April comic book thread

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

April comic book thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-06, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll put $20 on the line saying that it's a done deal and all will be on time. I'm excited to see The Question and Booster gold in a big story arc again.
Old 04-10-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,501 Posts
Yeah, with the "one a week" thing being such a big point in the marketing, they better have a huge head start on it to make sure every issue is on time (barring some catastrophe or something). Isn't that why there are numerous creative teams?
Old 04-10-06, 06:59 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just finished New Avengers: Illuminati, Secret Files: Infinite Crisis and Batman Annual 25. It seems like a few people have voiced displeasure with NA and the Bat Annual, but I liked both. The art in NA was lacking, but it kinda worked at the same time because it felt old.

Also started some more OYL books I've never read before.

Green Arrow seemed pretty cool, although I wish I didn't already know who the mayor was (not like it was secret, but it still would've worked more for me).

Hard Times Season Two....I think I might drop this soon. I read Season 1 in TPB form, and I'm just not hooked.

Hawkgirl...of all the new books I've picked up, this will be probably the one that I'll drop first if I drop anything, because I know absolutely nothing about the character so have no ties. However the first issue (that I read) seemed ok, and I'm curious to learn more about Kendra.
Old 04-11-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's a special sub from DC for all issues of 52 for only $100. I might bite but I might want to drop it after a few weeks if the story doesn't pick up. I might even drop ALL my DC titles save for Legion of Super Heroes and the All-Star books.
Old 04-11-06, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You're taking the events of the latest IC book a bit hard, eh?

Dan Dido has stood by the one a week stance and there will be no way they are going to screw it up. With the amount of time they have been putting into planning I have confidence that they wont screw it up.
Old 04-11-06, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not that, I usually don't take comic deaths that hard - they're just annoying, and when the character comes back it's usually done in a really stupid way.

It's just that I feel like most of the books are too focused on OYL and IC but they have no meat to them - there's hardly any story. And the Batman comics read like the regular Batman comics do, with brief mentions of OYL. It's as if nothing happened. Overall, I just most of the writing to be incredibly weak.

I dropped about 90% of my Marvel reading a few years ago and I couldn't be happier. X-men just didn't make any sense anymore, Spider-man was becoming more like Batman, Avengers was just plain boring, overall Marvel books were just weak. The only Marvel book I really love is Young Avengers - probably because it's just like Young Justice.
Old 04-11-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And the Batman comics read like the regular Batman comics do, . . .
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Especially after that 12 issue/14 month City Of Crime.
Old 04-11-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Okay, that was an exception. I just mean that when I read the OYL Batman stories, they read just like a generic Batman title. It's really boring.

City of Crime, on the other hand, was one of those stories that DC apparantly doesn't think anyone cared about enough to really push.
Old 04-11-06, 08:30 PM

I'm a really big fan of Lapham's Stray Bullets, but I thought City of Crime was dull, though it may be one of those stories that reads better all at once. I'll have to re-read it sometime. It was cool to see Virginia's name in a Batman title, though.

I'm not completely sold on Robinson's OYL story either. He might be building to something good, and I like his other work enough that I'm willing to stick with it, but yeah, other than seeing some C-list Batman villains getting killed off, it is pretty generic. Also, I think that ever since the "Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive" storyline, the Batman books have been pretty crappy, but I personally could have gone longer without returning everything to the status quo, with Gordon and Bullock both back like nothing happened. I would've been happy if they had just retconned away the stupid "evil Leslie" story.
Old 04-12-06, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I feel ya. The only headliner book I read from either company is Superman/Batman. Seriously, it's such a fun book. And for some reason, all that alternate reality crap doesn't bother me on bit.
Old 04-12-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone think Gail Simone kicks ass? I love Birds of Prey. One of my favorite books each and every month. And her OYL storyline so far has me very, very interested. She always creates such fun stories.

I finally read IC 5. Eh. I think I should've just waited for #7 when all the good stuff happens.

