites, they both basically unstoppable if they put their minds to it.
Old 05-04-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Superboy
I was a HUGE New Warriors fan and seeing them in their current (read: shitty) incarnation really annoys me. It's one thing to have a parody book like GLA or Formerly Known as the (JLA), but to take characters, that though lighthearted, and totally destroy any real value they had is just bad taste.
Exactly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.