Also reading SUPERMAN CHRONICLES. Man, Superman was a dick back in the day. And Lois was a certified beotch.
Old 04-12-06, 09:42 AM

I really liked S/B until the last couple of issues. I even liked the beginning of the alternate universe Ultimates. The lateness sort of made me lose interest lately. I will reread them all together when #25 hits. Very curious how #26 and #27 will be.

I've always wondered - Did Loeb know he was getting the Ultimates 3 gig at Marvel when he was spoofing the team in S/B? It was announced publicly until after a couple of those issues I believe.
Old 04-12-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
You know, i read these monthly posts and you guys as some hard fuggers to please. I don't know how the Comic biz stays above water with hard to please folks like ya'll and I know you're just a small sampling of the wider picture so there's tons more of you out there.

I'll say it again you guys are too jaded and you'ver lost your sense of "wow!" when it comes to comics.

edited to add:
I just finished Infinite Crisis #6 and I don't see how anyone could read it and not be blown away. Even before the last few pages it was pretty intense. I read it with my eyes wide open like a eager kid.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 04-12-06 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-12-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone read the past couple of issues of Planetary? It seems like we're in for a doozy for the next 2 issues (the last two issue of the series).
Old 04-12-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm still amazed at some comics that I read. Last week was a stellar week - Planetary, Y: TLM, and Ex Machina, all in the same bag!
Old 04-12-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I picked up the Young Avnegers trade today on a whim since it was a slow week and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how much I am enjoying it. Looks like I may have to add something else to my monthly order (ugh, just what the wallet needs). Now I just have to decide to keep Y and Ex-Machina as trades or monthlies, I cant make up my mind. They are my favorite books, and I cant get enough of them, but they read so well as trades. Damn decisions.
Old 04-13-06, 10:33 AM

I agree with your Young Avengers comment, FvsD. It's good fun. I doubt the HC has all the letter pages but I was surprised at the reactions of some of the readers towards a certain controversial relationship. I guess the letters were about 50/50 for and against, but damn if some weren't scathing. Looking forward to Heinbergs Wonder Woman, but I guess YA will be put on the back burner for awhile (maybe next year?) so your pull list won't be too inflated.

I picked up Battle For Bludhaven yesterday. Great art and story so far. Sort of mirrors New Orleans in a way. I'm sure that had some influence. Picked up Batman year 100 too. Both of these I figured I'd have no interest in when I made my DCBS orders.
Old 04-13-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Both of these I figured I'd have no interest in when I made my DCBS orders.
By far the biggest drawback of ordering 2 months in advance.
Old 04-13-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm having my LCS order me one of those new Power Girl figures (ships in September).
Old 04-13-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't really like the Battle for Bludhaven - why do they even need to write an allegory for a real life event that no one but the most insane people would agree was a horrible tragedy?
Old 04-13-06, 01:09 PM

Maybe because it keeps the tragedy that hasn't been completely resolved fresh in peoples minds? Maybe the writers feel strongly about some aspects of the tragedy and want to bring situations to light in their own way?

I like comics and stories that parallel reality. Civil War interests me because of that which seems to deal with civil liberties to some extent. And then I REALLY enjoy BSG because of all the parallels with the war on terror, extremism etc . . .
Old 04-13-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone here know anything about Manga? I picked up BATTLE CLUB #1 and really enjoyed it. It was a bit silly, but certainly entertaining. Anyway, several bits of the images were "fuzzed" out (a la COPS). The bits were the naughty bits, obviously.

I can't tell if that is part of the running joke, or if it's only censored here in America. Any ideas?
Old 04-13-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,501 Posts
Japanese media usually censors that kind of stuff... so it's not censorship done by Tokyopop.
Old 04-13-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Wait, wait wait,....Birds of Prey #92 OYL Question:

Spoiler:
I thought Lady Shiva(Batgirl's mom) died in the the last Batgirl issue? Now she's working with the Birds? WTF?
Old 04-13-06, 02:07 PM

I think she was hung over a Lazarus Pit and presumably fell into it off panel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.